The Retro-PES Corner

@reinelt97: Hey man. PES08 on the Vita must be amazing, especially because of the proper analog stick! Yup, after @geeeeee got me to play PES08 PS2 for the first time ever, and for a long time, I'm more and more convinced that the PSP version is significantly different when it comes to the gameplay.
I've seen a lot of people here mentioning that the old setups (not old...classic :COOL:) are more fitting. Curiously, yesterday I found this subreddit so there might be some truth there...
Glad you liked the review :)

@miguelfcp Do you mean PES 2008 has different gameplay PSP vs PS2? I have only played the PSP version, but have thought about buying an old PS2 just for a home console version of my favorite PES game.

@Special4988: On the surface it seems to play exactly the same, but I get more of those scrappy PES5-like matches on the PSP. I did a International Cup with Portugal on both consoles with the exact same OF - though on the PSP I only played the qualifiers, not the final tournament - and basically all of my qualifier matches on the PSP would fit a PES5 matchup with loads of midfield action, whereas on the PS2 I got a good number of more "open" matches. I don't know exactly what it is that differs from one another, but something is there.
Anyway, the PS2 version is absolutely worth it. In an ideal world everyone would be talking about how much of a classic it is, up there with the best of the PS2 era. Instead it is just a well-hidden secret...

@Special4988: On the surface it seems to play exactly the same, but I get more of those scrappy PES5-like matches on the PSP. I did a International Cup with Portugal on both consoles with the exact same OF - though on the PSP I only played the qualifiers, not the final tournament - and basically all of my qualifier matches on the PSP would fit a PES5 matchup with loads of midfield action, whereas on the PS2 I got a good number of more "open" matches. I don't know exactly what it is that differs from one another, but something is there.
Anyway, the PS2 version is absolutely worth it. In an ideal world everyone would be talking about how much of a classic it is, up there with the best of the PS2 era. Instead it is just a well-hidden secret...

Interesting! You're right, there is a scrappy midfield in the PSP version, which I don't mind. But now I am curious to try the PS2 version.

It seemed that PES 2008 was the sweet spot for this series. Right up until this version they were making improvements in gameplay features that really mattered (IMO), and then the games afterwards just seemed to go in a different direction.

@miguelfcp and @Special4988 if i am honest i have not seen a difference between the two. I played the PSP version for a couple of weeks while on holiday and couldn't wait to play the PS2 on a bigger screen with bigger controls.

Had some fantastic games this weekend on the PS2. I think it is great on both. Playing on PS2 using the AVerMedia Recorder which displays the game with a HDlike picture.

Also regarding the powder puff attack in PES5 try these adjustments...

https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes5-ps2-better-gameplay-2011-2012.66169/#post-2611201

I know i have mentioned it many times before but these adjustments, for me, make the CPU play better in attack.

The increase in teamwork means that the CPU attacking players get in better positions and it means they don’t do that stupid step over the ball and let it go out of play when in a good attacking position.

If you get a chance please try the stat adjustments, PES5 plays even better with them.

anyone know where i can download retro adboards? im rebuilding shollys 2012 classic patch adding more recent classics like spain 08-12 etc and really want to have adboards from the 1950s to the 2010s for realism

cheers

@geeeeee I took your advice from a few pages back and used PES fan editor to increase teamwork globally by 15 on PES 5. Just to make sure, you meant value of 15 and not 15% right?

@geeeeee I took your advice from a few pages back and used PES fan editor to increase teamwork globally by 15 on PES 5. Just to make sure, you meant value of 15 and not 15% right?

Yes i did a straight forward plus 15 points.
It is good to do the other stat adjustments too as it slows the game down to a nice pace and also the agility (or ability) reduction means that there are heavy touches.

anyone know where i can download retro adboards? im rebuilding shollys 2012 classic patch adding more recent classics like spain 08-12 etc and really want to have adboards from the 1950s to the 2010s for realism

cheers

Maybe you should look for some of them in the Super Data patch which has old stadiums from the seventies.

https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes5-ps2-better-gameplay-2011-2012.66169/#post-2611201

I know i have mentioned it many times before but these adjustments, for me, make the CPU play better in attack.

The increase in teamwork means that the CPU attacking players get in better positions and it means they don’t do that stupid step over the ball and let it go out of play when in a good attacking position.

If you get a chance please try the stat adjustments, PES5 plays even better with them.

Have you noticed if higher teamwork makes gameplay faster (in a negative way) and more hectic? I remember in PES3 it used to so I had to lower it even from the PSD values.

Have you noticed if higher teamwork makes gameplay faster (in a negative way) and more hectic? I remember in PES3 it used to so I had to lower it even from the PSD values.

I never noticed it faster in PES5 but that could because those adjustments included reducing Top Speed -5 Acceleration -5 Long Pass Speed -15, and Short Pass Speed -15. All that gave the game a good pace.

Also this idea from @El Pajaro regarding reducing Agility really helped to improve PES5. https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-5-with-lowered-agility-game-speed-still-the-best.70608/ :)

Last edited:
I never noticed it faster in PES5 but that could because those adjustments included reducing Top Speed -5 Acceleration -5 Long Pass Speed -15, and Short Pass Speed -15. All that gave the game a good pace.

Also this idea from @El Pajaro regarding reducing Agility really helped to improve PES5. https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-5-with-lowered-agility-game-speed-still-the-best.70608/ :)

Yeah, I'm an active proponent of agility reduction for both PES5 (we9le) and PES6 (as a matter of fact, involved in the discussion on it in another thread :) )

To make game slower I'm thinking if using speeder instead of lowering speed (especially passing speed) stats would work better, as it would impede AI less. Currently have 0.91 value for we9le, and it seems like a good setting (0.92 is already too fast for me).

I will try your recommendation on teamwork!

Yeah, I'm an active proponent of agility reduction for both PES5 (we9le) and PES6 (as a matter of fact, involved in the discussion on it in another thread :) )

To make game slower I'm thinking if using speeder instead of lowering speed (especially passing speed) stats would work better, as it would impede AI less. Currently have 0.91 value for we9le, and it seems like a good setting (0.92 is already too fast for me).

I will try your recommendation on teamwork!

Yeh i think speeder would be best but i reduced the stats as i was playing on PS2. I didnt really notice it impede the AI if i am honest but that could be because i was not that good a player.

All the stats adjustments i used seemed to work well with each other. For example I found Agility adjustment affected heading accuracy so i increased Header to compensate. So you may find increasing Team Work does make the game more arcade if you are not making other adjustments. :)

Please let us know how you get on?

More proof, if it were needed, of just how much the individual stats used to impact players and therefore gameplay. As myself and @miguelfcp found with our Amador patch, with its low stats, it produced a completely different PES6 experience. Makes you wonder where PES could now be at had they continued with this being the important base for the game.

PES 5 will always be my favourite, but it’s so true what some have said about “scrappy” games.

Currently playing PES 6 ML and had some great games so far. First signing was Maxwell, who I used to love on 2008.

Turning up negotiations to regular is really interesting. It didn’t seem to make any difference on PES 5, but teams are really active now. I enabled legends as well so that probably helps speed up signings.

Glad you appreciated it guys, appreciate the kind words :)

@geeeeee: Just checked your OF on the PS2 and yes, Wolves' John Ruddy is worth 1 PES Point, the poor guy. And he's the only one in the database with that status.

I noticed that John Ruddy is Aghahowa as default. As Aghahowa his value is normal but as Ruddy I could not see any reason why he is one of those 1 or 5000 salary players.

I decided to edit him a bit at a time using the in game editor and his value was ok when i started a new ML so that confused me. Then i realised that he was still Nigerian. He is one of those players that can only have his nationality changed in the PESfan editor. So i am thinking if i just overwrite him with a Nigerian player, his value should be fine. I will use someone else for John Ruddy.

On another note, i also noticed that Player Positions and Skills can be edited and will take affect in an existing ML just like appearance etc...

This is excellent news for any that may want to get deeper with regard to training players. For example you could have a system if you play a player out of position a number of times, then you could add that position to him in edit mode. Or if he is your star player you could randomly add a skill after a season, if his stats decline then take a skill away. You could even do that for CPU players, maybe. Just a thought to give ML more depth. :)

So I fancied a pop on WE9LE and downloaded @Sany023's installer for a 2014-15 patched version (https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/winning-eleven-9-le-season-2014-15-patch.74498/). It's a really nice patch, and I'm enjoying the WE9LE gameplay.

After playing Atl Madrid vs. Deportivo (chosen at random), I decided to try a game between French sides. Monaco vs PSG (CPU). What really stood out was the performance of Joao Moutinho. Every time I received the ball with him, everything just clicked.

He scored the first goal, which was an absolute pearler - the goalkeeper basically said "fair enough" - and assisted two goals during the match. The cheeky dink cross for the final goal was nice. He was instrumental in setting up the other goal too, playing a quick ball out to the wing for the feed into Berbatov. There were several through balls he played that caused havoc in the PSG defense that weren't included on the highlights at the end.

It's really rare for me to have a player performance be so much better than everyone else on the pitch, but it was just so much fun to channel most of the play through him once I realised how on form he was.

Here's the highlights if you're interested. I should note I was on 6*, and I'm fairly shit at WE9 in general.

Tried this patch as well.

It's truly an incredible work. Visually it looks like a completely new game: pitch textures, accurately modified body models (seriously, some looks like scans lol) and most of all faces.. there is an overwhelming number of correct ones. Couldn't control them all of course but for example Lazio does have even substitutes ones. Highly recommended if you want to try out again WE9.

This aside, I'm also having a wonderful time with WE 10: I've been playing a World Cup with Belgium, starting from the qualifiying, and it has been a fantastic journey.. will talk about it in detail when I'll be finished with it :) .

Tried this patch as well.

It's truly an incredible work. Visually it looks like a completely new game: pitch textures, accurately modified body models (seriously, some looks like scans lol) and most of all faces.. there is an overwhelming number of correct ones. Couldn't control them all of course but for example Lazio does have even substitutes ones. Highly recommended if you want to try out again WE9.

This aside, I'm also having a wonderful time with WE 10: I've been playing a World Cup with Belgium, starting from the qualifiying, and it has been a fantastic journey.. will talk about it in detail when I'll be finished with it :) .
THis @geezer guy delivers top quality patches, like an artist. At least on the WE9LE patches i tried from him.

So I took advantage of Wolves failing to get back out of Division 2 by buying Adama Traore. He ripped us apart in the 2 games we played them last season.

So i have Knockaert on the left wing and Traore on the right. These two players are quite different. Whereas Knockaert is slower and his technical ability is excellent, Traore is all about pace and power. He can burst through players but, like real life, his finishing and final ball can be off sometimes. In one match he burst through on goal but his shot was straight at the GK. His shot was so hard it bounced out quite far. And even though he is very fast it is not an exploit because defenders can still get the ball from him. It is great having these two players because on their day they are excellent but they are both inconsistent too.

@geeeeee That's awesome, Traore is a fantastic talent and still quite young. Love watching in IRL. Actually Wolves are my 2nd team to watch behind the Spurs. Raul Jimenez is one of my favorite strikers as well. Just a great team player.

I love the transfer market in this game because every new player is like a new toy. It's always fascinating to see how your new players will play on the pitch. It's something about classic PES games that is a joy, each player seems to burst with such personality and individualism. My best comparison is akin to the Pokemon series. Each different pokemon is unique and has lots of personality, and you become a bit attached to them. Right now during my Spurs ML, I am really starting to appreciate Zokora. He is never shy to put in a tackle and has saved by back lines numerous times. His passing is spotty, and I remember 1 game where he attempted a long shot and I swear he ballooned the shot to the top row. It was funny, but it didn't surprise me.

Traore is all about pace and power. He can burst through players but, like real life, his finishing and final ball can be off sometimes
@geeeeee That's awesome, Traore is a fantastic talent and still quite young. Love watching in IRL. Actually Wolves are my 2nd team to watch behind the Spurs. Raul Jimenez is one of my favorite strikers as well. Just a great team player.

I have to agree Wolves are really good to watch, although it appears they have to go 1-0 down to get going! Jiminez and Jota have a fantastic understanding and Traore is finally becoming a really good footballer at the top level. Initially he was a bit like a speedboat without a driver but now he's putting dangerous crosses in and adding goals too. His acceleration is that of a top level sprinter, there doesn't seem a way to stop that initial burst of his and he's clear to cross. I can see him going for big money sooner or later.

It would be interesting to see him in PES20, I bet he doesn't even stand out from crowd in the same way as he does in your 2008 OF.

Was it ever discovered possible to get English commentary in WE9LE? I've had a look through the forum and through Google but can't find anything...

I found these adjustments in the description of a Youtube video a few weeks ago and tried them in the OF for FLS Patch, I agreee the game gets even better by using them!

Was it ever discovered possible to get English commentary in WE9LE? I've had a look through the forum and through Google but can't find anything...
And I wish I could choose japan language in game.
I’m remembering the PS2 days when I was playing WE!
Anyway, it’s a(nother) shame they never really went into official language packs for PES. It’s so easy to set up... ^^

I don't know if the file numbers match up or not in the we9LE to we9. If so, in theory I think it should work if you dumped the we9 e_sound file in to kitserver/dat/?_Sound of we9LE, as any files in that folder are played instead of the one's in the afs file in the main dat folder.

Back
Top Bottom