The Mobile Phone thread

switched from the iphone 5 to the lumia 920

-great size
-great build quality
-fantastic camera
-good performance

-windows phone 8 bugs are...crazy. unpolished piece of turd. couldn'T get whatsapp to install for the past 3!! days.

still i will stick with this for a bit, even if it is just for the camera.

I'm getting a Lumia 820 in the next week or two. The Whatsapp bug apparently has to do with Whatsapp's devs and not Microsoft. I'm actually waiting for this to be resolved before making my buy.

Did you get the free wireless charger from Nokia?

Finally got my nexus 4 delivered and set it all up. Put it on a table a few feet from the ground and it slid off and smashed the glass back!

1 day old and it will need to go off to LG for an out of warranty repair :(

Anyone know if u can get this done cheaper than 130 quid?

I was ragin!

Stupid frictionless glass on the back of a phone!

There was me buying it outright to save being fleeced by the phone companies 2 year contracts.

Ah well dems the breaks. I better get my bonus this month!

Just bought an unlocked HTC Desire from a mate for £70, as good as new due to case/screen protector.

CyanogenMod + overclocking and it runs silky smooth. Also got a 32GB SD Card for it so I can shove a load of music/apps on there! :)

To be honest, one thing I still fail to understand is why so many people spend so much money on getting the latest phone models. Fair enough if you really do use the extra features and they improve your experience substantially, but pretty much everyone I know who does this plays around for a couple of weeks with the new stuff then really only seems to use the text messaging, Facebook and the occasional call...

Just look at giffgaff for example... £12 for a month of unlimited texts and internet - use that with a £70 phone and (provided giffgaff's prices stay the same and your phone doesn't break), you'll have had over 3 and a half years worth of use out of your phone before you've even spent as much as it would cost to buy an unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (£599.99)...

I'm talking about PAYG, but the same applies to contracts, I know some who spend crazy money on their phone bills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some reasons why I'd pay for a high priced handset, or 'gadget', for that matter:

- You're essentially future proofing yourself
- Having a nice screen does make a pretty big difference, especially when browsing photos. An AMOLED 1080p screen, for example, is like night and day with a standard 640x800 or 720 resolution screen.
- The build quality generally gives a sense of satisfaction. Including having a good camera with a good sensor.
- Things like having a quad core processor makes the overall experience of using a device feel great, especially 2 years down the line when other brands catch up.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty hands on with the electronics I buy :P

Yeah as I said, if you make the most of the improvements and feel they're worth the money then go right ahead - there are many though who seem to buy the latest technology purely for the sake of owning it, only to use it in the same way (text/calls) as any other phone.

£600 though to buy a phone outright simply boggles my mind! Although I do appreciate how the computing power and features mostly outstrip even desktop computers from less than a decade ago! When I had to send my laptop in for repair I could still perform most tasks I use my laptop for on my phone or iPod so I do understand the usefulness especially in business and when travelling but personally I tend to have access to my laptop or a PC often enough to not need a top of the range phone.

1080p AMOLED display, quad core CPU etc on something that fits in the palm of your hand - what can be done with modern technology is freaking amazing when you think about it!

I think what you say is partly true, and is mainly the case with iPhones. A lot of people buy them but don't really bother learning much about it.

But anyway, if you're into high quality handsets... how sexy is that new Sony Xperia Z looking!??

I think what you say is partly true, and is mainly the case with iPhones. A lot of people buy them but don't really bother learning much about it.

But anyway, if you're into high quality handsets... how sexy is that new Sony Xperia Z looking!??

That definitely looks nice but if anyone is considering buying a new phone soon, I'd recommend they wait..especially if Android is their OS of choice. HTC M7/One will be announced next week, Galaxy S4 to be announced in early spring and perhaps the much rumored Google/Motorola X phone will be shown at Google IO (also Spring).

That definitely looks nice but if anyone is considering buying a new phone soon, I'd recommend they wait..especially if Android is their OS of choice. HTC M7/One will be announced next week, Galaxy S4 to be announced in early spring and perhaps the much rumored Google/Motorola X phone will be shown at Google IO (also Spring).
That's one of my main issues with technology today - it's not a negative thing, it's just that this thought goes through my mind before buying anything:

"If I can put up with my current, slightly inferior stuff for just a bit longer, I'll get something much better for the same price or the same thing for much less"

So usually I go without the latest stuff indefinitely :P.

Just thought I'd let you know your signature is quite out of date jonney, I think all of those games are already released! :D

Had a look at the new Nexus and it does look pretty sweet, and the price is not bad at all!

The fact there's no SD card slot or other expandable storage is a bit of a bummer though, and the fact you have to pay £40 to go from 8GB to 16GB internal storage when you consider a 32gb microSD card is around £15. Feels like a bit of a rip-off.

I know a lot of things are moving towards cloud storage though and this is becoming less of an issue, but as a PAYG user I doubt many networks would let you get away with constant streaming/downloading even on "unlimited" plans.

i hate the way they are forcing u to use cloud. what if u live or staying somewhere with poor 3g connections?

im over here in the philippines and guess what, 3g connection is none existance where i am staying.

even in central london 3g is very unreliable.

Anyways Arma 3 is not out yet :P

Yeah at my house I sometimes get poor signal (can use Wi-Fi so here it's no bother) and generally from my experience 3G isn't fast enough for high-quality streaming and fast surfing.

4G will be the solution to that, but initially it will only be applied in major cities and according to Ofcom's targets, it will be late 2017 by the time 95% of the country is covered although EE aim to provide signal to 98% of the UK by 2014.

Reportedly Nokia has achieved download speeds of up to 173Mbps (that's over 20 megabytes per second!) using a 2x2 MIMO configuration with 4G technology.

Here's a link to that story if anyone's interested;
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007/12/nokia-4g-wireless-tech-hits-173mbps-in-real-world-test/

So it will be a few years before we can expect the potential of 4G to be realised, but until then I'll be wanting to stick with devices with a large amount of storage space and it is unknown how well 4G will be implemented anyway so to rely solely on cloud technology is a bit of a risk.

4G in London is a joke. Loads of problems, slow speeds and extortionate prices. Reports of EE lowering 4G speeds to 3G, and slowing down 3G to close to Edge, so that 4G customers think they're getting the right speeds.

No point launching/paying for 4G in the UK if 3G coverage is still lacking.

Kinda surprised England appears to be so far behind the tech times these days. All major metro areas, medium sized and often small cities are covered with LTE (4g) by my carrier (Verizon). Here in Detroit I average about 30mpbs during the day with 6 or 7 up, but I've seen speeds of 55+ down. But hey, we do pay an arm and a leg for plans here so at least the money appears to be going towards something.

Plans ain't that expensive but yes 4g here is money... If you think about it a 4g plan is about the same as home Internet. But it is also portable. Go on vacation take it with you...

T Mobile are doing an unbelievably good deal for SIM only:

UNLIMITED minutes
UNLIMITED texts
UNLIMITED internet

Only £16 a month!!!

Fuckers

I get that for £20 a month from them.

Renewal time soon though so mine will be discounted again i guess :)

can't wait for Samsung S4 to be out so I can finally get S3 :SMUG:

Yeah I'm due for an upgrade myself but BC I can now upgrade annually instead of every 2 years I might be tempted to get the S3 for next to nothing rather than the S4. Sammy already said it will get the same software features s the S4 in a future update. Hardware wise I don't see enough of a difference to warrant the full upgrade price for the S4 (probably about 200 bucks here)

guys anyone can suggest me any cool phone ? want something simple any type of nokia ? no internet no bluethooth WIFI and stuff like this , just a simple phone i can talk and text with , kind of nokia 3310 with class look :D

Rock_dove_-_natures_pics.jpg

Try this.

Back
Top Bottom