The general WC 2010 thread: is this a good World Cup?

This works only with Plasma and LCD screens,try this settings for less Vuvuzela sound in games...

335b0p1.jpg

milanista said:
It doesn't necessarily mean its a bad thing, maybe the overall abilities of teams has gone up.
i agree with u stef. it's definitely not a bad thing. the more u go back in time, the more u can witness one sided matches.

but in my opinion it's not a matter of increased skills or abilities. the eastern european school has always produces great talents, for instance.

the point is today we know each other much better than we used to do 20, 30 and 40 years ago.
the tv coverage is the main responsible of this revolution. the ammount of tv matches broadcasted by televisions all over the world has increase hugely over the last 30 years.

in 1980, for instance, if a coach wanted to know how another national team played, he had to travel and watch that team playing live (or send scouts to do that, but 20 years ago scouts weren't as common as they are today).
30 years ago coaches didn't know the other teams as much as they do today, hence they just used to display their own football, regardless the opponents.

the coach who gave us the world cup in 1982 (bearzot) was a former unemployed coach. and since he had lots of time in his hands, before getting the national team assignemt, he travelled around europe and south america, precisely to improve his knowledge and to get to know the other football schools. that was a key factor in italy's victory, as it gave us a huge advantage.
in 1982 no one outside italy really knew how italy used to play, while italy (by italy i mean our coach) knew very pretty much everything about england, france, germany, spain, argentina and brazil.

today the situation is very different. all national teams coaches, all around the world know how every other teams play. it doesn't matter if u coach paraguay or south korea, it doesn't matter if u live on the other side of the world and have never been in europe..... television still allows u to know everything about your upcoming opponents, about their players, their schemes, their tendencies.

that obviously gives u a lot of material to work with and makes matches a lot more interesting and less one sided (despite the quality gap there might be between different teams)...... but it also makes matches a lot more "tight" and tactical than before. it's globalization applied to football.

to me that's a huge improvement. i value the quality of the football much more than the excitement that might come from a goal, so a very tight and balanced match is more interesting to me than a one sided match between 2 teams who don't know each others.
i guess it's a matter of perspectives. :))

Last edited:
I think most people don't understand what my point was (obviously my mistake then).
I have nothing against "tight" or even "closed" matches...the suspense in those matches is great. I am one of the people who admires Inter for the way they won the CL...i prefer Barcelona's football but i enjoy myself during those chess games.
I do have the impression however that the quality (technical) of the football during this WC is quite low. There is something wrong with the passing and with the shots from distance...maybe i'm very subjective...i don't know.

But the thing is that we are not having tight matches, more like teams that have nothing to offer, not even a good counter attack.

They just sit back and you can feel their tension as they keep passing side to side and eventually try a long ball.

This 1st round was more like tense than tight, but like I said already is always like this at major tournaments, except from Germany remember they 'go for it' in '06 too :COOL:
but I think pretty soon we'll have some open awesome matches.

But then again at the knock out rounds tension will be back big time.

I think most people don't understand what my point was (obviously my mistake then).
I have nothing against "tight" or even "closed" matches...the suspense in those matches is great. I am one of the people who admires Inter for the way they won the CL...i prefer Barcelona's football but i enjoy myself during those chess games.
I do have the impression however that the quality (technical) of the football during this WC is quite low. There is something wrong with the passing and with the shots from distance...maybe i'm very subjective...i don't know.

Capello says the players are finding it hard to control the ball when it is played at them because it does deviate and bounce more.

Nice one FIFA. More interested in preventing ambush marketing than the actual game and other important issues within the game.

As I did, I think it's not true to say those were only first matches. Those were 1/4 of the whole tournament.

As I did, I think it's not true to say those were only first matches. Those were 1/4 of the whole tournament.

But they were the opening matches for all of the countries. No team knew for sure where they stood and the pressure on the players mainly came from the typical "try not to lose"-mentality.
Now, in the next round, many teams will have to come up with a lot more than that if they want to keep their chances alive to survive in their respective groups.
I'm confident the overall quality of the tournament will increase from now on.

Chile was unstoppable, at 80' they were better than the most teams in speed and hunger. Well done Chile. Be carefull Spain

Last edited:
Didn't see the Chile game. Started at 730 a.m. so I didn't watch, but the Spain and Switzerland. Wow! Good game.

I have nothing against "tight" or even "closed" matches...
I do have the impression however that the quality (technical) of the football during this WC is quite low.
sauce said:
But the thing is that we are not having tight matches, more like teams that have nothing to offer, not even a good counter attack.

They just sit back and you can feel their tension as they keep passing side to side and eventually try a long ball.
i see. i can't very well comment on that, as i had the chance and time to watch only a few games sadly.
but i tend to agree with rentalkid on this matter. the first matches aren't usually really nice to watch and the tournament usually gets more exciting after the first round. :))

I agree its totally outrageous. Just goes to show how FIFA has become so driven with greed whilst constantly brown-nosing the corporate goons. It is a plain orange dress for goodness' sake. I have also read stories elsewhere of locals being threatened by FIFA officials just for selling rival beer in the vicinity of the stadium, just because Budweiser is the official beer of the competition (and tastes like pee, frankly).

Also, related to this, ITV sacked Robbie Earle as a pundit for flogging his tickets which got into the hands of the women wearing the orange dresses. Ironic really, when you consider the corrupt Jack Warner (FIFA vice-president) did exactly the same thing at the last World Cup and made $1million out of it. Just got to hope someone makes up a story about Mark Bright flogging complimentary tickets now. :P

I think it'll pick up over the coming games as teams will have to go for results.

I do think as already mentioned that the technical skills side doesn't seem to great, regardless of the ball.

Not so much dribbling and skills.

FD

Back
Top Bottom