The "REAL" gameplay problem

chris31k

Non-League
25 December 2010
After playing a bunch of matches with modded dt18 i think i got something and i want to share it.

We had all seen a lot of ridiculous low crosses from the AI ending up in the feet of an unmarked striker in he box.
We had also seen tons of one-twos between the AI winger and wingback ending up in a lofted trough ball unanticipated by our wingback and uncovered by our center back.
We had all seen a striker receiving the ball in his feet without pressure at all.
We had all seen an unrealistic total of passes from the AI in 1 game, like the AI always managed to find a good pass. And never dribble because theres always a free player to pass the ball

I think the cause, the root of all our gameplay problems is the marking system.

Why do you think the AI is obsessed with low cross ? It is clever actually because marking is way to loose, so why it would try a difficult one on one dribbling, crossing or whatsoever when you can just pass the ball to your striker in the box so easily ? AI knows the failure and try constantly to use it. Its the same for the dribbling problem. Why dribbling if theres always a player unmarked, ready to receive the ball ?

To me in a good football game the positioning should follow some rules :
1st rule :
A pitch divided in 3 tiers :
in the first third (AI side):70% of the positioning should be regarding to formation and 30% regarding to opponent positioning.
In the second third 50%-50%
In the last third (player side): 70% regarding to opponents and 30% to formation.
2nd rule : when there's a player in the space between the central defenders and the defensive midfielders (essentially the strikers) he is immediately tightly marked and always followed. Wherever he is on the pitch if he's close to the centerbacks he is immediately marked.
3rd rule : the wingback set the tightness of their marking regarding to the positioning of the ball on the width of the pitch. The left back mark tightly the winger when the ball is on the left side of the pitch. When the ball move to the right side he moves on the inside closely to the centerbacks. Letting 10-15 meters top between him and the winger. Even if the winger drop deep to help his midfield or wingback for example the wingback get a little further of the pitch to avoid letting too much space to the winger.

And they're also a second problem : the tackling system
How many times do you see IRL a player winning the ball in the feet of another player, especially without diving ? Think about the UCL finals for example, big matches, top players.
Teams managed to get the ball back by making the opponent miss a pass but not by tackling. Irl you see very few diving tackles. When theres one a foul is called very often.
Its very hard to win the ball in the feet of a top team player. Again its the positioning which allows the turnovers, not the tackle. But in Pes theyre is no reliable marking system. You just cant close all the spaces and wait for the opponent to miss a pass or a dribble, like irl.

Again the marking system makes the whole defensive system broken. Tackle are overpowered and winning the ball in the feet of the opponent is way to easy.

In conclusion i would say that the low cross problem, the dribbling problem, the "too much passes from the AI" problem, the defensive problem, the overpowered tackling sytem they all come from the broken marking system.

Wish someone can hear me at konami! Or that jenkey can do something :)

Let me know what you all think about that

The problem is the gameplay is not finished.

The core problem i think is the AI with all the lovely new physics are having issues taking advantage of free spaces to run into on the higher levels and the low cross is a cheap programming placeholder simply to add difficulty to the game. Every team does it and it really don't matter how good the team is, they all low cross then flick with perfection to that first time shot which is usually an automatic goal! Nothing to do with marking at all since if you give them any space to cross you really cant defend against that perfect flick to the first time shot goal. If you don't stop the cross your fucked basically.

Last year the AI where hard to play against becuase they would especially with talented players just skin you with skill moves when you tired to tackle them and also give them any space or any 1 on 1 they would usually be clinical. Now there are numerous examples of the AI running to the wings when they have space to run in 1 on 1, they cannot seem to get their bearings correct. This is why the demo was 5 minutes only because of this problem, Konami wanted to hide just how bad it was.

The vastly improved physics have created this balance issue which Konami have not finished fixing yet, will they fix it? I'm 100% sure they will because last years game was literally unplayable on release but after patches was a good game. Just a shame everything is about online these days.

Konami rushed this out the door to beat FIFA to the sales floor and get in the money for MyClub online, so offline while the gameplay has serious potential to be one of the best football games ever is right now, unfinished.

To me in a good football game the positioning should follow some rules :
1st rule :
A pitch divided in 3 tiers :
in the first third (AI side):70% of the positioning should be regarding to formation and 30% regarding to opponent positioning.
In the second third 50%-50%
In the last third (player side): 70% regarding to opponents and 30% to formation.
2nd rule : when there's a player in the space between the central defenders and the defensive midfielders (essentially the strikers) he is immediately tightly marked and always followed. Wherever he is on the pitch if he's close to the centerbacks he is immediately marked.
3rd rule : the wingback set the tightness of their marking regarding to the positioning of the ball on the width of the pitch. The left back mark tightly the winger when the ball is on the left side of the pitch. When the ball move to the right side he moves on the inside closely to the centerbacks. Letting 10-15 meters top between him and the winger. Even if the winger drop deep to help his midfield or wingback for example the wingback get a little further of the pitch to avoid letting too much space to the winger.

Formations and positions not represented properly are also part of the positioning problem.

4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 which are the two most used formations are poorly represented and simply do not behave as in real life. All positions need to be reworked, but especially WGF, SMF, SB and CF.

Back
Top Bottom