The Retro-PES Corner

Just to join in the PES 4 discussion a page or two back it really is the forgotten PES out of 3,4,5 and 6

I personally think the AI in PES 4 scored the best goals been playing it again recently and seen some really surprising goals on occasion against me it has its issues pace is a little fast and the super slow dribble from 3 was removed, the infamous gk watching the ball go wide plus the shooting at times lacked any zip

One thing that's really good is the fact bad teams are bad and good teams bring more of a challenge this seemed to vanish in later versions where you would beat say real Madrid 3-0 then struggle to beat Chievo yet in PES 4 you smash the smaller teams if you have a good side maybe a little too easily and the big teams will show more resistance also the AI will try skills and tricks take you on and dribble another thing that was grown out of the game in later titles

All in all it's a good game but maybe too many niggles and a slight feeling of being unfinished let's it's down but I would highly recommend it if you wanted to play a world cup or euro championship for a few hours of fun

Last edited:
Just to join in the PES 4 discussion a page or two back it really is the forgotten PES out of 3,4,5 and 6

I personally think the AI in PES 4 scored the best goals been playing it again recently and seen some really surprising goals on occasion against me it has its issues pace is a little fast and the super slow dribble from 3 was removed, the infamous gk watching the ball go wide plus the shooting at times lacked any zip

One thing that's really good is the fact bad teams are bad and good teams bring more of a challenge this seemed to vanish in later versions where you would beat say real Madrid 3-0 then struggle to beat Chievo yet in PES 4 you smash the smaller teams if you have a good side maybe a little too easily and the big teams will show more resistance also the AI will try skills and tricks take you on and dribble another thing that was grown out of the game in later titles

All in all it's a good game but maybe too many niggles and a slight feeling of being unfinished let's it's down but I would highly recommend it if you wanted to play a world cup or euro championship for a few hours of fun

Interesting. How does PES4 compare to PES3 or PES 2008 ps2, in your opinion ?

Next couple of games coming up now and they were really tough ones.

Match 18 away to Chelsea who want to make sure they qualify for Europe next season... (I forgot to record about 25 minutes of the second half :( )

and then Match 19 at home to the leaders Man City who are taking full advantage of a faltering Liverpool...

A bit of a hammering there from Man City which was to be expected with Aguero getting a hat trick. Sargent will have been happy to score and put himself in the shop window. City are still 2 points clear at the top from Liverpool while we are 9 points clear of the drop zone. Next up it's Man United and then Burnley.

Last edited:
Hi,
Currently playing PES5 on the PS2 (can't stand the new footie games lol!). Managed to find a decent option file and then erased all the Classic Players with Under 21 or players that were not in the game. Done a few Master League seasons (custom made teams, Heerenveen, Roma, Sunderland, Vitesse and now Wigan Athletic)

Any Options File available, I have the Datel Max Drive to get the specific file format onto my PS2.

Thanks

Guys, I recently obtained WE6 J.League for PS2. I realized there are exclusive Japanese stadiums inside. Can anyone help me on extracting them? Or what path should I follow?

Guys, I recently obtained WE6 J.League for PS2. I realized there are exclusive Japanese stadiums inside. Can anyone help me on extracting them? Or what path should I follow?
I think stadiums in the PS2 games are usually located in the O_Text afs file, but without an AFS Map it would be hard to know which files belong to which stadium.

first d1 season lost the fa cup final vs chelsea on penalties and got 6th or so in the league which is fine i got second on pes 4's first d1 season which is a good change now more realistic, now the schedule is full packed with the quali stages for the euro cup but the squad is big enough because still no one wants to buy my players...thats after 4 transfer periods :CONFUSE:

I only have 1 AFS file, which is FILEDATA.AFS. I have an assumption over what are the stadium files, I can upload here.

https://mega.nz/file/jc4ikLCI#z0gfhUDLRPVOx3clmN2lFvq5EDYHsDZChkNf6N8MPWo

Yes the files starting with stj are the ones I'm looking for - exclusive Japanese stadiums for J League 2002. files starting with stw are the ones that were released with PES2. I managed to extract the textures, but I need the models to add up to the stadium collection of gaming community.

vcMj3G7.png

6LCmKGf.png

g9UchRQ.png

Last edited:
first d1 season lost the fa cup final vs chelsea on penalties and got 6th or so in the league which is fine i got second on pes 4's first d1 season which is a good change now more realistic, now the schedule is full packed with the quali stages for the euro cup but the squad is big enough because still no one wants to buy my players...thats after 4 transfer periods :CONFUSE:

Are you playing PES5? If so, then yep the transfer window is pretty much broken i’m afraid :(

Interesting. How does PES4 compare to PES3 or PES 2008 ps2, in your opinion ?

I still kind of rank them 3, 08 then 4 I have just been playing 4 or rather WE8int because it's one I dont remember well on release and it feels new to play right now

For me PES 3 despite it being more limited than 4 captures football better it plays more rigid and feels more refined and a finished game. I think 4 is like the beta for 5/6 its scrappy and a bit all over the place but why they took out some of the CPU attacking patterns is beyond me because on 4 the AI at their best score some real human style goals

Pes 2008 PS2 is probably the one to play if you want the best challenge vs the AI since the older games are a bit easy now going back but 08 definitely will give you games in master league where you get a real beating. I think I'll be trying out 08 again at some point easily one of my favourite

On another note after my euro and world cup adventures with Croatia on WE8 reaching the semis and last 16 I decided to start a ML with a croatian feel to it making Zagreb and putting Boban in the ML default team and once again him having the fragile body of Mr Burns

Attachments

• 20210303_032033.jpg
    20210303_032033.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
thought I would also post this here is basically museum of old pes patches for the PS2 for basically all the old gen games the author has uploaded them all on new links

https://museudospatches.blogspot.com/

Yes! I found this the other day and meant to post it here and on Twitter!

Some names I remember from waaaayyyy back, from my pathetic attempts at running patched games with Swap Magic all those years ago.

Massive pain in the ass to download the ISOs. Bloody junk links. :RANT:

It is a PC version.
What a blast I'm having playing this game, enjoying the graphics, animations, gameplay... So immersive.

I bought the PC version for the first time ever just over a year ago, but had a problem with the direction players moved in on screen being slightly different to the direction I was moving the analogue stick in- so rather than going straight up, they would run at about 20 degrees off to one side of straight up. I don't suppose you encountered similar problems and overcame them, did you? I would love to play PES 3 again (had the original PS2 version back in the day, but jumped straight onto PES 4 when it was released simply because it was the newest one; I've memories of almost scoring from near the halfway line with a speculative dipping half volley by Roberto Baggio).

I bought the PC version for the first time ever just over a year ago, but had a problem with the direction players moved in on screen being slightly different to the direction I was moving the analogue stick in- so rather than going straight up, they would run at about 20 degrees off to one side of straight up. I don't suppose you encountered similar problems and overcame them, did you? I would love to play PES 3 again (had the original PS2 version back in the day, but jumped straight onto PES 4 when it was released simply because it was the newest one; I've memories of almost scoring from near the halfway line with a speculative dipping half volley by Roberto Baggio).

No, I play all retro PES games with the D-pad, as there are only 8 directions anyway. What a strange issue that is though!

It's a shame because PES5 and WE9LE are two of my favourites but the transfer system is pretty broken. You may get a really rare offer for a player but that is about it. The other thing you can do is part exchange players.

The next match in my ML is against bottom club Norwich with the table like this with 9 games left we still need to keep picking up points to stay clear of the drop zone.

1. Man City 56
2. Liverpool 52

11. Southend 24
12. Burnley 23
13. Everton 22
14. Southampton 21
15. Leeds 18
16. Norwich 6

A really poor performance against 10 men Norwich for 3 quarters of the match. It took an own goal for us to get a draw. But with Leeds losing to Chelsea it means we are now 7 points clear of the drop zone. Meanwhile Man City are pulling away from Liverpool at the top with 8 games left. Next up for us is Arsenal.

1. Man City 59
2. Liverpool 53

Last edited:
It's a shame because PES5 and WE9LE are two of my favourites but the transfer system is pretty broken. You may get a really rare offer for a player but that is about it. The other thing you can do is part exchange players.

I started a PES3 ML last night for the first time in years, played my first game and got two offers each for both Espimas and Edingson right off the bat. Also I'd forgotten how much detail you could actually look at such as all the other leagues (which unless I'm misremembering you can't even see in PES6 when you are in D2, it's cups only) It's pretty shocking really to think how far backwards things have gone really in ML. Using this as a base it should have gone from strength to strength but instead in the usual Konami style, improved on some things, introduced new stuff and managed to remove bits that everyone loves! I mean there's even levels for how much the AI will consider their own needs when getting offers for players. Why take that out? Konami are so frustrating.

Best ML imo.
Me and my brother played the hell out of it. I do like later versions ie creating a new team, regionalised ML (saying that I didn't like playing in the English League against European teams. If they were going to do that, maybe add more region specific teams to the game).

Next match in my ML is match 23 away against Arsenal, really great game this one and it includes a 'goal of the season' contender. Despite the result it could have really gone either way.

We are 7 points clear of relegation and 8 points away from Europe:-

1. Many City 59
2. Liverpool 53
6. Leicester 33
7. Arsenal 32
11. Southend 25
15. Leeds 18
16. Norwich 7

El Messaoudi's brilliant strike really turned the game in our favour (obviously because it made it 3-1). Straight after, they hit the woodwork twice in quick succession. If one of them had gone in then it could have been a different story. Then with them attacking we kept hitting them on the counter. Oh I forgot about Sargent's first hat-trick too which puts him in with a chance of getting the golden boot.

In other news, Liverpool won and Man City drew so the gap at the top is cut to 4 points. Leicester won so we are still 8 points off of Europe. At least we are looking at catching the teams above us and not the teams catching us up below. Next up Crystal Palace.

Back
Top Bottom