The Retro-PES Corner

Oh course. Pompey man. To be fair he did a good turn for Scotland. A bit of grit that was needed at a time when there was little technical quality in the team. Scored a couple of quality goals too IIRC.

Actually I really liked him when he was with us, two footed player as well and a decent passer on his day. He scored a couple of screamers in amongst those that went in the crowd. Even today if a player smashes one way high or wide (even our own players) he is met with chants of "Quashie, Quashie" :D

[/QUOTE]
I've grown to love the J-League this year. As I've touched on in recent posts too I'd love to source (although I'm pretty certain they won't exist) option file editors for the J-League editions. I can get by with Japanese menus (Google Translate) but the player names is too far! They're fun to play for exhibition games though.

Was it you who uploaded those excel lists of players from all the versions? I'm sure I remember messing around with the translate option in excel on a Japanese one.

fookin rashforde and livahpoole i hear and see everywhere these days.

That'll be living in Ireland no doubt! :D

Was it you who uploaded those excel lists of players from all the versions? I'm sure I remember messing around with the translate option in excel on a Japanese one.

Twas. You make a good point - to retrieve all those names you'd think there would be a tool to do it. Maybe an editor... That could work the other way... I'm going to ask the guy!

How on earth you defend and score in PES2012? This base ML players are potato bags. 10 fixtures in and i have 3 points and 0 wins on top player. This is the most difficult PES i played.

How on earth you defend and score in PES2012? This base ML players are potato bags. 10 fixtures in and i have 3 points and 0 wins on top player. This is the most difficult PES i played.
Not sure cause I am dominant on professional but terrible on all 2011/2012/2013 on TopPlayer.

My win ratio is 1W-1D-2L. I also suvk hard in all aerial defending battles in my Penalty area.

What I assume, must a player do is boost the Teamwork stay for all players, it is the predecessor of TS. Does not work totallarian like TS, but it gives your team a better shape.

Also fork arrows in the start of the season almost kill me.

What you should do for sure with defaults, is sign Shimizu and Palmieri from the youth academy, in the beginning.

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_182138.jpg
    IMG_20200926_182138.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 14
Furthermore, although it is gone more than 2 months since the last time I visited my PES2012 ML, I had unlocked and revisited the Club Boss Mode. Seems the general command of the club, belongs to the special one Mr Zamenhof!!! :)

Bonus some player interaction and average staff. Player chat being my favorite habbit in 2012:
Player : Coach why am I Transfer listed?
Me: Cause you are a pathetic fodder and all I care is Money!!!!! ;)

Next time I will go back to my PC for a retro session, I will give a try on my current save with St. Pauli, but this time I will try with gamepad, cause maybe keyboard is the reason I am so bad.

PS: I know it is not the keyboard to blame, but I must live the illusion. :}

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_233018.jpg
    IMG_20200926_233018.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200926_233005.jpg
    IMG_20200926_233005.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200926_232953.jpg
    IMG_20200926_232953.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200926_182215.jpg
    IMG_20200926_182215.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200926_182153.jpg
    IMG_20200926_182153.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200926_182111.jpg
    IMG_20200926_182111.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200926_182105.jpg
    IMG_20200926_182105.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Not sure cause I am dominant on professional but terrible on all 2011/2012/2013 on TopPlayer.

My win ratio is 1W-1D-2L. I also suvk hard in all aerial defending battles in my Penalty area.

What I assume, must a player do is boost the Teamwork stay for all players, it is the predecessor of TS. Does not work totallarian like TS, but it gives your team a better shape.

What you should do for sure with defaults, is sign Shimizu and Palmieri from the youth academy, in the beginning.

They are in the first squad of course. :D I could not sign anyone. And i tried to set the match to 15 instead of 10 but i just concede more goals :D Besides those two players none of them is capable to pass, shoot make runs properly. I just get decimated by any team i can be happy with a draw at this point.

I remember play with the defaults in Pes 12 as a really frustrating experience, probably the most difficult of all pre-Fox era. I don't think there is a reliable way to find good results (unless for some kind of obscure exploit I'm not even aware of or interested in) other than slowly build up a better team.

I'm soooooooooooo proud of my boys! :APPLAUD:

My pleasure! It stuck with me how they beautifully came back. I've also had loads of fantastic football moments during all the tournament! In my last match, for example, I was up against 2003 Real. We were 0-0 until Zidane came in for them and made the winning assist! Felt so good. For how WE9/Pes5 CPU might be difficult to crack for it's well known flaws, you surely gave it much more personality! :)

Fam I am back I played more today here my thoughts and considerations

View attachment 67330

I was expecting I would power thru mid-table teams and be around top 6. Tons of 1-0s, couple draws, just now I got finally stopped by United oh god what a beast team! 1-2, but honestly such a dominant side that manchester team, we got one at the end but shoulda been 0-4 I'm tellin ya.

Now something that I've been thinking about for quite a while now.

Before United I played Chelsea and they were so trash. If not for moment of magic from Crespo's big argentine head we woulda won. Castolo & Co. were giving the blues run for their money.

There is something I have noticed with the stats long, long time ago. Teamwork. I do not understand why is it balanced the way it is, supposedly to make players distinct but I think it only ruins the, and consequently entire teams. Chelsea's overall TW was not bad, but after checking in Exhibition United's easily 5-10 TW higher on average.

One exception being Ronaldo. Yung Chris was like the worst player in the big red derby. It was high TW players like Giggs and Alan Smith (!) powering the team. Seriously some of the passes van Nisterlooy was getting were out of this world. I was being ripped apart left and centre. Not on the right though, right had CR7 with like 64 teamwork.

I know patches/ofs often tried to add +10-15 TW across the board, sometimes would just set everyone outright to 99. I have a different idea I want to test. I wanna set everyone's teamwork equal to their overall. You can easily get overalls on pesmaster. CR7 overall's 91 so he'd get 91 TW instead of fucken 60! It just paralyzes the player, pulls him out of play. I have noticed a lot of time AI just cannot utilize its best players. Tactics are good, so are ideas, but the execution is all over place, especially up front.

This would mean best teams with lots of high-rated players get lots of TW, hopefully making them stronger. Weaker teams I feel often get to ride on a couple high TW players and are consequently much stronger than usual.

Perhaps mentality and aggression should be the same? Not sure.

Also about special abilities/"stars" I remember reading somewhere that they actually indicate AI behaviour. So someone with "scoring" star actually simply takes more chances. Some global adjustments would perhaps make AI more direct? Especially up front, god is attacking AI bad. Shoutouts to United for saving the day and kicking my ass, I was worried I might run away with the title even...

Any input appreciated 🐑

Use tactics to make good use of low TW players.
Sounds obvious but consider that irl, to really make use of a low TW player's abilities, the team has to be build around him (Ronaldo 5 years ago, current Messi, Riquelme, etc.). High TW players can be plugged in anywhere and perform well (Kimmich at RB/CB, Lahm at DM/CM, Iniesta at LW, Schweinsteiger at DM/CM, Cocu anywhere, Rooney anywhere in attack, Matthäus/Sammer/Thon at CB/SW, Breitner at CM, Krol anywhere in Defense, J. Zanetti at DM/LB etc.).

Plus I strongly believe high TW players are much more effective and essential to a team's success then given credit for in the public eye. Remember how long it took for CL & WC winning Busquets to be considered a good & later a legendary player? Or what about Xavi & Puyol before Guardiola? Klose was always a very good player who helped his teams in a variety of ways but is probably only well known because he headed in some goals every four summers. Remember Florentino Perez & Claude Makelele?
Anyway my point is that I believe TW SHOULD be hugely influential.

PES5 has some weird things going on with TW progression over the course of a season in ML & League Mode, though. Don't fully understand it but it may be THE reason why games in those modes are harder than friendlies.

This year I went back to the PES 2012-13 era. sucked a lot in PES 2012: the defence system, the game speed, the shots, etc. Two weeks after PES 2012 I return to PES 2013, a totally different experience (maybe because I play PES 6 more): excellent game speed, the player id, more fun games... but in both games I feeled that every match was the same, idk. In PES 6 there is some replayability factor or something. Now I use PES 6 to edit and create some all stars teams and play with great players of the football history, is amazing how with the old stats system you can represent Maradona, Zico, and more.

My pleasure! It stuck with me how they beautifully came back. I've also had loads of fantastic football moments during all the tournament! In my last match, for example, I was up against 2003 Real. We were 0-0 until Zidane came in for them and made the winning assist! Felt so good. For how WE9/Pes5 CPU might be difficult to crack for it's well known flaws, you surely gave it much more personality! :)

Just tried a league game with United vs Newcastle...while its still pretty grinding to score, quality United players were still making runs i can run besides the opposition, defenders were making interceptions so...its yes the piss poor stats of the ML default team. Which is great to be honest, clear difference between stats and players still in these games! Now as you said just have to find a way to start...getting points :D

I found the same with my 2013 ML. Once I stopped being utterly shite, my default jobbers were letting me down. Pace made a massive difference in attack - two wingers and striker. I still struggle with defending, especially when an attacker's running directly towards me - quite often just run straight through me! It's becoming less and and less frequent though. Why? No idea. My positioning must just be getting gradually better, almost subconsciously.

I'm still loving it, though. Nice to play a game with a learning curve, and where stats matter!

FIRST WIN, solid 2-0 against Union Berlin.
8phP.gif

Really appreciate your words @breezy. There are tags at the end of each post; but now it should be easier to search for posts:

Untitled.jpg

You can reach that left sidebar via clicking those three bars before "The Libero Magazine" up top.

Don't be shy guys, if you have any more suggestions, shoot it. I'm always trying to improve the site in any way I can.

@miguelfcp I adore your meticulous style and I would like to read your reviews of all possible retro football games. For example International Superstar Soccer for SNES or Virtua Striker, or early FIFAs. Your Football Kingdom article was superb! But anything you choose to write about is well worth reading.

Last edited:
@Meazza84: Many thanks man, I'm glad you enjoy it. You know, that's what I have in mind; though I admit I am itching to write about more recent retro titles such as FIFA08 or the 2010 World Cup game, I have to force myself to start from the beginning and work my way through the history of football gaming, or else I'll get lost in the vast sea that is the football gaming catalog we're so fortunate to have.

Yep middle 00's to 10's we were much worse. A decent season here and there and then some middle table (or even lower) placement. Then after a turning market in which we signed Klose, Hernanes, Cissè (although unfortunately he flopped) and others, things started to get significantly better; fast forward to Inzaghi/Immobile's cycle that started in 16/17 and we finally are solid.

Hope I'm not sounding pedantic :LOVE:, it's just that we grew a lot since the Pes 5 roster (although we certainly had some good player even then) and my inner fanboy couldn't keep it in.

I stopped watching football even longer ago than Angelo, and for me the PES 5 Lazio roster was grimly below what I had enjoyed in the early-mid 90s. Signori, Gascoigne, Doll, Winter, Boksic, Fuser- they were awesome, though unfortunately they didn't win the scudetto until all but Boksic had left at the end of the decade. But I was dimly aware that Klose had gone to Lazio and been a big success (much more so than an early 90s established German international, Karl-Heinz Riedle, who had far more modest success in Italy), and this Ciro Immobile's name kept cropping up a lot in recent years. In a way, once when stops following football, the story and idea of each club's contemporary situation gets fixed in one's head, and it feels strange when you hear how their fortunes have changed with all these personnel you've never heard of!

I haven't logged in here for a while. I was playing a Master League where I just couldn't quite win the title despite coming desperately close several times. I quit and began anew in an easier league containing several second rate European teams, and despite a lacklustre performance in my opening season I won it straight off! I then followed this up with two more league titles and a D1 cup two years ago (by the way, had anyone else never heard of Carlier before? I needed another body to replace tired strikers in my first top flight season, so bought a very cheap youngster from a fellow second division French team; he begins with good physical stats at age 20 but poor shooting, yet quickly develops into a fast, strong and good striker with good technique. He greatly exceeded my expectations). I need a new challenge, so decided to revisit PES 2009, something I'd been mulling over for a couple of months. I've just ordered a second hand copy from Computer Exchange (Cex) in the UK, where I live. I remember it being hard for me back then, a different feel to earlier titles in the series, and I wanted to give it a second chance, to see if I can get to grips with it and to have more realistic and challenging transfers decisions.

@Meazza84: Many thanks man, I'm glad you enjoy it. You know, that's what I have in mind; though I admit I am itching to write about more recent retro titles such as FIFA08 or the 2010 World Cup game, I have to force myself to start from the beginning and work my way through the history of football gaming, or else I'll get lost in the vast sea that is the football gaming catalog we're so fortunate to have.

Is a shame that the 2010 World Cup game wasn't release for PC.

High temperature, coughing, feeling extremely tired; you know what that means: I had a severe case of Wonderkid Fever. After buying Heitinga and Babel, I couldn't control myself and bought João Miranda, Baumjohann and Anderson; then I desperately tried to sell a few first-teamers but no offers arrived: game over, the club went bankrupt. I start over, again with Parma, this time having acquired enough PES Points to buy both the six-star-difficulty level as well as the ML composition item, which allowed me to recreate a more realistic ML. Four leagues: The Premier League + Celtic and Rangers, a French and German league combo, the "Mediterranean League" - best Serie A teams + best La Liga + Porto, Sporting and Benfica (not exactly from a Mediterranean country but we'd like to think so) and the Other Leagues...League...? with European sides from all over the continent...and Brazil's São Paulo. Parma starts in the 2nd division alongside other Serie A and La Liga sides. I have to get this Wonderkid Fever under control though...

Back
Top Bottom