The General PC Questions Thread

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct place.

I have an old Toshiba Satellite, working fine up until just before Xmas.

Was letting the niece mess around with it, don't believe she done anything silly on the laptop, but looks like it has something to do with Windows 10.

It keeps looping trying to update, but can't. I've tried repairing or restoring to a previous version but no success, believe after 30 days the restore doesn't work and unfortunately looks like it doesn't automatically back-up to an earlier time.

So basically I'm stuck on this continual loop.

I have tried online and downloaded some boot disk thingy (or USB), however it still doesn't work when I try repairing/restoring from there.

Main thing is I don't want to lose the data on the hard-disk. I can get in through C: prompt, but that will take time to copy over, but willing to do that.

Could take it to a shop, but not sure what they will end up doing and how much.

I don't seem to have any windows disk for the original (the old windows sticker is worn so can't see numbers). And as I said don't want to erase c: or anything like that and lose my data.

Into the bargain I had my external HD pack up, the blue light keeps flashing and I can't power on.

IT's an old Freecom unit, a PATA unit, anyone aware if I can use it on one of those quick reader things, I've tried searching online but it keeps taking me to a SATA reader, but not sure if that would work.

Hope I've explained that okay, not very good at this PC tech stuff.

TIA

FD

Back
Top Bottom