The Manager Ins and Outs Thread

Metallica

Whoosh... Bullshit!
20 August 2003
Pissed up in Sam Platt's
:shock:

Paul Jewell has resigned as Wigan boss - less than 24 hours after saving the Premiership club from relegation on the final day of the season.

Wigan confirmed to BBC North West that Jewell had left his post and they will hold a news conference at 1500 BST.

Jewell's exit comes after the drama of beating Sheffield United 2-1 on Sunday to ensure Wigan's top-flight status.

He has been linked to Manchester City, where manager Stuart Pearce could make way if a takeover of the club succeeds.

Jewell joined Wigan in June 2001 from Sheffield Wednesday.

He guided The Latics to the League One title in 2002-03 and in 2004-05 they finished runners-up to Sunderland in the Championship to reach the top flight for the first time in their history.

Under Jewell, Wigan surprised many pundits by surviving comfortably in their first season, finishing 10th and also reaching the Carling Cup final.

Previously, Jewell had taken Bradford into the Premiership where he masterminded a similar last-day survival for the Bantams.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan offered Jewell a job for life at the JJB Stadium outfit last year but also said he would not stand in his manager's way if he had an offer from a bigger club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/6653185.stm

He was going mental yesterday when they stopped up. Cant beleive he resigned, he did all the hard work by stopping up!

Thought I would alter the title of the thread as we may have a lot of moving over the next few weeks

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Jewell Resigns as Wigan Manager

i can't believe that! maybe he believe's he can't do no more with wigan, but why would he leave a team like wigan to go to a wee team like city?:D

Shocking news this. It all seems very odd

Hmm, wasn't he linked with the Man City job a few weeks ago?
Interesting now that Pearce has been sacked.
It sounds almost identical to the Alladyce-Newcastle saga...

Yeah, he has the City job I think.

I like him and I like City...cant wait for him to take over :)

Cannot stand the git. Nearly gets teams relegated and that somehow makes him a brilliant manager.

Anyway, after commenting in another thread that it was worth watching Match of the Day every week if only to see Sheffield United manager Warnock, the most genuine manager that there was in the Premiership...

...he's only on his way out! :(

I'll be gutted if he goes, but then if he goes for one of the currently vacant Premiership jobs, I would be absolutely delighted.

Bit of a shock that it's supposedly over his wages though - I didn't think he was that type of fella, at all!!

Does nobody care that Neil Warnock walked out on Sheff United today? I know he was a complete wanker but still...

How can you call someone so honest a wanker?! If his team were crap he'll say so, which you can't say about most other Premiership managers!

I really hope he gets another Premiership job sometime soon.

it seems to me that warnock had 2 options, either quit sheffield united or get sacked:D maybe it was a bit obvious, but did anyone else think this?

How can you call someone so honest a wanker?! If his team were crap he'll say so, which you can't say about most other Premiership managers!

I really hope he gets another Premiership job sometime soon.

Honest? The guy never stopped fuckin moaning! Once every few weeks he would say his team were no good but the rest of the time it was someone elses fault, usually the ref

Back
Top Bottom