The Retro-PES Corner

pool just destroyed my 3-5-2 that i deployed not long ago and had success with...

no.jpg

lost 2:7, they overloaded the wings and crossed to morientes and cisse
pes 5 and 6 have NOTHING on this title, as to the question earlier i think its really close to pes 3

PES 4 is a game I feel I can do anything in. It obeys all your commands and you feel a lot of freedom when you play. PES 3 is the most difficult and I like challenges, so I like them both, and I prefer them both to PES 6.

I kind of under appreciated PES4.
It was the first to include full leagues, something which is expected today. Imagine only having about half the Premier League!
No stripes in the kit editor though, that was barmy from Konami.
I did score my best goal in PES4, a first time volley which I never even came close to in the later games.
PES6 clouds my judgement because I have fond memories of my English OF. The editing was the best in the series too.

Hi everyone, i hope you're all fine, it's been a while...

Sad that our guru @miguelfcp is not anymore around here...

Question for you, Retro-PES experts:
Has anyone noticed that 4 stars difficulty in PES3 is harder than 5 stars difficulty ? Maybe placebo effect, but the defences are really tighter and overall there is less space imo.
Seems like @Matt10 had the same opinion back then : http://www.soccergaming.com/index.php?threads/does-anyone-else-do-this.97390/

Still trying to figure out which game i like the most. My favorite one is surely one of the we7 serie (we7, pes3, we7ius, we7ijap). WE7 seems the most defensive/difficult one (very much PES5-like but with better attacking cpu) and we7ijap the easiest one (cpu worse than the others, catch-up bug, shooting/crossing/passing easier).

I also enjoyed playing pes 2012 and pes 2013 last month or so, but these games have too much goalfest, they are unbalanced games compared to the ps2 era. It ruins the games for me. I can't imagine starting a ml on these games.

Hi everyone, i hope you're all fine, it's been a while...

Sad that our guru @miguelfcp is not anymore around here...

Question for you, Retro-PES experts:
Has anyone noticed that 4 stars difficulty in PES3 is harder than 5 stars difficulty ? Maybe placebo effect, but the defences are really tighter and overall there is less space imo.
Seems like @Matt10 had the same opinion back then : http://www.soccergaming.com/index.php?threads/does-anyone-else-do-this.97390/

Still trying to figure out which game i like the most. My favorite one is surely one of the we7 serie (we7, pes3, we7ius, we7ijap). WE7 seems the most defensive/difficult one (very much PES5-like but with better attacking cpu) and we7ijap the easiest one (cpu worse than the others, catch-up bug, shooting/crossing/passing easier).

I also enjoyed playing pes 2012 and pes 2013 last month or so, but these games have too much goalfest, they are unbalanced games compared to the ps2 era. It ruins the games for me. I can't imagine starting a ml on these games.

I find the Japanese WE7I the most difficult! :LOL:

Again, because the keeper can drop the ball and it's more difficult to score with headers, I think it has a distinct advantage over the rest. I believe it to be my favourite PES/WE.

I find the Japanese WE7I the most difficult! :LOL:

Again, because the keeper can drop the ball and it's more difficult to score with headers, I think it has a distinct advantage over the rest. I believe it to be my favourite PES/WE.

I should retry it, last time i had very easy time. But take in mind i like playing with the bigger teams, it might be more difficult when using the defaults for example.

I personally don't care about goalkeeper being able to drop the ball, but the headers are even more difficult in original we7, scoring in general is more difficult. I believe it is quite visible.

I should retry it, last time i had very easy time. But take in mind i like playing with the bigger teams, it might be more difficult when using the defaults for example.

I personally don't care about goalkeeper being able to drop the ball, but the headers are even more difficult in original we7, scoring in general is more difficult. I believe it is quite visible.

My ML players are shite, granted, but even playing exhibition matches with good teams I find it more difficult. Keepers dropping the ball is important to how I play so I guess it's more of a thing for me.

I must go back to WE7 to play it more. But to what I have played I find no difference between it and PES3.

My ML players are shite, granted, but even playing exhibition matches with good teams I find it more difficult. Keepers dropping the ball is important to how I play so I guess it's more of a thing for me.

I must go back to WE7 to play it more. But to what I have played I find no difference between it and PES3.

That's interesting. I always thought it was common knowledge that we7ijap was the easiest one, for example here : https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-3-master-league-serie-a-b-95-96.70733/

But i guess, it might vary from player to player, maybe...

You mean WE7Japan and not WE7IUS ? Because WE7Jap is really different from pes3, but we7ius is more similar, but still different.

That's interesting. I always thought it was common knowledge that we7ijap was the easiest one, for example here : https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-3-master-league-serie-a-b-95-96.70733/

But i guess, it might vary from player to player, maybe...

You mean WE7Japan and not WE7IUS ? Because WE7Jap is really different from pes3, but we7ius is more similar, but still different.

Japanese one. Played the Korean one too and I felt no discernable difference between the the five games, other than the Japanese WE7I. I suppose I've never played them, side by side for comparison. Might do that today!

Japanese one. Played the Korean one too and I felt no discernable difference between the the five games, other than the Japanese WE7I. I suppose I've never played them, side by side for comparison. Might do that today!

Korean version is exactly the same as the american edition. The others, 100% sure they are not the same games. The differences might be tiny, but they exist.

pool just destroyed my 3-5-2 that i deployed not long ago and had success with...

View attachment 84941

lost 2:7, they overloaded the wings and crossed to morientes and cisse
pes 5 and 6 have NOTHING on this title, as to the question earlier i think its really close to pes 3

For almost three years I felt like PES 6 was the alpha, and there was no other game better than it. This was of course because it's the most well-known game from the PS2 era and everyone say it's the best PES ever, and that was what attracted me to play it 3 years ago, and I didn't stop playing it until my last proper Master League.

That was before I tried PES 3 and PES 4 in a more complex way (I had played them before but like 5 exhibition matches and then bye bye, I hadn't given them enough chance before).

All my best MLs were in PES 6 and the memories will always be there, I can't deny it, but nowadays I changed my mind and no longer think PES 6 is the best PES.

And about PES 5, well after a year playing it and trying it and giving it lots of chances just to delete it again and go back to PES 6, I can oficially say it's my least favorite game from the PS2 era (at least from the games I played, I never gave PES 1 and PES 2 a chance because well I'm too lazy to download an emulator lmao).

I felt PES 3 & 4 were more fun, and both have lots of things that make them better than PES 5 & 6. But the most important one: flags:COOL:

Okay now seriously: after playing lots of PES 3 and PES 4 the past 12 days I came with my conclusion: PES 3 is really an interesting game, I like the graphics, it's notable that they're not the same as their 3 sucessors. The Master League is more organized and at the same time not so organized: we've got the leagues already designated in a very unique way, but at the same time all the teams from the 2nd div are just random, and they're always the same, you can't change anything. That is a bummer. Like, on one hand I like how the game just makes everything for you like saying "okay man just have these leagues and play with these players, and just play them like this idc" and I like that they're not like in the other ones where they have like three leagues with all teams from the the same country, and then they just leave a league out. That doesn't happen in PES 3, every team is included, even PES United and WE United. I like that because I can't tell how many times I got pissed with PES 5 or PES 6 for leaving the La Liga or Serie A out, and how because of that I always felt the need to unlock the composition. But of course PES 3 has some things I don't really like. The first one being that there's no full leagues in it. And because of that you cannot play a full Premier League, or Serie A in League mode. Then, the ML kinda confuses me. It seems different to the other MLs, like the wages are paid after every game (or that's what I saw) and I don't really feel 100% comfortable with that. And finally the least important thing I don't like: Real Madrid and Barcelona not being licensed. I have been so used to have both those teams licensed, that having them as Chamartin and Cataluna makes me feel kinda weird.

On the other hand PES 4 has full leagues, thing that I love, and like other person said previously, it gives you more freedom. The gameplay is really fun, compared to PES 5 and 6 I think it's better. It's less messy than PES 5 (I hate the PES 5 gameplay, it makes me so uncomfortable), and less robotic than PES 6. The background music in my opinion is the best one, plus I had gotten kinda fed up with the funky edit mode music in PES 5 and 6. On Master League you are not obligated to play with the default players like in PES 3, and you can actually create a team from scratch instead of grabbing PES United or WE United and editing them. Plus one really cool thing is that it doesn't matter if you create a club, pick an unlicensed club or pick a licensed club, you will always be able to edit everything on preseason. You can grab Atalanta for example, and after a season you could invent a history about a takeover at the club, and then create a Red Bull-like logo, and voilá you have now RB Atalanta after the takeover. One of the things I really don't like about this game, is how when you have a free kick or a corner and decide to pause the game, when you resume it the player just kicks it without you asking, and it's annoying because he doesn't even kick it properly, he just gives a shitty pass forward and ruins your chance that way.

So after what I said, this is my opinion nowadays:
PES 4 > PES 3 > PES 6 > PES 5

For almost three years I felt like PES 6 was the alpha, and there was no other game better than it. This was of course because it's the most well-known game from the PS2 era and everyone say it's the best PES ever, and that was what attracted me to play it 3 years ago, and I didn't stop playing it until my last proper Master League.

That was before I tried PES 3 and PES 4 in a more complex way (I had played them before but like 5 exhibition matches and then bye bye, I hadn't given them enough chance before).

All my best MLs were in PES 6 and the memories will always be there, I can't deny it, but nowadays I changed my mind and no longer think PES 6 is the best PES.

And about PES 5, well after a year playing it and trying it and giving it lots of chances just to delete it again and go back to PES 6, I can oficially say it's my least favorite game from the PS2 era (at least from the games I played, I never gave PES 1 and PES 2 a chance because well I'm too lazy to download an emulator lmao).

I felt PES 3 & 4 were more fun, and both have lots of things that make them better than PES 5 & 6. But the most important one: flags:COOL:

Okay now seriously: after playing lots of PES 3 and PES 4 the past 12 days I came with my conclusion: PES 3 is really an interesting game, I like the graphics, it's notable that they're not the same as their 3 sucessors. The Master League is more organized and at the same time not so organized: we've got the leagues already designated in a very unique way, but at the same time all the teams from the 2nd div are just random, and they're always the same, you can't change anything. That is a bummer. Like, on one hand I like how the game just makes everything for you like saying "okay man just have these leagues and play with these players, and just play them like this idc" and I like that they're not like in the other ones where they have like three leagues with all teams from the the same country, and then they just leave a league out. That doesn't happen in PES 3, every team is included, even PES United and WE United. I like that because I can't tell how many times I got pissed with PES 5 or PES 6 for leaving the La Liga or Serie A out, and how because of that I always felt the need to unlock the composition. But of course PES 3 has some things I don't really like. The first one being that there's no full leagues in it. And because of that you cannot play a full Premier League, or Serie A in League mode. Then, the ML kinda confuses me. It seems different to the other MLs, like the wages are paid after every game (or that's what I saw) and I don't really feel 100% comfortable with that. And finally the least important thing I don't like: Real Madrid and Barcelona not being licensed. I have been so used to have both those teams licensed, that having them as Chamartin and Cataluna makes me feel kinda weird.

On the other hand PES 4 has full leagues, thing that I love, and like other person said previously, it gives you more freedom. The gameplay is really fun, compared to PES 5 and 6 I think it's better. It's less messy than PES 5 (I hate the PES 5 gameplay, it makes me so uncomfortable), and less robotic than PES 6. The background music in my opinion is the best one, plus I had gotten kinda fed up with the funky edit mode music in PES 5 and 6. On Master League you are not obligated to play with the default players like in PES 3, and you can actually create a team from scratch instead of grabbing PES United or WE United and editing them. Plus one really cool thing is that it doesn't matter if you create a club, pick an unlicensed club or pick a licensed club, you will always be able to edit everything on preseason. You can grab Atalanta for example, and after a season you could invent a history about a takeover at the club, and then create a Red Bull-like logo, and voilá you have now RB Atalanta after the takeover. One of the things I really don't like about this game, is how when you have a free kick or a corner and decide to pause the game, when you resume it the player just kicks it without you asking, and it's annoying because he doesn't even kick it properly, he just gives a shitty pass forward and ruins your chance that way.

About the PAUSE incident. Someone else asked it some weeks ago. I assume you are playing with keyboard?
If yes , just PAUSE/UPAUSE using the key you binded for "START" . "1" or "spacebar", or whatever else and avoid ENTER and/or ESCAPE. Just for PAUSING/RESUMING.

So if you are on keyboard, use this proper pushing of START button and problem solved :)

About the PAUSE incident. Someone else asked it some weeks ago. I assume you are playing with keyboard?
If yes , just PAUSE/UPAUSE using the key you binded for "START" . "1" or "spacebar", or whatever else and avoid ENTER and/or ESCAPE. Just for PAUSING/RESUMING.

So if you are on keyboard, use this proper pushing of START button and problem solved :)

Thanks a lot :)

It's considered blasphemy in some quarters to speak of PES5 in that way but no judgement here. The more and more I play the Konami football games (to use a general term covering all the PESes and WEs) the more I prefer the older titles, PES3 and earlier.

No right or wrong, obviously. Interesting to read what motivates others. Even myself - I find my opinion changing frequently! They're all so good.

It's considered blasphemy in some quarters to speak of PES5 in that way but no judgement here. The more and more I play the Konami football games (to use a general term covering all the PESes and WEs) the more I prefer the older titles, PES3 and earlier.

No right or wrong, obviously. Interesting to read what motivates others. Even myself - I find my opinion changing frequently! They're all so good.

I know right? It feels good and bad when you have lots of great options and can't decide what to choose.

I hope I don't get sent to the gulag for talking about PES 5 like that lmfao

Our next 2 games are against Southampton :SICK:, (just above relegation zone)

Come on you Shrimps! :BSCARF:

I hope I don't get sent to the gulag for talking about PES 5 like that lmfao

:LOL:

No but you might for this :SHOCK: :D

You can grab Atalanta for example, and after a season you could invent a history about a takeover at the club, and then create a Red Bull-like logo, and voilá you have now RB Atalanta after the takeover

Last edited:
All versions had brilliant features. Konami's problem was having exclusive features per game that were never seen again (team call names for teams not in game, THREE divisions in ML, option for tighter shirts, all-star teams etc) I would love to see a version released that combined ALL of the games together.

All versions had brilliant features. Konami's problem was having exclusive features per game that were never seen again (team call names for teams not in game, THREE divisions in ML, option for tighter shirts, all-star teams etc) I would love to see a version released that combined ALL of the games together.

Or even fundamental things like being able to put your centre backs up for corners. :D

The first goal is nice, but the second is one of the best goals (if not the best) AI has ever scored against me. What an action. It was lucky I recorded it on this gorgeous camera.

An awesome goal that second one, I would have been over the moon to score it myself, never mind see the AI produce such a move.

I think I first bought PES 4 for the PS2, but at this point the loading times and limited save space of the PS2 were feeling onerous (had to think about how much space was left on my two memory cards!), and so I was delighted to see there was a PC version, which I bought. I was certainly very impressed by the advantages of PES 4 on the PC - lovely big, sharp graphics that put my TV + PS2 experience to shame, much faster loading times between all stages of the game and almost more spaces for saves than I could possibly use. I have very fond memories of the way PES 4 looked and played on PC, so I can understand the enthusiasm some here have for it.

However, on the PC I found one glaring problem with PES 4, which was that the directions I could pass and move in seemed more like eight-way than truly analogue. Maybe that was an incompatibility issue between my PS2 joypad-to-PC adapter and the game, or the way I calibrated the joypad in Windows, but it was quite frustrating compared to the PS2 version, and meant that I never got a full experience out of PES 4 on the PC as I had with PES 3 on PS2. I had to wait until PES 5 for a fully working PC Pro Evo game.

Last edited:
😂
Never saw the GK touch the ball never mind score. It was nice to know it could happen though.
Handball too! Never saw that again.

The crowd animations on PES 5 comes to mind.

Which version of PES was it where the fans were missing in the stadium?
Quite realistic now!

It was PES 5... It felt kinda creepy that in the animations they appeared, and that during the game you would hear their cheering, but they're not there. Kinda makes you think they're all ghosts. I wonder if there is a PES creepypasta that is related to that.

Back
Top Bottom