The Retro-PES Corner

High temperature, coughing, feeling extremely tired; you know what that means: I had a severe case of Wonderkid Fever. After buying Heitinga and Babel, I couldn't control myself and bought João Miranda, Baumjohann and Anderson; then I desperately tried to sell a few first-teamers but no offers arrived: game over, the club went bankrupt. I start over, again with Parma, this time having acquired enough PES Points to buy both the six-star-difficulty level as well as the ML composition item, which allowed me to recreate a more realistic ML. Four leagues: The Premier League + Celtic and Rangers, a French and German league combo, the "Mediterranean League" - best Serie A teams + best La Liga + Porto, Sporting and Benfica (not exactly from a Mediterranean country but we'd like to think so) and the Other Leagues...League...? with European sides from all over the continent...and Brazil's São Paulo. Parma starts in the 2nd division alongside other Serie A and La Liga sides. I have to get this Wonderkid Fever under control though...

I did the same thing goddamn. PES 5 AI smart enough to not buy defaulters. I think you either sell them right away the very first window or it's GG.

They're going to just love the trips for their away games :SHOCK: :D

Brazil to Iberia sucks a lot probably, reckon they could learn from their Russian friends in Vladivostok - imagine flying literally half the globe away for a league match every single fucken time. 🐑 That's like a million kilometers!

I did the same thing goddamn. PES 5 AI smart enough to not buy defaulters. I think you either sell them right away the very first window or it's GG.

Brazil to Iberia sucks a lot probably, reckon they could learn from their Russian friends in Vladivostok - imagine flying literally half the globe away for a league match every single fucken time. 🐑 That's like a million kilometers!
Basically, and I don't know if it is part of the difficulty, but the transfers AI of COM teams regarding offers to your players was terrible, if not in all ps2 games, for sure on PES 5/6.
As I liked to renew roster every season, I have noticed many times that it is almost impossible to receive offers. By default I received 1 offer every one or two seasons.
No matter if it was youngsters, superstars or whatever. Even putting as many players as possible, as transfer listed, I hardly remember to receive offers. It was absent in a bug level.

What was only possible, was make player swap transfers and when money needed, swap my expensive players, with less paid one.

It was from my biggest problems.

For a period I had theories, that maybe other teams were hesitating, vauuse I had my players overpaid more salaries than they diserved, or because I had 5 years contract with all my players, etc.

But thats just mindtricks. Truth is that transfers algorithm is not from the most polished parts of those games.

Okay fam emergency time

So I was checking what the default team was in PES 3 World Patch and it was your regular, default team a couple days ago. Seriously I literally wanted to start playing Master League today and I pick Betis press start and guess what, it's that random wacky wendetta gang, all the spellys and fluminense and what not, this is not a default team at least #notmydefaultteam.

How in the everloving fuck did this happen, it was fine two days ago? I did not install any files or anything. The only reason I got this patch is precisely because Wendetta has that trash default team. I swear it was normal before. What now? Can't even find a PES 3 Editor anywhere. Any way to restore the classic, normal default team? Otherwise PES 3 ML has no meaning.

Help a man out pls 🐑

Basically, and I don't know if it is part of the difficulty, but the transfers AI of COM teams regarding offers to your players was terrible, if not in all ps2 games, for sure on PES 5/6.
As I liked to renew roster every season, I have noticed many times that it is almost impossible to receive offers. By default I received 1 offer every one or two seasons.
No matter if it was youngsters, superstars or whatever. Even putting as many players as possible, as transfer listed, I hardly remember to receive offers. It was absent in a bug level.

What was only possible, was make player swap transfers and when money needed, swap my expensive players, with less paid one.

It was from my biggest problems.

For a period I had theories, that maybe other teams were hesitating, vauuse I had my players overpaid more salaries than they diserved, or because I had 5 years contract with all my players, etc.

But thats just mindtricks. Truth is that transfers algorithm is not from the most polished parts of those games.

In Pes 3 the algorythm works mostly fine tbh. You usually get a decent number of offers for players you put on transfer list and even for the others (I remember, in my recentish ML, CPU often tried to buy from me Baggio or Redondo even if I didn't put them for sold). Can't say for sure for Pes 4. I have vague memories of receiving offers in both that and Winning Eleven 8 Liveware, but I could be wrong, it has been too much time :) ! 5 and 6 are a mess as you said, even if I'm pretty sure I used to see at least one or two offers for my defaults in the very first season (which used to never happen with a real roster), then nothing at all of course.

In Pes 3 the algorythm works mostly fine tbh. You usually get a decent number of offers for players you put on transfer list and even for the others (I remember, in my recentish ML, CPU often tried to buy from me Baggio or Redondo even if I didn't put them for sold). Can't say for sure for Pes 4. I have vague memories of receiving offers in both that and Winning Eleven 8 Liveware, but I could be wrong, it has been too much time :) ! 5 and 6 are a mess as you said, even if I'm pretty sure I used to see at least one or two offers for my defaults in the very first season (which used to never happen with a real roster), then nothing at all of course.
Correct 100%. Yes first season seems to work when transferlisting players. After first seasons it malfunctions.

It is shame cause i always wanted to build teams, like Porto or Lyon of 00's project, buying players for 5mil. and selling them for 20mil. to big clubs, while achieving some CL and El glory nights.

Okay fam emergency time

So I was checking what the default team was in PES 3 World Patch and it was your regular, default team a couple days ago. Seriously I literally wanted to start playing Master League today and I pick Betis press start and guess what, it's that random wacky wendetta gang, all the spellys and fluminense and what not, this is not a default team at least #notmydefaultteam.

How in the everloving fuck did this happen, it was fine two days ago? I did not install any files or anything. The only reason I got this patch is precisely because Wendetta has that trash default team. I swear it was normal before. What now? Can't even find a PES 3 Editor anywhere. Any way to restore the classic, normal default team? Otherwise PES 3 ML has no meaning.

Help a man out pls 🐑

There are two editors. One - WeOptEditor, I think - allows you to copy and paste from a second option file. Not right now but I could dig out all the necessary stuff and send it to you.

I think it's absolutely insane when patch-makers touch the ML defaults. Their patch, their rules, I guess; but it's sacrilege to me!

I'm too much of a purest/control freak for patches. From what I remember, though, that PES3 World Patch is brilliant because it doesn't touch the menus/music/crowd noise.

"What would this game look like if it was fully licensed" is my measure. Team names, player names, kits. That's pretty much it for me. Otherwise leave it as God (Seabass) intended!

Fixed it with WeOpt, but if the other one is able to move players / change numbers and tactics of default team yeah I wish I could get one!

https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-3-world-patch-2003-04.82940/page-2#post-3623095

I think it's absolutely insane when patch-makers touch the ML defaults. Their patch, their rules, I guess; but it's sacrilege to me!

I would probably do the same as a kid, gotta remember this was 15+ years ago. But right now, in 2020, I need me the default stinkers.

Best Master League ever is coming, fucken get ready 🐑

There is a Greek saying Windows Vista= Windows SVISTA. "Svista" in Greek is an imperative command, it means "delete them now" :P
The same saying exists in italian, but in Italian "svista" means "mistake". 😆

(yes I know this post is old but I'm catching up, I promise).

Last edited:
Fixed it with WeOpt, but if the other one is able to move players / change numbers and tactics of default team yeah I wish I could get one!

https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-3-world-patch-2003-04.82940/page-2#post-3623095

I would probably do the same as a kid, gotta remember this was 15+ years ago. But right now, in 2020, I need me the default stinkers.

Best Master League ever is coming, fucken get ready 🐑

EditPES3OptionFile will let you change the order and shirt numbers, I'm almost certain. But only WeOptEditor can let you change tactics and, as you'll know already, it doesn't treat the ML squad as a team. :-/

No way would I have changed them as a kid. I've always been too much of a square!

Nearly forgot I made this quiz last night. Cos I'm cool. Big up the forgotten PES United lads.

There are other forgotten souls, of course. Giving them some airtime is next on my agenda...

Last edited:
How you do with roster management and rotation? My fatigue+ Form arrows convert the team to casualties of war.
And especially when it is Palmieri out, I consider it a lost battle before it starts.

Players are constantly complaining but i dont see yet how that will effect the team on the long run. Palmieri thankfully does pretty well, im in December currently, without any issue. Only Lothar (GK) and Jaric(CB) are out for 30 weeks so far, the rest are minor injuries. Problem is many players in my first team are very slow with bad first touch so its hard to create chances and their kicking power also around the 60s so its also hard to have long shots. Im still pulling two youth players from the second team, perhaps they can make the difference, one of them is a 190cm attacker perhaps ill convert to long balls in January with him.

Players are constantly complaining but i dont see yet how that will effect the team on the long run. Palmieri thankfully does pretty well, im in December currently, without any issue. Only Lothar (GK) and Jaric(CB) are out for 30 weeks so far, the rest are minor injuries. Problem is many players in my first team are very slow with bad first touch so its hard to create chances and their kicking power also around the 60s so its also hard to have long shots. Im still pulling two youth players from the second team, perhaps they can make the difference, one of them is a 190cm attacker perhaps ill convert to long balls in January with him.
Wow, there are injuries this long in 2012? Cool, I completely removed it. The longest I've had in 13 so far is 8 weeks.

IIRC players with constant complaints, will get an angry face, leading them to either bad Form arrow, or they will not accept contract renewal.

1.90, the guy named Schwarz? I don't like So tall players for some reason. except for GK- CB-DMF. Call me an elitist!! :D

Editing the Defaults? My God, just the thought of it makes me feel dirty.

Scored 19 of 23 on @Flipper the Priest 's quiz - missed an 'r' on the Peruvian forward's name...not that long ago I played a ML with PES United; if it were WE United I'd be in trouble. I know there's one of my favourite PES/WE United players (we need a name for them, just like the Defaults have) there, Iujimano, the best African player ever who of course is Sutto and FC Porto's reserve team reject, Fillco.

EditPES3OptionFile will let you change the order and shirt numbers, I'm almost certain. But only WeOptEditor can let you change tactics and, as you'll know already, it doesn't treat the ML squad as a team. :-/

No way would I have changed them as a kid. I've always been too much of a square!

Nearly forgot I made this quiz last night. Cos I'm cool. Big up the forgotten PES United lads.

There are other forgotten souls, of course. Giving them some airtime is next on my agenda...
8/23... I thought I could do better, especially as when I read the names I thought multiple times "how the heck I could forget about him"?

pwdYCOJ.png

I tried to type in Rodriguez so many times and I was wondering why it wouldn't work... That's why.

Well, better luck next time I guess.

By the way, wasn't Fillco a thing back then? Or did he play for their arch-rivals WE United? I can't remember.

IIRC players with constant complaints, will get an angry face, leading them to either bad Form arrow, or they will not accept contract renewal.

1.90, the guy named Schwarz? I don't like So tall players for some reason. except for GK- CB-DMF. Call me an elitist!! :D

Its Ribeiro. He already scored on his second game, not a header tho but he can hold up the play at least. Promoted Sahafi(CF, another player added already to the score sheet) as well with Mattson(CB). For some reason, Mattson doesnt have any attributes (besides he is 16yrs old) but he can tackle almost the best recently. I also started to play Irjescu as he has a kicking power of 83 so he could potentially make those long shots and i just have to play Shimizu down the middle so he can deliver those passess and turns, with any other player we are lost due to the poor first touch and and slow turn.
However still bottom at the table. :D

Attachments

• Képkivágás.JPG
    Képkivágás.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 19
@*aLe: It's a tricky one, because in theory you are right about the pronunciation of the name, but the keeper's name is, as usual, "Konamized"...
Curiously Kondelenan was one of the guys I missed...

this time having acquired enough PES Points to buy both the six-star-difficulty level as well as the ML composition item, which allowed me to recreate a more realistic ML. Four leagues: The Premier League + Celtic and Rangers, a French and German league combo, the "Mediterranean League" - best Serie A teams + best La Liga + Porto, Sporting and Benfica (not exactly from a Mediterranean country but we'd like to think so) and the Other Leagues...League...?
This is another interesting setup, a nice alternative to the one I used to put in place back in the day:
  • D1 North: teams from England, Scotland, Netherlands and the Scandinavian area (Denmark, Sweden, Norway) if any
  • D1 West: teams from Spain, Portugal, Belgium and France
  • D1 South: teams from Italy, Greece, Turkey and the Alpine area (Austria, Switzerland) if any
  • D1 East: teams from Germany, the Balcanic area (Croatia, Serbia) if any and Eastern Europe (Czech Republic, Russia, Romania) if any
I've always felt that having a fifth league would've been ideal (so I could create a 'D1 Centre' with Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the Netherlands and leave the 'D1 East' league for... Well, the Eastern countries) but we always had to make do with what we had.

I would group the leagues like this:

Balkan League: Ex Yugoslavia, Greece, Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania
Latin League: Portugal, Spain, Italy, France
Royal League: Great Britain, Scandinavian countries, Benelux
Mitropa League: Central and Eastern Europe

:)

Setting up the ML is always the hardest decision for me. I want to put it in regions and play in a D2 where the team I am and the others are from the same region as my D1. However when I'm setting it up I then see teams in other leagues and think unless I get to the European competitions I'm never going to get to play them and even then maybe not and then spend time thinking shall I change it!

Those setups are better than mine really. Tempted to restart - again - picking up a few of your ideas but things are going so well at the moment, I don't have the courage really. I'm one game away from the Winter break (and consequently the transfer period) and my Parma is currently 1st in the league, grabbing only two draws and no losses so far. I've already guaranteed I will survive financially at the end of the season - providing my Wonderkid Fever doesn't reappear...- so I might use some PES Points to grab...just one Wonderkid...?...please...? This time I won't buy Heitinga surely (because unlike on my previous attempt, Ajax is part of this ML world, so acquiring him would be harder - and more expensive -; I might have to settle for a Vomme...

----

New PES5 Wonderkids series post: now, Wingers.
https://liberomagazine.wordpress.com/2020/11/24/the-pes5-wonderkids-part-8-wingers/
The first of those you would have to have had spent the last fifteen years living in a cave if you don't know his whole story, but as usual, there are a few interesting surprises there.

https://liberomagazine.wordpress.com/2020/11/24/the-pes5-wonderkids-part-8-wingers/
The first of those you would have to have had spent the last fifteen years living in a cave if you don't know his whole story, but as usual, there are a few interesting surprises there.

Routledge was awful for us. End product was not in his vocabulary. Like a speedboat without a driver to use the quote Andy Townsend once gave about Darren Huckerby.

Those setups are better than mine really. Tempted to restart - again - picking up a few of your ideas but things are going so well at the moment, I don't have the courage really. I'm one game away from the Winter break (and consequently the transfer period) and my Parma is currently 1st in the league, grabbing only two draws and no losses so far. I've already guaranteed I will survive financially at the end of the season - providing my Wonderkid Fever doesn't reappear...- so I might use some PES Points to grab...just one Wonderkid...?...please...? This time I won't buy Heitinga surely (because unlike on my previous attempt, Ajax is part of this ML world, so acquiring him would be harder - and more expensive -; I might have to settle for a Vomme...

----

Fantastic read as always! Nice to learn about Park Chu Young and the "ghostly" Ivanildo. Makes me think about the thousands peculiar football stories I completely ignore.
Ivanildo also reminded me a bit of Carlos Alberto, who you surely remember (but can't say if I mentioned him before to you here?). Back then when he was so young and he scored all that goals in that crucial Porto year, I used to thought he would have been the next big thing. Then he completely disappeared from european football shortly after and made an apparently decent career in Brazil without any more broad fame.

Speaking about Pes, it also makes me think how easy it is to pick up most of those wondekids, maybe a bit too much in some cases. It makes sense for the guys yet to fully develop, but CR7 and Robinho, for example.. they already had star stats from the get go and were so easy to buy! Robinho in particular was like well under 400 credits iirc, you could have easily exchange him with a default, or any other low stats player, and a few bucks.

On the opposite, I remember trying to sign Rooney any way possible in my historic Chelsea ML, with no success. Used to think there was some kind of hidden algorythm binding him to Man U for life, but maybe it was just my bad momentum or something :THINK:

Speaking about Pes, it also makes me think how easy it is to pick up most of those wondekids, maybe a bit too much in some cases. It makes sense for the guys yet to fully develop, but CR7 and Robinho, for example.. they already had star stats from the get go and were so easy to buy! Robinho in particular was like well under 400 credits iirc, you could have easily exchange him with a default, or any other low stats player, and a few bucks.

I think it's just because of how OP PES 5/6 development was, players would grow insanely fast. On the other hand, who wants to wait 10 years for their players to grow?

Park Chu Young you can easily buy for 3k points in the first window, ah my favourite op youngster!!!

On the opposite, I remember trying to sign Rooney any way possible in my historic Chelsea ML, with no success. Used to think there was some kind of hidden algorythm binding him to Man U for life, but maybe it was just my bad momentum or something

Spamming points is the only option. My record in PES 6 with very hard ML difficulty was 47k for Ronaldinho, maybe it's still in ML adventures thread somewhere.

In short, go broke 🐑

I remember trying to sign Rooney any way possible in my historic Chelsea ML, with no success. Used to think there was some kind of hidden algorythm binding him to Man U for life, but maybe it was just my bad momentum or something :THINK:

He probably just wasn't prepared to learn another language. He struggles enough with his own. :D

I simmed a very surprisingly entertaining match on the dirty word of entries in the series, PES 2008. I don't often sim games between the CPU as they're often lethargic and painful to watch because they either dribble into defenders or never shoot when it's abundantly obvious they should.

Well for all ridicule PES 2008 gets I feel maybe it's not totally deserved, It's not quite the weighty physics driven football sim yet it's not a vapid prototype either, The game has moments of dribbling brilliance and impressive goal keeping although I'm not sure sure whether defending is erratic at times to mimic the feeling of defences having moments of human vulnerability or if it's simply bad AI but it's strangely refreshing to see compared to the more ultra organised regimented, Bot like defending we get in other games.

Anyway, A fun encounter from 2 of England's best during 2008, There's some great goals and it's in 4K if your device supports it 😉

It's the rematch of the 2008 Champions League Final, Chelsea take on the Premier League Champions, Manchester United at Stamford Bridge in this thrilling encounter from the polarising PES 2008!

Back
Top Bottom