The Pogues Feat Kirsty McColl...

Fairytale of New York - Genius or bollocks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CW

C Dub
Founding Member
6 October 2001
Liverpool
...Fairytale of New York.

One of the best Christmas songs ever or total balls? You decide

Bollocks.

The reason? The drunkered twat talking into a mic. The actual musical arrangement a minute or two in is really great and Christmassy, just a shame someone had to ruin it by talking/singing.

Damn, this is tough for me. I like the cheery tune, but Shane MacGowan's goofy features are ever present which makes the video at least hard to watch. The guy is everything someone should aspire not to be. The video has a real Christmas feel to it though.

When you listen to the music without the video, MacGowan's shit talking/singing at the start is too overpowering and its hard to keep interested. I do like the exchanging of words/insults between Shane and Kirsty though. Thats the best part, and the songs saving grace, that and the cheery music.

It is a classic, so I say yes it is one of the best Christmas songs ever. :thumbup:

Absolute genius...
And some bitter irony too: MC Gowan with all his drinking still lives and Mac Coll is already death.
and for those who want to buy the song, buy the album ("If i could fall from grace with God"), it's their best album...

Bollocks.........

I don't what it is about this song that doesnt appeal to me, sure it is a very festive song and is not as drone as "Merry Christmas Everybody" by slade. Something about it does annoy me, I have nout against Kirst McColl but he is a drunken asshole. Don't like the guy one bit, somehting about him makes me think of tramp, bum and dirty uncle all in one.

Last edited:
Bollocks.........

I don't what it is about this song that doesnt appeal to me, sure it is a very festive song and is not as drone as "Merry Christmas Everybody" by slade. Something about it does annoy me, I have nout against Kirst McColl but he is a drunken asshole. Don't like the guy one bit, somehting about him makes me think of tramp, bum and dirty uncle all in one.

I'm afraid your reaction is bollocks.
Obviously you've never heard the song...Kirstie Mc Coll is a woman....
She's made one of the finest albums of the eighties: "Kite" great....

I'm afraid your reaction is bollocks.
Obviously you've never heard the song...Kirstie Mc Coll is a woman....
She's made one of the finest albums of the eighties: "Kite" great....

I was referring to Shane MacGowan, I said I had nothing against Kirstie McColl. So your reply is not only bollocks but inaccurate.:roll: :roll: FFS I think I know when I have heard a song or not.

I've heard the song once or twice, so I won't claim that I love it or that I can remember all of the words, but... At our house on Christmas Day, we have the TV on in the corner, with a music channel left on so that we can feel "Christmassy" while we stuff our faces and secretly hope that uncle George will die before next Christmas. When this song comes on, it's one of the few that will stay on in the background with normal conversation carrying on, rather than be met with a chorus of "OH GOD TURN IT OVER". So, the vote from me is "genius".

I've got nothing against Slade or any of the other guys, but if the words "so here it is, Merry Christmas" sneak out of the speakers, then the next channel gets a chance. And if the next channel features the same song, then the TV gets switched off and my sister shouts "WHO WANTS TO PLAY TRIVIAL PURSUIT?!".

I. Fucking. Hate. Christmas.

I was referring to Shane MacGowan, I said I had nothing against Kirstie McColl. So your reply is not only bollocks but inaccurate.:roll: :roll: FFS I think I know when I have heard a song or not.

Sorry...i was wrong...and you were right (even Rangers fans sometimes get it right).

What does FFS stand for???

What does it means???
Isn't "fuck" a very obscene word???
Example: if you just got killed in a online game, you may type FFS into the console to symbolize you are pissed for dying. In other words you are saying "oh for fucks sake, why did I die". The same could also apply to conceding a goal in a game of PRO EVO. "FFS, I dont believe you scored" etc, etc, etc...

Those are examples of how this Acronym can be most commonly used. As for the word in general. Like Cloud1863 says in the next post, Fuck is such a mainstream word now, it can be used in almost any situation or context.

Last edited:
Sorry...i was wrong...and you were right (even Rangers fans sometimes get it right).

What does FFS stand for???

What was the need for that comment, do you have something wrong with Rangers fans? What exactly do we get wrong?

What does it means???
Isn't "fuck" a very obscene word???

Yes it can be though I would say it depends how its put across.

For example if I were to call you a fuck or fuck you then that would be very strong feelings coming from me towards you in an unpleasant manner. But it can be used ( as AD16 states) to show your annoyance at a situation or patronised.

Last edited:
Absolute genius, i'd go as far to say that it's one of the greatest songs ever recorded. (full stop)

What exactly do we get wrong?

That's pretty obvious: Rangers.

Naaah, just drop it....i was making silly jokes.
You're a nice guy....it's just that i like Celtic but as a foreigner what would i have against Rangers.I'm Belgian and Buffel plays for Rangers....

If i offended you with my lame jokes: i'm very sorry...Merry Christmas.

That's pretty obvious: Rangers.

Naaah, just drop it....i was making silly jokes.
You're a nice guy....it's just that i like Celtic but as a foreigner what would i have against Rangers.I'm Belgian and Buffel plays for Rangers....

If i offended you with my lame jokes: i'm very sorry...Merry Christmas.

Not offended m8, my skin is thicker than that. :p

No probs I like to follow up with arguments on occasion, FD and Classic will vouch for that. ;)

Merry Christmas to you too. :D

I don't think it's genius but I quite like it, one of the better Christmas songs. Best one for me though is an acoustic cover of WHAM's 'Last Christmas' by James Dean Bradfield of the Manic Street Preachers. He performed it on TFI Friday (old UK show) a few years ago and blew me away, I really wish someone had a video or even an audio recording of it, I've not seen it since and we didn't have no Sky+ back in them days. :(

I don't think it's genius but I quite like it, one of the better Christmas songs. Best one for me though is an acoustic cover of WHAM's 'Last Christmas' by James Dean Bradfield of the Manic Street Preachers. He performed it on TFI Friday (old UK show) a few years ago and blew me away, I really wish someone had a video or even an audio recording of it, I've not seen it since and we didn't have no Sky+ back in them days. :(
Merry Christmas.

I saw them play this live at the NEC in Birmingham in 1998, ah memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a true genius song and definitely one of the best songs ever written let alone for an Xmas song. Shane McGowan is a legend. He's not afraid to be who he is and there's a man that done something.

Poll and thread now closed, to be re-posted again next December

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom