The referee thread: discuss referees and their decisions

Thank f*ck we won that match. When Niall Quinn admits the ref has gotten a decision wrong in City's favour, you might as well call it gospel.

What is Oliver thinking there? Demechelis didn't touch him? Got the ball? Neither of those are possible, so I guess he's just too afraid to anger the crowd? He's less than 10 feet away?!

It's just the inconsistency again. Smalling's challenge in the 2nd half was more a yellow than any you've seen all season, yet no red? Mike Dean would have sent him off 3 times.

How are players supposed to legislate for match officials that practically treat each match like a different sport?

Ref today in the BVB v Liverpool game was borderline. Basicly every little thing of Dortmund was called, while Liverpool was able to make Weidenfeller bleed and jump into Pulisic like a maniac without just getting a yellow. And those were just the hardest ones. Usually like this guy a lot (forgot his name, he's a Spanish ref), but today he was not having a good day.

Foul on Pulisic should have been a yellow or perhaps even a red. No foul on Weidenfeller for me, the ball was still playable.
I don't think the ref was too bad.

Imo Dortmund were below par because Liverpool were very good. Bvb couldn't have lost the match were it not for some splendid saved by Weidenfeller.

Not disagreeing on BVB's form, that was a bad game by them and I didn't mean to blame the ref for that. But still he could have followed a clearer line.

I see Moreno's challenge not getting booked, and it just blows my mind. That was almost definition red - off the ground out of control leg breaker. I think if that's Barcelona, he definitely gets a red because the opponent is still rolling on the g round now, several days later. But being American, I guess Pulisic has yet to learn how to succeed in European football.

It's boring cause I have to repeat it so often, but the inconsistency must just do players' heads in. One week they have a ref who sends a player off in 20 minutes for 2 soft fouls (looking at you Mike Dean!) then the next week a ref is perfectly happy to let play go unless someone's leg falls off.

I think I've discovered a new position: the ref scout. Might make more difference to results than any other coaching position!

I see Moreno's challenge not getting booked, and it just blows my mind. That was almost definition red - off the ground out of control leg breaker. I think if that's Barcelona, he definitely gets a red because the opponent is still rolling on the g round now, several days later. But being American, I guess Pulisic has yet to learn how to succeed in European football.

Thought precisely the same. If he falls in that situation that is almost a guaranteed send off. Those are the bad moments when honesty is not valued anymore at that level...

Yes, Cakir, did quite well (Was Cakir the man who sent off Nani?).

Yep, hence Goto's comment, I'm quite sure.

He was fine last night. But he'll never live down that ludicrous decision (was mentioned in commentary last night too) and rightly so. I still have no idea what he was thinking. (unless it was about the Madrid bonus he'd receive shortly)

As I said at the time, when Sergio Ramos looks surprised at a decision going his way, you know you've done something unexpected.

article-2289463-187653B8000005DC-329_634x457.jpg

https://youtu.be/t7nnTv9FnY8?t=8s
If that wasn't dangerous play I dunno what is. Nani fakes being hurt because he knows he's in trouble. Dunno why some Utd fans make such a big deal over it ...well, they lost, that's why

You can argue he wasn't looking for the man, but nevertheless this is as red as it can be. And Ferdinand's reaction is also worthy of a card.

If raising your foot to control a ball above your waist is considered dangerous play, where are the dozen or so red cards a match?

It's a ridiculous call because - as every pro who spoke about it said - Nani had no idea the defender was even there. From the replay you can see that at no point until the contact could Nani even SEE the defender coming, because he's watching the ball. His foot is high - but not excessively, it's miles from head height - because he's trying to bring the ball down.

The laws can't have it both ways. If you argue that raising your foot to that height regardless of intent or knowledge of risk is a red card, than no player can ever raise his foot that high, ever. Which doesn't work as a sport. Further, the precedent is already there - if a player attempts a bicycle kick he routinely gets a foul given against him and very rarely a yellow card. Never a f*cking red card. Benteke's forgotten goal of the season for LFC against United was more dangerous by this logic - if Herrera doesn't duck out of the challenge, he could have died!

Anyway, water under the bridge and so forth. But there's a reason that every United fan remembers that ref, and that decision. And we've had many, many red cards in our years in the CL that we've forgotten, and many matches we've lost. I've never been as baffled by how unnecessary a match-changing decision was as that moment.

I'm not sure what i thought about it at the time, but now i'm inclined to say that this was a dark yellow, maybe not a red card. I don't think Nani has the intention to go for the man...

But is this a referee howler? No, this is a 50/50 decision.

This remembers me of a Van Persie red card when he played for Arsenal against Barcelone (could have been a second yellow too). I remember the fuss about that one, at the time i agreed with the ref.

Where people are wrong (and i've been wrong too) is that this are match deciders. I don't agree with that. Often red cards kill the spectacle (like Torres' red card against Barcelone), but do they decide matches? Rarely to be honest...

I actually think the RVP Barca one is even worse. There was just no reason to send him off there, from a common sense, footballing reality point of view.

I know better than most how hard refereeing is (dad was a FIFA ref) but he always maintained that adhering to the spirit of the law is more important than the law itself - and there are so many cases where refs just seem to make crazy decisions for no decent reason.

Totally disagree on the match deciders. Red cards and penalties very much decide matches, just check the stats. We had 2 straight years of going from winning positions in the CL knockouts to losing mere minutes after going down to 10 men. It's one of the reasons red cards and penalties really need revisiting given how quickly they're dolled out these days.

If raising your foot to control a ball above your waist is considered dangerous play, where are the dozen or so red cards a match?

It's a ridiculous call because - as every pro who spoke about it said - Nani had no idea the defender was even there. From the replay you can see that at no point until the contact could Nani even SEE the defender coming, because he's watching the ball. His foot is high - but not excessively, it's miles from head height - because he's trying to bring the ball down.

As I said before I agree on the point that Nani didn't do it on purpose and didn't know he was there. Still the rule is that endangering another player's health (no matter if on purpose or not) is to be sanctioned with a red card. Even if that tends to completely change games at times, where I agree with you again.

But what I also have to reckon is the fact that there is maybe a difference in mentality in between how decisions are seen in different countries. I guess you are getting send off for fouls way easier in Germany than the UK f.e.. I sometimes am baffled how much more intense football is played/worked over there.

Hopefully Leicester still win the title, but if Spurs end up losing by 1 point, will anyone ask how Oliver today saw the Depay foul outside the box? The entire foul happened inside the box, and he clearly saw it as he sent off Drinkwater.

Just bad positioning? Or unwilling to give a potentially crucial penalty when it's so easy these days to err on the side of caution?

Also, gripe I've had all season: the time between the foul and the subsequent free kick (which included a slooowww sub from Leicester) was almost 3.5 minutes.

How much TOTAL time added at the end? 4 minutes.

Spurs got quite a few crappy decisions in our games so don't think they can complain too much. With that said, Leicester got away with a pen on Kun at the King Power.

Fellaini's last game for Utd today? surely gonna get a ban. One of these days that thug is gonna leave someone like Gary Mabbutt

Spurs got quite a few crappy decisions in our games so don't think they can complain too much. With that said, Leicester got away with a pen on Kun at the King Power.

Fellaini's last game for Utd today? surely gonna get a ban. One of these days that thug is gonna leave someone like Gary Mabbutt

One can only hope.

Though there's suspiciously little comment about 'brave' Robert Huth pulling his hair? Apparently that's manly or something.

Huth is a thug too with a history of elbowing. The hair pulling is naughty/cheaty/unsporting/funny tho more than violent or dangerous.

Fellaini should get a 24 game ban to make up for all the elbows he's gotten away with

Did Clattenburg do something wrong in the Chelsea-Spurs match?
I don't have that feeling.

Is it possible to prevent something like that ? Are there referees in here who can answer that question.

I haven't the feeling he did much wrong...perhaps sending offs would have made it worse...i expect some post match bans for Dembele and Lamela...

Did Clattenburg do something wrong in the Chelsea-Spurs match?
I don't have that feeling.

Is it possible to prevent something like that ? Are there referees in here who can answer that question.

I haven't the feeling he did much wrong...perhaps sending offs would have made it worse...i expect some post match bans for Dembele and Lamela...

For me it's just hard as a United fan...Mike Dean sent off Mata for something that wouldn't even have been called up by Clattenberg yesterday, the way he handled Spurs Chelsea. And to be honest, I saw Dean this weekend and he was letting everything go and the match flow happily. It's just so incredibly inconsistent, like they're using different rule books depending on their mood.

I like Clattenberg and that he didn't send anyone off - but really all refs need to be like that, rather than some incredibly fussy and to the letter and others being moderate.

Back
Top Bottom