The official Westbromwich Albion thread

gerd

Retired Footballer
8 January 2002
Over the moon
KRC Genk, Spurs
Inspired by Nicks and his Stoke thread, i decided to begin a very official thread about this year's Championship champions (whooaaa an alliteration to start with, great, this is very poetic).

WBA...

From now on WBA's uphill struggle against relegation begins.
Will they succede in transfer valuable players and do a Reading or a Wigan or will they do a Derby County????

Will Carl Hoefkens be the first Belgian player in the Premiership since Luc Nillis (i know there was Vaesen at Birmingham, but he hardly ever played, because of that damn fool Taylor or is it Tailor)?? Or will Murphy's law make that WBA will buy another right back and sell Hoefkens to Derby County????

You can all read here in this mighty interesting thread....and this i hope from other people, because i hardly know anything about WBA, but you can be assured that i will be browsing like a fool and find valuable information about this mighty club.

Long live WBA !!!!

Ps: next time some pictures, but i couldn't be arsed for this first one...after all it's only WBA.

west brom were formed in 1878 (same as everton)

Albion were one of the founding members of The Football League in 1888 and have spent the majority of their existence in the top tier of English football. They have been champions of England only once, in 1919–20, but have had more success in the FA Cup, with five wins. The first came in 1888, the year the league was founded, and the most recent in 1968, their last major trophy. They also won the Football League Cup at the first attempt in 1966. Since the early 1980s the club has been less successful. From 1986 to 2002 they spent their longest ever period out of the top division, although there has been something of a revival in recent years: 2008-09 will be the club's fourth season in the Premier League since 2002.

so respect is due for this historical club!

welcome west brom fans....:DD

Allright, lets entertain a litle bit with some information about the reason for this new and exciting thread.

Carl Hoefkens: profession: right back.

A picture would be appropriate:

hoefkens_280x390_463959a.jpg

This is not a typical Carl Hoefkens picture, because on this picture Carl (the Hoef) is growing a beard...was he playing in a local musical about Snowy White and the seven dwarfs??? No, the Hoef and his team mates decided to let beards grow as long as their FA Cup continued....
But now they are eliminated, so this is not a very, very recent picture ???? I admit and i'm sorry.

What else is special about the Hoef ???? His defending ???? Lets wait till next season to judge...

In Belgium, the Hoef is best known for his wife Vanessa....
That could be explained by a picture...
Here is Vanessa my friends:

vanessa5nl.jpg

What do you think about Filipe Teixeira? I know he had a serious injury...but I know he played a few matches before that...
I always thought he was a talented guy..

Carl Hoefkens also played for Stoke City Nicks, i know...
Are we gonna develop a healthy rivalry between WBA and Stoke????
Shouldn't we concnetrate on the 18 other clubs that will be in the premiership next season ????

Oh and very seriously, i think Hoefkens did rather well for both Stoke and WBA.

What i wanna know is what normal starting eleven of WBA is.
I know quite a few players, but i haven't the faintest idea if they are important....

Kiely
Hoefkens
Clement
Greening (captain????)
Robinson
Morrison
Gera
Philips
Beattie
Kim
Mc Donald

Ismael Miller is a pretty good player. Came from Manchester City's academy but couldn't quite break into the first team so left for pastures new in the form of WBA!

This season he has scored an impressive 16 goals and will be looking to prove himself next season in the premier league I would imagine!

GK: Kiely
RB: Hoefkens
LB: Robinson
CB: Barnett
CB: Clement
RM: Gera
LM: Brunt
CM: Koren
CM: Greening(c)
ST: Bednar
ST: Phillips

Other key players: Miller (ST), Morrison (RM), Albrechtsen (CB/RB), Moore (ST) etc.

Thanks for the information my friends, with your help this will develop in a most informative and great thread about WBA and Carl and Vanessa Hoefkens.

Gerd, I don't know if they still do this, but the Baggies were famous for jumping up and down and singing "Boing Boing Baggies Baggies Boing Boing". It looked quite good. There might be something on Youtube still.

Also when I was a kid they were sponsored by a no smoking sign. No idea what that was all about!

Tony Mowbray there manager usually likes his team to play nice attractive football.

I look forward to seeing Mogga and his boys in the EPL. Wish them all the best.

FD

Isn't Mowbray the former manager of Hibernian ???
In an interview here in Belgium Hoefkens said (before they were champions)that in England "people" considered WBA the team who played the most attractive football in the Championship...is that true ???

Isn't Mowbray the former manager of Hibernian ???
In an interview here in Belgium Hoefkens said (before they were champions)that in England "people" considered WBA the team who played the most attractive football in the Championship...is that true ???
Definitely. But they really need to shore up their defence to stand a chance this season. Losing Curtis Davies was a blow but I'm sure they can find some good Premiership quality defenders. But they might have to look abroad for them.

I like West Brom. Partly because everytime they are in the prem we hump them 5-0 or some such home and away :D

But no, they definately play the best football in the championship, and I reckon could stay up again if they buy well.

According to the splendid official WBA website, Tony Mowbray is looking out for players on loan, possibly even players from "the big four" (imagine WBA with Drogba, Ronaldo, Adebayor or Torres - joke, im' sorry).
Problem according to Mowbray is that you can only loan two players.
Big advantage: you can have very expensive players without playing a transfer fee...let's hope they find a couple of real gems. I wouldn't mind Steve Sidwell playing for West Bromwich Albion.

Last edited:
News flash: Carl Hoefkens reveals WBA's champion's dinner:

Burgers, fries and champagne in a Mc Donalds...

Meanwhile, i have found a picture of Carl's first championship team, when he was very young i won a title with the team of FC Emblem (a village a couple of km's away from where i live, i never realised that Carl is my local football hero). They won the title against famous teams like Lierse and KV Mechelen...

kampioen1988.jpg

Another big day, was Carl's marriage with Vanessa, and yes i've found a picture of that other great day in our hero's life.

NBN_LF7_HOEFKENS_PN.MM.jpg

:LOL:

Yep, Mowbray was the manager of Hibs too Gerd and they played fantastic football too.

In his playing days he was fondly remembered at Middlesboro and Celtic. I think he could return to one of these teams as managers in time.

And a little tidbit regarding Mowbray. He actually was the man that started up the huddle in the Celtic team.

FD

West Brom are a great footballing team and their supporters are always briiliant, I wish them well in the Premiership.

West Brom are a great footballing team and their supporters are always briiliant, I wish them well in the Premiership.
Yeah, they are more or less a Premiership quality side, the kind of team that should stay in the top division year after year. I'm glad to see them back and in better shape than ever. It's not often you see a team in the Championship playing the quality of football that West Brom do so I hope they transfer that into the Prem and entertain us all. :DD

Does anybody have their PL kits? Been searching for them all over the place, and I've only found the old kit.

Very, very impressed. The No. 10 (can't remember the name) looks good if he can learn the offside rule.

Ishmael Miller is a beast! He physically beat all the Arsenal defenders and was constantly creating problems. Abhi, is it Miller you're thinking of?

Ishmael Miller is a beast! He physically beat all the Arsenal defenders and was constantly creating problems. Abhi, is it Miller you're thinking of?

Yup, that's the one. Yeh, he was a monster today. Always posed a threat, and pushed aside the Arsenal defenders as if they were midgets.

Very young too. Only 21!

Needs to learn how to beat the offside trap. He'll do well.

Back
Top Bottom