The Retro-PES Corner

Guys, I would like to create a few clubs in WE6 Final Evolution (PES 2) but I don't know how to create the kits. I know that for PES 6 there is kitserver where you can put your files, but is there a tutorial for creating patches for PES for PlayStation2? Maybe someone could help me out with this?

I'm really enjoying pes08 on the emulator with the Lazilale patch. Got it running smooth and looking really nice. I take back what I said about the refs, they're not that bad. They try and play the attacking advantage when possible which is good so they won't stop play for a cynical nudge on one of your midfielders when you're about to put the ball in the back of the net. They do call most of the serious fouls, although they're also a little overly keen to play the advantage in all areas of the pitch when play should actually be stopped. The ball has a lovely realistic zip to it unlike the lifeless, floaty ball physics in pes6. I can deal with the pace as the gameplay is so good. It's like they went full circle with this one and brought back that delicate balance of fun and realism from the ps1 games. Credit to this patch guy as well, great work. He's even put some well researched legends teams in there as well as the full MLS.

@Meazza84: What we should do is get the rather prolific Brazilian PS2 PES patchers to create some decent tutorials to help the rest of the world out with that endeavor. I could even translate it to English.

@Lexypoooo: If they had kept building upon that fantastic PES08 PS2 over the years, no one would be buying their PS3 games. It's that good. From the few Euro Cups I've played with the Laziale OF, the game is even better than with default stats, probably because of the better Mentality and Teamwork attributes which Konami always tends to underrate.
If you like the OF, you should try out the Legends version. The attention to detail there is even more admirable. How the hell did this guy figure out the stats of 1960s Benfica's reserve CB who almost never played, plus his appearance and all that jazz?

-----
I meant to play PES2 for the purposes of writing my retro-review, but turns out, even long after publishing it, I'm still hooked.
This is the kind of game which I don't think is the undisputed best of the series, or anything like that, but...it just fits my style, probably.
I've been keeping myself busy with random Euro and International cups, each time with a different, random NT. So far my biggest achievement was somehow winning the Euro with a modest Norway team, who's pretty lackluster all-around except for the striking trio of Tore Andre Flo, Carew and Solsjkaer. After that unexpected win, even with better teams like Denmark or Croatia I've been unable to advance past the quarterfinals each time.

The next stage is my usual underdog NT challenge, and I'll be picking the likes of China, Jamaica, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the like to try to win the International Cup. After, perhaps a ML - my first-ever on this game, actually.

If you like the OF, you should try out the Legends version. The attention to detail there is even more admirable. How the hell did this guy figure out the stats of 1960s Benfica's reserve CB who almost never played, plus his appearance and all that jazz?
Sweet, I'll check it out. I assume it's on his FB page somewhere? Is this guy on Evo? I'll have to leave him some positive feedback somewhere.

I am glad you are liking PES2008 @Lexypoooo :)

For me it really is the best retroPES, if the PC version had been as good as the ps2 version then there would be hardly any patches for PES5 and 6.

I think the refs could do with being a bit more strict. One thing I like though is when you are beating the CPU or you just score, sometimes the CPU will try to hack you down. It doesnt happen all the time but when it does i find it funny, its as if the cpu has lost its head. I’m guessing all that depends on the individual player’s Mentality stat.

@Lexypoooo: I don't think they are on Evoweb. Here's the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Option-File-Laziale-PES-2008-Ps2-Psp-527607957333633/

It's a shame that they stopped updating the classic OF though. Here you go - and anyone else interested:
Classic Laziale OF PS2: https://www.4shared.com/rar/eOaT3zc2ca/BESLES-54913P2K8OPT__3_.html
OF PSP: https://www.4shared.com/rar/F-hiGgwO/OF_CLASSIC_LAZIALE_PSP.html

@geeeeee: That might sound strange to anyone else who hasn't played the game, but it totally happens: the CPU loses its cool sometimes, much like a human! I've even seen revenge-sliding tackles as a way to retaliate against a particular player; say Player A gets fouled hard by Player B: on the next play, Player A recklessly (and tactically unnecessarily) hacks B from behind.

@miguelfcp yes it definitely retaliates if you have just fouled them and also if you have just nicked the ball off them. Sometimes they get you and pick up a card and other times they are left sliding on the ground as you sprint away which is quite funny.

@Meazza84: What we should do is get the rather prolific Brazilian PS2 PES patchers to create some decent tutorials to help the rest of the world out with that endeavor. I could even translate it to English.

If there is such a tutorial I could make use of it as I can understand Brazilian Portuguese that much. I used a youtube tutorial in BR PT to install my PS2 emulator.

Don't stress the specs guys. My current Windows laptop is a bit of a potato and I've got pes08 running perfectly on PCSX2. The other older windows versions of pes should run as smooth as notepad. BTW, if anyone is thinking about using the Laziale patch for 08, make sure you have the EU version of the game for ps2/psp.
@Flipper the Priest: Regarding the PCSX2, sometimes it's an issue of the game itself. I have no trouble running, say, J-League Club Championship 2008 or PES08, but Football Kingdom which was released four years earlier slows down a lot.

But...it was! :COOL:
Hey guys !!! I'm finally joining the party, I installed PCSX2 and the game works perfectly, with some minor stutters that don't affect the game.

I just downloaded laziale's OF and don't know how to add it.
If anyone can help, it'll be very appreciated.

Alsp another question, so in PS2 version, only the OF is enough for full kits and stadiums and boots and all that??? No tweaks in the AFS files???

Tried on PCSX2 and it's stutter city. So slow.

Could changing the PCSX2 settings help? I'm trying using the default configuration.

@geeeeee: Have you ever tried any speed/agility adjustments on PES08 PS2? After that Euro Cup experience with Portugal, and playing against those super weak teams, I get the feeling that reducing those stats would give the game a more realistic, patient pace.

After my recent success of transferring the option file to PS2 and back to PSP, would you like me to make global adjustments on your option file for you?

This is what i was doing previously on my OF but is only good for cup games.

Top Speed -15
Accleration - 15
Dribble Speed - 15
Short Pass Speed - 10
Long Pass Speed - 10

I was playing WE6 a couple of weeks ago and I felt like the game is an underrated gem. It still amazes me the earliest titles in the PS2 PES renaissance completlety nail the art & fundamentals of football above all the gimmicks graphical revolution that came later.

When you don't have long distance passing mechanics or sophisticated dribbling to count on, You really have to apply some contextual strategy to your plays, This game also nails the walking pace of football too. A couple of years later PES would be guilty of frenetic condensing of 90 minutes into 10 minutes so it become very end to end and sprinty.

Here, Good composed soccer is encouraged.

@MafiaMurderBag: Absolutely - is WE6 different in any way compared to PES2? never tried it. The game forces you to play realistic football if you want to get ahead; and, like I said in my review, do stupid things and you'll get shitty results.

One small thing I forgot to mention is the fact that you can change the commentary language right before each match. Why do they eliminate these good features? Say I'm playing Italy vs. Poland, I switch to Italian commentary; Spanish on a Spain - Portugal, German on Germany vs. Nigeria, etc...

@geeeeee: Good offer right there, let's. I'm using the Laziale 2020 v.2 : https://liberomagazine.wordpress.com/2020/02/15/laziale-2020-2-0/

@MafiaMurderBag: Absolutely - is WE6 different in any way compared to PES2? never tried it. The game forces you to play realistic football if you want to get ahead; and, like I said in my review, do stupid things and you'll get shitty results.

One small thing I forgot to mention is the fact that you can change the commentary language right before each match. Why do they eliminate these good features? Say I'm playing Italy vs. Poland, I switch to Italian commentary; Spanish on a Spain - Portugal, German on Germany vs. Nigeria, etc...

@geeeeee: Good offer right there, let's. I'm using the Laziale 2020 v.2 : https://liberomagazine.wordpress.com/2020/02/15/laziale-2020-2-0/
It's a little more responsive & some. Better ball physics compared to PES 2, I've been playing WE6:International & get this - The Gamecube version! It's the only version of PES to be released on GC as far as I'm aware, And for one thing, The visuals are higher resolution, The textures are crisper, Especially the crowds & the ramerate is much better.

Would definitely recommend, especially on an emulator.

@miguelfcp I will make the adjustments some time today and upload it for you to play test.

Regarding our private conversation, yep the players named A, B, C, D, and -, corresponds to their ML ranking. Eventually all those players will be overwritten. If you set up a ML with that OF and check Negotiations and, i think, Show All. And sort the list to Salary High-Low then you will see that it is more realistic than before.

Last edited:
Rather specific request ... I really want to create an OF for WE7i JP. I'd love to be able to edit the licenced team kits using the in-game editor, does anyone know of a way to make that happen?

Perhaps an existing OF already has them unlocked and someone has one in the depths of their hard drive ...

Happy to use PES3 or WE7i, but would prefer JP as the annoying handballs were reduced (removed?).

@geeeeee: Many thanks :)) as soon as I'm able to get the PES2 disk out of the console, I'll give it a go on the PS2 as I want to play yet another Qualifier and Euro combo.

@miguelfcp here is Laziale's 2020 adjusted speed option file for PES2008 PSP.

I also increased Stamina by 5 for Registered SB's and WB's as I know that their stamina decreases quite quickly in this game.

All credit to Laziale of course :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/k8xtf4ftb7r3j9g/PARAM.SFO/file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/83hn0cgpci1lihk/DATA.BIN/file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xr3ytkbin300e5c/ICON0.PNG/file

Remember to place them in the folder ULES008800013000
Would you share this for PS2?

Is using FM as the base stats are good for PES? I mean the accuracy of the stats that have been converted with the help of any stats converter (such as Verter). I want to do a little project for my retro patch and it's a local league in my country

@IrfaN28: Tough one. My problem with FM stats is that it has its own "logic", one that is independent of PES' attributes. For example, "Aggression" means two completely different things in each of the games, how can you "translate" that? Plus, some attributes that exist on one game don't exist on the other, and vice-versa. However, @mattmid has done some incredible work on coming up with some kind of "bridge" between both titles, he might be able to help.

Hey, guys. Is there a general consensus on what is the best PS2 PES game from the 2008-2014 era in terms of gameplay?

@artemiev: I've played a lot of PES09 PS2 and recently played PES11 PS2 for the first time, and from my experience, nothing comes even close of beating PES08 on that console. Once you play it you won't need any other subsequent PS2 PES.

@artemiev Yeah, from that era on PS2, 2008 was the last standout one they made. The later ones are playable but feel more like reskins with updated rosters and less care put into the AI. Perhaps we could flip the question a bit and ask what is the best PC PES game from the 2008-2014 era in terms of gameplay? That's a little tougher. I'm tempted to give PES 10 on PC a shot as that's always one that's escaped me a bit and I heard it's underrated.

Back
Top Bottom