The PC Building Thread

Forgot to add it comes with 3 fans and i'm thinking of buying a fan controller, are they worth it or not?

11-992-007-02.jpg

If you are looking at processors wait a month.

Kaby Lake is being released in a few days and Skylake, Haswell and Ivybridge processor prices are going to drop or you will be able to get the new Kaby Lake chips the same price as Skylake and probably a 15% increase in performance at the same time.

Nice thanks.
Do you happen to know the release date of Kaby Lake? So I can start checking if/when prices drop for Skylake.

Hey guys!

I'm looking for your input.

I'm thinking of upgrading my PC. You can see my current specs on my Signature below.

I just bought these:

MSI Enthuastic Gaming Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (Z170A Gaming M7)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0131GA4PK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200 C16 for DDR4 Systems - White
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EI5ZRQY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And since my I couldn't afford to get everything at once, next month I'll be getting this:
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151 [BX80662I76700K]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012M8LXQW/ref=twister_B015OTEPGQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And then, on March, I'll get this:
NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower Computer Case , White/Blue (CA-PH410-W2)
https://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Towe...132355&sr=1-2&keywords=NZXT+Phantom+410+white

And then probably some kind of cooling system (don't know which one yet).

And I plan to keep my current Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon Tri-x R9 290x 4gb Ddr5 Oc Gddr5 and my HDDs.

What do you think?

Sorry to quote myself, but I'm still interested in what you guys have to say about this.

Nothing wrong with the build..

Just need to ask do you really need an i7 over an i5, performance wise they are very very similar.

I want something that will let me upgrade in, say, 2 years without having to totally rebuild my PC like I have to do now.
For example, take the 16GB RAM DDR4 to 32 without having to get another motherboard. Or upgrade the processor whenever Intel decides to create something new.

So I thought the i7 Skylake would let me be easy for quite some time before I have to go through this process again.
If I bought an i5 I'd probably need a little upgrade in two years. Right now I have a Intel i7 @ 2.80 GHz and it's starting to show its age. I got it 4 years ago.

See, my chain-of-thought is, when I invest on a PC upgrade, I invest hard. So that I can forget about it for at least 4-5 years. I don't like short/middle term solutions.

But I would love to know when the new Kaby Lake will be released. I'll google it right now.

Kaby Lake will be released during CES, but might not be available in decent quantities for a month or so after release.

I doubt I will be upgrading again this year till benchmarks are released as the 6700K actually performs worse than the 4790K which I have at the moment.

However it is getting to the stage where I want to an M2 SSD as they are quicker than standard SSD's and also want to move over to DDR4 eventually.

So... after reading that. I'm more and more inclined to get this Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Unlock...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=XFQQ1SPERBD2BGWHDC7A&th=1

I never overclocked anything. Not even a video card, go figure a processor. Wouldn't even know how to start. That's why I want something good right from out of the box.

Unless the processor price is the same for the new Intel processors it looks like the Skylake CPU's will be fine.

Are you planning to buy it with the Water Cooler? Because if you aren't going to overclock I would recommend a silent Air cooler instead.. The noise levels of a water cooler aren't worth it

Right im after a new graphics card now.

I should have just gone the whole hog the first time round and got a decent one.

Is the Radeon R9 280X still a worthing purchase?

It can be picked up for £90-120 now

I have now read the review and benchmarks on Anandtech and the new Kaby Lake performs slightly better.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10968...1w-review-the-new-stock-performance-champion/

It is the best processor to get out of the box due to it's higher clock speeds, compared to the Skylake chips.

Yeah, you are right.

However, I need to purchase it before the end of this month, since I'm in Argentina but I'm getting it through Amazon US and having it shipped to a friend's house. She'll be coming to Argentina by the end of this month, so she'll bring it to me. I'll be saving about 150 (US Dollars) if I do it that way instead of buying it directly in Argentina.

The only problem is.... as you said, it'll be harder for me to get the new Kaby Lake as it'll probably not drop till late February or so. By that time, my friend will already be here =(

Unless the processor price is the same for the new Intel processors it looks like the Skylake CPU's will be fine.

Are you planning to buy it with the Water Cooler? Because if you aren't going to overclock I would recommend a silent Air cooler instead.. The noise levels of a water cooler aren't worth it

I would love to overclock it but I haven't got the slightest idea on how to do that and I don't want to ruin the processor.

So I'll have to stick with default parameters and yes... will get it wiith the Silent Air Cooler.
Would you please provide an Amazon link for me to get it with the cooler?

I've just been watching some comparison videos and it seems the 470 iant as good as the 970.

Even 480 as well looks to be on par with the 970.

I'm gonna be honest the 1060 doesn't look much better for the extra 60+ quid either.

But I'm just going off all these comparison videos lol

The GTX 1060 is roughly around 10% faster than the GTX 970.. I would not pay the extra £60-£100 more the GTX 1060 costs.

The only comparisons I could find is the GTX 970 is around 5% faster than the 470.
But looking at the 970 v 480 they are very similar matched so would assume the 470 would actually perform less than the GTX 970.

However I would of thought the GTX 970 would of been available very cheap now 2nd hand - I sold mine for £130 when I bought my 1070. So if you look on eBay you might get one nearer £100 by now.

The GTX 1060 is roughly around 10% faster than the GTX 970.. I would not pay the extra £60-£100 more the GTX 1060 costs.

The only comparisons I could find is the GTX 970 is around 5% faster than the 470.
But looking at the 970 v 480 they are very similar matched so would assume the 470 would actually perform less than the GTX 970.

However I would of thought the GTX 970 would of been available very cheap now 2nd hand - I sold mine for £130 when I bought my 1070. So if you look on eBay you might get one nearer £100 by now.

Thanks

I've been looking for a week mate. They are going for £160-175 not including postage still on ebay.

I would have snapped your hand off at £130 lol. It seems its a card very much in demand still.

Thanks

I've been looking for a week mate. They are going for £160-175 not including postage still on ebay.

I would have snapped your hand off at £130 lol. It seems its a card very much in demand still.

Suprised they are still going for the amounts they are.. I thought you could buy them new for £180.

They are still high in demand as they are probably the perfect card for 1080p gaming, you can run pretty much everything in 1080p with maxed out settings.

I'm very happy with my Radeon Tri-X R9 290x (got it last year), but after I'm done with all the upgrades I've been talking about in this page and the previous one, I'll probably go for the GTX 1080 (MSI or ASUS or GIGABYTE). Or similar. I'm not used to change the vga card every year, but I want to get something that won't fall short next year. Something that will allow me to keep getting and running the lastest games (2017-2018) running at ULTRA settings without having to worry.

I'm guessing that with 16GB RAM DDR4, an i7 6700K Skylake processor and a GTX 1080 I'll be able to do so. Don't know if I could with my current card.

Suprised they are still going for the amounts they are.. I thought you could buy them new for £180.

They are still high in demand as they are probably the perfect card for 1080p gaming, you can run pretty much everything in 1080p with maxed out settings.

At least i'm getting a decent card then :)

Where did you see them at £180 mate?

At least i'm getting a decent card then :)

Where did you see them at £180 mate?

It doesn't look like you can buy them new anymore.

I have seen them now and again on Hot UK Deals, where people have been listing them for the £170-£180 mark.. Looking now they are selling new for the same price as the 1060.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asu...-graphics-card-nvidia-172-currys-ebay-2519125

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/pny...tion-4-gb-graphics-card-170-03-1-only-2560349

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asu...-graphics-card-174-91-currys-pc-world-2516653

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nvi...yte-g1-gaming-174-99-delivered-ebuyer-2512379

Last edited:

Nice one.

I'll be just my luck that a offer comes on next week haha.

I'm after a processor still as well, speedster suggested these i5 3550/3570/3570K.

I've seen of a lot of people using the 3570k for gaming. Do you have any recommendations to pair with a 970?

Last edited:
Nice one.

I'll be just my luck that a offer comes on next week haha.

I'm after a processor still as well, speedster suggested these i5 3550/3570/3570K.

I've seen of a lot of people using the 3570k for gaming. Do you have any recommendations to pair with a 970?

As far as processors go Ivybridge 3000 series are probably going to provide the best bang per buck at the moment, as suspect 2nd hand they go pretty cheap.

I would personally go with the i5 3570K or 4770K depending on the price of the chips, Skylake and Kaby Lake are probably both really expensive 2nd hand, so is the 4790K.

Ok cool.

Second hand the 3570k's are £110-125 to buy now on eBay. I've watched a few in the auctions so I'll see what they are going for.

So I've got my new card and processor and both are brilliant so thanks for all the advice on what to get i'm very happy with them but i'm just wondering the best way to use the graphics card.

In "Manage 3D settings" in the Nvidia control panel should i change any of the global settings or should i just do all the graphical settings in game to get the best out of them?

Back
Top Bottom