The Retro-PES Corner

In terms of making Master League harder, I never look at “players open to negotiation”. You can buy a few from there and you’re well on the way to a great team. If you actually have to hunt around a bit it’s much harder. I go into each team (or nationality) manually and try and find players that way. If you can resist looking at their “negotiation difficulty”
that’s even better. It means many more failed attempts to buy players. It’s just more fun to dig around in the Deportivo reserves or something than it is to have everyone laid out on a convenient list. For the same reason I never use the menus for “players with future potential” or even the search options really.

As well as that, I just avoid “boring” transfers. By that I mean players that you’ve bought many times before who you already know will become world class. For example Walcott on PES 6.

I’ve just started a ML. I’m in D2. When I get to D1 (not guaranteed yet!) I’m thinking of doing something I never do and buying a couple of veterans. I’ll have a mainly young side but think it’s be cool if I had an old school super sub like Inzaghi or someone.

@ToZanarkand that’s a good way to make negotiations harder. Also in 2008 if you play with ML difficulty on Hard then it doesnt display ‘negotiation difficulty’ anyway. Not sure if that feature is in PES6 though.

Hello, i played al lot of PES 3,5,6 and 2008 on the Playstation 2. Bought a XBOX360 for 20 Dollars and bought PES 6 an 2008.
PES 2008 is great, dont no why now one play this?

I played now 2 seasons in the Master League on PES 6 with the original Players. (Castolo etc.).
Only scored 6 goals!!! in this two seasons on regular difficulty. I cant score an win lol
I cant shoot, two high or only hard as a pass. On the Plasystation 2 i think it was never so hard, ok i think the shooting in PES 6 was there alsothe badest of the PES Games.
In 2008 on the XBOX 360 it is no problem and the shots are great.

Any tipps on shooting? I have more an more the feeling it is a problem with the game on the Xbox

Hello @zimbo1979 it is good to hear that you think PES 2008 is great on the PS2. To answer your question, don't no why no one play this? It's because basically the PC version and PS3 version were rubbish and this has deeply ingrained people's thoughts on the game. Along with that, there have been so many patches for PES 5 and 6 etc... which keep those games ticking over nicely. If only some would give the PS2 version of PES 2008 a chance and they will see that this game is magical. The best bits of PES 5 and 6 combined. If the PC version was the same as the PS2 version then without a doubt it would be far more popular because then it would have all the bells and whistles that 5 and 6 have :)

Sorry but I cannot give you tips on shooting as I don't play PES 6.

Onto my ML....

The January transfer window came and thankfully there were no offers for Sargent :) but I am sure that there will be some pre season. I was desperately after a striker and a defender. A striker because Rush is out for a bit and Akinola has not been scoring. I was trying to buy CF Roman Yaremchuk but all my offers were rejected. So I turned my attention to CB Marc Guehi who plays for Swansea on loan from Chelsea in real life, and I managed to get him for 4000 points on 400 salary on a 3 year contract. He has jumped straight into the team. So hopefully we won't be conceding so many goals.

So onto the second half of the season and it's Match Day 16 v relegation strugglers Leeds.

Bottom of the table looks like this:-

12. Southend 15
13. Southampton 13
14. Everton 13
15. Leeds 9
16. Norwich 6

A win would see us pull 9 points clear.

Hello @zimbo1979 it is good to hear that you think PES 2008 is great on the PS2. To answer your question, don't no why no one play this? It's because basically the PC version and PS3 version were rubbish and this has deeply ingrained people's thoughts on the game. Along with that, there have been so many patches for PES 5 and 6 etc... which keep those games ticking over nicely. If only some would give the PS2 version of PES 2008 a chance and they will see that this game is magical. The best bits of PES 5 and 6 combined. If the PC version was the same as the PS2 version then without a doubt it would be far more popular because then it would have all the bells and whistles that 5 and 6 have :)

Sorry but I cannot give you tips on shooting as I don't play PES 6.

Onto my ML....

The January transfer window came and thankfully there were no offers for Sargent :) but I am sure that there will be some pre season. I was desperately after a striker and a defender. A striker because Rush is out for a bit and Akinola has not been scoring. I was trying to buy CF Roman Yaremchuk but all my offers were rejected. So I turned my attention to CB Marc Guehi who plays for Swansea on loan from Chelsea in real life, and I managed to get him for 4000 points on 400 salary on a 3 year contract. He has jumped straight into the team. So hopefully we won't be conceding so many goals.

So onto the second half of the season and it's Match Day 16 v relegation strugglers Leeds.

Bottom of the table looks like this:-

12. Southend 15
13. Southampton 13
14. Everton 13
15. Leeds 9
16. Norwich 6

A win would see us pull 9 points clear.

How about Southend IRL...

I love the gameplay of PES2008 on PS2. One problem I have though is the handicaps that seem to exist.

Maybe you guys can tell me if this is true or not, but in some PES games it seems they often make the AI easier to beat if it’s a really strong team. Here’s an example. I played an international tournament with Japan recently on 2008. Really struggled in every game against other poor teams. Then I played France late on, who are obviously far stronger, and beat them with ease. In fact I quit because it was about 5-0 at half time. Every shot went in, I was quicker than them all over.

I think this is probably the case with most PES games but this one seemed especially obvious.

Probably just played the best game I've ever played in a PES game despite being absolutely destroyed at the end.

At PES 5, had the crazy idea to set up the match time to 30 minutes. Played a game as Arsenal, against Barça. The game started well, and José Antonio Reyes scored the opener at the 17th minute, and 2 minutes later RVP gave Arsenal a bigger lead, 2-0. But that's when hell broke loose. 47 seconds later, Henrik Larsson scored, and it's 2-1. Then we defended nicely until the last minute of the first half, when Larsson confirmed his brace and the comeback, so 2-2 at half time.

We started the second half in great shape, and Thierry Henry proved it by giving us the lead once again at the 50th minute. And after that we played great, created lots of chances that were making Barça brown their undies, until the tragedy happened. 67th minute, Barça coming for attack, Giuly enters the box and Ljungberg gave away a stupid penalty. Lehmann tried his best, but Larsson got his hattrick, 3-3.

After that penalty Arsenal suddenly started to play with the quality of fuckin Northampton Town, and since Barça got more confidence, they ruined us. Two more Larsson goals and one Giuly goal sealed a 6-3 win for Barça.

Yep, I recognize I got fuckin clapped but I hadn't enjoyed a game that much in a long time.

How about Southend IRL...

Yeh fantastic goal that one and a fantastic win. Takes them out of the drop zone :)

I love the gameplay of PES2008 on PS2. One problem I have though is the handicaps that seem to exist.

Maybe you guys can tell me if this is true or not, but in some PES games it seems they often make the AI easier to beat if it’s a really strong team. Here’s an example. I played an international tournament with Japan recently on 2008. Really struggled in every game against other poor teams. Then I played France late on, who are obviously far stronger, and beat them with ease. In fact I quit because it was about 5-0 at half time. Every shot went in, I was quicker than them all over.

I think this is probably the case with most PES games but this one seemed especially obvious.

I don’t experience better teams being easier to beat than the bad teams. But that is in ML so maybe it plays different. I have been spanked by Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc...but against worse teams i can pick up points.

I'm determined to get back into editing and even look at patches. First face I tried broke GGS and now the AFS file is corrupt and PES won't load 💔

Guys, a little survey : Which time setting do you use on your retro-PES adventures ? 5, 10, 15, 20 minutes or something else ? On which game ?
I always was a 15 minutes game guy
, but now i'm trying 10 minutes.

Guys, a little survey : Which time setting do you use on your retro-PES adventures ? 5, 10, 15, 20 minutes or something else ? On which game ?

exactly the same, and welcome back
just a bit harder like that, not so much time to score and if the com scores its that extra tension

Always been 10 minutes on all games. Matches usually last almost bang on 15 minutes including breaks, a nice and neat four matches in an hour. Usually returns a good number of incidents - goals, cards, etc. I see no need in going longer.

For me it's 15mins, i find it makes the gameplay less fast paced and I can play it about more building attacks. Also the stats are pretty good too. I understand what @cosmo regarding 10 mins adding more tension if CPU scores first. But it can also add more tension if you score first and you have longer to hold on at 15mins ;)

on the less fast paced aspect, with wide cam and max angle together with zoom out by cam tool its really slow, this for me the best way slowing it down, and luckily is enough for we9le

Always 10 minutes. On every PES.

When I’m in a really good ML game I always wish they went on for longer, but there’s two reasons for keeping it at 10. I don’t really like the idea of changing between 10 or 15 either.

1 - It’s harder. The longer the game goes on, the more chance I’ll beat the CPU. With 10 mins there’s always some danger they sneak a winner.

2 - There’s usually some pointless games in the season. Like group stage matches when you’ve already qualified or second legs where you’re comfortably ahead. (Which is another thing, I wish domestic cups were only one game!)

I'm trying to dive into some older games, like Winning Eleven 1or 2, but I was wondering, are there any patches for it and if so, how would you get them to work considering you'd have to run the game through an emulator

2 - There’s usually some pointless games in the season. Like group stage matches when you’ve already qualified or second legs where you’re comfortably ahead. (Which is another thing, I wish domestic cups were only one game!)
I agree with this so much. I am 4-0 up already in the first leg sometimes and then, second leg I just don't feel like playing since it's pretty much pointless. So I just put the controller to the side, and watch the AI move and play until I get the ball again, or they score . Then I will start playing again and if I lose the ball then that repeats. This is really risky since I could probably lose games like this but considering I am comfortably ahead on aggregate im not that scared

Usually 15 minutes for me. On Amador I played 20 and even some 30 minute games. Also depends on your OF as to what sort of speed stats the player's are set at and if you have speeder set higher or lower than 1 too. I once experimented with having speed set right down with the max at about 25-30. It was actually really good because you couldn't react instantly to the AI, or rather you could in your mind but your player would take his own time :))

I'm trying to dive into some older games, like Winning Eleven 1or 2, but I was wondering, are there any patches for it and if so, how would you get them to work considering you'd have to run the game through an emulator

As far as I know, Winning Eleven/Goal Storm and Winning Eleven 97/ISS Pro (WE2, to all intents and purposes) have - incredibly - never been patched. And I've been around the houses looking!

You'll find patches for WE3 onwards, usually in BIN/CUE which you can play through ePSXe on your PC or mobile, or through pretty much any PS3 emulator, like a regular game.

There are loads of patches for Winning Eleven 2002 (PES2) on the PS1. More than I've had hot dinners. Including...

Usually 15 minutes for me. On Amador I played 20 and even some 30 minute games. Also depends on your OF as to what sort of speed stats the player's are set at and if you have speeder set higher or lower than 1 too. I once experimented with having speed set right down with the max at about 25-30. It was actually really good because you couldn't react instantly to the AI, or rather you could in your mind but your player would take his own time :))

Yep totally agree with what you say about the speed stat. I have reduced the speed on my option file so the longer the match the better. As i mentioned earlier it makes it more tense when holding on. At 10 mins once it goes to injury time you may get one more CPU attack. At 15 mins, you could clear that attack then the ball gets hoofed back in the box, you clear that one, then the ball comes back again...it really is tense but a great feeling if you hold on.

Nah it's not just you, That's been a fundamental of PES for as long as the player models could blink it seems. It's not always subtle either, It also works in the reverse if you're a strong team playing against a smaller one you should reasonably be able to walk through, It turns underdogs into Greece 2004 and they seemingly have an answer for every problem you try and throw their way.

Obviously it's a mechanic designed to emulate the unpredictable feeling of football, that big teams can have bad days or that underdogs can create incredible upsets once in a while... or at least that's the theory but as you say, Sometimes it's not exactly in moderation.
It depends but usually my average is 15 minutes if it's a session I'm invested in or if I'm doing a tournament then I'll ramp it up to 20 minutes for the knockout or significant fixtures.

But if I just want to bash through a bunch of matches casually with low pressure when I've got a spare hour I'll just whack it on 10 minutes.

The problem with these games though is that as they're never designed to be 90 minute simulators to begin with, When you increase the match time your just increasing the threshold to score more goals in, especially in the older games which are practically assisted, there's less lulls in the game where it slows down, So a 20 minute game can be just that, a frantic 20 minutes of guaranteed end to end action in some case which can maybe alarmingly, result in much more goals.

Never really tried longer games. Is stamina affected? So will it go down slower if you are in a longer game?

As far as I know, Winning Eleven/Goal Storm and Winning Eleven 97/ISS Pro (WE2, to all intents and purposes) have - incredibly - never been patched. And I've been around the houses looking!

You'll find patches for WE3 onwards, usually in BIN/CUE which you can play through ePSXe on your PC or mobile, or through pretty much any PS3 emulator, like a regular game.

There are loads of patches for Winning Eleven 2002 (PES2) on the PS1. More than I've had hot dinners. Including...

Wow A Euro 2020 patch? For Pes 2, that is interesting, will definitely give it a go

J-League WE 2008: 20 minutes, original OF.
PES 2008 (PS2): 20 minutes, modified OF (by geeeeee).

I feel like a 10 minutes match ends too quickly, but the arguments to use it seems valid because with 20 minutes in ML I'm usually the team with the most goals scored and against (not in season 1 & 2 when the team still weak). I'll try 15 minutes maybe.

picked cardiff and got second first season d2 behind queens park rangers, 10 points behind, easy second though, weird season for sure..won the cup against the rangers

and no one wanted to buy my players, i had 5 on the transfer list, i guess thats also making it harder :OH:

ps only conceaded 3 goals haha but that was expected with pes5/we, as long as one enemy team scores consistently it should be a good challenge

Back
Top Bottom