The Retro-PES Corner

Oh well, I meant PC indeed.
I'm looking for some "same season" patches (so a 2011/12 one for PES 2012 for example), and this rules out all the latest versions of the biggest patches (PTE, Smoke, PESEdit, PESGalaxy) which are the more mantained (if I made it clear enough).
Unfortunately, links to versions "in the middle" (the ones that cover the season the game refers to but don't add anything about the folowing season) aren't kept alive as much as the ones referring to the "latest and greatest version of patch X".
I'll have a look and see what I find, thank you!

Ah man, I messed up. YEah, quite hard to find good patches for the original seasons indeed.

Last edited:
Just past halfway in my ninth season of the ML in Pro Evo 5; it's 2013 and Minanda will retire at the end of the season at the age of 42. He has just short of 70 goals and 40 assists, from about 220 appearances, a ratio some of my strikers would die for. He used to be my penalty taker so I would estimate that at least 20 of those will be spot kicks, but he has also scored a dozen or so free kicks over the years, and his shot accuracy is the best it's ever been, enabling him to score a handful from the edge of the D and closer each year. I hope to give him as good a swansong as I can.

He might have to be content without a league title in his last season though; I started well but things soon got iffy, and have lost 3 times now as well as a number of draws (I only lost 4 league games in the previous two years combined), and I am down in 3rd. I go from a good performance to two or three mediocre ones, which can result in frustrating draws or deserved defeats. The computer has scored some nice goals against me, but I've also been a bit careless.

There are some high points though- I bought Ostwaut over the summer, one of the old guard from the PES 3 days. I never really appreciated how effective he can be back in 2003, but he has middle shooting and passing as special abilities (plus outside), and the former makes up for his lack of shooting power, so that at age 25 he is rather good at shooting from just outside the box. He has been sporadically used, as I am still using Minanda as my starting AMF and there are plenty of others on the bench who covet that role, but Ostwaut has 6 in all competitions so far. I've also had some big wins, mainly in the cup. Inconsistency has been the name of my game this season! In four legs of the D1 cup I've scored 16 goals! Things are looking quite good in both cups at the moment, I see myself getting to the knockout stages of the CL and probably the final of the D1 cup.

I also had a nice league game against Sparta Prague just before the Christmas break; scored an early goal with Barota, but on 13 minutes their striker was played through and I was chasing back with my RB, Ziliotto. I decided to take him out before he shot, and viciously slid into the back of his legs. Red card! Fair cop, I suppose, though I was at home and had hoped for some bias from the referee. They scored from the free kick.

I was incensed, however, when five minutes later I was in their box with my back to goal and a defender crudely hacked my legs away. The ball didn't even move!!! No card...and no penalty either! Not a foul according to Mr Magoo :CURSE:. And this was at home remember! Thankfully, I played well and managed to get two more goals, winning 3-1 despite having ten men for most of the game, so I didn't get into a huff :P. Oh, and to support the contention of others in this thread who have puzzled over the way the game rates player performance, Ziliotto got 6.0 and Barota, goal scorer and all round good performer, received 5.5. Maybe I should have got him sent off asap to boost his rating?!?!? I must say I feel aggrieved with the refs a lot in this game; I did 3 fouls in the match and got a red, Sparta did 11 and got nothing! Ok ok, my sending off was fully justified, being a deliberate and vicious foul as the last man, but still...that penalty decision rankled. Also, the computer will often sub a booked player, I've noticed, reducing my chance of getting them sent off. Spoilsports!

I don't know whether to finish the current playthrough at the end of the season, or wait until Barcao retires, or even keep going until Barota hangs up his boots. I want to see how many my primary goal-getters are amassing in all competitions. What I should do at the start of each new ML is get a notepad and keep a tally of all cup goals. Another small frustration is that when players without a club retire, such as ones I've let go, it's not announced in the news at the end of the season, so you don't see their stats (though they wouldn't have been much to shout about for Ximilez in this playthrough, I'm afraid).

EDIT: Having moaned about adverse treatment by referees, I got a very rare boon at home to PSG soon after posting- I was fouled in the penalty area by Mendy twice, scoring both times. The second time though he was given a straight red! This was still early in the game and left them without a right back. The match ended 7-0, very fun. I am through to the final of the D1 cup and into the CL semis (against Milan, who I beat last season in the final), but I am on really bad form and the title is pretty much out of reach now. Of the last five league games, I won one, drew two and lost two. One of the draws was against Rangers, the leading side, which I followed with another defeat. It's barely mathematically possible to win the title now and I've fallen to fourth, so I will try and muster myself for the cup games and not worry too much about doing badly in the league.

Last edited:
I loved the fact that they did the crowd recording by putting the recorder inside a towel in a makeshift hat and sat back away from the crowd. That is just so Konami. :LOL:
It's definitely creative! to be fair the sound design is perfect in the PS2 era and they nailed the crowd atmosphere with the direct approach.

PES 3's sound is electric compared to the PS3 era's and even today's editions. Take a look at this developer documentary for PES 2011, A game that was innovative in many areas but sound wasn't exactly one of them...

Took a little break from PES games, been playing lots of Age of Empires 2, but recently getting back in PES 2008 and 2014 for the PSP. Still mostly playing in exhibition mode with normal form for everyone. I have found this the best experience. Currently playing Euros with England.

Just reached the quarterfinals after smashing Finland 4-1. Now get to face a very tough Italy team!

Took a little break from PES games, been playing lots of Age of Empires 2, but recently getting back in PES 2008 and 2014 for the PSP. Still mostly playing in exhibition mode with normal form for everyone. I have found this the best experience. Currently playing Euros with England.

Just reached the quarterfinals after smashing Finland 4-1. Now get to face a very tough Italy team!
If you like RTS and you computer is in a 2004 level, i suggest you Empire Earth 1 and its expansion EE Art of Conquest. For me, it is the PES 5 of RTS. Imporved all good features of AoE and went some steps ahead. It has some stepbacks of course, but its sequels , EE II and EE II like AoE III too, are prety much bad~unplayable.

Lately I've been toying a bit with Kceo's Jikkyou J. League 1999 - Perfect Striker on the Psx.

What a nice, nice gem of a game it is.

Halfway chapter between ISS 98 and ISS 2000, they never produced a national teams edition for this one (at least that I know of) and it's a bit of a shame.
I think they improved a lot from ISS 98. Less robotic keepers, sharper offensive cpu, through balls more balanced, generally more difficult even if I don't know how much the weird way they mapped controls is influencing my perception.. but fact is, I started a J-League with my Verdy Kawasaky and I'm constantly having my butt kicked.
By the way, even if it's well known for the saga, I'd like to underline again the quantity (and often the quality) of animations there are.. simply overwhelming. For example, I dropped a bit my jaw in front of this:

opposite keeper saving with another reflex from the ground with his feet.. outstanding for a game of that period.
So in the end, a very well shaped and refined edition of that colorful, carefree and still very rich game that Kceo's saga was. I'd dare say that from a pure gameplay point it might simply be the best. Too bad the language barrier united wih the fact there probably weren't that many fans of J-League confined this edition in the dark. Imho it reconnects well with what we were talking about in the Fifa vs Pes thread with Slam- if they put in european clubs and whatnot, who knows what could have happened.
@slamsoze did you played this by the way? :)

It's definitely creative! to be fair the sound design is perfect in the PS2 era and they nailed the crowd atmosphere with the direct approach.

PES 3's sound is electric compared to the PS3 era's and even today's editions. Take a look at this developer documentary for PES 2011, A game that was innovative in many areas but sound wasn't exactly one of them...

n
Lately I've been toying a bit with Kceo's Jikkyou J. League 1999 - Perfect Striker on the Psx.

Halfway chapter between ISS 98 and ISS 2000, they never produced a national teams edition for this one (at least that I know of) and it's a bit of a shame.
I think they improved a lot from ISS 98. Less robotic keepers, sharper offensive cpu, through balls more balanced, generally more difficult even if I don't know how much the weird way they mapped controls is influencing my perception.. but fact is, I started a J-League with my Verdy Kawasaky and I'm constantly having my butt kicked.
By the way, even if it's well known for the saga, I'd like to underline again the quantity (and often the quality) of animations there are.. simply overwhelming. For example, I dropped a bit my jaw in front of this:

opposite keeper saving with another reflex from the ground with his feet.. outstanding for a game of that period.
So in the end, a very well shaped and refined edition of that colorful, carefree and still very rich game that Kceo's saga was. I'd dare say that from a pure gameplay point it might simply be the best. Too bad the language barrier united wih the fact there probably weren't that many fans of J-League confined this edition in the dark. Imho it reconnects well with what we were talking about in the Fifa vs Pes thread with Slam- if they put in european clubs and whatnot, who knows what could have happened.

i have this, but not played it yet. I shall take a look based on your recommendation!

No dude, unfortunatelly i didn't have PSX by that time. Also in Greece up until the E-shops on internet were established casually, around 2005, if someone did not live in Athens or Salonika,( the two biggest cities), it was impossible to have those Asian versions of games, cause nobody in smaller cities was importing such things, in a legal way. The same for the modded or tranaslated early versions of Winning Eleven , you all enjoyed by @fernando here.

I can try it out now though, on emulator ;) I am going to place my οrder in an internet shop!! :D

Odd that this game doesn't appear here.

I happened to be looking at this earlier as I'm putting together a 'tracker' to keep on top of which football games I have and don't. See when you see all the names in front of you, on all the different platforms - it's quite something. I'm going to need a second job and new house for a decent collection.

I'll revisit the KCEO generation one day. I was obsessed with ISS 64 and 98 but when I played them again a year or two ago I thought they hadn't stood the test of time particularly well.

When I see the J-League licenced games from over the years it always makes me think: what if. Can you imagine some of these glorious games throughout the years having a greater number of licences. Sure, it didn't really matter as they were so good to play, and you could even argue that they would have lost some of the charm, but I can't shift that little sense of yearning.

i’m buying an xbox 360 which pes games are worth it? thanks!
For me (bought one friday) Pes 11/12/13/14
Pes 6 is very stripped down on the 360 vs ps2,not any editing options really.
I haven’t tried my Pes 2008 yet,don’t know how it holds up.

I have a soft spot for Pes 12+14 on the 360

For me (bought one friday) Pes 11/12/13/14
Pes 6 is very stripped down on the 360 vs ps2,not any editing options really.
I haven’t tried my Pes 2008 yet,don’t know how it holds up.

I have a soft spot for Pes 12+14 on the 360
Why does the Xbοx keep over time, some distance from editing possibilities?

Why does the Xbοx keep over time, some distance from editing possibilities?
With Pes 6,I think it's just a bad transformation from PS2/pc version.
On the 360 you could import just like on the PS3,but some update stopped that (piracy according to Microsoft)

But the reluctance from Microsoft on XB1 is completely bonkers, especially since you can import stuff in other games

I actually envy the people who can happily play PES unedited. So much easier. Can imagine they're the type of people who don't wear underwear.
I assume i have some mental problems, or i am addicted to something, cause in every sports games, NBA, FIFA, PES, whatever its name is, there is not a possibility, that i will not go to edit mode, to edit even a single wirstband, boots, hairstyles, whatever is possible or allowed by its edit mode.

And i am also a "default-editor whore". I always give priority, to what i can edit from the given game editor and after i may go to thrid party tools.

Remember myself , being less than 11 years old and editing the shirts colours in ISS SNES, some of the most pointless editing you can do in history, given that once you close the SNES console, all the edits were gone!

If you like RTS and you computer is in a 2004 level, i suggest you Empire Earth 1 and its expansion EE Art of Conquest. For me, it is the PES 5 of RTS. Imporved all good features of AoE and went some steps ahead. It has some stepbacks of course, but its sequels , EE II and EE II like AoE III too, are prety much bad~unplayable.

Haha yes my computer is definitely in the 2004 level. Yes, I love RTS games. Have mostly done Starcraft and Age of Empires series, with a touch of Men of War. Never tried Empire Earth, but now I will. Thanks for the recommendation!

So with my England team, we were kicked out in the quarters by Italy, 1-0. Why do they have to be so good defensively!? Nesta, Maldini, and Cannavaro for a choice of CB's... That's insane.

I actually envy the people who can happily play PES unedited. So much easier. Can imagine they're the type of people who don't wear underwear.
Thought about this the other day - not the underwear bit.

PESUniverse posted on Twitter asking "do you care about the Inter/Milan licenses being revoked" - almost as if they want to prove a point on behalf of Konami, along the lines of, "see":

giphy.gif

Anyway, I wrote out a quick response along the lines of "I wouldn't care if they had no licenses, as long as the gameplay is the most realistic it can be". For me personally, it's a case of - screw fun, Football Manager isn't "fun", it's like doing your dream job, and when I'm doing that job, I'm having the absolute best time. Put a controller in my hand and allow me to control those players, and I'll die happy.

I realised, before I pressed "tweet", that actually... I need it to have a great option file, too. I don't care about the licenses, but ONLY because we have an incredible community that is dedicated to fixing, tweaking, improving and recreating everything that it's possible to do, either with the in-game tools or with our own tools (especially for the PC).

If I had to play it as-is... Managing Liverpool B* in the England League... Wearing plain red shirts that look like binbags... In an atmosphere that sounds like someone's left white noise playing on an old TV in the corner of the room... In the same stadium that's used for 17 out of 20 teams in the league... Which is covered in banners saying things like "WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT AND THAT"...

I don't think I could play it, I really don't. It could have the best gameplay in the world and I'd still say "I'll come back when the modders have done something with it".

*At least it's not Merseyside Red any more.

I assume i have some mental problems, or i am addicted to something, cause in every sports games, NBA, FIFA, PES, whatever its name is, there is not a possibility, that i will not go to edit mode, to edit even a single wirstband, boots, hairstyles, whatever is possible or allowed by its edit mode.

And i am also a "default-editor whore". I always give priority, to what i can edit from the given game editor and after i may go to thrid party tools.

Remember myself , being less than 11 years old and editing the shirts colours in ISS SNES, some of the most pointless editing you can do in history, given that once you close the SNES console, all the edits were gone!

It's always been names with me, players and teams. Every new PES game I have the compulsion to correct them before I barely kick a ball.

Hey, the chap who made the famous editor was Compulsion... It's all making sense now. As an aside, all the people in the credits on that page are wonderful.

PESUniverse posted on Twitter asking "do you care about the Inter/Milan licenses being revoked" - almost as if they want to prove a point on behalf of Konami, along the lines of, "see":

giphy.gif

Anyway, I wrote out a quick response along the lines of "I wouldn't care if they had no licenses, as long as the gameplay is the most realistic it can be". For me personally, it's a case of - screw fun, Football Manager isn't "fun", it's like doing your dream job, and when I'm doing that job, I'm having the absolute best time. Put a controller in my hand and allow me to control those players, and I'll die happy.

I realised, before I pressed "tweet", that actually... I need it to have a great option file, too. I don't care about the licenses, but ONLY because we have an incredible community that is dedicated to fixing, tweaking, improving and recreating everything that it's possible to do, either with the in-game tools or with our own tools (especially for the PC).

If I had to play it as-is... Managing Liverpool B* in the England League... Wearing plain red shirts that look like binbags... In an atmosphere that sounds like someone's left white noise playing on an old TV in the corner of the room... In the same stadium that's used for 17 out of 20 teams in the league... Which is covered in banners saying things like "WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT AND THAT"...

I don't think I could play it, I really don't. It could have the best gameplay in the world and I'd still say "I'll come back when the modders have done something with it".

I concur. Certainly after my affair with FIFA I need - while gameplay remains paramount - a good dose of quality visuals to sleep at night.

I'll see your Merseyside Red, and raise you Europort.

If I had to play it as-is... Managing Liverpool B* in the England League... Wearing plain red shirts that look like binbags... In an atmosphere that sounds like someone's left white noise playing on an old TV in the corner of the room... In the same stadium that's used for 17 out of 20 teams in the league... Which is covered in banners saying things like "WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT ETC."

I honestly don't get licensing by clubs for sports games. I mean obviously I get it in the sense of it's pure greed and another way of making even more money but surely allowing their name and anything else related to the club to be included in a video game is a win/win for all involved? Their 'brand' (hate that word in football) gets out there to the world, their kit gets out there and might prompt someone to buy them that otherwise may not have, even the shirt sponsors get free worldwide advertising and brand awareness that they couldn't hope to get for nothing.

Not something you'd get away with now I don't suppose for a minute, but I remember a few years back OOTP Baseball, which is now MLB licensed, didn't have that and came with made up team names. On the team selection screen at the start of the game you could choose to randomise the names and lo and behold on the 3rd click of it (could have been less I can't totally remember) the real team names would appear :)

giphy.gif

I can write tons of comments about all you said Chris. From the banners like "we are here to win" all along to the lovely missing "Who ate all the pies".

Also the names story. Starting with fake Liverpool, that became Europort, that became Merseyside Red, Liverpool again, Liverpool R and why not in the future Mersyside R, StevenGerrardvile R or whatever more complicated again.

Still my biggest questions after pes5 and pes 2014 are, why PES is not an unlimited workshop, where you decide about everything structure and edit wise, how many leagues, how many divisions each league, etc.

Also as a lover of editing, I strongly believe that besides the awesome community, the whatever success of PES lies in the Other Teams C and PEU League in the New games. Without this we could never see all the creativity that community has to deliver.

And I have a deep fear, that if anytime in the future, the Bundesliga returns in PES in any Form, the PEU League will vanish, giving its place, with another cheap excuse about small database, etc..

Last edited:
Not so much playing older games, I've just downloaded a Iran legends team for Pes 2020, take me back to first playing the games with Karimi, Daei, Mahdivikia, Pashazedeh, Kaebi.

Going to play a Asia Cup or something with them for old times sake.

FD

Morning all, I have an odd question/problem that I am hoping one of your retro wizards can help me with.

Basically when I play PES3, the controller mappings are all over the place with L2 being left stick right, circle being triangle for example.
I go in and remap the controller in game and upon exit it says saving option file, the game then plays fine with the remapped controls. This is fine until I exit the game completely back to Windows, the controller mappings then go back to their original madness next time I boot the game up. I have tried manually saving the option file after remapping and ten manually loading it after booting the game up, editing the controls in the settings file before loading the game etc but nothing seems to work.

It only seems to happen with PES3 so I wonder if it is game specific and a known bug? It happens with vanilla version and Wendetta patched version on various different PC's and laptops so I don't think it is a patch or computer specific problem. I have even installed it in a different location to try and make sure I have full permissions in the install location but no change. PES4, 5 & 6 don't seem to have this issue, only PES3 which is a shame as I prefer it over those others.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Russ

Morning all, I have an odd question/problem that I am hoping one of your retro wizards can help me with.

Basically when I play PES3, the controller mappings are all over the place with L2 being left stick right, circle being triangle for example.
I go in and remap the controller in game and upon exit it says saving option file, the game then plays fine with the remapped controls. This is fine until I exit the game completely back to Windows, the controller mappings then go back to their original madness next time I boot the game up. I have tried manually saving the option file after remapping and ten manually loading it after booting the game up, editing the controls in the settings file before loading the game etc but nothing seems to work.

It only seems to happen with PES3 so I wonder if it is game specific and a known bug? It happens with vanilla version and Wendetta patched version on various different PC's and laptops so I don't think it is a patch or computer specific problem. I have even installed it in a different location to try and make sure I have full permissions in the install location but no change. PES4, 5 & 6 don't seem to have this issue, only PES3 which is a shame as I prefer it over those others.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Russ
Do you use any kitserver?

Do you use any kitserver?
The Wendetta one comes with kitserver installed but I had a similar problem on my old PC with the vanilla version, I may be misremembering and it was semi vanilla (is that a thing) with just badges, names & kits added, not sure now. Is it kitserver related then do you think?

The Wendetta one comes with kitserver installed but I had a similar problem on my old PC with the vanilla version, I may be misremembering and it was semi vanilla (is that a thing) with just badges, names & kits added, not sure now. Is it kitserver related then do you think?
I am not sure. I try to make a doctor's conclusion.
I had similar problem in Wendetta with inner resolution, cause the kitserver config has a line about forcing resolution.
Assuming that resolution and button config is linked to settings.exe, maybe there is a line in kcfg about controller?

Then it can be your controller if you use one. I use keyboard for retro pes. Maybe your game pad confuses things with Dinpit and xinput.

Then maybe something from system files of your pes is "read only"? And while you save in game, when you exit it reverts.

There can be many causes. Maybe you have several PES 3 versions and files get confused.

For me if you can't solve it, remove all pes3 games, make sure to delete manually any leftovers manually, then install a clean pes3 game and check how it behaves.

8f it works OK, it has to do with something from patch. If it continues, it has to do with your windows software and the system settings file. Maybe you need set the compatibility to winXP, if you are on windows 10, etc.

Back
Top Bottom