The jobs/school thread

E

El Diego

I applied for an IT Systems engineer job two weeks ago and had to compete with 48 other applicants. I found out yesterday that I got the job and start on Monday! Salary starts at £30,000 P.A. and goes up to £40-60k after I have completed my course.

What do you guys do in regards to work or study? Where do you do it and do you enjoy it?

Currently doing a BTEC in Media Production at college, absolutely love it. You can see some of the films I've made on my myspace page.

As for work, its weekends I'm afraid at Sainsburys. But its money in the bank!

I applied for an IT Systems engineer job two weeks ago and had to compete with 48 other applicants. I found out yesterday that I got the job and start on Monday! Salary starts at £30,000 P.A. and goes up to £40-60k after I have completed my course.

What do you guys do in regards to work or study? Where do you do it and do you enjoy it?

PAH! i beat 112,000 applicants to my job (one of 16) - applied a couple of months before the 2002 world cup and finally started in june 2004, following a two-year process consisting of about 6 panel interviews (technical and personnel) and a shit-load of computer, psychometric and aptitude tests...

but well done to you, regardless!! :) it's tough to get a good job nowadays...

I'm currently working for a pizza production company as a production shift planner, having done previous work for the same employer initially as a factory operative, then a continuous improvement administrator and recently a retail analyst working in commercial. It's only temporary as cover due to the regular staff set to take holidays but the company see me as an asset and want to keep me on, just at the moment they haven't got a permanent role just yet and are giving me bits of work here and there until something is available.

Seems rather odd working in this industry when last year I graduated with a 2:2 in BSc Internet & Multimedia, but at the moment the jobs that suited my studies are a bit far away to commute to but I have intentions of moving house so see what happens. In the meantime I'm getting decent money, just that I work every other weekend which is a twat.

I'm currently in my first year of sixth form studying AS levels (I'm still confused as to whether it's A/AS/A2/whatever)

got 6 A's and the 7 B's last year for GCSE which I was quite proud of

can't be bothered getting a job though, because I'm too lazy, and I'll probably fail my studies this year, because of said lazyness, so at the moment, not looking too good

I'm currently in my third year studying human medicine in Universidad San Martín in Perú. I haven't worked never yet.

Post #1146

Last edited:
I'm currently in my first year of sixth form studying AS levels (I'm still confused as to whether it's A/AS/A2/whatever)

got 6 A's and the 7 B's last year for GCSE which I was quite proud of

can't be bothered getting a job though, because I'm too lazy, and I'll probably fail my studies this year, because of said lazyness, so at the moment, not looking too good

You are joking right? :roll:

I am loving my new job. It's very rewarding and I get my first pay packet tomorrow. Wooooop!

Question to any of you guys with CVs. Do you think its relevant if I put stuff down from primary school? I mean, I've got some achievements, but I'm not sure if I should put them down. I'm applying for an American company's marketing department for the summer.

You never include primary school details as it makes you look desperate, and it's irrelevant information anyway; you couldn't apply for a decent job with primary-school-only education, so it's pointless information that wouldn't impress anybody.

hmm I don't know. If you can show that you were intelligent and mature even at a young age, it has got to stand you in good stead. Maybe I'm just naive. Tis a dog eat dog world I guess.

If you don't mind me asking El_Diego, what sort of IT qualifications do you have (Cisco etc)

and congrats on the job. It sounds rather comfortable ;)

hmm I don't know. If you can show that you were intelligent and mature even at a young age, it has got to stand you in good stead. Maybe I'm just naive. Tis a dog eat dog world I guess.

Thats what my mum told me. She said that some stuff can show you had qualities at a young age and had a strong environment around me during my youth.

If you don't mind me asking El_Diego, what sort of IT qualifications do you have (Cisco etc)

and congrats on the job. It sounds rather comfortable ;)

Cheers mate. I don't have any qualifications, I am doing a 'train-as-you-work' IT engineering apprenticeship. It's very interesting.

Thats what my mum told me. She said that some stuff can show you had qualities at a young age and had a strong environment around me during my youth.
There's a few people in my family who have to hold interviews for various positions, and whenever I put a CV together I gather them around for input. I originally had my entire school history on there, and they all agreed that it looked incredibly desperate, and would make an employer suspicious about why they're trying so hard to fit in such information.

I really wouldn't advise it; if you look up other CVs on the internet, you'll be hard-pushed to find many that include primary school details. But, your call!

I think it all depends in what country you are applying for a job.
Here in Belgium it is absolutely not done to mention primary school...
When you are working for a quite a while like i do, even your university carreer does not matter that much....then it's your professional carreer that matters.

Has anybody here done a sandwich course in University? Is it better than doing a normal course (interms of having a good chance of getting a job afterwards)?

is primary school considered high school? So your going for an internship in an american company? Is the company in America? Make sure you show them what courses your currently taking at university and what your grades were like in high school, and if you did any extracurricular activities in high school or currently... and no supporting AC Milan is not what im talking about :)

what are you doing exactly?

Has anybody here done a sandwich course in University? Is it better than doing a normal course (interms of having a good chance of getting a job afterwards)?

Definately helps depending on the course. Like Bath Uni do sandwich courses for Economics students. And if you do well in your sandwich year, the firm will propably take you on if you were good after your degree because you already have the basic training and upper hand over other candidates. But say you weren't the best, you are at a disadvantage.

Definately helps depending on the course. Like Bath Uni do sandwich courses for Economics students. And if you do well in your sandwich year, the firm will propably take you on if you were good after your degree because you already have the basic training and upper hand over other candidates. But say you weren't the best, you are at a disadvantage.
Thanks ashmufc, is there any London University doing a sandwich course in website development, graphics design or any IT related course you know of?

Or do i have to travel outside London for that?

Back
Top Bottom