The PC Building Thread

The thing is the Gigabyte boards aren't budget..

But there BIOS is a mess, I will be looking to see if I can send mine back as faulty as bought from Amazon and then buy either the ASUS Prime or Hero XI

The thing is the Gigabyte boards aren't budget..

But there BIOS is a mess, I will be looking to see if I can send mine back as faulty as bought from Amazon and then buy either the ASUS Prime or Hero XI
Your post where you said you'd be ordering it, is from December 3 2018. Amazon has a 30-day return policy which is even extended to January 31 2019 around Christmas time. You can return it without there being any defects or malfunctions (i.e. without a serious reason) within that window.

That is why I bought it from Amazon.

Just a pain that I will have to rebuild the system again, although only take 20-30 mins.

My old motherboard and processor end on eBay tonight, so depending on how much that sells for will decide if I get the Hero XI or the Prime.

But ASUS are still the way forward, and will never buy a Gigabyte again, no matter how good the reviews.

Done it bought the ASUS ROG Hero XI Wifi board as only 1p more to get the Wifi over the other board.

Will now very happily send the board back to Amazon and get a refund on it.

NEVER BUY GIGABYTE!!

I will see what the difference is in performance of the overclock when I get home and build the machine tonight.

The Gigabyte got 5.0GHz stable at 1.325V, but wouldn't go any higher at all.
Was also very difficult to get the CPU overclocked using an Adaptive voltage, which is really easy to do on an ASUS.

I am hoping with the ASUS will be able to overclock to either 5.2 or 5.3, but I might be unlucky and not won the silicon lottery.

So tested the motherboard last night and now have a 5.2Ghz stable overclock on the ASUS board using an Adaptive voltage.
Not tried 5.3Ghz yet but given the voltage is still not bad I reckon I could get to 5.3.

The strange thing as well is the CPU also runs 10c colder on the ASUS motherboard than the Gigabyte, which is strange consider both had the same amount of thermal paste.

So far it is a much superior board for overclocking and so much easier to use and customise the overclock.
The Gigabyte has so many overclocking options and non are necessary.

Just tried Novabench on my i9-9900K, not overclocked yet.

i9900K.png

I think I need to upgrade my old OC'ed i5 3570k and MSI Z68 mobo soon judging by what you lot are posting lol.

I might have to start scouting the second-hand market again to see what I can get becuase i cant bring myself to pay £250-300 just for a processor haha

I think I need to upgrade my old OC'ed i5 3570k and MSI Z68 mobo soon judging by what you lot are posting lol.

I might have to start scouting the second-hand market again to see what I can get becuase i cant bring myself to pay £250-300 just for a processor haha

How much you looking to spend?

But TBH you wouldn't be getting that much more performance than your current CPU for £150

Gaming on PC is more about GPU than CPU, so I would consider upgrading your GPU before getting a better processor.

How much you looking to spend?

But TBH you wouldn't be getting that much more performance than your current CPU for £150

Gaming on PC is more about GPU than CPU, so I would consider upgrading your GPU before getting a better processor.

I'm a cheapskate so only about £200 for a processor and mobo lol. I should be able to get about £120 from my CPU, Mobo and Ram though so I'm only spending 80 quid.

I was thinking of a Ryzen 2600 because someone posted this when I was searching around and it seemed like it was a worthy step up from mine.

I guess my 1070 would bottleneck it though as they are using a 1080ti for testing.

Does anyone here own a Ryzen processor?

I bought a key for Division 2 on eBay and I need to use the AMD verification app to make sure my system has a Ryzen to get the final activation key for Uplay.

So could someone do me what is probably a 5 minute favour?

I bought an AMD Vega GPU which included a copy of The Division 2 (along with Resident Evil 2 and DmC 5) but the keys are not getting revealed until the release dates.

I'm guessing it's a seperate offer for Ryzen so I probably can't help as I'm still on an i7 4790k.

@bsmaff I consider choosing water cooler between AIO & Custom. Custom look very beauty but not easy to building also the price isn't cheap especially in my country. After that I like 2 custom water cooler: Corsair H150i or H110 in your signature vs Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 RGB ( i like this more than H150i because of RGB :D). I want to ask you about life expectancy : 4-5 years or longer or shorter & really need change coolant after long time using it or not.

@bsmaff I consider choosing water cooler between AIO & Custom. Custom look very beauty but not easy to building also the price isn't cheap especially in my country. After that I like 2 custom water cooler: Corsair H150i or H110 in your signature vs Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 RGB ( i like this more than H150i because of RGB :D). I want to ask you about life expectancy : 4-5 years or longer or shorter & really need change coolant after long time using it or not.

I use a water cooler at the moment, I have an old corsair one and not 100% sure on the model number.

But apart from that I don't have any experience with them TBH, they are just something thought I would try as they give marginally better cooling than top air coolers.

Personally they are something I can't recommend, the noise levels for me are just not worth the extra 5c cooling.
If I was buying now I certainly would not be buying a water cooler, unless they have made massive improvements on the volume of the radiator and fans.

Last edited:
How about temp when use water cooler & not use with your specs? It's small disparity or tiny. I don't know the reason why people when buy new PC still prefer custom water cooling with high price: that's really necessary for decrease or only make look gorgeous? IMO of course custom water cooling so beautiful & amazing design: EWKB, XSPC, Bitspower ... but with this money must pay for them can upgrade other components like HDD, RAM or VGA.

Water cooling has it advantages.

The PC build looks such clean with a hidden rad and just two tubes going to the CPU, rather than such a massive big cooler.
So people building machines probably prefer water coolers just because of the looks.

As I said though however, for me personally I don't have a side window so when my water cooler starts giving up I will buy a decent Noctua air cooler so my PC will be completely silent again.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kqcVdX

This should blow NES and Football Manager out of the water.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£115.33 @ Box Limited)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£63.44 @ CCL Computers)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£82.00 @ CCL Computers)

Storage: Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.64 @ BT Shop)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 4 GB PULSE Video Card (£138.89 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£42.94 @ Box Limited)

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£64.97 @ Amazon UK)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£93.99 @ CCL Computers)

Total: £697.19

Is this a good PC build I'd only really be playing PES and FM

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kqcVdX

This should blow NES and Football Manager out of the water.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£115.33 @ Box Limited)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£63.44 @ CCL Computers)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£82.00 @ CCL Computers)

Storage: Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.64 @ BT Shop)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 4 GB PULSE Video Card (£138.89 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£42.94 @ Box Limited)

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£64.97 @ Amazon UK)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£93.99 @ CCL Computers)

Total: £697.19

Is this a good PC build I'd only really be playing PES and FM

Personally would not skimp on motherboard, one of the most important components.

Do you need an HD, would be better off with a 256GB and 512GB for faster performance.

£93 for Windows 10??? Is it a limited edition copy where Bill Gates comes round your house to install it?

Is there much of a price difference between 2nd and 3rd generation Ryzon?

Personally would not skimp on motherboard, one of the most important components.

Do you need an HD, would be better off with a 256GB and 512GB for faster performance.

£93 for Windows 10??? Is it a limited edition copy where Bill Gates comes round your house to install it?

Is there much of a price difference between 2nd and 3rd generation Ryzon?

What motherboard would you recommend?

The difference is probably around £60-70 quid between 2nd and 3rd gen

Rest of the system is perfectly fine.

I will check the motherboard, and would also recommend not to pay £95 for Windows 10.

Do you not have a Windows 7 or 8 license key lying around?

I had a win7 disk laying around somewhere, is it it possible to transfer my Win10 from my current PC? I was part of the windows insider program and got my win 10 that way

You can use a Windows 7 license to activate Windows 10, so you won't need to purchase a new license.
That will save you £90, which can then be spent on components.

After reading other opinions online, it seems that the AMD B450 boards are not that bad and just have cheap VRM's (these deliver power to the CPU, making for a poor overclock) and lack a few extra USB port headers.
+ Looking on amazon most of the B450 motherboards also appear to be Micro ATX, so will lack a lot of features.

If your going to save £95 on the OS, I would consider putting the money back into a GFX card, either getting a more powerful older gen card on eBay around the £200 mark (should be able to get a GTX 1070) or purchase a new 1660 Ti.

My win10 is digitally linked to my Microsoft account so I shouldn't have to purchase a new windows licence, as I should be able to download the iso iso use my account info to move my licence

So if my budget was 700 quid what would you recommend for a full build

Last edited:
Back again thinking about another PC upgrade lol

Whats does everyone think to a 5700XT GFX card with Ryzen 3600 CPU with a MSI Tomahawk MAX B450 board?

Baring in mind this is going from a I5 3570k CPU and GTX 1070 graphics card.

Back
Top Bottom