The Project Cars 2 Thread

I bought the first one, imo it was a litle bit soulless.
I'm hesitating between this and Forza Motorsport 7. What would you guys do?

I bought the first one, imo it was a litle bit soulless.
I'm hesitating between this and Forza Motorsport 7. What would you guys do?
That soul will still be missing, but personally, I love the realism, the variable weather etc... Playing with a controller is better now, apparently - but I doubt it'll feel as good as Forza will with a controller, because that's the focus (and Forza on the Xbox One X will look fantastic, I'd imagine).

I'll buy anything that tries to be "real", so it's soulless PC2 for me - but I'd imagine Forza will "feel" better, if that makes sense.

I can see were you'are coming from Chris.
You convinced me, i'm not an hardcore gamer, so Forza might be the one for me, although PC dserves lots of praise, and "soulless" is too harsh for PC.

PC1 wasn't bad, but it felt very repetitive after a while. And my god, the handling with gamepad/keyboard was awful to the point that it's playable but not enjoyable. Also the cars didn't have much variety in the first game.

PC2 looks promising, but I gotta do more research on this game.

That review sounds very promising.

Like Sami said with a controller PC1 was horrible, I struggled with even the carting at the start and just gave up with the game in the end because it was pretty boring lol

I was disappointed with the selection of cars in the first one as well but looking at the list in this one shows they have dramatically changed that.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/heres-the-full-car-list-for-project-cars-2/

If the reviews on career mode are any good I might get this instead of Forza.

Coopz, i played it with a controller and i only had problems with karting, all the other cars were pretty playable with a controller...

Coopz, i played it with a controller and i only had problems with karting, all the other cars were pretty playable with a controller...

I think that was the case with me as well tbh. I still ended up looking for some settings controller settings online as I had to do with Dirt Rally as well because it still didn't feel quite right.

Back when this came out on the Xbox One Forza was a million times better so just stuck with that.

Hopefully this year is different and they bring out a game to match Forza.

Oh yeah and ill be getting it on the PC as well so the cars that are missing I can download :)

I think that was the case with me as well tbh. I still ended up looking for some settings controller settings online as I had to do with Dirt Rally as well because it still didn't feel quite right.

Back when this came out on the Xbox One Forza was a million times better so just stuck with that.

Hopefully this year is different and they bring out a game to match Forza.

Oh yeah and ill be getting it on the PC as well so the cars that are missing I can download :)

seems like the controller settings are much better this time around

Last edited:
I've just read that review and it makes me want the game now lol

I didn't realise it had pitstops and this makes it sound amazing

As you race the weather directly impacts you and the track. While other games have had this, I’ve never seen it in as much detail. For example, I was racing in Belgium when it started lightly snowing. This snow quickly made the track even more difficult to handle, necessitating a pit stop. What I liked was that the snow was setting in places, but turning into slush in others, pools of water forming at the edges of the track. The way that each race develops and actually changes is something rarely encountered in a game and never in as much detail as here.

Check out this EA bs. This is from the PC CEO.

For those who can't listen:

We made a game called Need for Speed: Shift, we made a game called Shift 2 and EA came to me and said "We’ll give you 1.5 million if you agree not to talk to any other publisher, to agree any other games or work on any other arrangement with any other publisher. And we’ll give you 1.5 million and we’ll sign Shift 3". So I said OK. That sounds like a good deal. I took the 1.5 million, I paid the guys, lots of bonuses, and two weeks before we were due to start Shift 3 it was cancelled. With no warning. They said "We are not doing that anymore.”

“We were in trouble, we had nothing left. We were done. They literally destroyed our company. They tried to kill us, they tried to steal our technology as well. They tried to f*ck us over, there is no other way to put it. That’s what they tried to do. And we have no love for EA and this company. They're assholes and corporate monsters.”

More from a member of NeoGAF (in this thread):

A few minutes after that in the video, he talks about his savagery towards EA, and gives details on how they "tried" to steal their tech. This is the summary though.

The company knew the deal with EA was shady, and there were signs before they signed. However, they desperately needed to sign a deal, so had to move forwards. In the contract EA wanted them to sign, there was a clause that EA would get to keep all of the tech from the project, with the exception of third-party technology (which makes sense -- obviously EA wouldn't ever expect to own FMOD through this company).

Before the contract was signed though, they created a new company called Middleware Limited, transferred all of their tech to be under that company, and then licensed it from that company and EA had no idea. They then signed the contract. EA later tried to get the tech, but the CEO was able to give them the finger saying it was licensed from a third-party and they couldn't have it.

PC1 was pretty bad for me, especially the single player career mode for 3 reasons:

1. Bad AI. As far as the AI was concerned, your car did not exist. They follow their line, and if you're in the way, whether it's a corner or even a straight, tough luck -> restart.

2. Scripted weather. So it suddenly starts to rain, and you all have to change tires, sounds exciting. Maybe you will gain some places or lose some. But then you realise it's scripted, it will always rain at the same specific races and on the same lap, and once you learn that....what's the point. There were also many bugs with all the compounds.

3. AI opponent talent is random! You can win a championship by comfortably finishing consistently in the top 6 or 10 or something. Lady luck decided that you're battling it out with Ayrton Senna for the championship lead with 1 race left? Oh the climax! Yeah for some reason he's now the slowest and happy to finish last.

I'll be interested to hear if those 3 things have improved. 2+3 in particular were incredibly stupid design decisions, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's the same case in the sequel :)

Last edited:
PC1 was pretty bad for me, especially the single player career mode for 3 reasons:

1. Bad AI. As far as the AI was concerned, your car did not exist. They follow their line, and if you're in the way, whether it's a corner or even a straight, tough luck -> restart.

2. Scripted weather. So it suddenly starts to rain, and you all have to change tires, sounds exciting. Maybe you will gain some places or lose some. But then you realise it's scripted, it will always rain at the same specific races and on the same lap, and once you learn that....what's the point. There were also many bugs with all the compounds.

3. AI opponent talent is random! You can win a championship by comfortably finishing consistently in the top 6 or 10 or something. Lady luck decided that you're battling it out with Ayrton Senna for the championship lead with 1 race left? Oh the climax! Yeah for some reason he's now the slowest and happy to finish last.

I'll be interested to hear if those 3 things have improved. 2+3 in particular were incredibly stupid design decisions, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's the same case in the sequel :)

3 never happened to me, never.

3 never happened to me, never.

That was the case though, and Ian Bell himself even gave away the reason on the official forums. The AI drivers were named after people who funded the game, and they didn't want some of them to appear faster than others in game, so it was decided that their performance would be random every race.

I've played only a few races so far but I think the AI is better in terms of awareness now, although I think it may vary from track to track and car to car. They're also now affected more by going off track, losing traction, where on PCars1, they could drive on grass and get the same traction as on tarmac, whereas as you could not. So I think the AI is definitely an improvement. I've also seen them crash a bit and lose grip on cold tyres, and it's always good to see a vulnerable AI. You can also set their aggressiveness now, so I've had far less ramming off from behind, although it still happens.

But I fear that your point 3 may still be the case. The strength of the AI varies from track to track, so if you say set them at 90% for one track, you might find they are the perfect level of competitiveness for you, but on another car/track combo at 90%, they're either way too fast or too slow. It makes single-player career mode pretty empty. And I don't see any way to edit the AI drivers to change their names or attributes, so I suspect once again, they are basically a bunch of randoms with unknown and random individual strengths and weaknesses. I haven't tried career mode yet in PCars2 but I fear single player careers will be rendered pretty much meaningless because like you said about PCars 1, you can't build up a rivarly over a season with certain AI drivers if their ability randomises from one race to the next. As someone who plays offline only and want a career mode, this is a bit of a killer for me.

Also, some tracks can only have limited numbers of AI cars - eg. they've added Knockhill now, but it can have only 12 cars there for some reason. So if you want to play as close as possible to the BTCC season, you can have 32 cars at say Silverstone and Snetterton, but then only 12 at Knockhill. Again, kills this the idea of a racing season stone dead. Of course, you cannot create custom off-line seasons anyway, so all in all, the career mode for me is pretty much worthless.

It's also kinda buggy, I've already had 3 crashes to desktop (this is on PS4) - I can't recall any other console game crashing on me at all, this has crashed 3 times on day 1. Also, gear changes are occasionally a bit hit and miss - it sometimes skips two or three gears (someone else reported this too, so it's not just my controller playing up). Braking is also odd, seem to lock up too much (or at least get the skid sound as if locked) - even tried it with braking assist on and it's still seems to make the skidding sound often. There are a few other glitches which might have been me doing things wrong, but I suspect it's just bugs in the game.

It's great to have proper attempts at sim racers on console, with may great features, good range of cars, tracks and styles of racing, amazing dynamic weather, etc, but after the shortcomings of PCars 1 career mode, this mode still looks to be unsatisfactory in PCars 2. For me, it already looks like it's basically going to be a series of single, stand-alone races against the AI (a bit like exhibition matches in FIFA/PES), which will, as it did in PCars 1, soon become boring and therefore, to use the word that was used in an earlier post - a bit soulless.

I've played only a few races so far but I think the AI is better in terms of awareness now, although I think it may vary from track to track and car to car. They're also now affected more by going off track, losing traction, where on PCars1, they could drive on grass and get the same traction as on tarmac, whereas as you could not. So I think the AI is definitely an improvement. I've also seen them crash a bit and lose grip on cold tyres, and it's always good to see a vulnerable AI. You can also set their aggressiveness now, so I've had far less ramming off from behind, although it still happens.

But I fear that your point 3 may still be the case. The strength of the AI varies from track to track, so if you say set them at 90% for one track, you might find they are the perfect level of competitiveness for you, but on another car/track combo at 90%, they're either way too fast or too slow. It makes single-player career mode pretty empty. And I don't see any way to edit the AI drivers to change their names or attributes, so I suspect once again, they are basically a bunch of randoms with unknown and random individual strengths and weaknesses. I haven't tried career mode yet in PCars2 but I fear single player careers will be rendered pretty much meaningless because like you said about PCars 1, you can't build up a rivarly over a season with certain AI drivers if their ability randomises from one race to the next. As someone who plays offline only and want a career mode, this is a bit of a killer for me.

Also, some tracks can only have limited numbers of AI cars - eg. they've added Knockhill now, but it can have only 12 cars there for some reason. So if you want to play as close as possible to the BTCC season, you can have 32 cars at say Silverstone and Snetterton, but then only 12 at Knockhill. Again, kills this the idea of a racing season stone dead. Of course, you cannot create custom off-line seasons anyway, so all in all, the career mode for me is pretty much worthless.

It's also kinda buggy, I've already had 3 crashes to desktop (this is on PS4) - I can't recall any other console game crashing on me at all, this has crashed 3 times on day 1. Also, gear changes are occasionally a bit hit and miss - it sometimes skips two or three gears (someone else reported this too, so it's not just my controller playing up). Braking is also odd, seem to lock up too much (or at least get the skid sound as if locked) - even tried it with braking assist on and it's still seems to make the skidding sound often. There are a few other glitches which might have been me doing things wrong, but I suspect it's just bugs in the game.

It's great to have proper attempts at sim racers on console, with may great features, good range of cars, tracks and styles of racing, amazing dynamic weather, etc, but after the shortcomings of PCars 1 career mode, this mode still looks to be unsatisfactory in PCars 2. For me, it already looks like it's basically going to be a series of single, stand-alone races against the AI (a bit like exhibition matches in FIFA/PES), which will, as it did in PCars 1, soon become boring and therefore, to use the word that was used in an earlier post - a bit soulless.

i think you need to change the break setting from the default value of 35 to 50 to balance it out

Thanks winston, that's the kind of info that's really usefull. As I also use all the other sims available on a PC it sounds like I'll pass this time. The graphics, vr and the weather system look awesome, but if the racing is not up to par, then it's hard for me to give it another chance. Cheers.

The AI in this is shocking! (Picked this up yesterday btw lol). Plus on PS4 Thrustmaster Wheels are borked and don’t work very well in this game. Definitely the game because F1 2017 feels great with my T300 RS.

Back
Top Bottom