The Retro FIFA Discussion Thread (All FIFA games by EA are welcome!)

Well i downloaded it last night and installed my trusted copy of FIFA 14 from Origin that I completely forgot about (I looked on CD keys too first and was shocked to see it cost so much - £16.49 to be specific! You can't even buy it off of Origin anymore either which is a shame. This is what game preservation has come to, Either pay more than you would for a year old regular PS4 game for a last gen game or piracy. You can argue that games as art should hold a good value as a lot of labour went to into the process of creating it and you can be shocked to see some of these football games gathering dust for less than £1 in second shops but the inconsistency can be jarring above all. But I digress...

Anyway, Downloaded the patch, Downloaded the stadiums with it too and you're right - It's like a totally different game... It's like in another universe where EA made a special football encyclopaedia edition paying homage to the sports forefathers, legendary club and national squads and those iconic tournaments!

That's how polished this patch is, Thousands of players I wasn't expecting to be recreated with faces either. Admittedly the game doesn't look as good as FIFA 16 but it doesn't look bad either, I think the more cartoony, stylised art style of the game actually compliments the theme of the mod that it's classic players and makes it look a lot more like a video game than uncanny valley.

Most importantly, The gameplay holds up really, really well. It's a great balance between simulation, fantastically fluid animations and fun responsive gameplay.

Another day, Another retro football awakening. Wow.

It actually looks more like FIFA 07 PS2 to me if I'm not mistaken just because of the ball physics alone? I remember getting the PS2 version of 07 a month before getting the Xbox 360 version and thinking it actually wasn't so bad because the ball physics gave you a sense of unpredictability for the first time on that system. Here I am talking about 07 on the 360, Waiting that extra month for a next gen experience which at the time was experimental compared to 08, But with far less media to consume before release back then compared to now, It really was a mystery with what to expect with that game at the time and it was so exciting.

Now, We're not long off the first next gen football game and we're yet to see the proof in the pudding. Will it be a ground breaking new football experience from another world, The likes of which we never thought was possible in our lifetimes or will it be more like FIFA 14 PS4, More like a port with more animation frames and internet breaking textures on Mbappé's ****ing hair...
Ι am not sure 100% what editition it replicates, cause i had 2007 for PC. i assume it was equivalent of PS2 version. It is difficult to say if its base is 05, 06 or 07 cause i see pieces from each version.

It is like the FIFA 2020 for Nintendo Switch. It is supposed to be Legacy edition, but it is a mystery what of legacy is. 2018 looks pretty match like FIFA 2016 PS4, the body models are taller and thinner as in Ignite engine. Even after one year now, i cannot tell for sure, if 2020 Legacy edition,is a legacy of 2017-2018-2019 or of all of the above.

The same applies for me, for FIFA on PSP, i see familiar parts here and there, but i cannot tell for sure.
Here is some FIFA 18 footage for Switch.

@MafiaMurderBag:

Well i downloaded it last night and installed my trusted copy of FIFA 14 from Origin that I completely forgot about (I looked on CD keys too first and was shocked to see it cost so much - £16.49 to be specific! You can't even buy it off of Origin anymore either which is a shame. This is what game preservation has come to, Either pay more than you would for a year old regular PS4 game for a last gen game or piracy. You can argue that games as art should hold a good value as a lot of labour went to into the process of creating it and you can be shocked to see some of these football games gathering dust for less than £1 in second shops but the inconsistency can be jarring above all. But I digress...
(...)

You know, I have to get a bit philosophical here - but then again our conversations usually do...-: this to me is the result of a lack of an established retro culture: no one has a clue about each of these retro games' actual value on our modern setting. What do we do? Do we...sell them for nothing (I will never forget getting PES5 for fifty cents...the steal of the century), or we just slam a random pricetag because who cares about old games? Or do we just stop selling them because we don't want people to play anything but our modern title? To the vast majority of people nowadays, sellers and buyers alike, these are just old games, nothing more to it.

Imagine opening up a history book, reading only the last page because it narrates the most recent happenings and then throwing the book away because the rest doesn't matter. It's madness. Now we're picking it up and showcasing how fascinating the rest of that history is: and this is how I sneakily take this opportunity to congratulate you on your latest video about FIFA16, fantastic work!

Does anyone have the dlcs / updates for the Fifa WC 2010 PS3 game?

I seem to remember there was extra kits for teams like Peru & Chile as well as adboards.

Playing fifa 15 now. Cpu received 1 red, 1 double yellow (red) and 3 yellow cards in a 6 minutes per half game. Fun! Fifa 15 is better then 16 on the Xbox one I think. I think in the last updates of fifa 16 the game was already to much focused on FUT. And I don’t have a pc to mod fifa 16. So here we are 6 years earlier then fifa 21 and the game is so much better. Now I want to try fifa 14 also.

Played a lot of FIFA 14 yesterday (XB1) and I must say it's a pretty damn good game.

Back when 16 was released I could understand the hype for it,but now looking back ,I'm deffo holding 14 before 16,I even have 15 before 16.

The only issue I have been s the fact that you're spoiled with modern FIFA's having tons of stadiums etc.
But,14 gameplay wise,probably the best FIFA last gen

Last edited:
Playing fifa 15 now. Now I want to try fifa 14 also.
FIFA 14 for Xbox One is a very good game. You won't be disappointed IMO. Its graphics aren't on par with the FIFA 15/FIFA 16 ones (despite being based on Ignite, it still looks kinda "impact engine-ish") but it's a very good game nonetheless.

FIFA 14 for Xbox One is a very good game. You won't be disappointed IMO. Its graphics aren't on par with the FIFA 15/FIFA 16 ones (despite being based on Ignite, it still looks kinda "impact engine-ish") but it's a very good game nonetheless.
Yes i’m playing it right now! Very good! I think the best version on xbox one. I’m little bit jealous if I watch fifa 16 on pc with all the patches. I think if ea didn’t tweak fifa 16 for the FUTboys that was the best game.
the point is the ai in fifa 14 is best and i’m playing offline.
which fifa on xbox one/ps4 do you guys prefer?

The first game I ever bought was FIFA 2004 in late 2003. I enjoyed it playing for years, it has been pure nostalgia for me. I even remember buying a CD that had Turkish Super League patch (replacing Belgian Jupiler Pro). Over 16 years I occassionally installed and uninstalled it in different times. What I was disappointed was that I could never find an appropiate universal patch.

Does anyone advise any mods for it that has stadiums, UCL, large range of teams etc? Anything advised? (For FIFA 2004 PC) Later years there were amazing mods, but none good exist for FIFA 2004 :(

Yes i’m playing it right now! Very good! I think the best version on xbox one. I’m little bit jealous if I watch fifa 16 on pc with all the patches. I think if ea didn’t tweak fifa 16 for the FUTboys that was the best game.
the point is the ai in fifa 14 is best and i’m playing offline.
which fifa on xbox one/ps4 do you guys prefer?
FIFA 14 for both Xbox One and PC is a Hell of a game. For the former it has Ignite (better visuals, better atmosphere and such), for the latter it has mods... Tons of them!
FIFA 16 too is a great game, but I agree with you when you say that the AI is a little better/more varied in FIFA 14.
Both of them are worth the money (even because they really don't cost much now).

Man, I really, really want to buy a PS3/XBOX 360 to play both 2010 and 2014 World Cup games. I tried emulating them but my PC is just under the requirements. Those are such well done games, being to play full qualifiers or being the captain of your national team...

Man, I really, really want to buy a PS3/XBOX 360 to play both 2010 and 2014 World Cup games. I tried emulating them but my PC is just under the requirements. Those are such well done games, being to play full qualifiers or being the captain of your national team...
Both 360 and PS3 are dirt cheap to get.
I got a 360 250gb this summer (after finally getting rid of my PS3) for around €45,two controllers 15 games (FIFA 8/9/10 and Pes 6/8/12/13)

One would recommend looking for a slim PS3 and jailbreak it, just for the emulation.

Both 360 and PS3 are dirt cheap to get.
I got a 360 250gb this summer (after finally getting rid of my PS3) for around €45,two controllers 15 games (FIFA 8/9/10 and Pes 6/8/12/13)
45 euros?! I can only dream such price here in Chile. People sell it for 100 euros, when I sold my PS4 about two years ago with 15+ games for 215 euros.

One would recommend looking for a slim PS3 and jailbreak it, just for the emulation.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking. I will try to look for a cheap one with a controller and just search online how to jailbreak it and I can download the ISO's online.

45 euros?! I can only dream such price here in Chile. People sell it for 100 euros, when I sold my PS4 about two years ago with 15+ games for 215 euros
Ouch!
That's pretty expensive.
Hope you'll find a cheap one,guess importing with toll and freight is out for f the question.

45 euros?! I can only dream such price here in Chile. People sell it for 100 euros, when I sold my PS4 about two years ago with 15+ games for 215 euros.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. I will try to look for a cheap one with a controller and just search online how to jailbreak it and I can download the ISO's online.

Totally worth it. This is the tutorial I used:

An external hard drive is a valuable addition too, to store all those ISOs!

Or maybe it's 2006 FIFA World Cup.

I'll admit to loving Inno di Mameli. I think it makes all other national anthems sound like nails down a chalkboard. But there's something quite wonderful about it as the backdrop to your match highlights.

"i use triangle as sprint button."

Saw this in @Tom's sig - didn't PS1 era FIFA need you to tap the triangle button to sprint? I remember only having '99 (with Fatboy Slim on the intro) XD
----
I also saw @slamsoze's note about CRTs and SCART cables. Make sure you get a REAL RGB cable, composite is crap. Most CRTs from about the mid-90s onwards could display 60Hz/NTSC signals but it is worth mentioning that emulators do tend to screw up PAL-region games.

Main reason LCDs and others are crap for older systems though is because the deinterlacers in them just aren't designed to work properly, they're basically a fallback as everything around HDTVs are designed to be around progressive scan mode only. The only one I can think of with a semi-decent interlacer would be the SONY BRAVIA LCD TVs from the 2000s, which are the only TVs I'm aware of supporting 288p over component/HDMI. Might be useful for those using PS1 on PS2.

That, also mentioned the aspect ratio being 4:3 for most games and other media back then - which means black vertical bars not to mention the obligatory PAL Black Borders look even worse on an LCD than they used to on a CRT (most PS2 games were optimised thankfully, but the actual unit has to output slightly less than the maximum lines it should be displaying to accomodate for the framebuffer IIRC as do other consoles - on LCDs, there is some underscan/overscan as a result of this and the below thing).

LCDs use square pixels while CRTs don't, they render using lines (625 in PAL system typically which some are unused, leaving 576 total). You could theoretically just turn the sharpness to 0 if you really need to, honestly one of the best things you can do as the PS2 output is grainy anyway (which is why YPbPr looks inferior to RGB particularly on earlier pre-50003 units)

Also, DON'T USE PS2 SLIM, IT SCRATCHES DISCS due to an issue with the ribbon cable glue eventually melting over time

Last edited:
"i use triangle as sprint button."

Saw this in @Tom's sig - didn't PS1 era FIFA need you to tap the triangle button to sprint? I remember only having '99 (with Fatboy Slim on the intro) XD
----
I also saw @slamsoze's note about CRTs and SCART cables. Make sure you get a REAL RGB cable, composite is crap. Most CRTs from about the mid-90s onwards could display 60Hz/NTSC signals but it is worth mentioning that emulators do tend to screw up PAL-region games.

Main reason LCDs and others are crap for older systems though is because the deinterlacers in them just aren't designed to work properly, they're basically a fallback as everything around HDTVs are designed to be around progressive scan mode only. The only one I can think of with a semi-decent interlacer would be the SONY BRAVIA LCD TVs from the 2000s, which are the only TVs I'm aware of supporting 288p over component/HDMI. Might be useful for those using PS1 on PS2.

That, also mentioned the aspect ratio being 4:3 for most games and other media back then - which means black vertical bars not to mention the obligatory PAL Black Borders look even worse on an LCD than they used to on a CRT (most PS2 games were optimised thankfully, but the actual unit has to output slightly less than the maximum lines it should be displaying to accomodate for the framebuffer IIRC as do other consoles - on LCDs, there is some underscan/overscan as a result of this and the below thing).

LCDs use square pixels while CRTs don't, they render using lines (625 in PAL system typically which some are unused, leaving 576 total). You could theoretically just turn the sharpness to 0 if you really need to, honestly one of the best things you can do as the PS2 output is grainy anyway (which is why YPbPr looks inferior to RGB particularly on earlier pre-50003 units)

Also, DON'T USE PS2 SLIM, IT SCRATCHES DISCS due to an issue with the ribbon cable glue eventually melting over time
IIRC up to FIFA 2005,or 2004, maybe i am wrong about the edition, you had to tap the sprint button repeatedly, which was very uncomfort.

I bought FIFA 11 last week. I used to have it on console but I hadn't touched it in many years.

I'm very far down the retro rabbit hole at this point and I have to say I'm really enjoying 11, it's great fun. The passing in general is more satisfying than lots of other FIFA titles.

I think the thing which is most obvious is that it's CLEARLY a better game than FIFA 18, 19, 20 and 21. Is it perfect? Certainly not, but it's got more fundamentals right than those titles. If I'm having to think about my passes and trying to gain space and create chances then that's a pretty big plus for me. The defensive line is too high quite often, but after all of these modern titles having very little to no midfield resistance at all I actually welcome it. Even the turf looks better than FIFA 21. I haven't played the 2010 WC game since it came out either, but from those who have, how does 11 on PC compare to it?

Last edited:
I bought FIFA 11 last week. I used to have it on console but I hadn't touched it in many years.

I'm very far down the retro rabbit hole at this point and I have to say I'm really enjoying 11. There's more weight to the ball which I really like and passing in general is more satisfying than lots of other FIFA titles.

I think the thing which is most clear is that it's CLEARLY a better game than FIFA 18, 19, 20 and 21. Is it perfect? Certainly not, but it's got more fundamentals right than those titles. if I'm having to think about my passes and trying to gain space and create chances then that's a pretty big plus for me. The defensive line is too high quite often, but after all of these modern titles having very little to no midfield resistance at all I actually welcome it. Even the turf looks better than FIFA 21. I haven't played the 2010 WC game since it came out either, but from those who have, how does 11 on PC compare to it?
Νice to read this from you. As i've said in the past, FIFA 2011 is praised so much by the greek FIFA community, it was something like the PES 5 of FIFA series. That was strange for me , cause here in Evoweb, games that are usually praised were 13 or 15, 16.

For me FIFA 2011 on PC is a very decent FIFA, one of the best i have played. The only downside for me is the pass speed, which seems too fast and without sliders in this game, i assume only an outter tool can fix it.

Νice to read this from you. As i've said in the past, FIFA 2011 is praised so much by the greek FIFA community, it was something like the PES 5 of FIFA series. That was strange for me , cause here in Evoweb, games that are usually praised were 13 or 15, 16.

For me FIFA 2011 on PC is a very decent FIFA, one of the best i have played. The only downside for me is the pass speed, which seems too fast and without sliders in this game, i assume only an outter tool can fix it.
Interesting, I didn't know it was considered that. Have you tried using Cheat Engine and then speed hack to slow it all down a little? How did you find FIFA 12 compared to 11?

Interesting, I didn't know it was considered that. Have you tried using Cheat Engine and then speed hack to slow it all down a little? How did you find FIFA 12 compared to 11?
Did n't use cheat engine to be honest. Sometimes i am default settings maniac, i try to play it as it is out of the package, regarding FIFAs of course. Also as i always used to focus on modding PES, i never invested time in FIFA modding.
And if 2012 and 2013 are same generation as 2011 they are the last FIFAs my laptop can run "decently".

As for 2012 i have not tried it. My PC FIFAs are 99, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2011. Then i start from 2016 up to 2020 on PS4. Some games are missing pieces for me.

@Anth James Also you did not know it, cause i have not seen anyone from a European community to praise 2011, only in Greek community, as i said before. In contrast FIFA 2010 WC, is praised by everyone. 2011 does not attend the same love for some reason. Despite this, of course FIFA 2010 WC diserves all the praise for sure! I wish it was published for PC too!! :(

Is the FIFA 2011 PS3 version same generation with PC??? or is the PC a legacy* edition?

Back
Top Bottom