The Retro-PES Corner

@WhoAteMeDinner :LOL: Well only on a technicality, it is a ridiculous figure but I mean they are fairly frugal compared to some of the transfer fees these days and bearing in mind that was their record transfer fee. When you consider some of the crazy one's like Coutinho (how's that working out?) for 114m or whatever it was, Pogba for 90m, the Chelsea keeper for 70 or 80m wasn't it.

@WhoAteMeDinner :LOL: Well only on a technicality, it is a ridiculous figure but I mean they are fairly frugal compared to some of the transfer fees these days and bearing in mind that was their record transfer fee. When you consider some of the crazy one's like Coutinho (how's that working out?) for 114m or whatever it was, Pogba for 90m, the Chelsea keeper for 70 or 80m wasn't it.
Heard rumours on Coutinho to Wigan next year.
As "warm" on Liverpool his development has been fantastic
Seems like a bag of you know what

A Test League

@miguelfcp & I have what we think is quite an exciting idea for a 'Manager' League, one which will continue over the seasons and hopefully if enough are interested have a couple of smallish divisions with Promotion/Relegation, but we're still working on it and fine tuning various ideas/rules etc. So, in the mean time what we'd like to do is a set up a small league as a sort of tester for us and as a bit of fun as well.

The tester League will just be a one off season with up to 8 players but if we have more, which would be great, then we'll just split it into two leagues just simply so that we can get through it quite quickly as it's just a test like I said. As the Youth League file is nearly ready we'll use that using the Club sides. We plan to start it after this World Youth Cup is over so if you are interested just re post and add your name to this list. There's a list of potential teams below (just a selection of the best teams in the file). Pick whichever one you want that has not been claimed yet. If by chance two people happen to pick the same team by posting really close to one another then we'll have to go with whichever post was first will get the priority.

What does it entail for you? For this test league, as your squad will be there already, the first match of the season will entail you setting your line-up and any tactical changes you wish - formation/strategies/kick takers and so on. Future matches will be entirely up to you, you might be happy to keep it as it is from the last game, you might want to change a couple of players or you might want to make wholesale changes, it's entirely up to you as long as you let us know what, if anything, you want to change.

Initially we're thinking that we'll play out the games over a Fri-Sun period, so you'll have from the following Monday until Thursday evening to get any info on changes to us. We'll provide match reports/highlights (probably brief highlights for this test league unless there's a key game). We'll run the league with accumulated fatigue off for two reasons - 1, these Odyssey files have lowish stamina set anyway to allow the stamina to better effect each match and 2, being as the league will be multiplayer there's no way to look at your team until the match screen so we can't take a picture of your team's fatigue beforehand. Depending on how many managers we get we might do a cup alongside it.

What would help as well would be if you could all set your teams over the next couple of weeks so that once the World Youth Cup is done we'll be ready to crack on with this league. I'll forward you the latest OF once you've confirmed.

League Format : Manager's list
@mattmid Lyon
@miguelfcp Porto

Just post the above list and add you name and selected team to the bottom. Please add the team list at the bottom of the post and remove the team you picked from it to help keep it up to date. So, anyone reading this check the latest list before picking your team in case it's already gone.

AC Milan
Ajax
Anderlecht
Arsenal
Atalanta
Atl Madrid
AZ
Barcelona
Basel
Bayern Munich
Benfica
Braga
Chelsea
Dinam Zagreb
Dortmund
FC Copenhagen
Feyernoord
Flamengo
Genk
Inter
Juventus
Lech Poznan
Lechia Gdansk
Legia Warsaw
Leipzig
Lille
Liverpool
Ludogorets
Malmo
Man City
Man Utd
Marseille
Midtjylland
Monaco
Olympiakos
Palmeiras
Panathinaikos
Partizan
PSG
PSV
Real Madrid
Red Star
Sao Paulo
Sporting
Standard
Torino
Tottenham
Valencia
Vitesse

Yep well certainly the Pogba, Neymar and Coutinho transfers were madness. As you know @mattmid , matters mate, the Dinner sees technicalities or technique as the key stat to sign a player.

And so he wonders how much the imperious and technically amazing Arellano of PES 2 and PES 3 would sell for in this bonkers transfer market ?

Answer: Zero, the Dinner would never sell his midfield maestro in a million ML seasons.

BTW everyone, has anybody else any memory of playing with or against Arellano ?

@WhoAteMeDinner Totally agree which was why I loved watching Prosinecki. A memory that will stay with me forever and I feel honoured to have seen him play regularly for a season. I can't even begin to think how good he was in his peak to have seen live. Which is why, as well we are doing at the moment, we are a bit too hoofball for my liking.

Heard rumours on Coutinho to Wigan next year.
As "warm" on Liverpool his development has been fantastic
Seems like a bag of you know what

@rockstrongo , well Rocko, if Coutinho went back to Liverpool or to Wigan for say sixty million.
That would still be less catastrophic than what Paul Pogba has done to Man Utd. And he could still go back to the Bianconeri this summer for a minimal fee, watch this space.

:BLINK::BLINK::BLINK:

@mattmid Lyon
@miguelfcp Porto
@sniglet Dinamo Zagreb

AC Milan
Ajax
Anderlecht
Arsenal
Atalanta
Atl Madrid
AZ
Barcelona
Basel
Bayern Munich
Benfica
Braga
Chelsea
Dortmund
FC Copenhagen
Feyernoord
Flamengo
Genk
Inter
Juventus
Lech Poznan
Lechia Gdansk
Legia Warsaw
Leipzig
Lille
Liverpool
Ludogorets
Malmo
Man City
Man Utd
Marseille
Midtjylland
Monaco
Olympiakos
Palmeiras
Panathinaikos
Partizan
PSG
PSV
Real Madrid
Red Star
Sao Paulo
Sporting
Standard
Torino
Tottenham
Valencia
Vitesse

Getting in there early!

A Test League

@miguelfcp & I have what we think is quite an exciting idea for a 'Manager' League, one which will continue over the seasons and hopefully if enough are interested have a couple of smallish divisions with Promotion/Relegation, but we're still working on it and fine tuning various ideas/rules etc. So, in the mean time what we'd like to do is a set up a small league as a sort of tester for us and as a bit of fun as well.

The tester League will just be a one off season with up to 8 players but if we have more, which would be great, then we'll just split it into two leagues just simply so that we can get through it quite quickly as it's just a test like I said. As the Youth League file is nearly ready we'll use that using the Club sides. We plan to start it after this World Youth Cup is over so if you are interested just re post and add your name to this list. There's a list of potential teams below (just a selection of the best teams in the file). Pick whichever one you want that has not been claimed yet. If by chance two people happen to pick the same team by posting really close to one another then we'll have to go with whichever post was first will get the priority.

What does it entail for you? For this test league, as your squad will be there already, the first match of the season will entail you setting your line-up and any tactical changes you wish - formation/strategies/kick takers and so on. Future matches will be entirely up to you, you might be happy to keep it as it is from the last game, you might want to change a couple of players or you might want to make wholesale changes, it's entirely up to you as long as you let us know what, if anything, you want to change.

Initially we're thinking that we'll play out the games over a Fri-Sun period, so you'll have from the following Monday until Thursday evening to get any info on changes to us. We'll provide match reports/highlights (probably brief highlights for this test league unless there's a key game). We'll run the league with accumulated fatigue off for two reasons - 1, these Odyssey files have lowish stamina set anyway to allow the stamina to better effect each match and 2, being as the league will be multiplayer there's no way to look at your team until the match screen so we can't take a picture of your team's fatigue beforehand. Depending on how many managers we get we might do a cup alongside it.

What would help as well would be if you could all set your teams over the next couple of weeks so that once the World Youth Cup is done we'll be ready to crack on with this league. I'll forward you the latest OF once you've confirmed.

@mattmid Lyon
@miguelfcp Porto

Just post the above list and add you name and selected team to the bottom. Please add the team list at the bottom of the post and remove the team you picked from it to help keep it up to date. So, anyone reading this check the latest list before picking your team in case it's already gone.

AC Milan
Ajax
Anderlecht
Arsenal
Atalanta
Atl Madrid
AZ
Barcelona
Basel
Bayern Munich
Benfica
Braga
Chelsea
Dinam Zagreb
Dortmund
FC Copenhagen
Feyernoord
Flamengo
Genk
Inter
Juventus
Lech Poznan
Lechia Gdansk
Legia Warsaw
Leipzig
Lille
Liverpool
Ludogorets
Malmo
Man City
Man Utd
Marseille
Midtjylland
Monaco
Olympiakos
Palmeiras
Panathinaikos
Partizan
PSG
PSV
Real Madrid
Red Star
Sao Paulo
Sporting
Standard
Torino
Tottenham
Valencia
Vitesse

Intriguing. I'll probably get involved but TBC. Interesting concept, reminds me of Mystify Soccer (https://www.mystify.co.uk/) but... PES.

Yep well certainly the Pogba, Neymar and Coutinho transfers were madness. As you know @mattmid , matters mate, the Dinner sees technicalities or technique as the key stat to sign a player.

And so he wonders how much the imperious and technically amazing Arellano of PES 2 and PES 3 would sell for in this bonkers transfer market ?

Answer: Zero, the Dinner would never sell his midfield maestro in a million ML seasons.

BTW everyone, has anybody else any memory of playing with or against Arellano ?

Remember him from PES2. Winger/attacking midfielder, rapid, Mexican?

Intriguing. I'll probably get involved but TBC. Interesting concept, reminds me of Mystify Soccer (https://www.mystify.co.uk/) but... PES.

Remember him from PES2. Winger/attacking midfielder, rapid, Mexican?

@Flipper the Priest , yep, spot on Flipper. Mexican AMF but like all technically brilliant PES golden age players, could play on the wing or as an SS forward too.
His stats in PES 2 were adjusted down in PES 3, as with many players but he was still incredible on the ball.

Hardly any yellow or orange coloured stat numbers, just so consistent stats in the seventies low eighties.

He was my Minanda for years and years, you may have guessed by my affection.

:LOVE::LOVE::LOVE:

Great, hope you do. I've never seen that site before, looks a good one. Yes, the old play by mail/email football was kind of the inspiration behind the League idea we're working on. Got some neat ideas (I hope) on an evolving league and player system that we're ironing out and this short test league will give us a chance to test it behind the scenes while having a bit of fun at the same time with a one off season.

@mattmid Lyon
@miguelfcp Porto
@sniglet Dinamo Zagreb

Getting in there early!

:) Marin's the boy. ;)

@rockstrongo , well Rocko, if Coutinho went back to Liverpool or to Wigan for say sixty million.
That would still be less catastrophic than what Paul Pogba has done to Man Utd. And he could still go back to the Bianconeri this summer for a minimal fee, watch this space.

:BLINK::BLINK::BLINK:
Pogba was a horrible fit for Utd,especially with Mourinho at the.
Still believe he's a really good player,Coutinho was a C *** the last 6-7 months at Liverpool,whiny little shit trying to sim injuries etc.

Wow, what an intense match between Poland and Spain.

Like @miguelfcp said in another post, it's quite ironic that we are learning all about these youth players in a retro PES game. It really feels like I am watching a real world cup unfold. Excited for the other matches!

Great, Tottenham it is. :)

Yeah that really is quite an irony! It is amazing how stories are unfolding. Players like Kochalski whose stats are nothing special, pulling off four saves in the penalty shoot out to get his team through. Cuypers with a hat-trick and so on.

@rockstrongo Much like Sanchez was as well. I'm convinced Mourinho only got him so Guardiola couldn't. I wonder if Coutinho is one of those players who is better when he's the big fish in the pond.

@mattmid Lyon
@miguelfcp Porto
@sniglet Dinamo Zagreb
@Special4988 Tottenham
@jihado86 Bayern Munich

AC Milan
Ajax
Anderlecht
Arsenal
Atalanta
Atl Madrid
AZ
Barcelona
Basel
Benfica
Braga
Chelsea
Dortmund
FC Copenhagen
Feyernoord
Flamengo
Genk
Inter
Juventus
Lech Poznan
Lechia Gdansk
Legia Warsaw
Leipzig
Lille
Liverpool
Ludogorets
Malmo
Man City
Man Utd
Marseille
Midtjylland
Monaco
Olympiakos
Palmeiras
Panathinaikos
Partizan
PSG
PSV
Real Madrid
Red Star
Sao Paulo
Sporting
Standard
Torino
Valencia
Vitesse

Great, Tottenham it is. :)

Yeah that really is quite an irony! It is amazing how stories are unfolding. Players like Kochalski whose stats are nothing special, pulling off four saves in the penalty shoot out to get his team through. Cuypers with a hat-trick and so on.

@rockstrongo Much like Sanchez was as well. I'm convinced Mourinho only got him so Guardiola couldn't. I wonder if Coutinho is one of those players who is better when he's the big fish in the pond.
I'm pretty sure Coutinho needs to be the star,I remember him as outstanding in the PL,but he's had a few injuries since leaving (and before) Liverpool if I don't remember completely wrong.
Remember how lethal Torres was before knee injury?

@rockstrongo Yeah there's been a few players like that. I remember seeing Shearer play against us when he was about 22 or 23 at Blackburn before he got injured and he was on another level to every other player on the pitch. He was still good after his injury but had to change his style and never had that pace that he had then.

@rockstrongo Yeah there's been a few players like that. I remember seeing Shearer play against us when he was about 22 or 23 at Blackburn before he got injured and he was on another level to every other player on the pitch. He was still good after his injury but had to change his style and never had that pace that he had then.
God,Alan Shearer was so good!
One of my favourite players from that era,I sometimes load up a classic PL game from YouTube .
Good days mate

@mattmid Lyon
@miguelfcp Porto
@sniglet Dinamo Zagreb
@Special4988 Tottenham
@jihado86 Bayern Munich
@wildwind Atalanta

AC Milan
Ajax
Anderlecht
Arsenal
Atl Madrid
AZ
Barcelona
Basel
Benfica
Braga
Chelsea
Dortmund
FC Copenhagen
Feyernoord
Flamengo
Genk
Inter
Juventus
Lech Poznan
Lechia Gdansk
Legia Warsaw
Leipzig
Lille
Liverpool
Ludogorets
Malmo
Man City
Man Utd
Marseille
Midtjylland
Monaco
Olympiakos
Palmeiras
Panathinaikos
Partizan
PSG
PSV
Real Madrid
Red Star
Sao Paulo
Sporting
Standard
Torino
Valencia
Vitesse

@wildwind I didn't see that selection coming :) I thought for sure it would be Utd.

God,Alan Shearer was so good!
One of my favourite players from that era,I sometimes load up a classic PL game from YouTube .
Good days mate

Just found it on youtube! He missed an absolute sitter as well! I'd also forgotten all about the rebound off the hand. @WhoAteMeDinner will be pleased to see an Ireland hero scoring. One of our best players ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zzVkaQ-y_o

@wildwind I didn't see that selection coming :) I thought for sure it would be Utd.

Just found it on youtube! He missed an absolute sitter as well! I'd also forgotten all about the rebound off the hand. @WhoAteMeDinner will be pleased to see an Ireland hero scoring. One of our best players ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zzVkaQ-y_o
Really bad miss there:)
Always loved Fratton park,without roof on the end terrace back then?

One of the selling points for me on FIFA 16 was Fratton park,don't think I'd get it otherwise.
Football was better back then,on old noisy grounds

@rockstrongo Yes the top tier was shut for safety reasons before that and then knocked down d before the new stand was built in it's place in about '98.
Lovely ground,still miss our noisy 14k capacity ground,we built an all purpose 30 k stadium back in 2013.
Miss it every day,it has allowed us to grow with almost 25k average,but I'd rather take the old ground back in a heartbeat

@WhoAteMeDinner: If Harty and Stein were available, we'd win this one for sure. As a wiseman once said, give me Stein and ten pieces of wood and I'll make sure the opponent forfeits the match after Stein injured every one of their players, therefore winning us the Champions League.

About your transfer market conversation guys, a few days after witnessing a team selling a player who has played only four months of professional football for 120M, nothing will surprise me anymore. If you told me Real Madrid had bought Marega for 240M, I'd just nod and smile now. At least the latter guy was one of the CL's top scorers last season, while Felix hasn't even played a single CL match yet...

I don't deny that the kid has the potential to become a superstar, but this hyper-inflation thing is getting ridiculous. What's next? A kid plays a couple of Europa League qualifiers, scores twice against the mighty FC Santa Coloma from Andorra and is sold for a quarter of a billion to Atletico?
Yeah...laugh now, cry later.

On a general PES Retro note, one of the reasons I don't like the new PES games is that the goals scored are "cold".
I don't know if you get what I'm saying, but the ball enters to the net as if it's a boring training session. Some effortless shot, plus a timid jump by the GK. And what makes it even worse, is players motions and movements, it became more like FIFA, players lack that intensity and speed while charging at defenders. Running and dribbling is also cold and training-look-alike.
While in retro PES games, the goals are earned, players burn their selves in order to score. Charging towards the goal is intense, explosive and determined. Running and dribbling is more realistic. That's what makes these games have a soul, a spirit, a character.

Back
Top Bottom