The Retro-PES Corner

Games coming thick and fast now.

Group C Fixture 2.

The Netherlands v Austria (me)
Serbia v Ukraine (me)

Here is the table, if Serbia can get a win then they will be through to the knock out stage even though they did not qualify in real life. Austria know they really need a win to have a chance of getting through. Can the Netherlands make up for letting a 3 goal lead slip in their last game? Can I personally actually get a win? It has been a struggle vs the CPU.

2DBEDB2E-6C33-4E05-9D17-D247EE0A3B79.jpeg

Last edited:
Was testing this earlier for crashes and scored this:

The PS1 games are remarkable. 😍

I shall PM you.

Tried to get to grips with J.League Winning Eleven 97 earlier. Tough. Very different to ISS Pro.
Banger. I found myself preferring ISS1 over 2, 2 feels a bit "heavy" to play

By using "D-Line control", High Aggression stats for the defenders and setting the Pressure and Offside Trap settings to (A) I think I've managed to capture Total Football, just look at the radar to see the close lines of the Dutch team, and Germay still won...:PP

To improve this you can also set the defenders to one defensive dot and give the team the "Offside Trap" strategy. That and D-Line Control increases the likeliness of the team using the offside trap. Somtimes too often even, since the rule changes decreased the effectiveness of that maneuver a lot and number of offsides per game have been steadily decreasing since the early 90s AFAIK.

Line Defense could be a decent choice too for that Dutch team. I don't really like it when defending the box though.

To improve this you can also set the defenders to one defensive dot and give the team the "Offside Trap" strategy. That and D-Line Control increases the likeliness of the team using the offside trap. Somtimes too often even, since the rule changes decreased the effectiveness of that maneuver a lot and number of offsides per game have been steadily decreasing since the early 90s AFAIK.

Line Defense could be a decent choice too for that Dutch team. I don't really like it when defending the box though.
i gave them no dots so they push up to the halfway line;)

that artwork though:APPLAUD:

Part of the fun! At the end of the day, you don't need to buy any of these games to play them. The ISOs are everywhere online. But the artwork, the manuals, the leaflets, the receipts. Just that wee portal into a different world; and thinking that could've been the Japanese me taking the bus to the Japanese HMV in 2003 all those years ago to pick up the latest title, and here it is, all these years later, findings its way to me. I think it's cool, anyway!

Group D Fixture 2

Scotland (me) v England
Croatia v Czech (me)

Both Scotland and England started with a win so another win for either team will see them through. Which means both Croatia and Czech need to get their act together.

A0E82718-863B-4792-9C00-047B70BA3C2D.jpeg

A bit of a nightmare for Scotland, they had their chances though but a combination of poor defending and excellent attacking from England means that the score looked worse than it actually was. Great partnership from Rashford and Kane for the 4th goal.
Czech meanwhile got a fantastic win and what a worldly from Pavelka!

A worldly from Pavelka! Must be the best goal of the tournament so far, this could even be the best goal I have scored in PES! This is what I love about retro PES', these types of goals do not come along that often so you really appreciate them when they go in. Boy that dip! :)

The thing that bogs me is who made the decision to let the ball everytime enters the net has to ripple back out of the net and not stay inside, this takes away a lot of the goal scoring joy that i was used to in the ps2 gen games..this needs to return in the next version
I don't mind this so much, But I just wish we'd get different sets of net physics options. Loose saggy nets that absorbs the ball or tight European ones that pings the ball back out.
@Flipper the Priest in what framerates do the PS1 games run on? I'm getting 30fps on ISS1/2/MLSGN in DuckStation. mednafen shows 60fps but it feels like 30fps as well
I don't think running it in 60fps would be very enjoyable. 5th generation games such as the PSX were designed to run just under 30fps in most cases because the animation frames were shorter too, So even if you forced it to run at 60fps, It would just look like your playing in fast forward mode.

PCSX2 emulator actually has an option to disable frame limiting which lets you play roms at the highest fps your card can handle and again, It doesn't always provide desirable results. Some games do look silky smooth because of it though.
Not strictly PES but I've been liking the KCEO games recently. Much better than I thought they were, as I was basing my misconceptions on the N64 and PS1 games, which I don't think have aged well at all.

Unfortunately, emulators seem to take issue with them and they look brutal.
Those covers are classy and glorious. I didn't know KCEO made so many Japanese versions so guess i'll be tracking them down later.

Those covers are classy and glorious. I didn't know KCEO made so many Japanese versions so guess i'll be tracking them down later.

There are three more on top of that. World Soccers 2001 (got) and 2002 (need) and Perfect Striker 5 (need).

Here's hoping PS3 emulation is more hit than miss. CBA with the PS2. Means more wires and a much worse picture should I wish to capture anything.

CFW. Handles almost everything (PS2 PES 2012 and PS1 ISS 2000 the only exceptions off the top of my head) but some games like the ISSes and later FIFAs look absolutely awful.
Yeah the pitch looks real messed up. I just tried ISS 2000 Final Edition, The Intro, menu's and music are slick as heck though. That was always a notch for the PS2 ISS games, The UI was always pretty polished even if it was a bit of an early 2000's futuristic cliché.

Even some of the on field animations are pretty good, Just wish the ball physics were better.

Yeah the pitch looks real messed up. I just tried ISS 2000 Final Edition, The Intro, menu's and music are slick as heck though. That was always a notch for the PS2 ISS games, The UI was always pretty polished even if it was a bit of an early 2000's futuristic cliché.

Even some of the on field animations are pretty good, Just wish the ball physics were better.

Yeah I prefer the menus but agree they're very symptomatic of the era, design-wise.

One of the things that improved greatly over the piece with that series is the fluidity. You know when you were a kid and you had that guy who didn't really like football and treated running and kicking as two very separate actions? That's the older KCEO games. The ball is a sketchy. It's designed to be faster and a little more direct compared to its Tokyo-y cousin, but it still doesn't excuse some ropey physics.

Just watched a video of PES2; didn't realise GK skills wasn't an attribute then. It also had Stability and no Agility.

I will not lie when I say I have been away from here for quite a whole, truth is I have been busy, had exams and other stuff kept me busy, but I think I'll be more active here now. Also because of that haven't got to play any retro pes (or well any game for that matter) in weeks

Back
Top Bottom