The Retro-PES Corner

Cool, thankyou for your suggestions. I will give them a go and hopefully one of them will fix the issue.

Thankyou again

Russ

Anyone have a recent-ish update for PES that has J.League/CSL and maybe the AFC Champions League? As much as I like the classic World Cup and retro patches, I tend to have more fun going in on a Master League in a part of the world I don't know too much about the leagues. I see some good Brazilian ones, that could be a decent option too.

@breezy: I'm not sure I understood your post, but perhaps you'd like any of the J-League Club Championship games for the PS2...? You're able to use the Japanese football environment to play a ML, plus it has all the Japanese stadiums as well.

If you enjoy PES6, me and @mattmid created something a while ago called Project Odyssey, a collection of modern, obscure leagues for one to install on PES6 PC. In each of those files we only updated one league at the time, so it's definitely not recommended for a ML save, but a League/cup. If you'd like to explore Denmark's 2nd division, Georgia's top tier or an entire database filled with realistic Youth clubs from all over the world, you'll surely enjoy it.

----

I can't abandon PES2. I don't know how many months I've been playing this game without inserting anything else on the PS2 tray but my love for it grows everyday.

Nowadays I'm playing International and European Cups with randomly chosen teams, which not only provides fresh, interesting challenges every time but it's also building up my knowledge about the game's database itself - this will come in handy for when I finally dip my toe in a proper ML; starting with the ML Defaults on the ephemeral Division 3 must be a wonderful thing...

I could tell many stories about my recent experiences, as this game never disappoints when it comes to providing endless drama, yet it does so in a way that feels realistic, not forced. Surely the most interesting I could tell is mentioning in a private conversation with @*aLe that ISS Pro Evolution's Ponto Vera (fake name for Portuguese striker João Pinto) was a superstar on my ISS PE experience, though in real life he was far from being a world class player; well, one day later after mentioning it I play as Italy on the International Cup's Round of 16 against Portugal and João Pinto scores the first goal - never mind my defensive trio is Maldini, Cannavaro and Nesta, Buffon in goal...later on Del Piero scores the 1-1, the match goes to extra time...and guess who scores again: Ponto Vera, João Pinto himself - and because of the Golden Goal rule, Italy's out of the World Cup.

So far, despite having utilized the likes of Italy, France and England, I haven't won a single WC/Euro, and the best I could do was reaching the Semifinals once with France.

Currently I'm playing a Euro Cup with Portugal. Our group of death was Italy, England and Northern Ireland. N. Ireland somehow managed to win their first match against England, and Portugal thrashes Italy 4-0. On the 2nd fixture we win vs. England and grabbed another vs. N. Ireland, winning the group in the end.

Euro Cup quarter-finals vs. Norway, and this happens...:

IMG_1013.JPG

my biggest PES2 win so far. Norway's CB Berg was sent of on the 12th minute and because Norway was already losing by 2 at that point, I don't think they bothered to sub in another CB for until the end of the match their defensive structure was completely broken; Nuno Gomes, Pauleta and Rui Costa had a field day there.

Semifinals against Netherlands: we grabbed an early 2-0 lead, waste it with a Netherlands goal on the very last minute of the match, to ET we go and then the unthinkable happens. While it was still 2-1, I decided to sub off Figo for Dimas, typically a left-back, who was now going to play as a kind of RMF, helping Frechaut the RB defend the wing against the ever-dangerous Overmars - who's certainly one of the most exciting players of this game when controlled by the CPU. After that particular sub and a couple of other also defensive-minded replacements, we concede, so we have to go to ET with an ultra-defensive team.
Now, we're on ET, Netherlands is attacking but we get the ball back. Dimas gets the ball and goes on a heroic (and for him, totally unusual...) solo run on a deserted right side, before Davids fouls him on the side of the box. He takes the free kick and, who's going to header it...? SImão Sabrosa, one of the shortest players on the pitch, the ball hits the bar and it's in; Golden Goal, Portugal wins!

The final will be against...France. Of course it had to be France.

8-1, nice :) I vaguely remember a Joao Pinto from the Sensible Soccer days, purely from him being in the Portugal national team line up, I had assumed he was pretty good, but apparently not as good as his computer game alter ego :).

rsl1, I love the Forest badge, it takes me back to my very dim memories of opening packets of Panini stickers from the shop after Junior school :) One of my good mates was a supporter, it was a shame they went down mid/late nineties. Just checked, they actually went down and came back up a few times in that decade! Bit of a rollercoaster. First time they came back up, in 94/95, they achieved a fantastic 3rd place finish, but Collymore left at the end of the season for Liverpool and things never looked as rosy again.

I ended my last playthrough after the 2013 season. I can't remember exactly where I ended in the league in that year, but it was something like 3rd or 5th. I won the D1 cup though. I actually began the next season, but played one match (badly, lost it!) and realised my heart wasn't in it. Minanda had retired the previous year with 72 goals in ~235 games for the club, and made 40 odd assists. A fine tally for a man whose career under me only started at age 34!

I started a new game with a newly designed team, who I gave a snazzy red and white kit, but this time I didn't give them any new starting players. Playing at the Orange Stadium, I was trying to gain promotion to the English Division 1. I was focused on keeping in mind that my opponents all had stronger squads, so I was careful in my play and tried (mostly successfully) not to pass it about too much at the back. A more direct and quick passing style really helped me actually; a well placed long ball that can be headed down or subsequently crossed early can catch the defence unawares, something that my play could have benefitted from before. Early on, Aston Villa seemed the favourites to go up, but they started wobbling mid-season. I was getting better and better, losing very few games and in the end, I actually won the league! I was surprised for my first season, having only bought one player at Christmas (Ostwaut) to bolster the squad in terms of numbers, but I think that being the weaker squad without highly talented individuals to lean on, and accepting that I would lose or simply not manage to create anything sometimes or have to hoof it a lot, actually made me play much better football. 34 year old Huylens netted 11 league goals in the 14 games! I got nowhere in the cup, mind you, not even scoring.

Who joined me on the way up? Aston Villa, after a late season return to form. They went up at the expense of Middlesborough on goal difference, after the latter team surprisingly lost at home to a Dutch minnow. My second season, in D1, went brilliantly as well. Over the summer I bought Mauro Silva for defence and defensive midfield, an excitingly talented young Argentine forward/winger named Orellano, and an English left winger name Murray. I started off with a 1-0 defeat against Spurs, but I had played quite well and it was only trying to play it out of defence that gave them the chance to set up Robbie Keane that let me down. I knew I was good enough to hold my own from then on. A surprising 1-0 victory over Man United, courtesy of Minanda slipping it through to send Castolo goalward, followed a few games later. I lost to Chelsea due to another lapse of concentration, and Arsenal and Liverpool played some great football to put me in my place, but I suffered few other defeats all season. Huylens had another great year, scoring 15- second only to Henry with 19. At Christmas, I had loaned O'Brien, a big Irish defender, from Portsmouth (they are still in D2), to bolster my squad numbers. Like Silva, he quickly became a first choice player.

I finished an impressive second in my first year in the top flight, beating Liverpool on the last day of the season with a Minanda free-kick (his only goal!) to leap frog past them by a point. Chelsea were runaway winners of the title, but the following pack were rather close together. My fellow promotees, Villa, struggled early on but rallied after a while and finished midtable. I sneaked through all the way to the final of the D1 cup, but Arsenal put paid to my hopes of a trophy with a late goal.

This season, the third, I bought O'Brien outright for defence, added a Dutchman who can play pretty much anywhere in midfield to cover tired players (Guijt, again taken from a D2 side), and another 17 year old, this time a Spaniard name Palaez, for the left midfield/wing roles. I am in the Champions League this season after all, and may be in need of more spare players due to exhaustion, and they look like good prospects. After a great opening few games (beat Chelsea 4-1), I've struggled to play well or score, yet as Christmas approaches I am fourth. Luckily, the big teams have all had variable form, including Chelsea, so there is only one point between first and fourth. Makes it much more interesting too. I am doing well in the Champions League group so far, but have already exited the D1 cup to Villa. I don't think Huylens is going to repeat his fantastic feat of 15 goals this season, but he has 4 as we approach the break, including a hat-trick against newly promoted NAC Breda. This little Dutch team has been something of a giant killer, getting draws and even wins against the top sides, but I found them comfortingly easy to beat as I had in my D2 season. Huylens is 36 this season, so the fact that he is still effective for me after his first two fantastic years is to be appreciated. If my form picks up again, maybe I can reach double figures with him this season too.

When buying new players in this playthrough, I am going to try and get English players if I can, since I am an English side. Once I'm finished, I've considered buying PES 2008- I bought it 12 years back, but really didn't get into it. Didn't enjoy the feel, and was not very good at it. But I have been inspired by this thread to consider giving it another try. Back then, I had a real problem getting forward and scoring.

Last edited:
@*aLe if it helps, I've found PESEdit patches for their original season in pesnewupdate.com (it includes PES2010, PES2011, PES2012 and PES2013)
Here are the links
PES2010: https://www.pesnewupdate.com/2020/07/pes-2010-peseditcom-2010-patch.html
PES2011: https://www.pesnewupdate.com/2018/07/pes-2011-peseditcom-2011-patch-2011.html
PES2012: https://www.pesnewupdate.com/2020/07/pes-2012-peseditcom-2012-patch.html
PES2012 (same but with EURO2012): https://www.pesnewupdate.com/2019/08/pes-2012-peseditcom-2012-euro-2012-patch-add-on.html
PES2013: https://www.pesnewupdate.com/2016/04/peseditcom-2013-patch-pes-2013.html

I'm currently playing the first PES2012 link I gave you and it's fantastic. I've also tested the 2013 one in the past and it's algo preeetty good, so I assume the 2010 and 2011 ones work perfectly too. If you want links for the respective games, you can check gamezfull.com (it's in Spanish but you can search for 'Pro Evolution Soccer XXXX' and it should show up.

EDIT: I've also found the PES2010 World Cup and PES2013 Brazil World Cup patches there, you can find maaany old patches there from different seasons, it's wonderful.

Cool, thankyou for your suggestions. I will give them a go and hopefully one of them will fix the issue.

Thankyou again

Russ

When I was making my option file I had issues with there being the two files, one in program files and another in Virtual Store, which I understand is created when you run in Compatibility Mode. It seemed to load either one at random. To find where the game was saving to I'd delete both, launch the game, save an option file and then check both locations to see where it fancied saving it that week. Seems one overrides the other sometimes and I'm too stupid to know why, but I found a way.

I can't abandon PES2. I don't know how many months I've been playing this game without inserting anything else on the PS2 tray but my love for it grows everyday.

Nowadays I'm playing International and European Cups with randomly chosen teams, which not only provides fresh, interesting challenges every time but it's also building up my knowledge about the game's database itself - this will come in handy for when I finally dip my toe in a proper ML; starting with the ML Defaults on the ephemeral Division 3 must be a wonderful thing...

I could tell many stories about my recent experiences, as this game never disappoints when it comes to providing endless drama, yet it does so in a way that feels realistic, not forced. Surely the most interesting I could tell is mentioning in a private conversation with @*aLe that ISS Pro Evolution's Ponto Vera (fake name for Portuguese striker João Pinto) was a superstar on my ISS PE experience, though in real life he was far from being a world class player; well, one day later after mentioning it I play as Italy on the International Cup's Round of 16 against Portugal and João Pinto scores the first goal - never mind my defensive trio is Maldini, Cannavaro and Nesta, Buffon in goal...later on Del Piero scores the 1-1, the match goes to extra time...and guess who scores again: Ponto Vera, João Pinto himself - and because of the Golden Goal rule, Italy's out of the World Cup.

So far, despite having utilized the likes of Italy, France and England, I haven't won a single WC/Euro, and the best I could do was reaching the Semifinals once with France.

Currently I'm playing a Euro Cup with Portugal. Our group of death was Italy, England and Northern Ireland. N. Ireland somehow managed to win their first match against England, and Portugal thrashes Italy 4-0. On the 2nd fixture we win vs. England and grabbed another vs. N. Ireland, winning the group in the end.

Euro Cup quarter-finals vs. Norway, and this happens...:

View attachment 51148

my biggest PES2 win so far. Norway's CB Berg was sent of on the 12th minute and because Norway was already losing by 2 at that point, I don't think they bothered to sub in another CB for until the end of the match their defensive structure was completely broken; Nuno Gomes, Pauleta and Rui Costa had a field day there.

Semifinals against Netherlands: we grabbed an early 2-0 lead, waste it with a Netherlands goal on the very last minute of the match, to ET we go and then the unthinkable happens. While it was still 2-1, I decided to sub off Figo for Dimas, typically a left-back, who was now going to play as a kind of RMF, helping Frechaut the RB defend the wing against the ever-dangerous Overmars - who's certainly one of the most exciting players of this game when controlled by the CPU. After that particular sub and a couple of other also defensive-minded replacements, we concede, so we have to go to ET with an ultra-defensive team.
Now, we're on ET, Netherlands is attacking but we get the ball back. Dimas gets the ball and goes on a heroic (and for him, totally unusual...) solo run on a deserted right side, before Davids fouls him on the side of the box. He takes the free kick and, who's going to header it...? SImão Sabrosa, one of the shortest players on the pitch, the ball hits the bar and it's in; Golden Goal, Portugal wins!

The final will be against...France. Of course it had to be France.

It feels mad typing it, but I'm starting to think PES2 is my favourite. I saw 'completing' my Master League as winning the top division (check), the playoffs (check) and rebuilding the full Barcelona squad (check). My plan was to 'complete' my ML and move on to one of the myriad older games I've bought in lockdown. But I still don't feel ready to put PES2 down. The temptation is to play on and try to win the treble in my current save, or start a completely new one. Maybe even creating Aberdeen to do so. Well and truly hooked.

I could play another game and go back to PES2 in future, of course. That's the beauty of the retro games - they're already dated. They're not going anywhere. Their relevance is locked in.

Thanks to the mods for making this thread sticky, nice move!

@Flipper the Priest: So I'm not the only one, I'm glad I'm not going crazy. I still can't put a finger on what it is it but this game has some kind of magic. It's beyond mere nostalgia at this point, for though this was my first PES on the PS2, it was also the PS2 PES title I played the less - and by a long margin.

Yep, that's one of the great things about retro, and particularly retro-PES games: when you play a modern one, you're both trying to enjoy it as well as trying to figure out its issues, so that you can do your small part in helping developers the game improve in the future. But a game of, say, PES2 is a honest deal: enjoy it for what it brings to the table, or if you don't, don't play it. What are you going to do if you don't like it: post on the forums that you didn't like playing an almost-20 year-old title? Well, ok buddy. Complain to Konami that Rui Costa's hair is shorter than it should've been and they should fix it for the next version? Well, spoiler alert: they won't...

This is why this thread is remarkably positive - especially when considering how elsewhere the "cult of PES" is and has been for a long time in a deep crisis, the fans angry about the game and its developers -: it's because he who enjoys retro-PES titles is compelled to participate in our discussion; he who doesn't, moves on, for he would look like a complete fool criticizing a game from 2001.

----

QakpRPz.jpg

Portugal wins 3-2 vs France and conquers the Euro Cup!

Nuno Gomes scored the 1-0 on the first 15 seconds of the match, surely my quickest PES2 goal so far. Back and forth we go and on the last 10 mins, it's 2-2. 80-something minutes in: Rui Jorge crosses it from the left and Figo jumps higher than Lizarazu and beats Barthez, who surely could've done more for he saves it, the ball hits the post, hits him again and goes in: the goal awards Portugal's "Geração de Ouro" a well-deserved title! Shockingly, the decisive goal is scored by a player who in theory should've been our undisputed leader on the pitch, but for some reason I just can't get anything out of Figo both on the NT and on Real Madrid's Galacticos squad. In this save he was very important for us...defensively, go figure. Then, when I was considering replacing him for Ponto Vera, he finally appears on the offensive side with this goal.

Check out the top scorers of this Euro Cup. Nuno Gomes absolutely pulverized the competition, and all the big names from Trad Brick to Cataluña are trying to sign him. Just imagine a Nuno Gomes-Oranges038 duo playing every other week on the legendary Trad Brick Stadium...

yoIcaUM.jpg

Yet, on the very next match, as I thought for the 745th time "Wait, am I...finally...getting good at this PES2 thing...?", I'm Chile against Colombia for the Copa America and this happens...:

OYt4qGC.jpg

Just got pes 14(xbox 360) this morning but unfortunately it doesn't want to load. It installs to 45 percent then i get "the disk is dirty" message 😔.

Just got pes 14(xbox 360) this morning but unfortunately it doesn't want to load. It installs to 45 percent then i get "the disk is dirty" message 😔.
Was it second hand? If not, go on for a refund or product replacement.
If yes, i can only suggest one obvious solution, take a disk cleaning spray.

...Or some crazy dark age spells like, rub the disk with toothpaste, rub the disk with cleaning liquid for glasses-windows, open up half the console cascet and let the cd-drive spin the disk "half-naked", rub the disk on your shirt, rub the disk on a sweater, open the console cascet and spin the disk with your hands as it is spinning by itself (like a DJ!), and much much more.... :D

True story sidenote: All of the above tips had worked in an old PS2 my best mate had, during late years of its lifespan!! :P :P :D

Was it second hand? If not, go on for a refund or product replacement.
If yes, i can only suggest one obvious solution, take a disk cleaning spray.

...Or some crazy dark age spells like, rub the disk with toothpaste, rub the disk with cleaning liquid for glasses-windows, open up half the console cascet and let the cd-drive spin the disk "half-naked", rub the disk on your shirt, rub the disk on a sweater, open the console cascet and spin the disk with your hands as it is spinning by itself (like a DJ!), and much much more.... :D

True story sidenote: All of the above tips had worked in an old PS2 my best mate had, during late years of its lifespan!! :P :P :D
It was second hand, the store i bought it from said i can bring it in for a buff(hopefully that does the trick). Ive even read that peanut butter works 😂. I would have tried the toothpaste but i only have enough to brush my teeth tonight and tommorow morning 😂 😂 😂

I forgot to mention something interesting that happened yesterday- I scored a ridiculous goal from near the halfway line. Iouga, making a rare appearance in the squad, came upon a loose ball and tried to hit a long, curling pass forward. It bypassed all the defenders, and bounced in front of Tottenham keeper Robinson, who for some reason found it impossible to deal with, and it bounced over him and into the net! By far my longest range goal ever, an amusing one too but rather unsatisfying because it was so glitchy. The ball cannoned off Iouga's knee at an improbable speed, yet it should have been a fairly easy catch for Robinson. I can only presume the weird, curving trajectory and strong bounce perplexed him a bit. He did that strange jerky shuffling of the feet the keeper sometimes does when he is unsure of whether to come for it. The sort of shuffling that mine often does when I've tried to pass it back to him, and instead the opposing striker slots it in....

I've been playing awfully since yesterday, gone right off the boil. I have only scored 6 in the last 9 games, and one of them was a total fluke (2 Charlton defenders competed to head my cross away, their keeper dived across the goal in anticipation of it going in, allowing Macco to chest it down and hit it into an open net from three feet away). I am out of the Champions League, though I forced Barcelona into extra time in the quarters. I've dropped to fourth, and it looks as though Chelsea are going to win the title again. Worst thing is though I seem to have forgotten how to play the good football I was playing for the first two seasons. I was already scoring worryingly few this year, but after Christmas it quickly got worse. I think I need a rest from it.

@gabe.paul.logan: It was, but it's so good it's worth being posted again!

@Early PES footy fan: I always enjoy reading your reports. About PES08, which version are you considering? While the newgen one was THE disappointment of the PES series, PES08 for the PS2 is already a classic on this thread, surely one of the best PESes ever that few ever got around to play.

I only have my PC now, and the PC one is the version I played before (PES 5 was the last one I bought on PS2 because the loading times were feeling onerous compared to my PC versions, though the precision of passing on PC versions of PES always felt slightly inferior to those on the PS2), so I was just going to get the PC version. I have a feeling I would regret buying it, but I want to give it another chance!

Thanks to the mods for making this thread sticky, nice move!

@Flipper the Priest: So I'm not the only one, I'm glad I'm not going crazy. I still can't put a finger on what it is it but this game has some kind of magic. It's beyond mere nostalgia at this point, for though this was my first PES on the PS2, it was also the PS2 PES title I played the less - and by a long margin.

Yep, that's one of the great things about retro, and particularly retro-PES games: when you play a modern one, you're both trying to enjoy it as well as trying to figure out its issues, so that you can do your small part in helping developers the game improve in the future. But a game of, say, PES2 is a honest deal: enjoy it for what it brings to the table, or if you don't, don't play it. What are you going to do if you don't like it: post on the forums that you didn't like playing an almost-20 year-old title? Well, ok buddy. Complain to Konami that Rui Costa's hair is shorter than it should've been and they should fix it for the next version? Well, spoiler alert: they won't...

This is why this thread is remarkably positive - especially when considering how elsewhere the "cult of PES" is and has been for a long time in a deep crisis, the fans angry about the game and its developers -: it's because he who enjoys retro-PES titles is compelled to participate in our discussion; he who doesn't, moves on, for he would look like a complete fool criticizing a game from 2001.

Well put!

Because football games of the last three years especially have been underwhelming, I've had a sense of obligation to 'get it while it's hot' and play a game that isn't particularly enjoyable because it's new and up-to-date. There's been a feeling of relief in the summers of 2018, 2019 and 2020 when I feel I can legitimately retire the respective FIFA and PES titles and never see them again as they're dated. For the older games it's different. Time has a liberating effect. They become free of the weight of expectation to be current and their enduring qualities shine through.

I did play a lot of PES2 at the time. It helped that it was my last PES before I could (legally) drink so it had more Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights compared to its successors. But my memory has done it a disservice. I always had PES3 as the first refined and fluid title on the PS2 and while I think it is more so than PES2 on both counts, PES2 has its own charms that make it a sensational game in its own right.

One of the things that makes it great is the number of moments of high anticipation. You get plenty of one on ones, free kicks and loose balls around goal, so the excitement isn't the reserve only of scoring but also having plenty of chances. The CPU defence is a little cavalier but not always, and quicker defenders are a nightmare to work around. And I think the keepers are excellent. The animations are brilliant, especially when they get down low and tip it away.

I only have my PC now, and the PC one is the version I played before (PES 5 was the last one I bought on PS2 because the loading times were feeling onerous compared to my PC versions, though the precision of passing on PC versions of PES always felt slightly inferior to those on the PS2), so I was just going to get the PC version. I have a feeling I would regret buying it, but I want to give it another chance!

Not too long ago I posted about rekindling my brief, rocky relationship with newgen PES 2008. TL;DR - I hated it not for the game it was but for not being the game I expected it to be.

need help, why stadium in my PES 2013 not work? Im insert new san mames and andfield, but the game keep using the default stadium
i feel so desperate since nothing article that not explain about this, i feel cursed lol

need help, why stadium in my PES 2013 not work? Im insert new san mames and andfield, but the game keep using the default stadium
i feel so desperate since nothing article that not explain about this, i feel cursed lol
Did you checked the text lines in the kitserver?

I have a question about PES 2011.
I have it on xbox 360 and am enjoying it, the master league but no patches etc is a bit annoying so I wanted to try and get it for PC. It seems like 2013 but with less floaty ball physics so am liking it a lot.
I am not trying to navigate around the piracy stance on these forums as I respect and agree with them. I just wondered if there is any way to get the PC version now as I couldn't find anything at all when searching the web yesterday.

Any help will be appreciated as I would really like to try it with a full patch as I am finding the gameplay really fun.

I have a question about PES 2011.
I have it on xbox 360 and am enjoying it, the master league but no patches etc is a bit annoying so I wanted to try and get it for PC. It seems like 2013 but with less floaty ball physics so am liking it a lot.
I am not trying to navigate around the piracy stance on these forums as I respect and agree with them. I just wondered if there is any way to get the PC version now as I couldn't find anything at all when searching the web yesterday.

Any help will be appreciated as I would really like to try it with a full patch as I am finding the gameplay really fun.
If you don't have a disk, or you don't have anyone to lend you one, then this is the only way, the one you have in your mind.

It has been stated in pes 2014 topic, that it can stand since it is considered abondonware.

Other way maybe to go for a shopping safari. I think in UK you have those stores Gamestop or what's it called, which for us in the rest Europe sounds like the paradise, a market having secondhand games of all platforms, consoles, ages, etc

If you don't have a disk, or you don't have anyone to lend you one, then this is the only way, the one you have in your mind.

It has been stated in pes 2014 topic, that it can stand since it is considered abondonware.

Other way maybe to go for a shopping safari. I think in UK you have those stores Gamestop or what's it called, which for us in the rest Europe sounds like the paradise, a market having secondhand games of all platforms, consoles, ages, etc
Yeah we have quite a few 2nd hand game shops - that's where I got the xbox 360 version from but there isn't really a resale market fir PC games as they tend to be one time use/digital codes even if you buy the 'box' version these days.

I am curious to see how it plays on PC as it plays nicely on xbox 360, with better resolution & patches I am thinking it would be even more enjoyable.

I am struggling to find it legally but even through less wholesome means it doesn't seem to be readily available.

Yeah we have quite a few 2nd hand game shops - that's where I got the xbox 360 version from but there isn't really a resale market fir PC games as they tend to be one time use/digital codes even if you buy the 'box' version these days.

I am curious to see how it plays on PC as it plays nicely on xbox 360, with better resolution & patches I am thinking it would be even more enjoyable.

I am struggling to find it legally but even through less wholesome means it doesn't seem to be readily available.

How about this? Looks brand spanking.

It's funny you should compare 2011 and 2013. I've been flitting between 2008 -2014 over the past few weeks and have landed on 2013, starting a ML a couple of days ago. I found 2011 to be floatier - it really is a game of opinions!

PS: I'm now feeling inspired so you're all getting a ranking. My PS3 PES chart:

1. 2013
2. 2012
3. 2014
4. 2009
5. 2011
6. 2008
7. 2010

How about this? Looks brand spanking.

It's funny you should compare 2011 and 2013. I've been flitting between 2008 -2014 over the past few weeks and have landed on 2013, starting a ML a couple of days ago. I found 2011 to be floatier - it really is a game of opinions!

PS: I'm now feeling inspired so you're all getting a ranking. My PS3 PES chart:

1. 2013
2. 2012
3. 2014
4. 2009
5. 2011
6. 2008
7. 2010

Cool, thankyou. As I am a bit disappointed with the new UFC beta I might save my money I had earmarked for that and buy this instead...

If I get it brand new will there be anyway to get the official updates do you think? In the past I have only bought digital versions of old games and they always come bundled with the download but as this is disk I am not sure how to/if I can get them?

2013 is an odd one for me, sometimes I like it a lot but my 2 main bugs are the way the ball feels floaty when shooting (to me anyway) and the sprint animation has always seemed off to me on that particular game, it's like you can see that it is made up of a short animation that is looped. I know that is the case for all sprint animations but I find it quite jarring in 2013 especially, it doesn't seem as bad in 2011 even though the 2 games look quite similar. 2011 has some collision weirdness going on but I liked that it feels a bit more random (so far) and less scripted. That may well change but they are my thoughts at the moment

Cool, thankyou. As I am a bit disappointed with the new UFC beta I might save my money I had earmarked for that and buy this instead...

If I get it brand new will there be anyway to get the official updates do you think? In the past I have only bought digital versions of old games and they always come bundled with the download but as this is disk I am not sure how to/if I can get them?

2013 is an odd one for me, sometimes I like it a lot but my 2 main bugs are the way the ball feels floaty when shooting (to me anyway) and the sprint animation has always seemed off to me on that particular game, it's like you can see that it is made up of a short animation that is looped. I know that is the case for all sprint animations but I find it quite jarring in 2013 especially, it doesn't seem as bad in 2011 even though the 2 games look quite similar. 2011 has some collision weirdness going on but I liked that it feels a bit more random (so far) and less scripted. That may well change but they are my thoughts at the moment
If you ask me 19 £, I assume more than 25€ seems to much for a 10 Years old game.

But if it sealed at least seems good deal, taking in mind that almost everybody in the internet has become, like those guys from Discovery Channel that buy old things for 100$ and sell them for 3,000$ while whining that they don't get any profit.

As for the updates, nope, I think you get either 1.00 or 1.01 without DP.

I agree that is a lot for a 10 year old game.
I found it cheaper (£10), also brand new but in Italian, if you can change the language then that might work.
I have just realised that both my new laptop and my powerful desktop don't have disk drives though lol. My old laptop does so I guess I could turn it into an iso file on that if I can find a no dvd exe somewhere, it may be that one of the patches has one included anyway to be fair.
The things we go through to get a decent football fix lol...

I'm really not au fait with PC versions whatsoever. I know on PS3 you can still download the most recent official patches but not the data packs, which is annoying. But then I imagine you'll have more flexibility on PC to install them manually, if you can find them, that is.

I'll give you that, the shooting is floaty and the sprinting animation is unusual in 2013, but I think they're afflictions suffered by most PESes of the generation.

Given that in the past year (give or take) I've played [counts] 28 of the 36 PES games available across all four PlayStations, I've noticed the evolution of shooting and sprinting in the series.

Shooting floatiness is introduced in PES4, is taken up a notch on the PS3 series, and carries into the PS4 where you're then given a choice of super floaty or Exocet missile.

Sprinting deteriorates in the PS3 canon, with a diving boot given to each player for 2010. Come the PS4 they've been appointed a second diving boot and, by PES 2020, sludge pitches upon which they mince like they're holding in a shit.

All points to my fondness for PES3 and my newfound love for PES2. You can sprint, Burchet-on-a-red-arrow-and-maybe-MDMA sprint, and then hammer or curl a shot as you wish. Wide of the goal, in Burchet's case.

Back
Top Bottom