The PC Building Thread

Just beware that while SATA SSD vs NVMe speeds differ quite drastically in theory, you won't really notice, unless you're doing some heavy-duty video editing or data transfers. If you're using your PC for everyday and gaming purposes, the SATA SSD is the better choice imo (at least currently), as you can basically get a 1 TB for the price of a 500 GB NVMe.

Just beware that while SATA SSD vs NVMe speeds differ quite drastically in theory, you won't really notice, unless you're doing some heavy-duty video editing or data transfers. If you're using your PC for everyday and gaming purposes, the SATA SSD is the better choice imo (at least currently), as you can basically get a 1 TB for the price of a 500 GB NVMe.

Buying an M2 SSD isn't just about performance, yes real world isn't that much difference.
I noticed my PC boots faster with an NVMe, but probably more placebo than actually happen.

I prefer them as they make the system a lot cleaner, no wires going all over the place it means I have two less SATA leads and can remove a whole SATA block from my modular PSU which makes cable management much easier and pleasing on the eye.

Yeah that's the big positive at the moment, it is indeed a lot cleaner. If you are on a budget and want to get a bigger SSD, you could save some money by getting an M.2 SATA SSD (instead of a M.2 NVMe) and still have the nice little module with no cables. They usually cost only ~5 EUR more than their normal counterparts.

All parts ordered:

AMD Ryzen 2700x - 194.21 EUR (From Amazon.it no idea if flash sale or glitch but it's a crazy price last night and was back to 340EUR not long after my order went through!)
Asus Prime X470-PRO - 169.80 EUR
Gskill F4-3200C14D-16GVR RAM - 211.40 EUR
Samsung MZ-V7E1T0BW 970 EVO 1 TB - 211.83

Total: 787.24EUR

I think the only final thing I might order is an All in One water cooler, should be good to go with the rest :)

All parts ordered:

AMD Ryzen 2700x - 194.21 EUR (From Amazon.it no idea if flash sale or glitch but it's a crazy price last night and was back to 340EUR not long after my order went through!)
Asus Prime X470-PRO - 169.80 EUR
Gskill F4-3200C14D-16GVR RAM - 211.40 EUR
Samsung MZ-V7E1T0BW 970 EVO 1 TB - 211.83

Total: 787.24EUR

I think the only final thing I might order is an All in One water cooler, should be good to go with the rest :)

I don't know if water coolers have improved since I bought mine, but I would stick with a decent air cooler.
The noise of the fans and radiator are not worth the extra 5c cooling you get - One of the biggest mistakes I ever made buying my water cooler.

I went with this All-in-one which has good reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEEPCOOL-C...729666&sr=8-2&keywords=DEEPCOOL+Captain+240EX

I got it from Amazon Spain and I have Prime so I could change my mind and have them come collect it at no cost to me :)

Edit: On second thoughts reading a couple of reports of it leaking maybe I'll err on the safe side and stick with aircooled. Order cancelled!

So can you recommend an aircooler for max £70-80 (around 80EUR) please?

Unless you're going to be doing heavy overclocking, the stock cooler (Wraith Prism) that comes with the 2700x is actually really good, dare I say fantastic if you don't OC.

If you do intend to overclock, the best of the best air coolers would fit into your budget - Noctua NH-D15 is renowned for its superb cooling efficiency and silent operation, only downside is that it looks horrendous imo. :D The be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 is basically the same, only it looks way better.

At about half the price I've heard really good things about the Thermalright Macho (Rev. B) and the Scythe Mugen 5 (Rev. B).

I probably will OC at some point but not right away, and yeah that's the decision I pretty much reached the the Noctua's seem to be about the best option but for now I'll stick with the stock cooler until I know what clearance etc I have in my case for a better cooler.

The best air coolers are Noctua or Be Quiet

Air coolers are silent and now produce temperatures that are nearly identical to water coolers, and after owning a water cooler I really can't recommend due to the noise they produce.

The CPU/RAM/Mobo all arrived today and the good news is it all installed perfectly, booted first time, cloned my OS to the new NVME which also booted perfectly, bad news is I later realised Amazon sent the wrong RAM, they send me F4-2400 not F4-3200, so have a replacement order arrive on Tuesday and for now will use this RAM then return it when the new RAM is installed, that's why I only buy from Amazon, any other store would take forever to resolve such a problem and probably insist I return the RAM first before they send a replacement.

Is OC really necessary? Does it get you that much of an advantage even though you're pushing it to the edge?

Never overclocked a GPU personally, as seen it brick a couple of cards in the past.

I overclock my CPU though and always have done, you don't really notice it till you got back to stock clocks and notice that everything takes longer to load.

I have a i7 7700K, it has a turbo clock of 4.5Ghz - Mine runs at 5Ghz that is per core effectively giving the CPU a 2Ghz overclock.
If you overclock your system now use it for a week and then go back to stock clocks you will instantly notice a difference.

Is OC really necessary? Does it get you that much of an advantage even though you're pushing it to the edge?
Looking at your signature, you've gone for the K version of your CPU and the Z version of your motherboard - buying those basically means you'll be overclocking, that's why they're available. If you're using the K version without overclocking, you've theoretically wasted some money because you could have gone for the cheaper non-K version and had the same performance as you currently do.

Quite similar is the case with the Strix as well (although it can't be said about every card), they tend to have good cooling and are generally overclock-able.

Looking at your signature, you've gone for the K version of your CPU and the Z version of your motherboard - buying those basically means you'll be overclocking, that's why they're available. If you're using the K version without overclocking, you've theoretically wasted some money because you could have gone for the cheaper non-K version and had the same performance as you currently do.

Quite similar is the case with the Strix as well (although it can't be said about every card), they tend to have good cooling and are generally overclock-able.

I didn't really know what I was getting.
I just knew the Kaby Lake was the Intel's lastest processor (at the time) and that Motherboard was a good one too.
But I have never overclocked anything. I wouldn't even know where to start tbh.

Correct RAM just arrived and I slapped that sucker in!

m0Bbzm6.png

I done a benchmark on my machine and got the following results:-

Novabench Score: 2679
26/11/2018 18:46
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K running at 5GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

CPU Score

Float Ops: 211924857
Integer Ops: 1754782568
Hash Ops: 1771991

RAM Score - 16GB (Corsair Vengence 3200 RAM 2x8GB)

RAM Speed: 30605 MB/s

GPU Score

Direct3D11: 177 FPS
OpenCL: 12585 GFLOPS
Disk Score

Write Speed: 1522 MB/s
Read Speed: 2156 MB/s

I am a little surprised mainly by your SSD being faster than mine considering they are the same.
The CPU score is clearly defined by number of cores and shows the poor performance of Intel chips using multi-core programs.
Would be interesting to see how the new Intel chips perform, given they are now have 8 cores.

The results clearly show though it is probably about time I upgraded my processor - The CPU score would be in the low 1000 if it wasn't overclocked (Might even be under 1000)

Last edited:
I'm sure Novabench isn't the best benchmarking app I just don't really hold much stock in benchmarking so did a google and grabbed this one! At least it shows I've doubled the performance of my 8350 system which is what I was really aiming for with the upgrade, interesting that the same GPU scores better, not sure if the PCI-E slot is faster in this new motherboard or simply that the mobo/cpu/ram combo just utilises it much better but I'm certainly not complaining!

alright. can someone please help me on that one!?
500 euro budget for a computer only, capable of playing PES2019 in 4k/60fps

my question, as i am not up to date with these days hardware, what CPU and what GPU are best for the money. 16GB of RAM ill get myself, HDD aint a problem too, mainboard advice could also be helpfull, and a case incl. cooling i can get myself.
so all i need is advice on a good processor and gfx card that lasts for at least the next 3 PES! :)
if there is a super duper offer for a fuly configured computer that fits my demand, please tell me!

thx in advance!

ps: i got a little bit hungry for @Chuny's gfx mod and the other editing stuff that is available. :D

my question, as i am not up to date with these days hardware, what CPU and what GPU are best for the money. 16GB of RAM ill get myself, HDD aint a problem too, mainboard advice could also be helpfull, and a case incl. cooling i can get myself.
so all i need is advice on a good processor and gfx card that lasts for at least the next 3 PES! :)
if there is a super duper offer for a fuly configured computer that fits my demand, please tell me!

thx in advance!

ps: i got a little bit hungry for @Chuny's gfx mod and the other editing stuff that is available. :D
I'd be interested in this info too but a small form factor as would like it to take up less space

thx in advance!

TBH I have not played PES on PC for years, so don't know how graphically intense it is but will judge it by FIFA.

I think for a 500E budget it is potentially going to be a struggle at 4K, so what most likely need to get a GTX 1060 or AMD equivalent to get 4K @60FPS..

Processor wise, going down the AMD route is best and the 2600X is probably more in the available budget and provides best performance.
Motherboards I would stick with ASUS, MSI are also meant to be pretty good, but in my time of building PC's for a living always had no end of trouble with Gigabyte boards - Although this was years ago, I still don't trust them and would never buy one personally.

The ASUS Prime boards are normally the high end boards before getting to the ROG boards, and normally have the same important features, like same power phasing - Japanese/Korean resisters and not cheap Chinese ones which are on most boards under £100.

Anyone recommend a site that I can put in a budget and it tells me all the parts to buy?

I'm too lazy to read up on all the various parts.

Anyone recommend a site that I can put in a budget and it tells me all the parts to buy?

I'm too lazy to read up on all the various parts.

Just state your budget Shooto and let me know what you want it to do?
And what you currently have, as you will probably be able to re-use the same products.

I'd also be interested in what you come up with.

I've been slowly expanding my PC over the years: I've added SSD storage and currently I have two Crucial MX500 SSDs running together in an IcyDock module (which I bought for cable management purposes) which provide more than enough storage space, I proceeded to add more RAM (currently 12 GB of triple-channel DDR3 RAM), and to upgrade the video card (that R9 270X deal was too good to pass on)... But the "heart" of it is still that old i7 920 CPU I bought in late 2009 with an ASUS P6T motherboard, so I thought I would start considering an upgrade of everything (apart from the storage maybe: I could easily move my IcyDock with the disks to the new cabinet, but I must admit I'm pretty tempted by NVMe storage at the moment).

Bsmaff, That would be awesome!

I am giving my current Pc to my son who has just started college, so pretty much starting afresh.

Budget of £1.5 - £2k but that will need to include OS & Monitor too. Keyboard and mouse I can pick up.

Been looking at gtx 1080 bundles but I'm a software guy rather than knowing the ins and outs of all the components.

Well if anyone is interested, I have a 7700K and Asus Prime motherboard I am willing to sell for £300.

It is all overclocked to 5Ghz, so if you have a decent cooler you would be able to keep the overclock.

Bsmaff, That would be awesome!

I am giving my current Pc to my son who has just started college, so pretty much starting afresh.

Budget of £1.5 - £2k but that will need to include OS & Monitor too. Keyboard and mouse I can pick up.

Been looking at gtx 1080 bundles but I'm a software guy rather than knowing the ins and outs of all the components.

I will have a look at stuff but given the very large budget, you would have no problems getting a 1080ti machine with an i7.

Changed my order..

Ended up with an i7-9700K and a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO.

Went against everything I believe in when it comes to motherboards, but every review site stated it is the best board under $300.
The other boards I was looking at were the ASUS Z390 Prime-A and ASUS ROG Hero.
My heart wanted the ASUS Hero, but didn't want to go against the reviews of multiple websites, so listened to my head.

Being Gigabyte I hope it lasts longer than my previous ones.

Last edited:
Well I didn't really look into the warranty, but most Gigabytes die before a year is out and the ASUS boards didn't review very well.

Every site I visited said the Gigabyte is by far the best board and purchased from Amazon, so should get decent warranty through them if it does fail.

First Gigabyte motherboard, I have bought for about 10 years this week.

I would never buy again, yes they review quite well and give out of the box performance.

But the BIOS is a complete mess, it is really difficult to find the correct overclocking settings.

Asus boards are so much better in terms of BIOS and being able to configure them better.

Really regret buying the Gigabyte and knew from the start I should of stuck with what my head was saying and get the ASUS Prime or Hero XI

Back
Top Bottom