The Retro-PES Corner

My all time PES wonder goal moment (and as wee all know, this no FIFA circus where you can just crack one in from forty five yards). Got a player in a top difficulty ML game to beat the keeper by heading the ball over him and then volleying it into the empty net.

@Titch - If I may give you my opinion, I'm always up for a challenge and testing myself in new ways, so I'd go with Top Player anyway man. I think the pressure of game over is essential for the save to become even more exciting.
As for the PES points, on PES2009 you have the "club popularity" grade. Winning matches to better your popularity grade also brings in more PES points. In season one I accumulated 6000 PES which turned out to be more than enough to pay salaries and even to bring in more players, but consider the D2 on 2009 has 12 teams therefore more fixtures, more money to be earned.

@matt - definitely, I think writing one's experiences makes us more connected to the save itself.
Glad you liked it mate. Minanda is already 37 years old here but he still brings his game, a class act. As for Castolo, he was excellent for me in earlier PES but from 2008 on he just became inconsistent. Now he's able to dominate a match but on the very next one, he completely disappears.

@whohatemedinner - welcome to evo-web mate, love your username already. Do share your adventures with us. As for Burchet, I sold him after 0 matches this season. He was very good for me in a 2008 ML I've done many years ago but this time my insistence on the 3-5-2 meant that there was no space for a winger like him, and he's pretty much of a one-trick-pony so he's gone.

Used to always play a frugal 4-5-1 formation when I started playing the ML and could not get even a draw in Division 2. It was grim football, but with PES, formations really matter.

@WhoAteMeDinner: The classics mustn't be abandoned, they're as timeless as the music of the Beatles or an Hitchcock movie.
Espimas is solid, reliable and never tires. He played the most matches this season and I can't say he played badly in any of them. I had a chance to bring in a young RWB to replace him but why should I, the man is still rocking that right wing.
There's a few defaults I usually never let go of, Stein and Valeny are so reliable I end up keeping them until they retire.

The 4-5-1 has more defensive balance, but when transitioning to attack it causes me a lot of problems. To be honest it always seemed to me that the defaults were tailor-made for the 3-5-2, given the lack of decent side-backs and how Espimas and Ximelez have interesting defense-ratings for the side-midfielders they are. Also just one striker is a nightmare: out of Castolo, Gutierrez, Ordaz, Huylens and Hamsun, anyone could get that spot easily.

@miguelfcp , yeh, you can use Espinas anywhere on the right, he scored a couple of goals for me in my latest return to the Master League. Valeny is fast and a good full back, he is slow by comparison but Vorlander is solid and a big defender and he can get you a goal from a corner.

@miguelfcp Ah that old attachment thing! The times you get that when there's a replacement to be had but you just can't bring yourself to let go of one of the old reliables.

@matt: what? Your last goal of the video...didn't even know that could happen!
Also the stadium from the second-to-last goal is really cool. Love those original and quirky stadiums, hail these stadium creators and editors whose works we've had the privilege to use over the last decade, they're magicians.

Honestly I have to confess, for a moment I hesitated on turning this save of mine to a true "defaults challenge", so that I couldn't buy or sell players ever. That's how attached one gets! Every single one of them plays differently, loads of player individuality that I never saw on any other team in any other football game.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Vorlander is Libermann's "dad"! Over the years I convinced myself to play Valeny as a CB, mainly because how the likes of Ceciu, Stremer and others were never solid enough to get the spot, and he is brilliant. Typically you wouldn't bet on it because of his low defense rating (63 or 62, I think) but he turned out to be much more reliable than every other defender I've had. In this new save though, I'm focusing on growing the youngsters Jaric, Moubarki and Baumann so he gets less playing time, but still decent enough to carry on to the next season in our squad.

Vorlander is only 36 in the edition I am playing, he has years left ! Anyways I have a thing for signing giants at the back, 190 cm and above and massive keepers.

I've gotten along more with his son, though. And yeah, definitely in retro-PES you see physicality make a difference, so tall players pay off. Libermann is far from a great player but at times he behaves like a monster in the back with his aerial ability. Also when your team is not able to build play and create goal chances, with tall and athletic players you can still be a threat in set pieces/corners and even long-throw-ins.

@mattmid , that was a sweat through ball and a peachie chip. Very tough skill to master.

I think I punched the air when scoring that one! I don't use it a lot because it's so hard to get right but as the keeper came out I thought I've got to try it and just caught it with the perfect power. Tavares of Maribor that scored it, I'll always remember him now.

@matt: what? Your last goal of the video...didn't even know that could happen!
Also the stadium from the second-to-last goal is really cool. Love those original and quirky stadiums, hail these stadium creators and editors whose works we've had the privilege to use over the last decade, they're magicians.

Neither did I! That's why I had to save it, I didn't know it was possible.

Yes, there are some fantastic stadiums for pes6 and from just about everywhere. That one is Bohemians from Czech Rep. I've got a few Norwegian stadiums I'm using for my league, sadly not Start's but about 5-6 stadiums I'm mixing up to play the games. You should download maxey's Dortmund stadium, it's a work of art.

I kinda felt left behind when they started using years and not numbers for new games, they lost me. :BYE:

Agree totally. The gameplay got left behind as well. The beauty of these games is the abilities really mean something and each player is an individual and by that the possibilities become endless.

@matt: maxey is a wizard. I've used a few of his stadiums and it's just amazing. Hard to believe its a 10-year-old game while you're using them.
Really PES6 on the PC is THE platform for football gaming, given its classic gameplay and the gigantic amount of graphic addons available out there, you just have to drag and drop and that's it, ready to play. Amazing game.

@mattmid , well said, the beauty of PES always was and should have stayed the individual player attributes and abilities. Going carefully through each players' stats numbers and choosing the one's with consistent numbers across the board is often the key to a good team.

Meanwhile, back in Norway....

Round 4 sees a tough trip to last season's runner up, Molde, who haven't had the best of starts winning just 1 of their first 3, although a loss at Rosenborg was one of their two defeats. Hestad with 2 assists and Aursnes with 2 goals could be the danger men. Start will go with an unchanged lineup after their excellent smash and grab raid against Valerenga. That is, apart from Tryggvason coming in to replace the injured Sandberg. Christiansen, just 17 and Aremu, only 18, will look to compete against Aursnes and Helstad in midfield. Meanwhile, in the game of the day, the two undefeated sides meet with Sarpsborg entertaining Rosenborg in what will surely be a stern test for the home team.

The game begins and straight away Aursnes causes a threat, pushing forward to hit a shot that is deflected for a corner. Okpal comes out to deal with it though and claims it well. Molde passed it around neatly but the final ball was being picked up well by my defence. On 20 minutes Finnbogason had our first shot of the game from 20yds but it was straight at the keeper and easily dealt with. A couple of minutes later and Tryggvason is crudely cut down after beating his full back and has to go off in what is becoming a jinxed position! Aase replaces him. Okpal claims another corner as Molde continue to pressure, with wide man Chukwu looking particularly dangerous having got in 2-3 crosses already. Molde continue to do most of the pressing for the rest of the half but don't manage to create anything more than half chances as Larsen at CB is winning everything in the air so far and made a key interception after a quick Molde move of 6-7 passes threatened to break through the defence. HT 0-0 and not a single shot on target from either side. News from elsewhere sees Sarpsborg and Rosenborg 1-1 at the break.

Second half begins and Skaanes breaks well from his own half, driving through a strong challenge on half way nd another on the edge of the box before getting in a decent cross which Finnbogason gets up well to meet, directing a header into the far corner of the net. 1-0 Start! Finbogason proving strong in the air once again. Shortly after another good opening is worked and Aase sees a shot saved by the keeper's legs but he grabs it at the second attempt. Then Molde get forward and the dangerous Chukwu once again gets in a cross, this one is met by Helstad and produces a fine diving save from Okpal for a corner. A scrappy few minutes as passes were misplaced by both teams was ended on 83 mins when a neat reverse pass from Halstad found that man Chukwu who took the ball on a couple of strides before unleashing a shot past both Larsen, who had tried to get a block in, and the helpless Okpal. 1-1! This triggered a frantic finale as first Normann of Molde went on a mazy run, getting into the box only to be thwarted by a smart save from Okpal. Then with Molde throwing men forward looking for a winner, Sigurdarson won the ball midway in his own half and released Finbogason who was clear of the defence as he ran on to the ball near the edge of the centre circle. He had all sorts of time to think of his finish as he approached the Molde keeper but eventually decided to hit it straight at him! A corner was won though as the clock ticked deep into stoppage time. The corner was floated over, Aremu found himself 10 yards out level with the far post with a free header. He met it firmly, the crowd waited for the net to bulge, the keeper looked on rooted to the spot, but it sailed agonisingly just the wrong side of the post and into the advertising boards. He sunk to his knees in agony, knowing that was a golden chance to win it. The ref had seen enough and blew for time and it ended 1-1.

Skaanes, with another assist, was named man of the match with a 7.5 rating. Opdal, Finbogasson and Christiansen were next best all at 6.5. Opdal is proving to be a very reliable keeper so far, which is probably just as well.

Elsewhere Rosenborg found a winner in the second half to beat Sarpsborg 2-1 and become the only unbeaten team left. Haugesund scored their first goal of the season in a 1-0 win over fellow strugglers Lillestrom. Stromsgodset, Valerenga, Bodo and Ranheim picked up wins as well whilst Sandefjord got their first point in a 1-1 draw with Odd.

Depsite their first point Sandefjord remain bottom on goal difference to Lillestrom.

With Tryggvason out for a week there's another change out wide as Wichne comes in for his first start of the season. The visitors are Brann who have not started too well but with a for-against record of 2-4, it suggests it could be a tight game. Hopefully encouragement can be taken from the fact they haven't played anyone in the top half yet either.

Disaster strikes early on as Daniel Braaten, one time Bolton player, turns in a low cross with just three minutes gone. Poor defending all round as Berger the full back was easily beaten and Larsen did no more than wave a leg at the low cross as Braaten turned it in. 0-1. On 7 minutes Braaten brushes the left back off before curving a shot a couple of yards wide. Braaten then has another chance before Skaanes hits a tame shot wide on 15 minutes. Then on 27 minutes Finbogason should have done much better as he beat the defender to a cross no more than 8 yards out but put it over the bar. A fine run from the full back, Berger, ends with him lashing a shot wide of the left post. It's almost worse news just before half time as Skalevik, the Brann CF, crashes a shot against the bar and the rebound is headed in by Marengo, but the linesman's flag is up. Marengo was offside when the shot came in from Skalevik. A let off there and it stays 0-1 as the ref blows for half time.

Elsewhere there's a shootout in Stabaek where it's 2-2 with Sarpsborg at half time, while Sandefjord are hanging in at 0-0 away to Valerenga, In the other early game Stromsgodset lead 1-0 against Bodo.

A largely uneventful first 20 minutes of the second half was livened up when sub Salvesen, coming on for an ineffective Finbogason, beat the keeper on 71 minutes, only to see the shot hit the bar and land at the feet of a defender who put it out for a corner. Marengo then had a good chance to sew it up for the visitors on 80 minutes but wasted the opportunity by shooting well wide. He then missed another good chance a couple of minutes later before more drama in stoppage time. A good cross from Aase had to be headed out for a corner. The corner was sent in, Christensen got up nicely to meet it only to see his header thump against the underside of the bar down on to the line and out!! FT 0-1. A game of 15 free kicks (9-6), 23 chances (11-12) and 3 shots against the woodwork (2-1) between the teams.

Elsewhere a thriller in Stabaek ends 4-3 to the home side! Valerenga surprisingly lose at home to Sandefjord as they climb off the bottom of the table and Stromsgodset see out a 2-0 win against Bodo. The evening fixtures saw Molde win 2-1, Haugesund, Tromso, Lillestrom and Odd shared 1-1 draws and Rosenborg won their fifth in a row although only 3-2 at home to Kristiansund who appear to have given them a good game.

Situation after 5 games:

Table

Roseborg 15 +10
Stromsgodset 12 +6
Valerenga 9
Sarpsborg 9
Bodo 9
Ranheim 9
Molde 7
Stabaek 7
Odd 6
Brann 6
Start 5 -1
Haugesund 5
Kristiansund 4
Tromso 4
Sandefjord 4
Lillestrom 2

Top Scorers

Botheim (Rosenborg) 4
Soderlund (Rosenborg) 4
Finnbogason (Start) 3
Pedersen (Stromsgodset) 3
Aursenes (Molde) 3
Mortensen (Sarpsborg) 3
Nielsen (Sarpsborg) 3
Karlsen (Ranheim) 3
Omoijuanfo (Stabaek) 3

Assists

Heintz (Sarpsborg) 5
Holm (Valerenga) 4
Reitan (Rosenborg) 3
Konradsen (Rosenborg) 3
Skaanes (Start) 2

Injuries

Fridjonsson 7 wks
Sandberg 5 wks
Helmersen 4 wks

Player of the Season Race

Aremu 6.40
Christensen 6.38
Skaanes 6.10
Opdal 6.00
Larsen 6.00

Next up is home to Lillestrom, who with just 1 point from 5 games will be looking to get something from the game. For their part this is a game Start need to be taking maximum points from if they want to be looking up the table rather than down.

Gosh it's exciting isn't it :D
Shame it's not possible to do transfers in League mode.

@Titch Yes, it's really adding to the immersion by writing about it, I look forward to reading your ML challenge or whatever you might do if you decide to write it here.

Yeah, that would be good to be able to do transfers in League mode wouldn't it, even if it was just a pre season window or something. Considering you can play on to future seasons it's an opportunity missed really. Shame you couldn't link as many leagues as you have to try and climb through the leagues as well.

I guess you could kind of do it manually and even 'go into Europe' if you qualify by doing a separate cup and playing your games out. Kind of a manual ML. I'm about to start on editing the Norwegian 2nd Div next so I'll probably play out a league in that next and see if I can get promoted with a team from there and hopefully not relegated with Start!

I wonder if you could set up some kind of formula for transfers. Perhaps take the best 2 rated players of the relegated teams and allow them to 'sign' for the top two teams in the league. Then the two promoted teams sign the best player of the third and fourth bottom teams to give them a couple of new signings. Or something along those lines. Hmmm, food for thought.

ML UNITED – The defaults

Season 2 – Transfer Market

After a full season of using just the ML defaults, it was clear we needed more talent if we ever want to compete for the D1 promotion. Previously I had tried to use the winter transfer market to acquire a few players, given I had already a few thousand PES points extra to spend, but despite my very best efforts (which included giving an 800 PES points salary to a 17-yo newcomer, a beast of a player that surely deserved it though) I couldn’t get anything out of it. Had to stick to the defaults until the start of Season 2.

We needed upgrades all over the pitch. In theory we don’t have a single good player, only “close-to-decent” at the very best, and we definitely need a few “good” players. Even Sparta Rotterdam, who finished 12th out of 12 in D2, has a few of them, and every single club in this league has at least one for every position. If our desire is to compete, only fairly decent players won’t do the trick.

By the end of the season, our club popularity grade had improved from originally F, the worst rating, to an E. Doesn’t seem like much of an improvement, but this was fundamental for us to finally be able to buy players to our team – even if the vast majority of players I tried to acquire refused my offers, some of them too generous for the player’s quality. Even players whose popularity was lower than our club’s refused to come, and I can’t blame them for that since our team offers little room for great collective achievements in the future.

I soon found out that the “good” players all refused to come. Even players who had barely played last season refused to abandon their clubs to join us. Moreover, the few who were available for transfer talks had very expensive transfer fees, some teams asked 4000 to 5000 PES points for players and though I had a total of 12000 PES, I still have to pay salaries so I would only allocate a max of 3000 for transfer expenditures for this transfer period.

My strategy had to change: if we can’t get players with an established level of quality, we’ll get them while they’re…younger. And while they’re younger they’re cheaper, far cheaper at times. I ended up getting 3 players: an attacker, a midfielder and a defender, all of them very young and with a lot of potential.

-» C. Evans (ST) – 19-yo – free agent: Having under-23 players such as Gutierrez, Hamsun, Ordaz and an aging but still decent Castolo put me off to the prospect of getting another young striker, but I had to get Evans for his young age and great set of skills couldn’t be overlooked, it was a deal I couldn’t refuse. He’s well-built (183cm) and his best asset is his speed (81), he’s a decent finisher also and already is good enough to be a first-team choice. During the pre-season his partnership with Gutierrez left me really excited for the future, they’re both tireless and dynamic up front, and they're two complete players with no weaknesses for the strikers they are.

-» Vainqueur (AMF/CMF) – 19yo - 2200 PES: Well worth the money. He came listed in the “future potential” group of players so I expect him to develop a lot here. He’s an AMF that looks a lot like Minanda not just because he’s well-built for your typical creative midfielder, but also because he’s a great passer of the ball. Already is our best midfielder at the age of 19, so Vainqueur might be a leader for ML United in the years to come.

-» Cooper (CB) – 17yo – free agent: I wanted to get a good CB but instead I ended up getting a 17-yo CB with loads of potential who’s already one of the best defenders here, FOR FREE! Cooper has everything to become a great CB in the future (don’t remember seeing many 17-yo CBs with such an impressive statsheet in any PES game), but he has to improve on his aerial game (73 head./73 jump) massively because he’s not that tall for a CB (180cm) but if he evolves as I expect him to do he’ll correct that even before he turns 20.

I’ll be giving him a lot of minutes this season, that’s for sure, since I didn’t end up getting that “good” CB I wanted (and even bid for). So far he played a pre-season match and it was like Cannavaro had taken over my defense, disguised as a scottish young man.

Transfers Out:

-» Burchet (800 PES): Meh. He didn’t play a single game, my tactic didn’t fit a winger and he was already aging so I sold him. Decent amount of points I got for him, though.
-» Ceciu (free agent): Another who never played.
-» Zamenhof (free agent): Him and Lothar played 0 matches, but at least Lothar is still younger.

@mattmid Yeah I have thought about creating a system where players retire, youths come through, transfers take place and stats increase/decrease. It would depend on separate stats to determine these things ie how good the youth set up is would factor how good the player starts out and their potential growth. I had plenty of ideas but it was almost turning into an FM setup so I could have spent more time working these things out than playing the game! Then there's the games. I want to play a 24 team league but obviously, that's not possible. It's a shame there's no way to simulate games either. Do I take control of all of them and play 2036 games? :LOL: (Yes that's the entire English Football League and yes, I worked it out) OR do change the amount of teams in a league to 16 or 20 and take control of one team per division? Decisions decisions...

@Titch :LOL: Yeah I've thought about playing all the games as each team, playing each game as the home team or something but it's a daunting task! Not being able to do above 20 has always been a pain for the English lower leagues. You could do it manually in exhibition mode but I'm never sure the computer gives it all in that plus of course there's no context to the game in that a cpu team has no idea if they need to win or whatever.

I've just made the first two Div 2 teams in Norway so I'm now set on the idea of playing a team in that league as well and I'll have a league to promote/relegate from. They have promotion play offs too including the third bottom team in the Eliteserien so it's possible I could meet myself in a play off. :LOL:

@miguelfcp Looks like a decent transfer window for the near and longer future there. Look forward to seeing how it goes next season.

Even a 20 team league would take weeks to finish. Unless you did a round of games a week. Imagine taking a year to finish a season :D

I resisted for months but with these all patches you tempted me to go back to the masterpieces which i abonded as i played pes 5/6 from 2007-2014. After on i promised my self not to play the gold games again because i was rejecting every years new pes. So i got we9LE as it is the game i played the least cause of korean language, back at the times. So enough with words let the picture speak here is one scene i missed so much.The player gets a light injury (yellow cross) and keeps playing with bandages on his knee. When i subbed him he went out of field holding his leg and limping.

Last edited:
I will try ML with default squad, top player and player development and see how long I will last. As long as I can pay the milkman I'm not bothered :D

I will try ML with default squad, top player and player development and see how long I will last. As long as I can pay the milkman I'm not bothered :D

Pay him? You might have to sign him and play him in midfield :D Look forward to seeing how you get on.

Thinking on it, you should play him out wide as his delivery should be good...

I'll get me coat.

@slamsoze: great stuff, I didn't remember that detail. It's these little things that make retro-PES so enjoyable!
WE9LE is an amazing game, I played a few friendlies of a patched version with an older OF (from the 10/11 season, I believe) and I don't remember many other football games that forced me to play realistically as WE9LE did. Memorable experience, let me tell you.

@Titch: Good luck mate, we're all expecting to see how you get on with it.

Meanwhile, first fixture of the season and C. Evans scores a hat-trick...bull's eye! He's already the second all-time best scorer of the club in just...7 games.

@miguelfcp , you did well not to run out of points and have a game over at end of season 1, with just the Default Squad, some great nuggets in the squad for sure like Espinas, Burchet and Nachdecal, but you can't get promotion with them. I have usually got promotion with at least five new signings.

Exactly, unless there's a solid core of "good enough" players it's highly unlikely for one to be able to get promoted. The great thing about this 2009 generation is that players like Jaric, Gutierrez, Ordaz are bound to evolve to become very decent individuals and in just a few years they'll be a part of that core.

Back
Top Bottom