The Retro-PES Corner

Thankfully I never played the PC version. For me PES2008 is the best PS2 version of the game.

I rinsed the socks off of PES5 for many years. Tried to get into PES6 but found it easier with shooting overpowered.

I believe that if PES2008 was the same version on the PC as the PS2, it would have easily overshadowed PES5 and 6.

PES 2008 (PS2) is indeed a great game. Not quite PES5 level of greatness but great.

I picked up PES 2011 (PS2) recently. Had a few games, as I'm still engrossed in PES5, but it looks good and plays rather well. The passing in looser and even the goal nets are different. Anyone played it?

PES 2008 (PS2) is indeed a great game. Not quite PES5 level of greatness but great.

I picked up PES 2011 (PS2) recently. Had a few games, as I'm still engrossed in PES5, but it looks good and plays rather well. The passing in looser and even the goal nets are different. Anyone played it?
I have played all from 08 to 14.

Yes i agree that PES5 is great but the only thing letting it down is the CPU attack. I managed to get another 5 or more years out of it with global stat adjustments but after playing it for about 10 years it lost it’s difficulty level against the CPU.

For me, anything after PES2008 the CPU just dribbles straight and increasing difficulty just makes it harder to dispossess the CPU rather than make it play better. For example, you slide tackle the ball but the attacker (who just got dispossessed) is quicker to the loose ball most of the time.

2008 gets the balance just right. Excellent attacking from the CPU. And transfers in ML unlike PES5. ;)

Yes i agree that PES5 is great but the only thing letting it down is the CPU attack. I managed to get another 5 or more years out of it with global stat adjustments but after playing it for about 10 years it lost it’s difficulty level against the CPU.

For me, anything after PES2008 the CPU just dribbles straight and increasing difficulty just makes it harder to dispossess the CPU rather than make it play better. For example, you slide tackle the ball but the attacker (who just got dispossessed) is quicker to the loose ball most of the time.

2008 gets the balance just right. Excellent attacking from the CPU. And transfers in ML unlike PES5. ;)
I would add, the only sweet spot of some next versions is thry added content fron the next gen, ie the CL official i think, and a slightly increase in ML teams.
But for example on 13 or 14, i tried once a BAL mode and the player camera was going around like crazy cause the gamespeed was more rushed, compared to previous ps2 games, that i got dizzy.

I would add, the only sweet spot of some next versions is thry added content fron the next gen, ie the CL official i think, and a slightly increase in ML teams.
But for example on 13 or 14, i tried once a BAL mode and the player camera was going around like crazy cause the gamespeed was more rushed, compared to previous ps2 games, that i got dizzy.

Yes i have to agree that the Champions League and Europa League licence is great. It really adds to the atmosphere. Like you said more teams in the divisions. Also it was good not being able to see all player stats until they were scouted.

Its just a shame that the game lacked fouls.

Episode 2 of my Euro 2008 series is up! :BOP:

It's time for match day 2 of Euro 2008. Including a can't miss - Must win encounter between France & The Netherlands, European Champions Greece clash with real winners Spain and the Derby between Germany & Poland!

Yay something nice to watch once Im home for a dinner!! PES and spaghetti go very well together :BOP:

World Youth League

Having a really busy week so I'm going to delay this week's fixtures until next week. Still send me your teams (+ 70 min instructions if you want them) though so I'll have it all ready to go. :)

Injuries:

Continuing..
Griffiths Lyon 1 week

New:
Menga Torino 1 week
Anaba Lyon 1 week
Le Gallo Marseille 11 weeks :OH: Who'd be Marseille's manager?

and @geeeeee Skipp, who got injured in week 3 is finally back available!

and amazingly only one of our 45 players got a second yellow

Tillman Bayern Munich.

Hi Matt, sorry i will send the team tomorrow.

Episode 2 of my Euro 2008 series is up! :BOP:

It's time for match day 2 of Euro 2008. Including a can't miss - Must win encounter between France & The Netherlands, European Champions Greece clash with real winners Spain and the Derby between Germany & Poland!

Good stuff.

You know, I said it before a few months back, but PES 2008 ("next gen" and PC) is actually a pretty fun game. Some people consider it one of the worst PES games of all time, but I think it's rather enjoyable.

Yay something nice to watch once Im home for a dinner!! PES and spaghetti go very well together :BOP:
Thanks, Hope you enjoyed it and didn't throw your plate at the TV haha

Good stuff.

You know, I said it before a few months back, but PES 2008 ("next gen" and PC) is actually a pretty fun game. Some people consider it one of the worst PES games of all time, but I think it's rather enjoyable.
Thanks, You're right. The whole point of me picking it for my series was to try to demonstrate that it's not as bad as people remember, That it's unfairly stigmatised and that it still has some of those PS2 PES sensibilities & magic under it's cantankerous exterior.

You play it long enough and like any Retro PES title, You very quickly adapt to it and forget you're playing an old game, All you're concerned with is that your just playing football.

Nice goal and a dramatic bit of defending there @geeeeee

PES 2008 still looks pretty good despite it being on a HDTV. What connection set up do you use and do you find it best to play in 50 or 60hz?

Nice goal and a dramatic bit of defending there @geeeeee

PES 2008 still looks pretty good despite it being on a HDTV. What connection set up do you use and do you find it best to play in 50 or 60hz?

Heh and also the recording is via a mobile phone.
Being honest i haven't got a clue what connection i use. All i know is that it is a cable from the ps2 with red, white, yellow pins connected to the tv. How would i find out?

Being honest i haven't got a clue what connection i use. All i know is that it is a cable from the ps2 with red, white, yellow pins connected to the tv. How would i find out?

That's just a standard composite cable. Looks good. I use a HDMI convertor thingy with also does a decent job. Gameplay over graphics for me!

The 50/60hz setting is available when you first fire the game up. I can't see much difference between the two but it must do something I guess. 50hz looks a tiny bit sharper which I'm not sure is the best for playing on modern TVs.

That's just a standard composite cable. Looks good. I use a HDMI convertor thingy with also does a decent job. Gameplay over graphics for me!

The 50/60hz setting is available when you first fire the game up. I can't see much difference between the two but it must do something I guess. 50hz looks a tiny bit sharper which I'm not sure is the best for playing on modern TVs.

I might try that then. Do i change the settings in game or when i fire the ps2 up?

You don't have a decent PC? Wouldn't it be easier to run PES 2008 thru PCSX2 on PC and upscale it's graphics to 4k and use recording software on PC for these videos?

I might try that then. Do i change the settings in game or when i fire the ps2 up?
When the game first starts up it gives you the option to start or test the 60hz setting. It's a minimal change to look at but I assume 60hz might allow for more animations.

You don't have a decent PC? Wouldn't it be easier to run PES 2008 thru PCSX2 on PC and upscale it's graphics to 4k and use recording software on PC for these videos?

Unfortunately i don't have a decent PC only a laptop which freezes quite often if i do too much on it. It’s ideal for PESfan editor though. I have a Mac but don't want to start using it for gaming etc... mostly for music and things.

I do have AVER Media recorder which i can use to record gameplay on the PS2. I will start doing that once I start a proper ML.

When the game first starts up it gives you the option to start or test the 60hz setting. It's a minimal change to look at but I assume 60hz might allow for more animations.

OK Thanks i will try it and see what the difference is,

Man I love that game.
I've only just started playing it again. It's amazing how well 2 years before critically acclaimed & popular PES 5 & 6 The 3rd installment of PES encapsulated realism & drama of football in 2003.

The idea of simulation wasn't something they scoffed at either, The interpretation of inertia is amazing on this game and there's a huge emphasis on passing & patience.

Just a few clips from my Euro 2008 series on PES 2008

Long rangers aren't very common as shooting power is a bit nerfed, But at least when it goes in it's because you hit the sweet spot.

If you think Freekick goals are over generous in 2019 & 2020, You should check out 2008.

And a bit of a PES oddity - A one time gimmicky camera angle on penalties. If it aint broke, Don't fix it!

I just tried it at 60hz and wow the game plays at 100mph so i had to turn it off and restart.

World Youth League

Having a really busy week so I'm going to delay this week's fixtures until next week. Still send me your teams (+ 70 min instructions if you want them) though so I'll have it all ready to go. :)

Injuries:

Continuing..
Griffiths Lyon 1 week

New:
Menga Torino 1 week
Anaba Lyon 1 week
Le Gallo Marseille 11 weeks :OH: Who'd be Marseille's manager?

and @geeeeee Skipp, who got injured in week 3 is finally back available!

and amazingly only one of our 45 players got a second yellow

Tillman Bayern Munich.

Hi Matt, it has all gone a bit quiet in here. Have all the managers gone AWOL now 😐

New episode is up!

The Group Stages come to an end and it's time to find out who makes it to the Final Eight! Germany, Spain & France all have the potential to be eliminated... Will 3 of Europe's Elite make it to the Quarter Finals?

Excellent stuff Mafia! Really well presented too.

I have never played PES2008 on PC and i know it got slated but i love the PS2 version. Watching your videos it looks like the gameplay is the same as the PS2 but with much better graphics.

I wonder many didn't like the PC version. I get more satisfaction watching your videos than the PES2020 ones. It looks like it has the same randomness as PS2 and some of the varieties of shots is excellent. So far i have only watched the first 8 mins but that Frei goal in the first match was excellent technique.

Back
Top Bottom