The PC Building Thread

How feasible is it to upgrade an Asus Tuf Gaming Fx504 Laptop processor, from i5 to i7? I bought my Asus laptop about 3 or 4 years ago, and I'd like to upgrade the processor to i7 so that I can play EA Sports 24 and later titles on the PC (even though I have a Switch).

I've read that it's really hard to upgrade laptop processors since they are soldered on the motherboard, but then again, I've seen a very similar model to my laptop, but with an i7 processor here: https://www.asus.com/wa/laptops/for-gaming/tuf-gaming/asus-tuf-gaming-fx504/ so I think it might be possible? Thanks in advance for your help.
Is it possible? Probably
should you do it? Mostly certainly not

once those things are soldered you are dealing with high rate of damaging it if tampered with. Your laptop has a model that was soldered with an i7 so yes it can run that processor but getting it inside (and pulling the old one) is not a drop and thats it like a desktop, you have to fuse the metals While making sure you dont burn something else
are you sure the jump from an i5 to an i7 is whats holding you back from playing those titles? Seems more of a hassle to go that route. Look into cloud Platforms or unfortunately wait to get a new laptop (and if you plan to game, see if you can go for the desktop route which in the long run will be cheaper and you can still use you laptop for other things)

@el niche I decided to compare my computer specs to FIFA 23 and EA FC24's requirements, here I put them side by side, they are almost identical requirements, actually. I tried running FIFA 23 with my i5 gaming laptop and it was super laggy, pretty much unplayable (note: I can run PES 2021 and all FIFAS up to 20 no problem - haven't played FIFA 21 or 22),

1700192265185.png1700193047462.png

Anyway, These are my laptop specs:

- CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
- RAM: 16 GB
- VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti, GDDR5, 4 GB
- DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060, GDDR5, 6 GB

So technically, I don't meet the Recommended Requirements, only the Minimum Ones in terms of CPU. My RAM seems fine.. So it leads me to believe that the problem is either in the processor, or the video cards.

I'm not sure I want to use cloud platorms, I'd like a more permanent solution.. But maybe I CAN play these games smoothly, I just don't know what to upgrade or if even my i5 is the issue.. Anyway, thanks for your advice :), you're right, replacing the processor seems a bit risky..

Last edited:
Not that it helps in any way, but I'm very tempted to go for a Framework for my next laptop. You do pay more for them, but I do like the idea of being able to upgrade most of the components

Yes you can upgrade laptop processors.
Should you do it - Absolutely not.

Processors on laptops are soldered to the board, so unless you are a professional solderer, then don't even think about attempting it.
So I would never do this.

The specs for FIFA are very similar every year, as the engine remains the same.
The specs increased a couple of years ago when PC got the next gen version.

Also which GFX Card do you have?
- VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti, GDDR5, 4 GB
- DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060, GDDR5, 6 GB

The problem is the minimum spec is the Desktop 1050ti which is a different card to what goes in laptops.
Even with a desktop 1050ti, I would expect the game to really struggle.

@bsmaff Thanks for the info. Following up on your post, would it be possible to play these games (FIFA 23 and EA FC 24) if I upgraded my video cards? Is this even possible on a gaming laptop? And also, would upgrading the video cards make these games run smoothly even with my i5 processor?

Sorry about so many questions, computer technicalities are not my field of expertise.

EDIT: Found this list, perhaps it might be useful: https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/graphics-cards/tuf-gaming/filter?Series=TUF-Gaming

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom