The Official Name Pronunciation thread.

RuneEdge

Silent Assassin
1 October 2003
Manchester United
We have many commentators in England who pronounce names differently. And its pretty damn annoying. Milan Baros for example was always "Baros" until Euro 2004 where it became "Barosh".
There are some obvious ones that can be debated like "Xavi" or "Xabi" but some just piss me off like this one prat saying "Hobinho" instead of Robinho.

Now I personally have no idea which way is right so lets use this thread to help each other out. Cuz I'm sure foreign Evo-Web members must have a much better idea than half of the commentators in England. :roll:

Last edited:
Ever since I heard the BBC interviewer on Match of the Day ask Kuyt after the match if it was pronounced CUNT' I just call him Dirt Kunt. Good player though.

same here. i heard it was norwegian and Caar-f, but i just can't believe that. gotta be oooo.

RuneEdge said:
We have many commentators in England who pronounce names differently. And its pretty damn annoying. Milan Baros for example was always "Baros" until Euro 2004 where it became "Barosh".
There are some obvious ones that can be debated like "Xavi" or "Xabi" but some just piss me off like this one prat saying "Hobinho" instead of Robinho.

Now I personally have no idea which way is right so lets use this thread to help each other out. Cuz I'm sure foreign Evo-Web members must have a much better idea than half of the commentators in England. :roll:

Well in Czech, Baros is Baroš, but since English drops the diacritics it leads people to believe the actual prnounciation is 'Ba-ross' when the 'š' means a 'sh' sound, so technically 'Ba-rosh' is right.

'X' in Spanish is a kind of sh/ch sound.

Also the Brazilian 'R' does kind of sound like a 'H', so it is more like 'hrobinho' or 'hronaldinho'.

It's mainly because we're English and don't really take into consideration the pronounciation of the native country of the player, apart from in Kuyt's case where he was actually asked lol.

lol, Yeah I agree Jonathan Pearce is quite bad especially with his Chelsea biased commentary. the commentator who really gets on my tits the most for bad pronouciation is David Pleat, I could happiliy pound that mans face all day for the pain he has caused me.

Many people say Jens Lehmann but, we should say like the Germans like Yens LIhmann for example.
For Cristiano Ronaldo many people say Christianou Ranaldo, but you should say CRRistianu RRonaldo like a double Russian R.

curswine said:
The commentator who really gets on my tits the most for bad pronouciation is David Pleat, I could happiliy pound that mans face all day for the pain he has caused me.

Hell yeah,

"Hen-ree" instead of "On-ree".

"Rai-ez" instead of "Rey-es".

"Son-deros" instead of "Send-eros" for Senderos (that one's even phonetic you twat!)

Probably the best from him is "Ron-in-din-ee-oh" #-o You'd think he'd bother to learn the name of the best player in the world eh?

There used to be many problems with Slovenian players when an English commentator pronounced their name. I've heard "Za-ho-vick" instead of "Za-ho-vich", "Osterick" instead of "Osterc" (though his name would still get pronounced "Osterck" since the prononcuation of the c letter is totally different in Slovene language).

The commentators these days do a better job. I haven't heard Stevanovic's name pronounced wrongly for example.

p.s. The funniest pronounciation in the world is Pablo Ramirez's version of Simao. :D

Actually, about Zlatko Zahovic, when he played in Portugal, we were used to call him Za-ho-vick and we think it's the right way to do it. :D

About Ramirez' pronounciation... :lol: Simãaaaaaaaao Sabrosssssssssssssssssssaaaaaa... :lmao:

Joystick said:
"Hen-ree" instead of "On-ree".
Not exactly. It's not often english speakers need to make this sound and the accent makes it almost impossible if you don't know the sound. It's "An-Ree" with (I think) only the beginning of the sound "An" from "Ant".

Hard to explain :D.

Don Domenico said:
I've always wondered: Carew?

Ca - roo ?
or
Caar-f ?
I always thought it's kinda like "Ca - Roo" since that's what I always heard from commentators around the world. (Cuz he's played in many different leagues/teams now)

But I guess we can't be sure that's exactly right until a Norwegian confirms or denies it.

Another one I'm interested in 'exact correct' pronounciation of which also a fellow Norwegian would be able to help us with is "Solskjaer".

I've heard few different pronounciations for him and while I think I have the right idea and I'm on the right track, I can't be quite 100% sure.

curswine said:
Also the Brazilian 'R' does kind of sound like a 'H', so it is more like 'hrobinho' or 'hronaldinho'.

It's mainly because we're English and don't really take into consideration the pronounciation of the native country of the player, apart from in Kuyt's case where he was actually asked lol.
Regarding the "R" sound in Brazilian, I've found what you said to be true and agree with it. It's not really an "R" pronounced like "Carrr" or "Rrradio". It has an "H" element to it.

So "Renato"'s R isn't for example pronounced in same way you say "Rack" :p or "Race". It kinda sounds like "Henato" if you pay attention actually except that it's not exactly the "H" sound either.

I guess the best way to think about it until a Brazilian can explain/clarify this to us in more detail is that you should pronounce it in a way that's kinda like something between how you'd pronounce "R" and "H" in English.
For ex) (rhenato) perhaps or something like that.

curswine said:
the commentator who really gets on my tits the most for bad pronouciation is David Pleat, I could happiliy pound that mans face all day for the pain he has caused me.
:mrgreen: :lol:

PLF said:
Regarding the "R" sound in Brazilian, I've found what you said to be true and agree with it. It's not really an "R" pronounced like "Carrr" or "Rrradio". It has an "H" element to it.

So "Renato"'s R isn't for example pronounced in same way you say "Rack" :p or "Race". It kinda sounds like "Henato" if you pay attention actually except that it's not exactly the "H" sound either.

I guess the best way to think about it until a Brazilian can explain/clarify this to us in more detail is that you should pronounce it in a way that's kinda like something between how you'd pronounce "R" and "H" in English.
For ex) (rhenato) perhaps or something like that.

:mrgreen: :lol:

That's right, like the Portuguese, we use like a double or triple R.

I also hate some English when call Simau to SimÃO and and Johau to JoÃO, if some one's have a acustic or classic guitar you can do the ÃO pronuciation touching in the E(6th) string.

it's U... "Rhonowdeen-u",

and "Rhobeen-u", the open 'o' sound of 'option' not of 'old'

but some commentators enjoy to say RRRRRRRRRRonaldinho or RRRRRRRobinho (Rat sound) when they score or make a good play :lol:

sattan_hussein said:
it's U... "Rhonowdeen-u",

and "Rhobeen-u", the open 'o' sound of 'option' not of 'old'

but some commentators enjoy to say RRRRRRRRRRonaldinho or RRRRRRRobinho (Rat sound) when they score or make a good play :lol:

Actually it's right to say RRRRonaldinho, that's the way you pronounce.

And it's more like RRRaw Now G Nhu (Like New [Ñew]), with the brazilian accent. To make this RRR, pretend you're about to spit, and you pull all that goo from your throat.

Why do some English commentators say "Ferreria", as I've heard? It's Ferreira, like it's written.

Also, how is Eto'o pronounced, any french folks to help me? I've always said Etoo but have heard Etoe as well.

tuta77 said:
Not exactly. It's not often english speakers need to make this sound and the accent makes it almost impossible if you don't know the sound. It's "An-Ree" with (I think) only the beginning of the sound "An" from "Ant".

Hard to explain :D.

You mean it is 'ohn-ree', but the 'r' sound is much softer than the english version and comes from the throat instead of just the mouth, if that makes any sense at all. :P

For French and I think for Eto'o himself, it's pronounce Eto-o.

curswine said:
You mean it is 'ohn-ree', but the 'r' sound is much softer than the english version and comes from the throat instead of just the mouth, if that makes any sense at all. :P
Well, there's no "o" sound in his name at all. It's different. It's An" and not "Ahn" or "Ohn" or "Ene". Like that :mrgreen: :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1frc3P-LXAE

It's personally really interesting to find out Henry's pronounced "An-ree". I've always pronounced it "On-ree" just like the other English commentators. So far the only commentator I heard pronouncing it correctly was some Croatian guy on HRT2 and I always thought he's wrong. :D

For the spanish of Peru, some pronunciations of players who mentioned here are:

Robinho, Ronaldinho... ---> Rrobiño, Rronaldiño...
Dirk Kuijt ---> Dirc Cuit
John Carew ---> Yon Caréu or Yon Cariú
Xavi, Xabi Alonso... ---> Javi, Jabi Alonso... (not with "sh" as in Spain)
Thierry Henry ---> Tierrí Jenrrí or Enrrí or Anrrí (many forms of pronunciation)
Zlatko Zahovic ---> Eslatco Sájovich
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ---> Olé Gúnar Solsquiáer
Samuel Eto'o ---> Samuel Eto ó or Eto o

A commentator of german matches started to introduce funny (for people here) forms of pronunciation as for Bastian Schweinsteiger, commonly called as "Bástian Schuanstáiguer" to "Schuanstágr", Sebastian Deisler, from "Déisler" to "Dáisler", or the same Claudio Pizarro, here as "Pisárro" to "Piságo" as in Germany. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom