The Retro-PES Corner

@Madmac79 Well done for getting to the top of the division. It looks quite tight though. If you want a GK, Ivarov is available as @mattmid said. He is just warming our bench at the moment.

So we have the next two games. The first one is away against Wolves who are 4th while we are sitting 5th. Another must win game.

Wolves 2 Canvey 0, that could be it. The season may be all over as Wolves were so dificult to break down but they deserved the win. Guti wasn’t himself and his game was summed up when he got injured. A bit of a downer if I am honest as I was expecting more from the team.

Next match is against second placed Fulham. We have to win to have any chance of promotion.

Canvey 1 v Fulham 1, Ordaz, Ordaz, Ordaz, what happened fella? You had a hat-trick of chances but could not find the target. The best chance that Ordaz had was a one on one, I was confident that he would bury it in the corner the same way he has done for us so many times this season. But it was a bit of a scuffed effort. It was as if the moment completely got to my players and myself. The draw was not good enough and it now means that we are 6 points behind 2nd place Fulham with 2 games left and we need an 11 goal swing, so that is an impossibility.
:(
We will try our best now and hopefully Ordaz will pick his head up and finish the season as top scorer.

1590791980782.jpeg

@geeeeee Got to be pleased with the season though seeing as you also went up a skill level. Did Ruskin get the assist for Wolves second? Lovely little cutback :LOL: The times I've done stuff like that!

My personal favourite wasn't actually an own goal, I like to think of it as a clearance worked out in training.

It was a corner in my box that bobbled around. My player ran onto it heading towards his own goal and for some reason I hit the long pass button and had it pressed during the run up so had max power on it, without even thinking about applying a direction either. I'm laughing now remembering it. I absolutely hammered the ball which flew straight up in the air, hit the bar and rebounded about 30 yards up the field :D I could just picture the player telling his team mates he meant it :)

@kežman I could only imagine the size of Bendtner's head if those were his real life stats. :) Some great stats there and a very nice squad.

@geeeeee
Pity for the promotion but man, I truly loved that game against Wolves anyway. I'm quite surprised they were relegated as they are quality in both real life and, judging how they played, surely in your OF too of course. Shame that you could have scored with Hamsun and with that beatiful curled shot of Ordaz, but unluckily neither went in nor the good number of other chances you produced in the 2nd half.

However, I liked a lot some things I saw from Wolves. I think the Moutinho shot on the top corner of the crossbar that propitiated Neves header for the first goal was a magnificent picture as a whole. Loved also how Raul Jimenez took the ball and almost make it from the midfield to the net a second after that goal.

Can't wait for when you'll make it D1 and we'll get to see the big shots ;)!

Anyway.. don't think Ivarov would be happy to just switch benches :P

@kežman wow man, sounds like an epic journey for sure and an hell of a roster :). Also very nice to see not only yours but AI squad team building as well after all those seasons. That St.Etienne side looks nuts!

Last edited:
I've been playing my PS2 through an RCA/SCART adapter but decided to get one of those RCA to HDMI converters. Didn't expect the picture quality to be much/any better, but at least I'd have the convenience of being able to hook up to HDMI elsewhere in the house where all TVs are SCART-free.

It arrived today and the picture quality is terrible. Back to the drawing board. Any ideas, anyone, that won't break the bank? Thinking @geeeeee might be my best bet!

Months later and I'm still on PES2, loving it more and more - yet I still haven't won a single Pseudo-Champions League. I've tried it with almost all of the European giants, from Navarra (Real Madrid) to Aragon (Manchester United), even gave it a go with an underdog but very interesting side to play with, Cantabria (Deportivo) - nothing. Every time I'm eliminated from the competition I try it again with another side, so I'm quickly running out of powerful teams to help me finally conquer that much-wanted trophy.

Currently I'm playing with Marche - Internazionale - (or, as the PES2 Spanish commentator says, "Las Marchas" (??)). The roster is perhaps one step below the quality of an Aragon or Navarra, but one can consider it one of the best in this game. Toldo is one of the best keepers in PES2; Materazzi and Ivan Cordoba have both +90 DEF (Cordoba is phenomenal!), Javier Zanetti is fantastic as expected and as a LB I use Dario Simic, typically a CB, 87 DEF. Oranges Seedorf plays in the middle with Di Biagio (I've seen much better midfields in this game, though Seedorf is a goddamn engine), Sérgio Conceição as RMF and Recoba as LMF; then a wonderful striker duo comprised of Vieri (99 Shot Technique...) and The Brazilian Radolno.

I advanced past the group stage and have eliminated one of the bogey teams of this PES2 adventure of mine, Provence (Monaco); then a last-minute Radolno goal eliminated favourites Piemonte (Juventus), which immediately guaranteed that this particular save was already going to be the most successful I've had so far in this PES2 Pseudo-CL experience, for I hadn't reached the competition's semifinals yet. I don't want to jinx it but I feel this is it, the Pseudo-CL will be conquered this time around.

@Flipper the Priest: I've heard elsewhere - and I believe someone even mentioned it here - that playing these retro-PES titles on CRT TVs gets you a visually superior experience than on modern, flat ones. Was it you @reinelt97?

@miguelfcp I'm toying a bit with WE6FE these days and I was just asking myself if you were keeping at it with the pseudo CL on Pes 2.
Inter didn't played the best football back then, but was solid AF. Isn't there also Kallon/Kabon between the subs? Loved that guy, I consider him one of my ML legends even tho was only in Pes 2 and 3 IIRC.. he used to be 99% of times my first buy as he was lowkey/lowcost and super good on the field.

Good luck for the semis ;)

Months later and I'm still on PES2, loving it more and more - yet I still haven't won a single Pseudo-Champions League. I've tried it with almost all of the European giants, from Navarra (Real Madrid) to Aragon (Manchester United), even gave it a go with an underdog but very interesting side to play with, Cantabria (Deportivo) - nothing. Every time I'm eliminated from the competition I try it again with another side, so I'm quickly running out of powerful teams to help me finally conquer that much-wanted trophy.

Currently I'm playing with Marche - Internazionale - (or, as the PES2 Spanish commentator says, "Las Marchas" (??)). The roster is perhaps one step below the quality of an Aragon or Navarra, but one can consider it one of the best in this game. Toldo is one of the best keepers in PES2; Materazzi and Ivan Cordoba have both +90 DEF (Cordoba is phenomenal!), Javier Zanetti is fantastic as expected and as a LB I use Dario Simic, typically a CB, 87 DEF. Oranges Seedorf plays in the middle with Di Biagio (I've seen much better midfields in this game, though Seedorf is a goddamn engine), Sérgio Conceição as RMF and Recoba as LMF; then a wonderful striker duo comprised of Vieri (99 Shot Technique...) and The Brazilian Radolno.

I advanced past the group stage and have eliminated one of the bogey teams of this PES2 adventure of mine, Provence (Monaco); then a last-minute Radolno goal eliminated favourites Piemonte (Juventus), which immediately guaranteed that this particular save was already going to be the most successful I've had so far in this PES2 Pseudo-CL experience, for I hadn't reached the competition's semifinals yet. I don't want to jinx it but I feel this is it, the Pseudo-CL will be conquered this time around.

@Flipper the Priest: I've heard elsewhere - and I believe someone even mentioned it here - that playing these retro-PES titles on CRT TVs gets you a visually superior experience than on modern, flat ones. Was it you @reinelt97?

PES2 really is magic. I'm hooked on this ML, although I'm now facing my fourth year in Division 3. Missed out on a playoff place by a point. Cursing a last-minute Fiorentina equaliser in the penultimate game. Speaking of Seedorf, earlier I remembered that call names for the Dutch players made the game. You can only assign them to created players, however. Enjoy Clarence Seedog, Patrick Kleyfeet and Frank and Ronald De Boo amongst others.

I've heard CRT is the way to go. There are lengthy, technical YouTube videos telling me so. But I can't justify the space one would take up! I'm really hoping there's a cable/connection.

this guy was really great at his prime. back in those day, every team had a great free kick taker, now those kind of players are rare. thanks to @Fenomeno9 for his great 2001/2002 option file:

Wow, Ian Harte. Never played him very often but was one of the "special ones" when it came to ISS Pro Evolution, when "Long thrower" was a new feature in football game history.

Whilst playing FIFA 13(?) I was able to get him well-aged for a lower league club and played him until retirement.

I always loved and will love guys that can find the net from way out the box. My PES teams always "struggling" me that I do not know who should take the free kicks ;)

[...]

@kežman wow man, sounds like an epic journey for sure and an hell of a roster :). Also very nice to see not only yours but AI squad team building as well after all those seasons. That St.Etienne side looks nuts!

I still have in mind, that this really felt like a torture sometimes, because in the first years not only hot prospects were available as 17-year olds and I also was not able to afford all of them.
And then you have to play seasons to get some remarkable effect on the guys you built your roster upon.

Looking back onto this journey I think I would have spent more time developing more interesting players in those 14/15 years of game time and would have replaced some players earlier, like Bendtner, Bosvelt or Vitor Baia, which were not my favorites but were already developed and doing their job well.

This way it feels like I had been playing the same guys for a very long time only spending time on optimizing the players from spot 15 to 32 in my roster.

Because of that I am now trying to find a good way to get the motivation back by replacing some of those players. This year does not have a youth player that plays GK and is attractive enough for my roster. I already added Maxwell to get more depth and versatility on the outside and Lebouef as a replacement for Boulahrouz (I really don't know why I got him anyway).

[...]

Speaking of Seedorf, earlier I remembered that call names for the Dutch players made the game. You can only assign them to created players, however. Enjoy Clarence Seedog, Patrick Kleyfeet and Frank and Ronald De Boo amongst others.

[...]

Could be something that I do not remember well, but as far as I remember it, there were also correct default callnames for some fake players in the (poor-) german commentary in ISS Pro Evolution 2 (PS1) ... some kind of trivia if it's true ;)

Man I was always so curious about these guides.

I want one 🐑

No Master League games but apparently there's a Polish PES 6 online group and they started EURO 2020 just now. I was given Germany and well, who the hell knows whats gonna happen. 🐑

PES 6 online is so good I missed it a lot!

@slamsoze @gabe.paul.logan Yeah I have the pdf, I can't remember where I got it from now, must have been from a link from someone on the forum.

@Flipper the Priest You have the pes6 guide? Does it say anything about getting players to go up for a corner, as in every time you get one (other than manually moving to all out attack before the corner)? On PES5 you can put a forward arrow on one defender and he'll go up but I seem to remember that didn't seem to work on 6.

Hi guys, my master league is going on. I show you the highlights of my trip to Anfield.
The result did not penalize us, we are still qualified with one game in advance.
Liverpool put the qualities of Gerrard, Luis Garcia, D'alessandro and Kewell at the service of Cissè.
They literally drove me crazy

@Flipper the Priest You have the pes6 guide? Does it say anything about getting players to go up for a corner, as in every time you get one (other than manually moving to all out attack before the corner)? On PES5 you can put a forward arrow on one defender and he'll go up but I seem to remember that didn't seem to work on 6.

Yeah. 100% have it but 99% sure it's in the loft! Not getting at it any time soon. Maybe ask again in late November? 🎄

@Madmac79: Appropriately named...Fallan; yes Kallon is there and you're right, he's a beast. I believe he was massively downgraded on subsequent PESes, but in PES2 he's got the speed and the attacking ability (89 ATT), a powerful combination. I wish I had recorded one instance on the Pseudo-CL semifinals which I'll be describing further on: I trigger one of those R1+R2 bursts, Kallon literally kicks the ball 2 or 3 virtual metres away from Valencia's Pellegrino, and though the latter was 2 metres away from Kallon and closer to the ball, in such a short distance Kallon just flies away from him. Electrifying. He became my super-sub, as he plays horribly as a starter but off the bench he's a machine.

@Flipper the Priest: Have you noticed whether the CPU always plays the same starting-11 on your ML save? On my International Cup and Konami Cup ventures it always does.

Had no idea about the callnames stuff. I do wish they had gone with calling Van Nistelrooy "Oranges 038", Bergkamp "Oranges001" and so on. It's in a way amusingly dehumanizing; as if one would be saying "you might be a millionaire footballer with millions of fans around the world but here you're just another Oranges - or I don't even know how to pronounce your name so I'll just call you Radolno".

-----

Pseudo-CL semifinals against..Andalucia - Valencia. Though a young Pablo Aimar could be a threat to our defense, I though this would've been an easy one, especially after eliminating Piemonte. It wasn't. 7 shots for each team in 90 minutes, and a very scrappy Vieri goal allowed us to reach the final.
Time to face Anhalt - Bayern. Effenberg was (and ended the Pseudo-CL as) the competition's top scorer - and showed he was the real deal throughout the match; but besides a fantastic Kahn (two of his saves were absolutely unbelievable) we were definitely supposedly the better team. Again, i was wrong. The match was intense and balanced, Anhalt even scores first. 15 minutes before the end, Radolno singlehandedly saves us and ties it 1-1, to ET we go. Though both teams had chances to get that Golden Goal to win it all, it ends 1-1: PK shootout.
Toldo, who was absolutely brilliant on every match, saves two penalties and...Marche wins the Pseudo-CL!!!

Took me a few months, but I did it. I thought that when I completed this "objective", I'd go back to PES5, but now I don't want to abandon this game. I might take a page off of @Flipper the Priest's playbook and start a proper PES2 ML save...

Last edited:
@geeeeee Got to be pleased with the season though seeing as you also went up a skill level. Did Ruskin get the assist for Wolves second? Lovely little cutback :LOL: The times I've done stuff like that!

My personal favourite wasn't actually an own goal, I like to think of it as a clearance worked out in training.

It was a corner in my box that bobbled around. My player ran onto it heading towards his own goal and for some reason I hit the long pass button and had it pressed during the run up so had max power on it, without even thinking about applying a direction either. I'm laughing now remembering it. I absolutely hammered the ball which flew straight up in the air, hit the bar and rebounded about 30 yards up the field :D I could just picture the player telling his team mates he meant it :)

The season was ok but i have high expectations for these lads.

I told Ruskin to only do the fancy things when we are 5 nil up and deep into injury time :LOL:

I would love to see you do that ‘trained’ clearance again Matt, please record it next time :P

@geeeeee
Pity for the promotion but man, I truly loved that game against Wolves anyway. I'm quite surprised they were relegated as they are quality in both real life and, judging how they played, surely in your OF too of course. Shame that you could have scored with Hamsun and with that beatiful curled shot of Ordaz, but unluckily neither went in nor the good number of other chances you produced in the 2nd half.

However, I liked a lot some things I saw from Wolves. I think the Moutinho shot on the top corner of the crossbar that propitiated Neves header for the first goal was a magnificent picture as a whole. Loved also how Raul Jimenez took the ball and almost make it from the midfield to the net a second after that goal.

Can't wait for when you'll make it D1 and we'll get to see the big shots ;)!

Anyway.. don't think Ivarov would be happy to just switch benches :P

Yeh Wolves were excellent and it was really hard for me to break them down.

As a whole the AI is excellent in this game. At the moment though i am struggling to stop the through balls. I will be looking for a new CB and DM in the transfer window. If you don’t want Ivarov, i may stick him there. :LOL:

@miguelfcp I think that was me, yes. I was playing PES on a basic HDTV via PS2 using a HDMI convertor. It was fine but having tried it on an old CRT TV, the difference is not only in the graphics but in the gameplay. The framerate/pace of the game is better. I'm currently playing PES 2011 (PS2 version f course) and loving it.

I've been playing my PS2 through an RCA/SCART adapter but decided to get one of those RCA to HDMI converters. Didn't expect the picture quality to be much/any better, but at least I'd have the convenience of being able to hook up to HDMI elsewhere in the house where all TVs are SCART-free.

It arrived today and the picture quality is terrible. Back to the drawing board. Any ideas, anyone, that won't break the bank? Thinking @geeeeee might be my best bet!

Hi Flipper, sorry for not getting back sooner was a bit busy over the weekend.
I used to play mine on a basic HD TV which has sockets for the AV Cable which i used directly from the PS2 (see picture). But a couple of years ago i got an AVer Media box for recording the gameplay and very fortunately it connects to the TV in HD and plays excellent through it. The only problem is that it does not record in HD. I don’t like using SKART leads because they never seem to connect well.

1591010072054.jpeg

I have Pes 2008 one still in cellophane. When I first had it back in the days I wasn't interested enough to even open it, now at the opposite I almost feel like it would be a sacrilege to do it :LOL:
View attachment 44936

You need to open it....

1591016631472.jpeg

One of my favourite pages...

1591016659534.jpeg

It is for the PS2 and the PS3 version.

I think I have one for PES2009 PS3 version which I loved because it helped me to enjoy PES2009.

I remember really struggling to play that game but I used to 'train' myself by reading and watching the free DVD and it really really helped. It was so satisfying when I started to get good at it. :)

PS. Apologies for all the separate posts. I am playing catchup with replies and don't have time to do them all at once.

Last two matches of the 20-21 Season of my ML, a couple of nothing games really. Just playing for pride.

13. Southampton v Canvey Eagles

Southampton 2 Canvey 0, the means that Southampton go up as Champions (sorry Matt). If you watch the match you will see that after the first goal this where all of training that Ivarov has given to Selikhov has well and truly paid off (he even played a one-two with his head). And the second goal... I was in stitches. I only wish that the replay would have shown him walk into the post afterwards :LOL:

There are 3 teams fighting for the second promotion place, Norwich (21pts), Fulham (21pts), and Wolves (19pts). Norwich and Wolves play each other.

14. Canvey Eagles v Huddersfield, i wouldn't bother watching the highlights as it was pretty poor, the highlights are only 5 mins long and that's with all the team sheet, league table etc... included :P

Canvey 0 Huddersfield 0, a poor game which sums up the final part of the season on our part. Oh well that's football I suppose. Norwich beat Wolves 1-0 which they get promoted.

I made a couple of transfers in preseason which I am quite happy about.

CB. Liam Cooper who is 29 and the captain of Leeds but they are not in my ML so he did not have a club. He cost £22,000,000 and has a £3,000,000 salary for 4 years. I was trying to get Aaron Long but he was not interested.

1591024647178.jpeg1591024692997.jpeg

DMF. E. Camavinga who plays for French club Rennes. Again they are not in my ML so he did not have a club. He is only 18 and looks really good (but not unrealistically good) compared to Iouga and Dodo. He cost £21,000,000 and also has a £3,000,000 salary for 4 years. I need to change his hairdo though and his Nationality as he has since obtained French citizenship.

1591024971212.jpeg1591024995787.jpeg

I am really hoping that they will make up a stronger spine to the team. Looking forward to next season. :)

Finally, more exciting news in the transfer market...

Last edited:
@Madmac79: Appropriately named...Fallan; yes Kallon is there and you're right, he's a beast. I believe he was massively downgraded on subsequent PESes, but in PES2 he's got the speed and the attacking ability (89 ATT), a powerful combination. I wish I had recorded one instance on the Pseudo-CL semifinals which I'll be describing further on: I trigger one of those R1+R2 bursts, Kallon literally kicks the ball 2 or 3 virtual metres away from Valencia's Pellegrino, and though the latter was 2 metres away from Kallon and closer to the ball, in such a short distance Kallon just flies away from him. Electrifying. He became my super-sub, as he plays horribly as a starter but off the bench he's a machine.

@Flipper the Priest: Have you noticed whether the CPU always plays the same starting-11 on your ML save? On my International Cup and Konami Cup ventures it always does.

Had no idea about the callnames stuff. I do wish they had gone with calling Van Nistelrooy "Oranges 038", Bergkamp "Oranges001" and so on. It's in a way amusingly dehumanizing; as if one would be saying "you might be a millionaire footballer with millions of fans around the world but here you're just another Oranges - or I don't even know how to pronounce your name so I'll just call you Radolno".

-----

Pseudo-CL semifinals against..Andalucia - Valencia. Though a young Pablo Aimar could be a threat to our defense, I though this would've been an easy one, especially after eliminating Piemonte. It wasn't. 7 shots for each team in 90 minutes, and a very scrappy Vieri goal allowed us to reach the final.
Time to face Anhalt - Bayern. Effenberg was (and ended the Pseudo-CL as) the competition's top scorer - and showed he was the real deal throughout the match; but besides a fantastic Kahn (two of his saves were absolutely unbelievable) we were definitely supposedly the better team. Again, i was wrong. The match was intense and balanced, Anhalt even scores first. 15 minutes before the end, Radolno singlehandedly saves us and ties it 1-1, to ET we go. Though both teams had chances to get that Golden Goal to win it all, it ends 1-1: PK shootout.
Toldo, who was absolutely brilliant on every match, saves two penalties and...Marche wins the Pseudo-CL!!!

Took me a few months, but I did it. I thought that when I completed this "objective", I'd go back to PES5, but now I don't want to abandon this game. I might take a page off of @Flipper the Priest's playbook and start a proper PES2 ML save...

The R1+R2 bursts are wonderful. Yakubu and Ikedia on the wings for my Ajax team - watch them fly. It's a feature sorely lacking in the most recent PESes, with players stripped of attributes. And unlike recent FIFAs - where you can burn the fullback with express pace - crossing the ball and scoring isn't a formality.

The CPU changes its line up quite frequently, I've noticed. Because I've been so shite and stuck in the same league for four seasons, I've noted when some of my nemeses (Marcos, Schmeichel, Barbarez, Alfonso, Angel, Vassell, Adriano to name a few) are absent only to return.

From what I can see, Van Nistelrooy is 'Van Newsly' and Bergkamp 'Bergman'. I assume that's what they would've been called had they not gone so Orangey. What was the deal again? Dutch FA refusal? I don't think I've ever known for certain.

I'd start an ML. It's been a blast for me!

Hi Flipper, sorry for not getting back sooner was a bit busy over the weekend.
I used to play mine on a basic HD TV which has sockets for the AV Cable which i used directly from the PS2 (see picture). But a couple of years ago i got an AVer Media box for recording the gameplay and very fortunately it connects to the TV in HD and plays excellent through it. The only problem is that it does not record in HD. I don’t like using SKART leads because they never seem to connect well.

View attachment 45043

No worries! That's the cable I had been using (and have reverted back to). I think I'll just stick with it now. In time I might get a beefier laptop that can run an emulator at a better resolution. Cheers!

So much content to catch up with since the last time I posted here. Glad to see taht retro-PES is still doing fine! 😀

I took a break from PES altogether for a while, then starting to re-play some old games one by one to see if there was one shining in the comparison... Willing to find one to finally restart my "100% fantasy" project with.

Currently undecided between PES 5 and PES 6, and I can't choose. Each of them has something that the other one doesn't.

I just can't choose. 😩

Back
Top Bottom