The Retro FIFA Discussion Thread (All FIFA games by EA are welcome!)

@Anth James Also you did not know it, cause i have not seen anyone from a European community to praise 2011, only in Greek community, as i said before. In contrast FIFA 2010 WC, is praised by everyone. 2011 does not attend the same love for some reason. Despite this, of course FIFA 2010 WC diserves all the praise for sure! I wish it was published for PC too!! :(

Is the FIFA 2011 PS3 version same generation with PC??? or is the PC a legacy* edition?
I'm pretty sure it's the same version as PS3 but I'm not 100% on that. That's great you've got all of those older games on PC! I had them on console over the years going all the way back to FIFA 98 but they're long gone now. I still have FIFA 99 on the N64 at least haha.

View attachment 89115

Haven't played all of these yet, but a few more contenders to knock 06 of its perch!

This is rather remarkable consistency for a game cover for an annual title, especially one that evolved so much in this time. The design of them all transitions fairly smoothly, outside of the 05 to 06 cover, which occurred in every EA Sports title.

I didn't realize Rooney was the cover boy for FIFA for so long (over here in the US, we'd get him some of the years, some not, IIRC). You can actually see his hairline evolve over time.

Also funny to pinpoint the year Henry switched to PES and was replaced by...Vieira, Morientes and Sheva? What a strange trio that was...until Messi, Joe Hart and Oxlade-Chamberlain.

I seem to remember 2004 standing out as it had the Football League for the first time.
I think I have that one somewhere and it makes a big point of that on the back of the box. Guess for lower league fans (which there would be a lot of for local-town sentiment reasons) that's a quick fix and a good piece of advertisement.

re: FIFA 11, I have the PSP version sitting around here, I recall it being a bit ping-pongy compared to PES on those systems but it does have 360 degree dribbling with the analogue stick if I remember right

I'm pretty sure it's the same version as PS3 but I'm not 100% on that. That's great you've got all of those older games on PC! I had them on console over the years going all the way back to FIFA 98 but they're long gone now. I still have FIFA 99 on the N64 at least haha.
I think FIFA 11 on PC is basically FIFA 10 from PS3. I don't think FIFA's PC & Console versions were identical until FIFA 12.

And I actually played a bit of FIFA WC 2010 & FIFA 11 back to back a couple nights ago and once you get used to the blurry resolution and and the controls, It's a lot of fun. Of course it is, It's an old football game pre-bastardisation.

It is a bit fast I found though, Coming from FIFA 16 & 18 recently there's considerably less animation and inertia so it does feel like the second you receive the ball with a player they'll bolt in what ever direction to aim L stick at.

And opposition players hardly press realistically. This was the homing missile era where they sprint after you no matter where you are on the pitch like stubborn dogs who smell dinner in your shorts.

I think FIFA 11 on PC is basically FIFA 10 from PS3. I don't think FIFA's PC & Console versions were identical until FIFA 12.

And I actually played a bit of FIFA WC 2010 & FIFA 11 back to back a couple nights ago and once you get used to the blurry resolution and and the controls, It's a lot of fun. Of course it is, It's an old football game pre-bastardisation.

It is a bit fast I found though, Coming from FIFA 16 & 18 recently there's considerably less animation and inertia so it does feel like the second you receive the ball with a player they'll bolt in what ever direction to aim L stick at.

And opposition players hardly press realistically. This was the homing missile era where they sprint after you no matter where you are on the pitch like stubborn dogs who smell dinner in your shorts.
You're right - it is incredibly fun. It is quite fast like you said, especially compared to 12 (which I just got again now too haha). It's strange, even with those more arcade elements I can't help but find the 'idea' of some of these older, more primitive games better - and in certain ways I find them more realistic.

There's so many elements to 'realism' and I think there are ways which FIFA 11 (12, 11, 14, 16 - take your pick!) is more realistic vs FIFA 21 despite the obvious reasons why it isn't. I know it's by choice but I can't help just find FIFA 21 to be incredibly broken in gameplay. The team positioning is just all in the centre of the pitch, they don't shuffle across to create difficult passing lanes, the midfielders and defenders are so still, it just feels wrong and breaks down consistently. I can play 21 for 5 minutes and immediately get in down the wings 3 or 4 times in a row with virtually no resistance and create a clear scoring chance. For me this doesn't happen with the older titles on the same level of consistency.

None of this is new anyway, we all know it haha.

I think the only real way forward is for a change in philosophy - and we all know that is unlikely at this point! I'm glad we have these older games to go back to.

While I was digging my archives for the other retro topic, I felt into this. A strange bug, that a goal kick for the CPU team counted as goal!

The strange is that it happened to me in 2014, that I opened the game for an hour session, and never happened in 2006, when I was playing the career mode for more than a month!

Has anyone else witnessed similar situation?

PS: sorry for the quality! :)

I seem to remember 2004 standing out as it had the Football League for the first time.

Crazy that EA's current spectrum of leagues is heavily based on FIFA 2004. In previous games you see a wide variety of appearing leagues (Israel, Malaysia etc) and teams. I didn't know that FIFA 2003 haven't had Eredivisie and Portuguese League.

FIFA 2004 was the game that 2nd leagues debuted alongside England's first 4 leagues. Also I think FIFA2004 has been the base game for other PC releases too. I enjoyed the game a lot back then, I occassionally install it and enjoy it, after 18 years of its release. Graphics were crazy.

I wonder why there is a lack of mods/leagues occured for FIFA2004. Shame, I couldn't even find a Champions League mod.

While I was digging my archives for the other retro topic, I felt into this. A strange bug, that a goal kick for the CPU team counted as goal!

The strange is that it happened to me in 2014, that I opened the game for an hour session, and never happened in 2006, when I was playing the career mode for more than a month!

Has anyone else witnessed similar situation?

PS: sorry for the quality! :)
Yeah this happened to me on many occasions back then, Really ruined many a CM.

Yeah this happened to me on many occasions back then, Really ruined many a CM.
It is really strange. I wonder whats the trigger, as it does not seem to be some graphics collision, like ball clipping in the post or in the outer side of the nets, etc..

I remember playing FIFA on the N64, it was a very weird game, but a lot of fun. When I transitioned to WE I remember missing some of the features I had seen on FIFA, but I can't quite remember what the features actually were, I think there was more stuff to do on Training Mode? Sorry for being so vague, I just didn't find any videos showing the other game modes of FIFA 64.

I remember playing FIFA on the N64, it was a very weird game, but a lot of fun. When I transitioned to WE I remember missing some of the features I had seen on FIFA, but I can't quite remember what the features actually were, I think there was more stuff to do on Training Mode? Sorry for being so vague, I just didn't find any videos showing the other game modes of FIFA 64.
IIRC FIFA64 was the equivalent of FIFA97? Cause 98, RTWC 98 and 99 FIFAs had proper annual numbers on N64.

IIRC FIFA64 was the equivalent of FIFA97? Cause 98, RTWC 98 and 99 FIFAs had proper annual numbers on N64.
I think you could easily consider FIFA 64 a prototype of sorts for FIFA 98 or even the actual 98 game, since what's called FIFA 98 was a game based directly on the World Cup, they were released 2 months apart from each other.

Glitch in FIFA 2000 or 2001 where I celebrated scoring a free kick, only for the ref to give the CPU a goal kick. On the replay, it went in the corner, through the side netting and hit the stanchion at the back of the goal.
From that day I was convinced that because the ref was classed as CPU, he would always side with the opposition...in any football game.

I think you could easily consider FIFA 64 a prototype of sorts for FIFA 98 or even the actual 98 game
Nah, not much.
I have both of them and they're too much different from each other.
FIFA 64 is way closer to FIFA 97 PC than it is to FIFA RTWC 98 (which is the actual '98 game, which was then succeeded by World Cup '98), so I think it's the former.
As much as it can matter, it also has Bebeto on the cover (like FIFA 97 had in some countries, while other regions had Ginola on the cover).

Nah, not much.
I have both of them and they're too much different from each other.
FIFA 64 is way closer to FIFA 97 PC than it is to FIFA RTWC 98 (which is the actual '98 game, which was then succeeded by World Cup '98), so I think it's the former.
As much as it can matter, it also has Bebeto on the cover (like FIFA 97 had in some countries, while other regions had Ginola on the cover).
Yeah, I also think the former is more likely. It's just that FIFA 64 came in March, way too late into the 1996-97 season. It was totally atypical for a football game, in my perspective.
I just brought up the possibility of it being more like a FIFA 98 because we've had some occasions of World Cups having their own separate games within the FIFA series.

Kinda sucks that EA play is removing FIFA 15-16-17-18 soon.
got to buy a copy of 18 to keep those games alive.
If you do buy a copy of FIFA 18, don’t do it on CD Keys. I bought it the other day but Origin said the key they provided me had already been activated, and I have been waiting for their customer service to fix the issue since.

If you do buy a copy of FIFA 18, don’t do it on CD Keys. I bought it the other day but Origin said the key they provided me had already been activated, and I have been waiting for their customer service to fix the issue since.
Oh man,that sucks.
Hope you'll get that sorted mate.
I'll most likely buy it on disc (Xbox)
Still have 15+17 on disc,and 16 came with my Xbox one when I bought it back in 2015.
I really liked playing 18 and I'm going to search for a copy.
Fingers crossed,for both of us

Ended up playing a good bit of FIFA 11 on DS tonight. Great wee game. AI is a bit daft, which I hope disappears as I move up the difficulty levels, but there's a lovely pace to it and you can play football. Career Mode - pretty stripped back - has enough to keep you entertained with a basic transfer market and training.

I'm considering start collecting Ps4 versions of Fifas I'm interested in (practically, in a way or another, all from 14 to 21). Then, there will always be time to grab a console.

With the current, destructive climate, I wouldn't want to have surprises.

FiFA 10 ps3 emulation gone wrong:

View attachment 111728
View attachment 111729

Cursed
A "laughing face" reaction emoji isn't enough, I've got to reply to say; HAHAHAHA!

"Boss, the goalkeeper's been in an accident - he says he was asleep on a sofa bed, and his wife accidentally folded it up with him still inside it."

"I'm sure he'll be alright to play, get him on the pit- oh my God."

Been playing a lot of fifa 15 and 16 the last week after buying those games again.
Playing them on my ps5.

Fifa 16 vanilla is an excellent game, however I seem to be enjoying '15 more.
On 15 you have a lot more low driven shots, something you cannot do in '16, unless you choose to do a driven pass instead.

Also i find '15 really tough. Used the os sliders and am doing a bundesliga with an average team : I'm having a hard time and loving it.
The midfield is there, lot's of battles which i lose.
Having a hard time scoring as well, so i may have to adjust the sliders a bit in my favor.

Then I booted Fifa 20 just for a few games.
Ok, the graphics on the ps5 look really great.
And it's a very fluid game.
But man : it is really noticable that on the frostbite engine the animations to a big downturn.
Maybe animations is not the right word, as they have a lot more now. But they seem to be missing some frames in order to keep the game fluid.
There is no weight to the player anymore compared to 15, players can basically do anything at full speed, if needed we will just skip a few frames.
The skating is much much worse than in the older games, and lot's of things simply look weird.

Really hoping this will be improved, but i doubt it.

Well, back to 15 for me.

Been playing a lot of fifa 15 and 16 the last week after buying those games again.
Playing them on my ps5.

Fifa 16 vanilla is an excellent game, however I seem to be enjoying '15 more.
On 15 you have a lot more low driven shots, something you cannot do in '16, unless you choose to do a driven pass instead.

Also i find '15 really tough. Used the os sliders and am doing a bundesliga with an average team : I'm having a hard time and loving it.
The midfield is there, lot's of battles which i lose.
Having a hard time scoring as well, so i may have to adjust the sliders a bit in my favor.

Then I booted Fifa 20 just for a few games.
Ok, the graphics on the ps5 look really great.
And it's a very fluid game.
But man : it is really noticable that on the frostbite engine the animations to a big downturn.
Maybe animations is not the right word, as they have a lot more now. But they seem to be missing some frames in order to keep the game fluid.
There is no weight to the player anymore compared to 15, players can basically do anything at full speed, if needed we will just skip a few frames.
The skating is much much worse than in the older games, and lot's of things simply look weird.

Really hoping this will be improved, but i doubt it.

Well, back to 15 for me.
The thing is, FiFA 15 feels responsive asf. Like literally, player movement is almost instantaneous to your inputs.

And yet you can feel the weight of the players and momentum compared to Fifa 19,20,21.

"Don't fix what ain't broken"

They should have stayed with Fifa 15, 16's formula and improved upon that. I personally prefer 16's AI more but like the responsive movements of 15 more.

Hmm ,not sure if this is the right thread.
But here goes.
How was the FIFA manager games?
Remember having one back when (one of the first one's)
You could manage and play right?
Did it have sliders?

Hmm ,not sure if this is the right thread.
But here goes.
How was the FIFA manager games?
Remember having one back when (one of the first one's)
You could manage and play right?
Did it have sliders?
They were fairly awful IMO, but there is still a community out there that plays them, I think.

Back in the day, there was a thing called "Football Fusion" where you could connect FIFA 2004 to Total Club Manager 2004. It's the dream... In-between matches, you manage your team with full management-game features (players whose morale changes in a realistic manner depending on if they're playing or not, negotiating contracts, answering to the press)...

But it was a pain to do it - to save your game, then quit, load up the other game, import it, play for a bit, then save it, quit, import it back again...

...and FIFA was awful at the time, let alone the management game (which was okay apart from the match engine, but still nothing compared to Championship Manager or, as it's now known, Football Manager).

Back
Top Bottom