The Retro-PES Corner

Yep totally agree with what you say about the speed stat. I have reduced the speed on my option file so the longer the match the better. As i mentioned earlier it makes it more tense when holding on. At 10 mins once it goes to injury time you may get one more CPU attack. At 15 mins, you could clear that attack then the ball gets hoofed back in the box, you clear that one, then the ball comes back again...it really is tense but a great feeling if you hold on.

Yeah also the stamina comes into effect for a longer period too with longer matches. Rather than maybe a minute of game time you might get 2-3 minutes, even more if you're on 30, it really makes it a key part of the game if you have a tired team.

Regarding stamina @mattmid when do you rest your players? I get a bit paranoid and once their stamina is at 60-75% before a match i feel i should leave them out. But i have played players at 50% and they have still played well but obviously don’t last the match.

Regarding stamina @mattmid when do you rest your players?

During the summer, bloody prima donna's :D

Seriously though I do tend to do the thing I hate in real life football, like leaving the best players out of cup ties or games against weak teams when they are beginning to get low. Or if there's a tough game after the next one I might rest a couple so they are fully fit. Depends a bit if it's the defaults or not I suppose. Burchett needs two games off after a sub appearance :LOL:

@mattmid over 100 stamina? 😉
The only time in real life I've heard about players being too tired is when they've qualified for Europe and they have to play more games.
In ML I've rested players for 3-4 games because they are too tired...after playing two in a row.
Burchet is a disgrace 😂

Hmm all this talk about stamina is making me think about globally increasing Stamina on the next update on my OF.

I currently increase SB’s and WB’s by 5 but maybe i should increase them by 10 and everyone else by 5. That should make the ML experience even better because currently my players are handing the captain’s armband around every 5 minutes.

Guys, a little survey : Which time setting do you use on your retro-PES adventures ? 5, 10, 15, 20 minutes or something else ? On which game ?
I always was a 15 minutes game guy
, but now i'm trying 10 minutes.

I find 15mins is great on certain PESes to start with but as you get used to the game, you react faster to situations and you get better players, 10mins is best. I'm on PES 2008 (PS2) and just recently knocked match time down to 10mins as I noticed I was getting 20+ shots on goal in most games.

@geeeeee I find stamina on PES 2008 (PS2) fairly forgiving until you get a run of matches in Europe. Like you, I tend to try and rest players who are have anything less than 75% stamina. Any downwards form arrow (which are strangely rare in PES 2008) is an injury as far as I'm concerned. Talking of injuries, I picked up two in the same match just now. Not seen that for a long time.

Approaching the end of Season 11 in my ML and am comfortably fourth in Div 1 with no hope of catching the top two so I'm putting everything into the Europa Cup having lost in the final last season. Just beat Inter 3-1 over two glorious legs to set up a semi final clash with Lazio.

@geeeeee

Yes, I wish the stamina was more of an effect in matches but was a bit less severe in it's cumulative effect. Having to rest some players after two games is a bit unrealistic really.

Condition does have an effect too, I wonder if you made that 8 for everyone...?

For those who play the Japanese editions, have you found that stamina drains a lot more quickly? First noticed it when I started playing WE6FE. Checked my team at 80 minutes and basically anyone in a running position (out wide, strikers) was done. Fully Burcheted. And I'm very light on the sprint button.

Same goes for my ML but I do question what tangible difference it has. Players are still capable of sprinting, seemingly at full tilt. And there's no obvious increase in likelihood of injury. But I still rest them.

----

Of said ML:

Of course I'd recommend watching the lot as it's action-packed, but the Benfica cup game was ace, despite my hard drive bailing a couple of times. The Stella goal my favourite of the series so far. A real "it couldn't, could it?" as soon as it left his boot!

For those who play the Japanese editions, have you found that stamina drains a lot more quickly? First noticed it when I started playing WE6FE. Checked my team at 80 minutes and basically anyone in a running position (out wide, strikers) was done. Fully Burcheted. And I'm very light on the sprint button.

Same goes for my ML but I do question what tangible difference it has. Players are still capable of sprinting, seemingly at full tilt. And there's no obvious increase in likelihood of injury. But I still rest them.

----

Of said ML:

Of course I'd recommend watching the lot as it's action-packed, but the Benfica cup game was ace, despite my hard drive bailing a couple of times. The Stella goal my favourite of the series so far. A real "it couldn't, could it?" as soon as it left his boot!
Really enjoyed watching that.
Some key moments for me:
THAT goal against Benfica 😱
Your keeper watching a cross go straight in. What on earth...
The WE United keeper stopping you on so many occasions.
Some of the finishing from yourself was so cool 😎
Is this the equivalent of PES3?

Really enjoyed watching that.
Some key moments for me:
THAT goal against Benfica 😱
Your keeper watching a cross go straight in. What on earth...
The WE United keeper stopping you on so many occasions.
Some of the finishing from yourself was so cool 😎
Is this the equivalent of PES3?

Thanks! Means a lot to read that people like it. I certainly love playing it.

In turn:

- I know. An absolute hit. They almost always go high, wide, or handsome. Or blocked. Really needed that goal too.

- If you look closely, the first replay, the defender pretty much shoves him out the way! Was furious.

- WE and PES United have been tricky of late. Unusual as they're usually the weakest teams. But WE have strengthened, clearly. Trezeguet and Umit Karan up top - not bad.

- Trust me, a lot of stuff that didn't make the cut wasn't so cool!

- And yes. It's the Japanese revision that came out between PES3 and PES4. Handily, it comes with a few language options, including English. The player names are in Japanese by default, though. As it stands, it's my favourite PES/WE.

@Flipper the Priest Keep them coming anyway. It was like I was watching real football; I was reacting to all of the key moments and getting too excited at times 😂
I noticed the menus looked like PES3 but the gameplay seemed similar to PES4. I don't remember seeing those kind of shots in PES3. I'll have to give it a go 👍

I find 15mins is great on certain PESes to start with but as you get used to the game, you react faster to situations and you get better players, 10mins is best. I'm on PES 2008 (PS2) and just recently knocked match time down to 10mins as I noticed I was getting 20+ shots on goal in most games.

@geeeeee I find stamina on PES 2008 (PS2) fairly forgiving until you get a run of matches in Europe. Like you, I tend to try and rest players who are have anything less than 75% stamina. Any downwards form arrow (which are strangely rare in PES 2008) is an injury as far as I'm concerned. Talking of injuries, I picked up two in the same match just now. Not seen that for a long time.

Approaching the end of Season 11 in my ML and am comfortably fourth in Div 1 with no hope of catching the top two so I'm putting everything into the Europa Cup having lost in the final last season. Just beat Inter 3-1 over two glorious legs to set up a semi final clash with Lazio.

I am glad I am not at that stage yet when I am having 20+ shots on goal. Like yourself I don't pick players on a blue arrow simply because their stats will be lower. I think you are right the down arrows are rarer in 2008 but I think that is a good thing because in newer games your player could score a hat-trick and then have a blue arrow the next game which doesn't make sense.

Talking of injuries, ouch!

884F4F7A-80D6-47B5-8F92-187809814682.jpeg

@geeeeee

Yes, I wish the stamina was more of an effect in matches but was a bit less severe in it's cumulative effect. Having to rest some players after two games is a bit unrealistic really.

Condition does have an effect too, I wonder if you made that 8 for everyone...?

I wouldn't make condition 8 as most players would be overpowered on a red arrow. I might experiment on one of my matches and pick all the tired players and see what happens (but I won't save it in case it affects my ML and everyone hands in a transfer request because of being overworked :P ). I am sure my players get slower but that could be placebo.

Sorry for the triple post, just being lazy.

Match Day 17 against relegation rivals, Everton.

Here is the table.

1. Liverpool 45
2. Man City 41
3. Man United 31

12. Southend 18
13. Southampton 14
14. Everton 13
15. Leeds 9
16. Norwich 6

----

Of said ML:

The commentators are great,is there a Winning Eleven Patch with the Japanes Commentators?

I wouldn't make condition 8 as most players would be overpowered on a red arrow. I might experiment on one of my matches and pick all the tired players and see what happens (but I won't save it in case it affects my ML and everyone hands in a transfer request because of being overworked :P ). I am sure my players get slower but that could be placebo.

Isn't that consistency? The game hidden stat that is editable in the Editor though.

Condition according to PES 6 in game edit is: The higher this value the less the player tires and the less his condition deteriorates with consecutive matches.

And I'm calling it now - there's a late run for Europe going on in Southend!

Isn't that consistency? The game hidden stat that is editable in the Editor though.

Condition according to PES 6 in game edit is: The higher this value the less the player tires and the less his condition deteriorates with consecutive matches.

And I'm calling it now - there's a late run for Europe going on in Southend!

7A49DDEB-F076-4508-8762-1EA22E084E73_1_201_a.jpeg

Condition is the one that affects the arrows. If you get red arrow it gives boost to stats, green is normal stats, blue is reduced stats.

I have never seen Consistency officially explained but I am guessing the name Consistency means how often they will perform to their best.

Yes, we can still get in Europe, what a change around but we will keep our feet on the ground.

It's hotting up at the top with Liverpool losing to Arsenal and Man City beating Spurs, Man City are now top.

Well, I've done most of another season, and a surprise team might win the league. With about five games left, I am second in the league by two points to Monaco. In previous seasons they've often been in the European spots, but they've not been higher than fourth before now. They've led for most of the season. In my last game I played them, and went into the lead in the second half only for them to equalise late on, preventing me from taking the lead in the table. I had lost our first meeting earlier in the year.

My season started off very well, with a 4-0 victory over reigning champions Barca on the opening day, but since then I have been uncharacteristically low scoring. Both me and Barca have been losing and drawing a bit more frequently than in previous recent seasons; the Spaniards are currently about six points behind me. They haven't looked strong from the start, but things got worse for them when Ronaldinho got injured after about six games; he is due to return a few matches before the end of the year.

I am into the D1 Cup final with Monaco and that will be my very next match when I load it up, but I was knocked out of the European Cup in the quarters by Newcastle, on away goals. That was particularly disappointing; I had played quite poorly in the first (home) leg and let in a couple of late goals, then in the second leg I scored early but they managed a late winner with Ameobi. It was a tricky match, with snowy conditions confusing me a bit, but to be honest I've been on rather rubbish form most of the season. Ok, I've been competent and working hard, but I've lost my edge a bit and the Brazilian flair has gone out of my play! The Euro Cup had been going so well too; in the group stage I scored 20 goals in six games, including a 5-0 win over Arsenal (lost the return 2-1) and two 4-0 victories over AC Milan! Sadly the form of those performances abandoned me against Newcastle. The final will now be contested by Newcastle (who sneaked past Man Utd) against Bayern Munich, which is a bit perverse because the UEFA Cup final is between Real Madrid and PSV, both higher in their respective leagues than the EC finalists.

I have been winning the majority of my games, especially in the second half of the season, but they are almost always 1-0 or 2-1, and so I have been working hard not to drop points. I usually have loads of shots on goal, but not recently. Monaco have made very few mistakes, losing just one game (to Rhone) and I am worried that they will win all their remaining games, though I think they have Barca on the last day (Monaco won the first match).

@geeeeee In true Konami style that is arse about face isn't it! :LOL: You would think that consistency should relate to their form (ie the more consistent a player they are the more likely they are to play to or above their base ability, where as an erratic player could be a red arrow one game and a blue arrow the next. I've always thought those arrows should be hidden, you really shouldn't know how your player is going to be playing before he plays.

It would surely be logical that condition was entirely about their stamina/fitness! Being fitter shouldn't make the player play better. We had an extremely fit player in Lge 2 who would run all day, he was still shit though. :LOL:

@Flipper the Priest Keep them coming anyway. It was like I was watching real football; I was reacting to all of the key moments and getting too excited at times 😂
I noticed the menus looked like PES3 but the gameplay seemed similar to PES4. I don't remember seeing those kind of shots in PES3. I'll have to give it a go 👍

Thanks! Well worth it. I'd say it's much, much closer to PES3 - it's of the same family - but hints of PES4.

@Flipper the Priest

I loved the way the WE United player obstructed your keeper for their first goal :LOL:

I was annoyed at Merosi initially, and then annoyed for very different reasons when I saw the replay. Very retro PES, how he just slid him out the way, and knocked him out of his animation. One of those daft things you forgive the old games for!

The commentators are great,is there a Winning Eleven Patch with the Japanes Commentators?

The Japanese commentary is indeed amazing. Not sure about patches. It's one of six commentary options native to the Japanese WE7I, and I change them each game to suit the home team. I've taken PES and WE United to be Japanese!

So after the first half of Season 1 the ML for Wycombe (w/Defaults) was ruthless:

1-half-season.jpg

The low stamina and the rotation in the team were a struggle. After every run with the ball, Burchet looks with hope for a place in the bench. That guy is fast but in 60 minutes his legs start burning. Besides that, some criminal opponent sent Minanda to the hospital for four weeks, almost a death sentence for the team. Fouque soberly fulfilled his task in Minanda's AMF position.

With the negotiation period Napoli took Gutierrez and Tottenham bought Baumann (wtf?), this guy didn't play any match so the fans will not miss him. Also trade Iouga and Stein for two players with a more side oriented play style.

There is no expectation of promotion, only remains to find a solid base for the next season.

In my last update I got something slightly wrong- I hadn't checked Monaco's latest league result, as they were winning at half time, but they in fact lost for only the second time this season, meaning I was ahead by one point. The break I had of a couple of days from playing seemed to help, as I dominated the final, though I was hampered by poor finishing. As so often seems to be the case in my experience, a team's league peformances can be completely at odds with their cup form. I eventually scored in the final minutes, with 37 year old left back Junior setting up Josué for the winning goal, crossing a grounder into the box for the surging midfielder to side foot in off the post. I ended up winning the league for the third time; Monaco's form collapsed at the end, leading to two more defeats and a draw in the remaining four games. They finished second just ahead of Barca. I scored fewer goals than I had since my first season in the top flight in 2006, just 48, and my highest league scorer was Grafite with 8 (aging Amoroso managed just 7). The whole league seemed to score fewer this year, and the top scorer was Fernando Torres with a modest 14.

In the other domestic cups, Arsenal won against lowly Herenveen, as did Manchester Utd against Newcastle, and Juventus against Real Madrid. In their respective leagues, Arsenal were second behind PSV (by one point I think, they changed places at the last couple of games), Man Utd third with AC Milan and champs Chelsea above them, and Juve were second behind Real Madrid. In my cup, the highest scorer was Wiart, a Dynamo Kiev AMF; my highest scorer was Castolo with 3.

The European Cup was won 1-0 by Bayern over Newcastle, so the Toon Army had nothing to shout about; despite reaching two cup finals they won nothing and even finished in the bottom half of their league table. The top scorer in the European Cup was Romario with 4- he scored those all in our first group game, the 5-0 win over Arsenal! I had thought he was destined to score a bundle more. In both the D1 cup and the EC, my AMF Jadson was the top assister. The UEFA Cup was won by PSV against Real Madrid.

My left back, Junior, retired at the end of this season at 37 years of age. He played 112 times for the club, making 5 assists and scoring 5 times. I think I'm going to give it one more season, then call this playthrough a day, win or lose.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom