The Muslim Cartoons

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MonkeyJug

what a fucking joke - where's your sense of humour you sad fuckers!

it's ok for you to go out and murder and maim hundreds of people, but it's not ok for someone to hit you with a bit of satire - i mean, come on - FFS! GET OVER IT!

I heard about this on Radio London...that blonde girl (can't remember her name) was doing a topic on it, a few days ago.

Well whats the point in taking the piss out of someone's religious belief though!

Heard that it was done in Denmark or somewhere.

the difference is, when the BBC did that Jerry springer thing. Christians picketed outside the BBC HQ, and when that play came along, Sihks moaned. When this happened, you've got groups threatening to bomb Denmark and boycott products.

Agree with the Jug of Monkeyness as well.

When you cant laugh at yourself a bit, who can you laugh at?

I'd link to the Muhammed turban bomb one but I'd rather not draw attention to us in any way or offend the people that cant handle the satire. A quick google will have you giggling though.

I'm a catholic, I've seen Jesus/God/Mary etc... been made fun of hundreds if not thousands of times, doesn't make me angry in the slightest. In fact Family Guy with Jesus, South Park with Jesus etc... hilarious shit. :lmao:

Last edited:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAH!

you're not allowed to say it was funny! may allah strike you down like the dog that you are!

:p

here's one of them - i'm trying to find the rest:

jyllands1.jpg

i can only find this scan of the actual page that was published...

250px-Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_drawings.jpg

it appears that the cartoon which causes the most offence is the one at the top, which shows the prophet muhammad with a bomb hidden in his turban...

ROFL!!!

I don't like the reactions, there is something like the freedom of expression for press and artists even if it's bad taste.
I don't like that sort of humour...

The thing that offends muslim people is the fact that the Prophet was visualised...that is a serious offense for muslim people.

Allah or Mohammed (his prophet) cannot be visualised, no paintings, no drawings and no cartoons...

While i think that humour can have no limits, one should be able to make jokes of everything, i think the jokes are bad taste...

In short both sides are wrong: offensive jokes and a reaction that is too violent, a boycott or a violence (bombings,...) aren't justified either...

My two cents.

they are no more offensive than the good old 'an irishman, an englishman and a scotsman' jokes that have been told for centuries here in the uk - usually at the expense of the irishman! :(

;)

hehe, in ireland, when we tell those jokes, it's always the englishman who is the stupid one!

This is true. :D

I thought they were regional in that sense, ie. the Irish one would get the brunt of it in England, then the English would get it in the Scottish and Irish versions. The poor Welsh just shagged sheep all on their own. ;)

Please take note that my post does not reflect the views of the entirety of the muslim population. Equally, the views of the majority is neither reflected by the opinions of these random so called "clerics" so evident these days whose purpose is to only make good TV and newspaper headlines. Please note that I am (supposedly!) a scientist by trade and not much of a debator. There are other far more qualified than me who will be able to give a more concise viewpoint on the rather important matter.

This is not an apologetic post, and I'm not going to sugarcoat anything but tell it as it is for many of us.

I have to also make it clear that some the media these days clearly don't portray the majority in an totally impartial manner. It's always worrying when we have these "intellectual" debates on TV concerning issues in Islam (be it about women, bombings, cartoons), and often the case, the side "representing" Islam either comes from:

1) An extremist guy (with or without the hook) from what the majority of the muslim community consider to be radical groups (Al Muhajaroun or Hizb-ut-Tahrir anyone?). Trust me, I've had many bumping in with these guys at uni and round my local area - and they are certainly not representative of the majority.

2) A complete random who doesn't have a clue about what he is talking about. For example, Radio five today had a minor discussion between Evan Harris (a major player in the Secular society) up against some guy who used to present a Pop show on Radio 1 or something.

There are many intellectual and sophisticated islamic speakers around whom I've had the pleasure of meeting and attending debates with. Its a shame that they are not controversial enough to come on TV.

Anyway, to this issue about the cartoons....

Religion is an incredibly complex subject and one that cannot be summed up in one post (or in a thesis paper, or a book, or anything for that matter tbh). Religion has a different effect to people (as would any ideology). To us, living in this relatively cushty lifestyle, we find it difficult to test our faith/beliefs in times of sheer hardship. Yet for many around the world (e.g. Africa, the sufferers of the Tsunami, Pakistan Earthquake, Palestine, The Holocaust), Religion is perhaps their only explanation/hope to the pain and suffering in the world. Naturally, some people will be more passionate about their beliefs more than others.

The portrayal of Prophet Muhammad (or any other prophet such as Moses, Jesus, Abraham etc..) is strictly prohibited - to prevent idolisation of false images. Muslims are commanded to only worship God and no human, animal, object. Prophet Muhammad is highly regarded by many - he was the perfect muslim and the example to the muslims in terms of character and piousness. His lifestory is an example of us muslims to follow.

Many feel so close to Muhammad that their love for him and the other prophets is beyond description. It can be difficult to explain this concept to anyone who hasn't been in the same state to highly regard of someone. This is where we get a clash of cultures/ideologies. The depiction of Prophet Muhammad can be seen worse as publicly humilating our mother/father/brother/sister/son/daughter. Such is the strength of the love of the prophet by the muslims. Again, this can be a difficult concept to accept by many - which I cannot blame them for. When you consider how his teachings have helped those who follow him in their life problems, you can perhaps imagine why we feel so strong for him.

However, we are living in times of multiculturism and freedom of speech (which has provided its share of benefits and downfalls some may argue). The Muslim population, as well as any other ideology/religion have no right to prevent the freedom of discussion/speech on certain areas within our beliefs. Hence, the aftershocks of this event - particularly the taking of hostages and other (somewhat) overreactions - are highly disregarded by the unheard majority.

However, the question comes as to how far can the freedom of speech be used? Can we use the freedom of speech to justify the attack on other religions/ideologies?

Surely, living in a multifaith society (many consider secularism as a faith itself), we should all respect the intricacies of the other faiths. Read closely to the teachings of Islam, and you will find that - contrary to popular belief - the attack and incitement of other religions is forbidden.

I will leave the end of my somewhat extensive post open to further discussion as I am interested to what has to be said - I, and many others maybe, will be more than happy to discuss the issues/questions if you have any.

I will however bring to attention the shockingly offensive first post. To depict the entire muslim population (or "sad fuckers" as the poster remarkably points out) as bombers and murderers is extremely shortsighted. If you do wish to contribute, at least step away from the heap of tabloid trash and do your research properly on the teachings and discussions by proper unbiased writers (or debators) who portray the beliefs of the majority. I'm more than open to attacks on Islam as long as they can be supported by concise readings and discussions. To put it bluntly, it is almost like saying that the teachings of the BNP and the National Front is cheered on by the entirety of the UK.

Last edited:
It would be nice to all get along a bit don't you guys think? I mean, what's the point of freedom of expression when you use that to insult others? In Holland filmmaker Theo van Gogh was murdered by a Muslim. He had called them (literally) "pigfuckers) on public television. The main reason he was murdered though, had to do with a little movie he had written with a Muslima member of a liberal party in Holland, where Muslim women were shown with Koran lyrics written on their uncovered bodies. Now everybody in Holland started screaming how freedom of expression was in danger. Fuck that, the guy who murdered him was a sick motherfucker who must go behind bars for the rest of his life and he who called them pigfuckers and wrote that movie should realize that this won't help the discussion at all (which will be hard since he's dead). Provoking people doesn't have anything to do with freedom of expression.

The media and politics are doing a terrible job at uniting people. I've always been raised with the idea that we're all equal and that it doesn't matter where you're from, but it seems people need to have an enemy to live their lives. Fuck that. This coming from a guy some people on Evo-Web thought was a racist, which shows the exact problem.

MonkeyJug said:

it's ok for you to go out and murder and maim hundreds of people, but it's not ok for someone to hit you with a bit of satire - i mean, come on - FFS! GET OVER IT!

free speech?

would you eccpet me drawing your little sister naked and getting fucked in her ass? this is free speech right? i think i have the right to do that in europe? And publish it in newspaper for the whole people to see? would you feel so touchy and pissid? or do you really like to see your sisters getting fucked?

great...long live europe...

+++ terroist attacks will happen in denmark soon, you stupid danish people better stay at home or else you will be DEAD, PIECE OF SHIT

XstationPlaybox said:
+++ terroist attacks will happen in denmark soon, you stupid danish people better stay at home or else you will be DEAD, PIECE OF SHIT

You can't say that you tit thats bang out of order....dead for drawing a cartoon you sad fucker STFU!!! It's pricks with a attitude like yours that ruin the world. Fair enough be a pissed off if you want, but is it worth people dying for?? Pricks like you piss me off, terrosist are fucking cowards who kill innocent people your just as bad you tosser!!!!

XstationPlaybox said:
free speech?

would you eccpet me drawing your little sister naked and getting fucked in her ass? this is free speech right? i think i have the right to do that in europe? And publish it in newspaper for the whole people to see? would you feel so touchy and pissid? or do you really like to see your sisters getting fucked?

great...long live europe...

I never thought I'd say this on the internet but... I wish I could smack your teeth out.

lol, why are you guys so pissed off? This is what you call "freedom of speech" right? What a bunch of twisted sad fucks you really are....

Last edited by a moderator:
XstationPlaybox said:
lol, why are you guys so pissed off? This is what you call "freedom of speech" right? What a bunch of twisted sad fucks you really are....

You could at least have read my post about this subject kid.

XstationPlaybox said:

People like you are scum....how can you support any act of terrosim that will kill innocent people?? Your the one who is twisted, to actually threaten the the danish people and why?? All because of silly little cartoon, you need to get a reality check cos there's worse things happening in the world than this. Nothing left to say to you.....your pathetic!

There's the line being stepped over I think. If this is going to be discussed then please use respect, it's not hard and this is just Evo-Web...

I strongly agree with Joost and Rockykabir (beautiful moving post my friend).
For some reason it seems less offensive to make jokes about "other" people (Irish, Muslim people, black people, jews).
I agree that most of these jokes seem rather harmless and i agree about freedom of speech, but much of these "jokers" don't think about other people's feeling.
Why is it that the western media only talk about the muslim people who want revenge and not about the Jordanian journalist (chief of staff or something) who put the cartoons in his paper and said something along the line "this is what all the fuss is about, please stop it now because those cartoons and the reactions only benefit to both muslim and non-muslim fundamentalists"...the guy was sacked and was forced to apologize on television, but i'm sure millions of muslim people feel the same way he does...offended but nothing more...
Why does it feels shocking that muslim people react against cartoons and that nobody knows that in certain American states you end up in jail when you burn the Stars and Stripes (source: Frank Zappa's autobiography and an interview with Jello Biafra, both figthting for freedom of speech in music against Tipper Gore and the Washinton Wives in the early 90's)...nobody will accuse American judges of fundamentalism...how come????
Fact is that we see the a (white-) "coloured" thruth.

Finally it is rather ironic that a self-proclaimed Glasgow Rangers fanatic talks in terms of "sad fuckers" about all the muslims...he's wellplaced to know the way religious people feel, fanatic or not fanatic.

Well, XStationPlaybox is just an example of what I am talking about. When you get young and naive imbeciles talking about politics and such sensitive issues, you get problems. Its this certain silly reaction that is peeing me off at the moment - and has done whenever certain topics come up in the news.

I have seen the cartoons a few days ago. I must say that I was deeply offended (for the reasons I explained earlier). However, my mentality was that now that the media have seen the offence caused, they should learn from their mistakes and not post anything like that will offend others in such a way. Although I agreed that the marches and demonstrations were perhaps necessary (for such a sensitive issue), I don't think any sane individual (muslim or otherwise) will approve of these trigger happy randoms who promote terrorism. The power of the word is much stronger than the power of the sword.

Mart said:
There's the line being stepped over I think. If this is going to be discussed then please use respect, it's not hard and this is just Evo-Web...

you call this respect?

strange people...

joostebrood said:
It would be nice to all get along a bit don't you guys think? I mean, what's the point of freedom of expression when you use that to insult others? In Holland filmmaker Theo van Gogh was murdered by a Muslim. He had called them (literally) "pigfuckers) on public television. The main reason he was murdered though, had to do with a little movie he had written with a Muslima member of a liberal party in Holland, where Muslim women were shown with Koran lyrics written on their uncovered bodies. Now everybody in Holland started screaming how freedom of expression was in danger. Fuck that, the guy who murdered him was a sick motherfucker who must go behind bars for the rest of his life and he who called them pigfuckers and wrote that movie should realize that this won't help the discussion at all (which will be hard since he's dead). Provoking people doesn't have anything to do with freedom of expression.

The media and politics are doing a terrible job at uniting people. I've always been raised with the idea that we're all equal and that it doesn't matter where you're from, but it seems people need to have an enemy to live their lives. Fuck that. This coming from a guy some people on Evo-Web thought was a racist, which shows the exact problem.

You've got it there Jooste. Both sides of the spectrum, you are gonna have the extremes that are gonna cause problems. It is the job of the majority to iron out these problems by means of a friendly discussion and through unity.

You are exactly right in that the media and politics (from both sides of the party) aren't doing enough to promote unity (actually, they are probably making it worse). When you get confusion in the masses, you'll naturally get wild offensive remarks being thrown about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom