The Retro-PES Corner

Hi guys long time pes player and first time poster. I'm currently in a lockdown situation and seen a post on Twitter which has mad me feel nostalgic with alot of time on my hands. I'm looking for somewhere to download PES 6 on pc that will run on windows 10. Buying the disc is no good as my PC does not have a disk drive. If any of you could point me toward anywhere I could safely download this if at all I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance.

And here are the Group A games. After my defeat vs Turkey I really wanted to win with Portugal. It was so stressful!

The next game was played by two uninspired teams on a rainy night. A frustrating experience, recommended only to hard-core masochists:

@geeeeee: Hmm, those findings of yours have @mattmid written all over it, he must be salivating already! I honestly didn't know it was possible to do that. What I often do is I add/change positions to the players before starting the ML.

@Special4988: That's really a perfect analogy, I feel exactly the same having played a lot of Pokemon ages ago. One definitely bonds with some of these virtual folks, particularly those who have something characteristic or unusual about them stats-wise.

@KIMJONGACE: Hey man, welcome to the Corner. Do post about your adventures here! Your post reminds me, I'll add @Sany023's installers on the first post of the thread.

@Meazza84: Oh man, that Portuguese team was something else. I've been watching some of our Euro 2000 matches on the tele lately, and they played some great football. It helps having Rui Costa and Figo, but even the reserves played awesomely, as seen on that 3-0 win against Germany on the final match of the group stage.

Yes man, I dedicate this victory to you. :)

Yes, everybody loved Portugal then. Although they played a little worse in the knockout stage IMO because the coach played Figo on the left wing to make use of Conceicao on the right because he scored a hat-trick against Germany and had to be promoted to the first squad. That didn't quite work so well.

My first introduction to Portugal was our crushing Euro 2004 exit to them in the quarters. My first tournament as a fan, At the time i just indoctrinated to believe they were evil, floppy haired bastards like the Argentinians & that they were the enemy.

It's once you mature as a fan and appreciate football in it's essence that you come to understand truly why just like England back then, It was considered a golden generation. At least The Seleção was a heck of a lot more consistent then England was too. It's crazy to imagine a world other than Zidane being sent off in the 2006 final because Portugal plays Italy there in their place, But it could've been!

@geeeeee: Hmm, those findings of yours have @mattmid written all over it, he must be salivating already! I honestly didn't know it was possible to do that. What I often do is I add/change positions to the players before starting the ML

I can't believe I had never tried that! Particularly after I'd found out it worked in League mode, even moving players in and out of squads worked seamlessly there (apart from remembering cards) in the world youth league manager league.

Zamenhof the CF... :PIRATE:

Guys, is there any patch for the original PS2 game (Pro Evolution Soccer)? Or at least a version with real player and club names?

So, as anticipated, I had this beautiful World Cup run on WE 10 which ended, ironically, with Portugal eliminating me :D.​

I picked Belgium, which is a not overpowered team but it's plenty of of good players all the same: Mpenza brothers, Buffel, Van Buyten, my midfield (and spiritual team) leader Simons and my own Lazio player Proto as a GK among the others. I also had Kompany, but I ended up using him very little.​

This was my qualfying stage:​

qualifiers.jpg

4 tough games against Greece and Italy, but I ended up beating Switzerland quite easily in both matches, which gave me access to playoffs:​

playoffgroup.jpg

Had two pretty epic matches against Spain, which played some very good football in both occasions, Xavi being a true leader. Both Poland and Turkey gave me troubles but I managed to easily pass on the final World Cup stage. Here my group:​

World Cup group.jpg

Which I won after an heartbeating last game against Uruguay (here the two very scrappy Buffel's goals that sealed the deal :D:​
).​

This also happened against them:​

A player (Forlan) raising the ball (not sure if on purpose) and try the scissor kick is something I'm not sure I've ever seen on Ps2 era.​

In the eight finals, I beat 2-1 Colombia (particularly appreciated this Mpenza low shot:​
)​
and then I met my doom in the quarters against Portugal, in a very epic 2-3 loss: they scored first with a Pauleta header, I draw with Mbo Mpenza, they went up again with Deco and park the bus (the switched to 3 DMF, not sure I've seen this before either O_o:​
portugaldmf.jpg )​
, then I draw in the last minutes with this other Mpenza goal, barely escaping the desperate tackles, which truly made me jump from my sit:​

At this point, they went crazy and turned their mindset to red, but I resisted to the extratimes. Unfortunately, in the second one Pauleta scored a free kick which threw me out for good. My key players dead tired and them parking the bus once again, there was no way to recover after that! Brazil ended up winning the whole thing in a final against France.​

Had a lot of fun, anyway; playing a complete WC brought me back to the colorful ISS N64 era, to Fifa 98 and the such. Don't think I ever did one with qualifiers etc. from start to "end" since those times indeed.​
To draw some other conclusion about the game: it surely plays very nice and with a great degree of randomness. I love how CPU can be super aggressive (look here for a nice example:​
),​
super offensive, super defensive and the such with what looks like some decent criteria and context; it feels like players and their qualities have a great influcence on how playstyle unrolls: the more classy ones there are on the field, the better the teams plays, as it effectively should be; I've seen more low, fast passes and "intelligent" passing nets against Spain and Portugal (without renouncing to individual plays by their Figo, Xavi or CR7, of course), and some of more opportunistic football against lesser teams.​
Overall, I can confirm it's a very peculiar and fun title; of course, a bit on the fast side, and certainly "lighter" in structure than Pes5 and his siblings, but if you are into Ps2 Pes surely very enjoyable and worth to revisit. Wish you could also tweak time duration back in the days, cause I feel 10 minutes matches aren't enough and 15 may be too much. Something in between would be nicer.​
One final note: keep in mind that I've yet to unlock 6 stars difficulty, so all that I said is valid for 5. I've seen a topic where Chenghis does have some good tactic for this game too but he indeed recommends 6 stars, so it might be game changing (hopefully in an even better fashion) after all ;).​

p.s. hope the post isn't too heavy, in case just tell me and I'll put the videos under spoiler too :)

And here are all the goals so far:

I have won 4 games out of 8, with 2 draws and 2 losses. I was lucky on two occasions, against Slovenia where I was awarded a suspicious penalty in the last minutes and vs Denmark where their defense made a massive mistake to allow Anelka to score. A worrying thing is that I haven't won a single game with more than one goal margin, whereas the CPU beat me 1-3 in the game Norway-Spain.

As for the tournament itself, it's progressing in a rather interesting way. The heroes of the first round are Sergen Yalcin (a player I have a soft spot for, so I can't be very angry at him) who single-handedly defeated the Azzurri, Alfonso Perez who scored a hat-trick for Spain, Figo whose long-distance shot found the target to defeat the Three Lions and Dennis Bergkamp, whose precise free-kick was decisive in an otherwise very tactical and tight game with almost no scoring chances.

Amazing write-up @Madmac79, you're making me very curious to try WE10.

--

After many underdog World Cup saves, always failing to lead the Latvias and Venezuelas and Chinas to glory - but having tons of fun regardless -, I freshened up my experience by quietly starting a ML on PES5 with a created team, Portugal's Boavista. I say 'quietly' because I wasn't sure this was going to last, and I'm still pretty sure I'll soon feel the itch and be back on the WC/Euro Cup horse; also I wasn't completely 'sold' on the concept I was trying to replicate here. The idea is building a somewhat realistic Boavista squad with many Portuguese players of course, either ones that played for that club in real life (Litos, Silva, Mário Silva, Ricardo Sousa...) or others who never played there but would be realistic signings such as an ageing Fernando Couto or Jorge Costa; as well as signings from the three Portuguese teams present in PES5 (Porto, Benfica and Sporting) who never achieved much on those teams and were expendable.

My starting-11:
Moreira; Amequis, Jorge Costa, Fernando Couto, Areias; Vidigal, Kruso Hagur, Capucho, Ricardo Sousa; Edgar and Silva.

I'm halfway on the first season and I'm having more fun than I thought I would. I'm five points ahead of the 3rd place already as 1st, so promotion to the D1 seems like an inevitability. Clearly the highlight of the experience so far is the players' individuality. Unlike on those underdog National Teams adventures of mine, this time around I recognize all of these players after having watched them play football for many years and not only they play exactly like their real-life counterparts, they're so much different from one another, respecting their diverse statsheets.

Here's a few moments of gameplay that I found worth sharing:
- Jankauskas redeems himself after a horrible first touch faking two opponents simultaneously with a simple move.

- Cesar Peixoto completely fakes the opponent.

- This one would have even more of an impact if you saw it at full speed: Ricardo Sousa fakes three opponents at the same time with a single touch. Again, no need for fancy dribbles; a subtle touch at the right time can be effective enough. Plus, I pulled this off in Cuito Cuanavale with its horrible pitch: extra points for that!

- Lastly, I hadn't seen this animation for a while: the play goes on and suddenly, a player falls injured after trying to keep up with the play.

I don't know how long this will last but I wanted a fresh experience within PES5 and I'm definitely getting it.

@miguelfcp That last clip is actually quite hilarious! Late reaction...

Something a little different, but does anyone else really enjoy the kick save goalie animation? Saw a goalie do it last night. Looked awesome.

@Special4988: Did you record it by any chance? Don't know exactly what it is.
The interesting thing is that the guy (Smicer, I believe) wasn't faking it, because he had to be subbed off minutes later! I Don't think I've ever seen this animation more than 2, 3 times.

---
Does anyone know anything about the transfer frequency in PES5? I believe I remember someone complaining about the lack of transfers carried out by the CPU there.

Very nice stuff @miguelfcp . I agree with you that another quality of Pes5/WE9 was to absolutely make you widen your eyes in wonder with apparently simple things. Your videos are very good testaments of it. I remember when the injury episode happened to me for the first time (still have it in my eyes, poor Van Der Vaart exhausted and his C rate in injuries!) and I was absolutely incredulous to see him fall down that way. What a magical game.

All the best to your new adventure, seems like a fun challenge- you also signed my boy Couto, can't help but cheer for you even more!

Anyway, about transfers- yes, CPU is pretty much bugged, practically never making offers for your players (only exception, in my memory, is when you start with defaults.. in the first season you'll usually have at least some offers for your players, then nothing more even here). It's one of those cases you are forced to either accept it or come out with some fantasy solution (in a past ML, when I had enough credits to do it, I used to buy players and trade them for CPU ones to make them do some decent signing, for example)

Just had the AI do this to me in two consecutive games on PES6.

First game my guy gets nutmegged.

Then the very next game, I swear I've never seen this before. I have never really done skill moves other than basic ones so maybe it's possible to do it but I've certainly never seen the AI do it to me. I had to pause the game because I thought, did that just happen! My midfielder had to pay to get back in.

I was almost upset for him as he then did a 1-2 only to shoot wide.

A great goal from the fast and powerful Adama Traore against his former club. The replay does not capture the pace.

On the subject of Traore. He has played about 7 games for me and we are at the Negotiations stage in Div 2 and he already has 2 offers. One from Athletico Madrid and the other is Sevilla. Really he should leave.

Here is an example of what i said earlier regarding the keepers in PES2008. When they save a shot and it goes up in the air, it is not guaranteed (like PES5) to be caught by the keeper as the striker looks on.

I thought i would share this. When i finish editing a team i always start a new ML just to check the prices etc...i normally check the Champions League standings too which are CPU generated scores that early stage. i know that at the beginning of a ML the teams in the Champions are pretty random. Nothing random about the score between QPR and Barcelona...

1585527993197.jpeg

I believe that is the biggest CPU v CPU score i have seen. Very realistic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom