The Office - An American Workplace

rockykabir

hello
30 March 2003
London -> New York -> San Francisco
Liverpool FC
This show absolutely brilliant...(don't flame me guys! - read on... ;) )

I'm a big fan of the original. Admittedly when I first heard that the US were gonna make a version, I was proper pee'd off cos I thought they were gonna ruin a classic again (look at their past remakes of british comedies: Coupling & Men Behaving Badly *pukes*).

The first episode is actually a complete ripoff of the original - even the script is the same! It was so bad that I've actually sworn that I'll never watch rest again :(

However, a few days ago, a mate convinced me to watch the rest - which I went on to do - and I'm loving it!

Firstly, think of it as a show on its own - not as a remake!

22e_carell_narrowweb__200x246.jpg

Admittedly, Michael's character is not as cringeworthy as David Brent's - but he's funny in his own way.

dwight.jpg

Gareth's counterpart, Dwight, is an absolute lunatic. He's a lot crueler and animated than Gareth. Although Gareth is a legend, Dwight has plenty of moments where you'll crack you up.

jim.jpg

pam.jpg

This is where I think the American office excels in over the original. Tim and Dawn's equivalents, Jim and Pam are excellent. Again, you have this sorta complicated relationship going on between them - I personally prefer them tho...

Well worth a watch imo...but keep open minded if you are huge fan of the original.

The key here is that it is not as cringe as the original...it is actually a lot more pleasant to watch (i.e. very few pillow biting moments). However, it is very funny....trust me on this ;)

Last edited:
Re: The Office - The American Workplace

I've watched all episodes, I'm a HUGE fan of this series myself. Dwight Schrute is the most hilarious character to ever appear in any TV show. When he crashed his car and vomitted all over the cowling just to get into the car again and keep on driving, I was like "What the fuck is that bloody retard doing there?" :mrgreen:

Awesome stuff! And Steve Carrell really earned that Golden Globe he got recently.

Last edited:

Kezz said:
I've watched all episodes, I'm a HUGE fan of this series myself. Dwight Schrute is the most hilarious character to ever appear in any TV show. When he crashed his car and vomitted all over the cowling just to get into the car again and keep on driving, I was like "What the fuck is that bloody retard doing there?" :mrgreen:

LOL!...I love that bit...."The Alliance" episode was class too :)

The minor characters are jokes as well....Stanley playing Basketball was a sight :mrgreen:

Yeah I haven't seen many of them but also took a break after watching the dodgy first episode. Went back to a "proper" one and thought it was quality, it was the basketball game I think.

Back
Top Bottom