The Official London 2012 Olympic Games Thread

But as much as i love cycling, in cycling it's all about doping.
Except for Cadel Evans, the 20 last winners of the Tour de France have had links with doping.
Oh for that genius with his post about jealousy and sour grapes about Belgian cyclists not winning. In the classics our Tom Boonen dominated and i have exactly the same questions about him. The point with cycling is that you have to follow the doctors, they are the most important persons in the sport. Tom Boonens doctor this year was Gilberts doctor the two years before that (when Gilbert - a belgian- was the best rider in the world and Boonen had a couple of bad seasons), before that the same Spanish doctor was Ricardo Ricco's doctor.

About Froome and Wiggins' doctor with Sky. His name is Bas Leinders and he used to be the team doctor of Rabobank and "chicken" Rasmussen.

Just do me a favour and google Ricco, Rasmussen, Rabobank and Vienna...

Like i said, this has nothing to do with the nationality of the riders...

Cycling is a fantastic sport and by far the most athletic, but cheating is an integral part of cycling. The gold medallist of the road race Vinokourov had several positive doping tests and has bought big races... As much as i love cycling i can't stand cheating.

As a lover and follower of cyclism (though not as well informed as you Gerd), it saddens me to know you're right there. After all you're being suspicious, and there are lots of things to be suspicious of with Sky. Just as it happened with Contador, Armstrong, Riise, Landis... It's a pitty but this sport is asking for official doctors.

I mean, they could have access to licensed doctors only, controled by UCI. This seems to me the only way to stop the cheating.

We've seen the Harlem Globetrotters destroying Nigeria in London.

The 156 points Team USA scored is an Olympics record.

Carmelo Anthony set the individual scoring record for the team, they set the USA record for points and they also set the record for most points by any team in the Olympics by dropping 156.

Carmelo Anthony has broken the U.S. record for points in an Olympic game, scoring 37 through the middle of the third quarter against Nigeria.

carmichaelojordan.gif

#GodMelo

Last edited:
The news/headlines etc about Phelps being the "greatest ever Olympian" are getting really annoying now... The medal tally isn't an accurate representation, especially when it comes to a sport such as swimming,. Phelps has won his medals in 7 seperate events.

Other disciplines don't give you so many opportunities to win medals - for example you could be the greatest athlete in the history of the Triathlon or other such events, winning golds in consecutive Olympic games, but in the end you're only going to end up with probably a maximum of 4 (possibly 5 at a push) golds. How is that any less impressive than Phelps' feats?

I am enjoying the Olympics though, getting to watch sports that don't usually get much TV coverage in the UK :).

Last edited by a moderator:
You have also more chances for failure...

But basically i agree with you, it's silly to compare athletes from different disciplines. Just like it is silly to elect the best player of team sports. Apparently it's part of the human nature to individualize and compare everything, even the incomparable.

I don't like the Olympics much, my kids are watching them and so i tend to see things...i don't like the gigantism and the nationalism. To be fair, i think the Brittish are doing a good job...these games seem well organized and the atmosphere is extremely good. This is good publicity for Great Brittain and the Brittish people. Well done.

i dont know mate, i think being proud to see ones nation doing well in the olymmpics is nothing like nationalism... Its only natural to celebrates ones countryman doing well

Watching the cyclist track races: fantastic performance by the Brittish team pursuit team ...that was the absolute peak of the games for me...mind blowing good...absolutely fabulous.

Last edited:
I'm in absolute awe of some of these athletes I have to say, most strikingly seeing some of the rowers flat out on the side of the lake after their race struggling to catch their breath, they'd literally given it their all.

Been a good day for GB & NI today as well I have to say :)

What a shame scandal again, after cyclist track, it's rowing duo, GB team miss the start, so all teams need restart after 200 meters...
And GB finish with silver medal...

Last edited:
What do you think about Oscar Pistorius 400m-run? He finished second eventhough his legs are amputated and he uses carbon-fiber-legs to run.

On the one hand I think it's fantastic that a man with amputated legs has this will and succeeds in competing with the best runners in the world.

On the other hand I think it's not right to let him compete as his carbon-fibre-legs makes him very different from the other runners so that maybe the performance isn't comparable. Maybe the carbon-fibre gives an advantage if it propels him forward more than a human leg would with every step and the carbon-fibre doesn't tire doing it and isn't prone to injuries.

Edit: Absolutely amazed at Andy Murray's performance against Djokovich.

Last edited:
I would have never allowed Pistorius to compete, it is extremely unfair dont't matter the results. It may seem very cold hearted, but he really has advantages and he should be competing with other people in similar circumstances and the same prothesis.

What a shame scandal again, after cyclist track, it's rowing duo, GB team miss the start, so all teams need restart after 200 meters...
And GB finish with silver medal...
Err, their boat seat was broken and it was within 100 meters so the rule is a restarted race. No scandal here.

I would have never allowed Pistorius to compete, it is extremely unfair dont't matter the results. It may seem very cold hearted, but he really has advantages and he should be competing with other people in similar circumstances and the same prothesis.

Hmm I suppose the guys with legs don't have advantages?

I don't think its fair either

There using these calf's, ankles, feet ect to run which will tire and he's got his own suspension kinda bouncing using less energy

Last edited:
Hmm I suppose the guys with legs don't have advantages?

You get what I'm saying. I'm just saying it's unfair because they're in very different conditions. For the good and the bad things. I value his effort and it's a great story, and I will cheer him when he runs. But it remains unfair. His prothesis propel him forward, not his own body. That is completely wrong. Heis prothesis don't tire, don't get injured and may have a bouncing effect that gives him an extra speed. There will always be the shadow of the doubt if he wins, even if it's an incredible story for the human being.

I saw a late night show (can`t remember I was knackered) A tax man said Phelps will have paid 100k in taxes and Lochte 25k in taxes :CONFUSE:

The fight here is to remove the tax for Olympic winner!

25k-9k tax
15k-5k tax
10k-3k tax

funny how 2nd mortgages are getting erased and school loans are getting dropped ! and olympic winners for country pays the tax man.

Does anyone also thinks that Murray have a good chance for gold tomorrow? The semi against Djokovic was one of the best games i saw he playing... If he plays like that against Federer in the final he can surely win!

Yep, sure he has a chance but he played Wimbledon Final against Fed too and had high hopes didn't he?

I think Roger will take it but definitely wouldn't mind an upset.

He sure does stand a chance but he's going to face the World #1 and one of the best players of all time on his favourite surface. Besides, while I agree with you that Andy is playing a top-notch tennis so far, I have to say that Nole isn't having a great season ever since the Australian Open. Once again, edge: Federer.

Don't see it happening tbh.

I think the home support would work against someone like Djoker or Nadal but Federer's just recently beaten him in what was effectively an "away" final, given how partisan the crowd was. He's just too good.

Only just seen Ennis and Farah's victories. So good and the crowd were insane.

Farah's face when he won just epitomises the whole thing, sheer joy.

Ennis is literally fit as fuck as well.

Whole crowd singing the national anthem like only we can.

Back
Top Bottom