The Retro-PES Corner

I've been trying to create basic option files for early PES/Winning Eleven games recently and oh boy is it frustrating.

Champ Man databases, Transfermarkt, Wikipedia etc all considered, some players are just impossible to identify. I swear when it comes to Iran, China and Saudi Arabia especially the devs just got pissed and fired blind with names, positions, heights, weights and ages.

They still do it today in moderns games, for some Asian, African and American NT's.

I know from editing the PS3 games in the last few months that it didn't get much easier over time. Thankfully, the increasingly obscure naming was somewhat balanced by the positions, ages and heights being a little more reliable as time went on. But not as reliable as it should've been!

What's annoying is when there's what looks to be a suitable player but the name is miles off. So while all the stats look right you know - in the eyes of the madman who dreamt up the names - you're wrong.

In PES you find Borertson. Centre back, 23 years old, 183cm tall.

In Champ Man/Transfermarkt you find Thompson. Centre back, 23 years old, 183cm tall.

But then you also find Robertson. Defensive midfielder, 24 years old, 189cm tall.

Borertson has to be Robertson, right? But then Thompson has all the right detail? [head explodes] You basically have to decipher what Konami has gotten wrong and how wrong.

I know from editing the PS3 games in the last few months that it didn't get much easier over time. Thankfully, the increasingly obscure naming was somewhat balanced by the positions, ages and heights being a little more reliable as time went on. But not as reliable as it should've been!

What's annoying is when there's what looks to be a suitable player but the name is miles off. So while all the stats look right you know - in the eyes of the madman who dreamt up the names - you're wrong.

In PES you find Borertson. Centre back, 23 years old, 183cm tall.

In Champ Man/Transfermarkt you find Thompson. Centre back, 23 years old, 183cm tall.

But then you also find Robertson. Defensive midfielder, 24 years old, 189cm tall.

Borertson has to be Robertson, right? But then Thompson has all the right detail? [head explodes] You basically have to decipher what Konami has gotten wrong and how wrong.
If you go to PES2020 realnames thread, there are many posts about Jordan NT fake players etc. @vialli82 has set some standards and found patterns, when Konami creates an " unknown" player, they use some norms, like Unknown European =1,80m and 80 kg, unknown Latino American = 1,75 and 75 kg, etc.
That's why in modern PES in Liga Chilean you can find many youngster being GK, CB and all 1,75 or 1,70 for example. I assume it was similar in the classic era.
Also for some players I can find different details height/weight among soccer way, transfer Markt and Wikipedia. What I noticed is, that as the database teams vary nowadays, it all depends on which site they trust.
For example if the team that created the Russian league trusted Transfermarkt, you can see they use always that info. But then you go to fix the Belgian league and you see that their info was taken from Soccerway. And this goes on. And all this in modern Era, imagine when you search for the past, how more difficult it is.
IE I have this problem with M. Arteta who is neither unknown nor played for an unknown team/league. On pes 2017 he is 1,83, on PES 2016 he is 1,75. Around network I ve seen various heights, on different database sites, regarding artera, who is a well known player. Image now searching a youngster from Fortuna Sittard youth team for example. It is stiil very difficult.
What I wonder is, why there is not an official statistics mining service from FIFA or UEfA in Europe, that will have only one duty, to travel around or have regional departments and collect info on all players, in order to create a global database, like a FIFA stats museum.
So we will never argue again, if KoulibLy of Napoli is 1,80 or 1,90.

Last edited:
About three quarters of the way through my 2016 season of PES 5 ML, I got a bit bored. I had just suffered my first league defeat of the season which wound me up, but it would be hard for me not to win the title within a few games because no other team has been particularly consistent. It's my twelfth season, eleventh of being in Division 1, and having become a first choice striker after the retirement of Castolo six years back, Ordaz has now found his way onto the list of all-time top scorers. My Spaniard has an impressive 177 in all competitions; 40 in the D1 cup, 34 in the C.L and the rest in the league. It seems a fitting time to stop with that ML.

I've begun a new ML- and created a new side called Hurricanes (anyone remember a UK kid's cartoon about a football team called The Hurricanes, in the early 90s? That's the inspiration :P). So far, so good. I put Ajax and Werder Bremen in Div 2 with me to make it more interesting, and to keep these good teams in the game.

I like having three forwards, and it suits the squad considering Burchet and Macco are both pacy WFs. My starting eleven is:

GK: Ivarov
CB: Stremer
CB: Jaric
LB: Ruskin
RB: Valeny
DMF: Iouga
CMF: Espimas
AMF: Minanda
LWF: Ximilez
RWF: Burchet
CF: Huylens

I started off very well, winning my first four games, before going on a streak of mediocrity in the league that threatened to derail everything; 2 draws followed by 3 straight defeats. I bought Nachdecal mid-season to provide cover for Valeny at full back, but wasn't able to tempt Ostwaut to join me even for a very generous pay packet. I got my act together late in the winter, and began winning again. I had beaten Werder both times, and drew with Ajax in our first encounter. Second time round, I took an early lead from a spot kick, before succumbing to two late goals from the Dutch. Had I won, they probably wouldn't have been promoted (this was with two or three games remaining). It left me third but there was only one point between first and fifth, so I wasn't panicking. I won the rest of my games, and finished second behind Ajax, Werder Bremen having to make do with another season in Div 2. I met Ajax again in the final of the D2 Cup, and won through a penalty from Huylens. Twisting and turning in the box, he was rashly brought down by Grygera (who had also conceded the penalty in our last league meeting). After a hard fought game, I hung on for victory, and Minanda hoisted aloft his first trophy under my management.

I scored 16 goals in those 14 league games, having slowed down a lot in that difficult middle part of the season. Huylens got 4 of them, and he was top scorer in the cup with 5.

Over the summer break, I Ostwaut was now very happy to join, having seen my true pedigree. I also acquired Barcao, another old favourite of mine who can play CF or WF, as Sao Paolo (Caopalo) aren't in this ML. Incidentally, these days I've stopped arranging pre-season friendlies ; I prefer to just train them as often as I can.

I'm eight games into my first season in the top flight then, and lying third in the table. Things are going well so far; 5 wins and 3 draws, no defeats. The opening day was brilliant, a 4-0 win over Borussia Dortmund, though my subsequent performances have been less spectacular. Young Ostwaut scored on his debut in the second match, the only goal of the game. He intercepted a careless pass by the opposing defender, and as he took it in his stride he also jetted beyond their back line, who were totally unprepared for this turn of events. He sprinted to the box and placed it firmly past the keeper. Barcao hasn't excelled so far, but there is plenty of time. I have been using him as backup for Ximilez so far, on the left flank.

One website i rely on a lot is this one...

http://www.footballsquads.co.uk/squads.htm

Check out the archive section as it goes back quite a number of years. :)

When there's multiple sources, the best way is to compare players on pictures, with 2 or 3 others well known players (often older).
I will talk about current teams, but it's not always reliable, South African for example is full of errors. One player is 198cm from some source, 179 for some others. So... I founded a picture with the whole team, based on number from soccerway or another website on a game played.
He's 198 in both FM, Fifa, and PES. But in reality.... He's 179cm or close to it

Take a look, that's the player named "T. HLATSHWAYO", you can see on him on this match and the picture before.

https://us.soccerway.com/matches/2018/11/20/world/friendlies/south-africa/paraguay/2933491/

He's Number 14... The number 2 (smaller) is MOKOENA, 176cm. The number 6 and the number 9 MOTHIBA, 181cm are the most secure regarding club they played before so better information. Number 9 is 181cm.
The GK is 183-184 varies from source, but it's accurate, i compared on others pics.

Number 6 for example is also wrong : they list him as 185. But he's a tiny bit smaller than the 181cm player, and the same height approximatively as the first player i was talking about "T. HLATSHWAYO". On this picture he looks a tiny bit taller but that's an illusion, he's a tiny bit smaller or got +- the same height (i gived him (177-178cm)

And finally, on that kind of picture... TAKE A LOOK AT THE FEET > Number 13 (don't remember his name) is listed as 180cm and it fits with all pictures i saw. EDIT/ But he's also listed 188cm elsewhere... So if you just look at the higher their head reach, you can be totally wrong.
He looks taller than everyone, but (and it happens a lot on that kind of pictures) he's on the point of his feet :LMAO:
Bafana-v-Paraguay.jpg

About weight, i check about his body build, and gives an approximation when it's not available, it's pretty variable, a player can gain or loose 5 kg in a short amount of time. Some players where 180/75kg and now they're like 85kg... I try to check most recent pics. As both height and weight have an influence on Konami's standards stats.

Also, San Marino wasn't that hard to found, but some others teams, i gotted to made plenty of Height/Weight estimation.
I'm upper busy, and i'm less free since i'm with PESuniverse but also wants to send my work to Konami now, i've done something reallly professionnal with explanations and all... Full time job, you got sometimes to check on social network and being passionnate, having "the eye" too without trowing me flowers.
I also checked about wrong foot for example. It's not all about Hgt/Wgt.

I will perhaps send you my research, because i've done litterally every National teams... But for now on, i can't for the reasons i've given

But i gives you tips if you want to create a small team. It's a bit harder without having at least one, two, or three "landmarks" players to base on. And another important thing if you do that DON'T try to be too rigid about height, you can gain 1cm a day, loose it another day etc.
Personnally i'm according 3cm maximum error range for very tall players (190+), but for average 2cm.

I'm talking about a very precise process, but you don't have to do that. the first goal is to get player who are closer to 170cm, 175cm, 180cm, 190 or 165 etc. to be at least "ressembling" overally ;))
BTW players between 165-166cm and i would say 182-183cm are easier to got them more precise. It became difficult to judge when they're above or below those values.

Last edited:
Big game today as we play the relegated uefa cup holders bolton in my pes 5 master league this game will show us whether or not we will push for promotion this year or not

The Hurricanes finished off 2006 in third place, with Bayern winning the league and PSV second. I lost quite a few games in the second half of the season, and had been knocked out of the D1 cup at the first hurdle, losing to Benfica, so there was no trophy for me this year. Huylens finished as league (joint) top scorer with 14, and I scored 42 league goals overall. Minanda was next with 6, Ordaz with 5 and a pleasingly wide variety of other players scored the rest.

Ajax, who had been promoted with me, struggled somewhat, and finished in lower midtable. Borussia, who had lost 4-0 to me on the opening day, slowly improved and ended in a similar spot to Ajax. Down went Celtic and Pas De Calais (Ian Rush says that if you drink a lot of milk, you could play for Pas De Calais), with Werder Bremen and FC Utrecht being promoted in their place.

I bought two new players over the summer, a tall Brazilian CM named Machado (17) and a Spaniard called Gabi (23) who can play anywhere from defensive midfield up to a supporting striker role.

I started off quite poorly, not conceding many but struggling to score. I did, however, make a good start in both cup competitions, and qualified for the main group stage of the CL. By midseason, I was being more consistent in the league and climbing into the top six (the Euro qualification zone); Huylens had 8 goals at the halfway stage and I had hopes that he would be top scorer once more. However, in the second half of the campaign I struggled to find a consistent goal scoring streak; Huylens only netted another 5 goals, and despite a handful of pleasing team performances I was generally a bit poor. I didn't, however, lose a single game in the second half of the season. I also bought a young Baggio at the halfway point.

I began well in the CL group, beating Chelsea in the first game, but despite starting well against Barcelona they beat me 1-0. I then put in a mediocre performance against Sporting Lisbon (who are part of my domestic league), before losing my next game to Chelsea. I needed not only to win my next two games, then, but for Barca to lose to Chelsea in their last match. I had a stonker in my second game against Barca, winning 4-1, but against Sporting I couldn't get going and it was a dreary goalless draw. In the end, Barca drew with Chelsea anyway, so I would have been out regardless. I was in the Uefa Cup though!

I drew Sporting again (so boring to be tied with teams you already face in the domestic league!) who I managed to beat. I then won against another team from my league with a 90th minute goal from Baggio, having minutes earlier conceded an away goal that was due to send me out of the competition, before beating Liverpool in the final! It was 1-1 and went to extra time, when sub Ordaz scored a silver goal. My second trophy and first European one, just two years after winning the D2 cup.

I was knocked out of the D1 cup in the semis versus PSG, who went on to lose narrowly to Bayern in the final. Bayern however were not as strong this season, with PSV and a renewed Ajax leading the charge. However, by not losing at all in the second part of the season I found myself in third, just 3 points behind Ajax in first place, with three matches to go. It was time for my Hurricanes to show their champion spirit!

Alas, I managed this for about 45 minutes against Ajax before conceding a late equaliser, and then failed to score in my last two games, losing one of them. PSV won the title, Ajax second and Bayern overtaking me to finish third. A dismal end to my season, but in truth I was lucky to finish so high up with the standard of many of my performances.

Huylens finished with 13, again my top scorer but one or two behind the league's best. Minanda again scored 6 goals. Espimas and Ximilez were among the many midfield contributors, and Ximilez scored a screamer in the Uefa Cup.

FC Utrecht failed to stay up, and went down along with Marseille. Up came Celtic and Sparta Prague. Over the summer I bought a 17 year old Effenberg because I had let go Stein; a number of his performances had left me seething and I couldn't stand the sight of him anymore. I needed a sturdier DM with offensive skills to boot, and Effenberg fits the bill.

So, another season underway. I am doing ok, but have just unexpectedly lost in my seventh league game against struggling Dynamo Kiev. Huylens however continues to score with decent regularity, with 4 so far, and I have just won my CL preliminary group.

Our old Pes 6 youth League favourite,Dejan Kulusevski starts on top with Cr7 for Juventus tonight,took him 15 Min to score!
This kid is going places!

He looks as good as he was in the file! Hope Atalanta got a sell on clause! :) Nice to see some of the names cropping up in the first teams now, I noticed Caqueret from Lyon started in the Champions League semi final last month and Cherki came on as well.

He looks as good as he was in the file! Hope Atalanta got a sell on clause! :) Nice to see some of the names cropping up in the first teams now, I noticed Caqueret from Lyon started in the Champions League semi final last month and Cherki came on as well.
Quite a few popping up from that file Matt.
One thing that has always stunned me is that G Donnarumma (GK AC Milan) is starting his 6th season as a starter for Milan, he's 21,been a starter since he was 16.
That has to be unheard of!

One thing that has always stunned me is that G Donnarumma (GK AC Milan) is starting his 6th season as a starter for Milan, he's 21,been a starter since he was 16.
Donnarumma is always a must buy on any modern fifa or pes as he will see you through the whole career mode

Donnarumma is always a must buy on any modern fifa or pes as he will see you through the whole career mode
True Mate,been using him since PES 17,i usually go for Milan,especially Pes 17 (or FIFA 17) Milan is a good choice,6-7 youngsters with great ratings,I think after 2-3 season all of them is in my starting 11

Yeah that is absolutely mad! Honestly couldn't imagine a 16yr old managing to be a keeper in a top league. Another one from file, Fabio Silva, came on for Wolves tonight. Not sure what @miguelfcp thinks about Porto selling him already. Also Haaland was in that file, not sure whatever happened to him though :) I think a couple of your Torino boys have appeared for the first team as well haven't they? The striker, forgotten his name at the moment, I think he might be one of them?

Yeah that is absolutely mad! Honestly couldn't imagine a 16yr old managing to be a keeper in a top league. Another one from file, Fabio Silva, came on for Wolves tonight. Not sure what @miguelfcp thinks about Porto selling him already. Also Haaland was in that file, not sure whatever happened to him though :) I think a couple of your Torino boys have appeared for the first team as well haven't they? The striker, forgotten his name at the moment, I think he might be one of them?
I'll dig in to that!
Yeah stunning group of players

I hope our man's doing well. Been a bit quiet lately. Hopefully we can both revel in a Sporting defeat on Thursday evening!

Still deeply in love with 2013. Been busy lately, so I've played it a bit less (dviding my play time between this and Into the Breach, an addicting, wonderful strategic turn indie Epic Store gifted weeks ago), but nonetheless, arrived at december in my Serie B endeavour.

My squad building paid and that's where I'm at as of now:

classifica2013.jpg

Marilungo being my top scorer even if he usually starts from the bench and Yatabarè dominating the midfield as the year before. My defense is also improving a lot (even if i'm still taking a ton of goals as you can see :D).

I also like that the two top teams are, indeed, the ones with the best players of the whole category. Still have to play Bologna if I'm not wrong, but against Udinese was such a nice match I managed to won in the end while still being dominated for almost all the time, Di Natale and Muriel showing all their class.

Generally it's such a cohesive experience. I'm having games of all kind, plus both mine and CPU goals are so varied. I don't feel robbed when I lose and I don't feel it cheap when I win. I need to use at the best of their stats my players and pay attention to the ones of the other teams for the same reason. No idea if I've unerestimated Pes 2013 in the recent past or if 1.04, which sadly nobody uses as a base to patch since it's incompatible with the Gameplay tool, is really THAT good. Notwithstanding the IA being always in the direct, I see so many sweet "intelligent" movements and variations it's crazy. Then of course the game isn't perfect. The flaws we usually talk about are still there. It's just that despite it all the game is so damn fun and well made. Truly a great, appropriate farewell to the whole saga, before jumping on the ship we all know about.

@mattmid are you still working on those OFs :) ?

p.s. Miss @miguelfcp as well. I've heard Lazio is searching a Porto's youngster (Diogo Queiros) on loan, maybe you could school me about him :) .

@mattmid While editing your pes 2013 OF, did you have the problem of blank AUSTRIA NTs appearing in other Europe teams? If yes how did you deal with it? Also did you achieved to edit the participants in CL/EL? I installed a leftovers of PES EDIT patch 2012, in the last link out of 3, i found "alive" in a website, but as in 2013, those PESEDIT patches always give me those blank AUSTRIA NTs, as soon as i edit something in game edit mode.

Furthermore Boca and River are participating in other Europe teams and CL/EL, both with Libertadores (simulated in the ML background) which i believe some day will give me a crash in ML.

@mattmid are you still working on those OFs :) ?

I haven't done any editing for a couple of months now, kind of burnt myself out on it during lockdown here! Will probably get the urge again at some point. I haven't even played PES in a month or so, but that 2013 test ML I was doing with Bronshoj is starting to call me back I think. :) The only game I've really played in the last month has been Hitman Absolution, but there's only so many bodies you can put in cupboards. Into the Breach sounds interesting, was that one of those Epic giveaways then? Are they still doing it, haven't logged in there in ages?

@mattmid While editing your pes 2013 OF, did you have the problem of blank AUSTRIA NTs appearing in other Europe teams? If yes how did you deal with it? Also did you achieved to edit the participants in CL/EL? I installed a leftovers of PES EDIT patch 2012, in the last link out of 3, i found "alive" in a website, but as in 2013, those PESEDIT patches always give me those blank AUSTRIA NTs, as soon as i edit something in game edit mode.

Furthermore Boca and River are participating in other Europe teams and CL/EL, both with Libertadores (simulated in the ML background) which i believe some day will give me a crash in ML.

Hmm, I'm trying to remember, I think I'll have to load it up and check. I don't recall seeing them but then again I hadn't done all the teams. I was working on the vanilla exe so I don't know if that would be any different to the one's used on the patches which are presumably later builds. I'll have a check and let you know :)

Talking of players, how is McCrorie doing @Flipper the Priest . I heard he'd started well for you, but was being played in midfield which is supposedly his best position. Pretty much all the games he played for us on loan last season was at right back and he looked pretty ordinary to be honest. However our manager has an innate ability to put square pegs into round holes and make them look crap.

@mattmid unfortunately Into the Breach giveaway expired. However, since it might interest you, there is Football Manager 2020 for free as of now on the Epic Store! Will expire tomorrow so if you want to grab it do it in time :) .

Talking of players, how is McCrorie doing @Flipper the Priest . I heard he'd started well for you, but was being played in midfield which is supposedly his best position. Pretty much all the games he played for us on loan last season was at right back and he looked pretty ordinary to be honest. However our manager has an innate ability to put square pegs into round holes and make them look crap.

So far he's played in the right of a back three, right back and midfield. Anywhere at the back he looks adequate, but get him in midfield and he's been outstanding. Dominated games. Unfortunately, especially with McKenna leaving today, it looks like he's destined to play at the back more often than we'd like.

I haven't done any editing for a couple of months now, kind of burnt myself out on it during lockdown here! Will probably get the urge again at some point. I haven't even played PES in a month or so, but that 2013 test ML I was doing with Bronshoj is starting to call me back I think. :) The only game I've really played in the last month has been Hitman Absolution, but there's only so many bodies you can put in cupboards. Into the Breach sounds interesting, was that one of those Epic giveaways then? Are they still doing it, haven't logged in there in ages?

Hmm, I'm trying to remember, I think I'll have to load it up and check. I don't recall seeing them but then again I hadn't done all the teams. I was working on the vanilla exe so I don't know if that would be any different to the one's used on the patches which are presumably later builds. I'll have a check and let you know :)

I now installed patches in both games. PESEDIT 4.1 patch on 2012 and PTE Patch on PES 2013. To be honest, i can't recall now, what issues did the DPs fixed back then, but especially in PES 2012 i prefer now the 1.01 version then the patched and fully DPed one. The gameplay was much slow in 1.01. Also PESEDIT patch, as it did in the past, created some side effects, due to the unlock of more "hidden" teams, and i do not have trust for a long ML, cause back in 2013 i had some random crashes due to it. PTE patch on the other hand, seems better quality to me, but unfortunatelly the links are dead now. Two years ago, when i downloader PTE2013 they were alive, i should have downloaded the 2012 PTE patch back then! :(

So now i think i will re-install PES2012 vanilla, install a kitserver, saw some tutorials last night and maybe start refreshing my memory on PES 2012 editing, to create something by my-self.

Finally , i am not sure if both patches 2012/2013 are faster or differnet due to Jenkey tool, which comes along with the patch installations. Although its values are greyed by default, so i assume if you don't mess with them, the gameplay is default. Still having doubts on this.

In other news, i had a real blast with PES 2012 ML, two days ago. Started with PES United, had some unbalanced start, with 5W-0D-5L on top player. The best part was, all my roster was exhasted, fatigue is too hard here and 50% of mys rosted were pissed off against me, due to bad communication*, from the team chat. They had all angry purple faces and their arrows were down most time. I was ready to expell-release half the roster.. Really fun times , and really fun game to play a ML on!!!!! :)

*bad communication= I AM THE MANAGER bi@tches!!!! I am the GOD in the dressing room, i decide who plays and who don't, who leaves and who stays, who lives and who dies!!! :P :P I am the ALPHA and the OMEGA!!! Really love PES 2012 ML!! ;) :P

Last edited:
Jokes aside, and not sure if this is a bug , but on 2011 but especially more on 2012/2013 MLs, the form arrows i get are almost crap. Almost more 75% of my players arrows are down arrow.

Last edited:
@slamsoze glad you are enjoying 2012. I remember a lot of unique moments due to ML being so rich. I still have impressed in my memory the left side back of the team asking, in my first trial ML, for the number 10 shirt and I was like.. dude, unless is Roberto Carlos asking, no way a sb is getting that in MY squad :LOL: . Great immersion.

By the way, since I'm playing Pesedit, I seriously hope I won't get ending crashes in my 2013 ML.. given how much I'm loving it, would sucks so damn much!

@slamsoze glad you are enjoying 2012. I remember a lot of unique moments due to ML being so rich. I still have impressed in my memory the left side back of the team asking, in my first trial ML, for the number 10 shirt and I was like.. dude, unless is Roberto Carlos asking, no way a sb is getting that in MY squad :LOL: . Great immersion.

By the way, since I'm playing Pesedit, I seriously hope I won't get ending crashes in my 2013 ML.. given how much I'm loving it, would sucks so damn much!
I hope you don't have mate. I had a gamebreaking once, .EXE crashing on 7 January while advancing date to 8th January. It was one of my most imersing ML saves ever, as i was fighting to avoid relegation with HSV, first time in my ML history was close to relegation. And i had succeded some awesome deals that January..

The wierd part was, after i did some tests, that in other saves i had in Professional Level, it never crashed. It was crashed only in Top Player! I hope it was just me.

But in other news, and if i have the time needed, i would be interested to learn to edit the game myself like @mattmid, in order to be more versatile. Those modes in that years, 2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 have so much depth, that keeps me engaged, even if i do not like the gameplay 100%. Even the regen system which is broken by core, works so much better in these versions, with the academy level, etc!

P.S: Dude No10 in my teams, is not even for R. Carlos.. Only AMF living gods can wear it, like Rivaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Kaka', etc... :) In different case it stays empty!!

Back
Top Bottom