The Retro-PES Corner

Hmm... struggling to get these final games uploaded. Been a bit busy but also getting frustrated with football in general at the moment. Probably being a Spurs fan has something to do with. Never been so disconnected with the team and footy in general. :(

Certainly some goals around in those two games!

I know what you mean, it's been a really strange season for me, not going to games has really made me feel disconnected, as if the season's not really happening but just something going on in some other alternative reality. Then the whole ESL nonsense as well and the way modern football is just makes it worse.

I wasn't even that bothered that we lost yesterday to miss out on the play offs (partly cos we wouldn't have won them anyway as the team isn't good enough plus we've never won a single play off game anyway in eight matches!) but also I felt like had we somehow won them it wouldn't have felt like a promotion at all because I had no connection to it. Promotion seasons are rare enough as it is, I've only seen three in 33 years of having a season ticket, in fact I've seen more last day survivals 😂 so to miss an entire season of a promotion season would really suck.

Haven't even played any PES since starting that PES8 ML, partly through not much time but partly because I haven't felt like it either. I will get back to it though.

@MafiaMurderBag is taking us through the history in his own inimitable style on his YT channel. I believe the next episode is around the corner-ish? Much better viewing than those standard evolution videos you see on YT, that are basically just clips of games sewn together without any context. The history of Konami football games sure is interesting, and bloody confusing too!
Thank you, You're a charmer allright!

Yeah I've nearly finished it, I'm still working on editing it down from all the footage I captured. It's been a pleasure though because of course not only are the PS2 era PES's my favourite from both a sentimental and preference standpoint but because these were probably the best engineered and balanced ones in the whole series.

The perfect fusion of accessible arcade, consequential depth and learning curve too but also they were the most rewarding experiences I think most people would've had in the series.

It's also notable that they all innovated one after the other which I explore in the episode too, from the little on pitch mechanics implemented in each version to the sophistication (And confusion) of the Edit mode.

Since no one is answering my question at the pes 2021 pc thread, i ll ask here:
Any fix for the stuttering and vsync issues on amd cards for this game? What settings to use thx

It was deleted the first one

And why would you think that was? Because it doesn't belong in here. Create a thread if you're really desperate, but please don't derail a thread which hasn't got anything to do with hardware issues. Cheers!

this post was made by Yugoslavia gang

i wanna do something with vanilla PES 5. I kinda wanted to start a ML, no patches other than graphics/gameplay improvements, and just buy unlicensed players. Make myself nice kits by nico or adibas and mess with people.

PES 5 especially cool since there's a tool apparently that cuts ML earnings in half, a great challenge and really tempted to try it

Just can't decide who to pick, BabaCorp has only so many PES Points. PES United would be classic but Russia Rail is kinda cheap these days. Hmmmmmm 🐑 🐑

happy days!!

I have a question about the stats that were added to PES 5, Can anyone confirm what the new attributes added were?

I know Middle shooting was a special ability added, Was there another? I'm trying to figure it out as well as if any new regular attributes was added.

Also I believe the only 2 new positions added were Wing Back and Second Striker if i'm not mistaken.

I'm going off the top of my head, I'll compare both 4 & 5's stats tomorrow after work, I looked through my old OPM2 magazines as I swore they listed the new stats in a review/preview but they didn't seem to sadly.

I wonder how Konami maps the faces of legendary players, especially the ones who are dead.
I mean, just importing them is hard enough. Look at how disastrous Bobby Moore turned out for me:
Sem título.jpg
Not to mention how hard it is to find a picture with a good resolution (apparently where the face alone is 256x256) where the player's looking forward, and in a case like this, in color. xP

How do one shoot the ball properly in WE6? I find my shots either too strong or too weak, and even with directional aim they go all over the place most of the time

I wonder how Konami maps the faces of legendary players, especially the ones who are dead.
I mean, just importing them is hard enough. Look at how disastrous Bobby Moore turned out for me:
View attachment 99590
Not to mention how hard it is to find a picture with a good resolution (apparently where the face alone is 256x256) where the player's looking forward, and in a case like this, in color. xP
Well Konami do have some gifted artists, Apart from the scanned players from partner clubs, Konami model all the players faces by hand. It's feasable, Just take a look at the face edit section for PES 2021, Those are talented members of the community, not Konami employee's and many of them give the professionals a good run for their money with just as if not more limited resources available.

Certainly some goals around in those two games!

I know what you mean, it's been a really strange season for me, not going to games has really made me feel disconnected, as if the season's not really happening but just something going on in some other alternative reality. Then the whole ESL nonsense as well and the way modern football is just makes it worse.

I wasn't even that bothered that we lost yesterday to miss out on the play offs (partly cos we wouldn't have won them anyway as the team isn't good enough plus we've never won a single play off game anyway in eight matches!) but also I felt like had we somehow won them it wouldn't have felt like a promotion at all because I had no connection to it. Promotion seasons are rare enough as it is, I've only seen three in 33 years of having a season ticket, in fact I've seen more last day survivals 😂 so to miss an entire season of a promotion season would really suck.

Haven't even played any PES since starting that PES8 ML, partly through not much time but partly because I haven't felt like it either. I will get back to it though.
I feel your pain and to sum it all up Southend got relegated from the football league too.:CRY:

Thinking about last day survivals, i wonder what brings on the biggest anxieties? Last day survivals or last day promotions or play off finals. :CALM:

In to the quarter finals now of the EUROs and this is the draw.

France v Wales
Denmark v Slovakia
Spain v England
Poland v Italy

Here are the first two:

France v Wales (me), would Bale be able to perform against a big team? (I don't agree with that question it's just been asked a lot)

Denmark v Slovakia (me), are Denmark on their way to repeat what they did in 1992?

Both are good games but Denmark v Slovakia was so tense and had some brilliant moments.

Bale certainly did perform. After a quiet 30 minutes he started to turn it on and continued giving the French problems. Disappointing loss for France though as they were probably the favourites to get to the final from their side of the draw.

What a tense game. Slovakia did so well with 10 men for so long and deserved the equaliser, and what a thumping header that was from Stoch! But Denmark had their chances when they were 1-0 up and should have put the game to bed before that. Kasper made an excellent double save too for the Danes. Meanwhile Eriksen is having an excellent campaign.

@geeeeee Next up the stress of watching an England tournament game :LOL: Yeah that was a quick demise from Southend from a couple of years ago. I was looking at the National League the other day, it's like Div 4 from years back with the likes of Stockport, Torquay, Wrexham and so on! As to the anxieties I think possibly the promotion one's, possibly because the last day one's have fortunately turned out well, sometimes from seemingly impossible positions!

Well Konami do have some gifted artists, Apart from the scanned players from partner clubs, Konami model all the players faces by hand. It's feasable, Just take a look at the face edit section for PES 2021, Those are talented members of the community, not Konami employee's and many of them give the professionals a good run for their money with just as if not more limited resources available.
I was speaking rhetorically. xP
And that's PES 2012, I felt like just trying to build the faces for the legend players wouldn't do them justice, so I've been trying to look for pictures.

PES 2012 is one of the best PES games ever made actually 🙂
Indeed, it's one of the best PES games ever and i love it, also it's one of the worst PES ever and i can't stand it.

I loved the ball control, the passing, the randomness of the shooting and of the football in general, the fact that fouls were very prevalent, the new penalty kick system, the graphics, the soundtrack, the menus, the modes, having more control settings, the phenomenal new pitchside camera, the fact that there was an attempt at making defending more engaging.

The lows drove me insane though, mostly in the defending, i did appreciate the attempt made with the new defending system, but they took it a bit too far, every CPU player, on every difficulty, has the ball glued to their feet like Messi, so they either get past you or get fouled, and most free kicks for the CPU result in goals, i'd rather concede a penalty than a free kick or corner because my chances of stopping the goal are higher, also when they cross it's common for your centerbacks to just stand still for some reason, especially in open play. The running animation was still kind of bad and the default speed was way too fast, however changing it to -1 or -2 fixed the issue, so it's ok.

My solution for the last few times i played this game was what i usually do when a football game starts to get frustrating, switch to a lower difficulty setting, but play on FUMA to make up for it, also in this case there was also a switch to -1 speed, the flaws are still there and they're still a bit annoying, but the overall experience is much better, and the high points of this game are just way too good to miss out on just because of what annoys me about it, especially if i can make things a bit better by changing a couple of settings, also, pitchside camera, i have no idea why, but i love these lower cameras, when they have good visibility of course, and this one does.

PES 2012 was probably the closest i've ever had to a love-hate relationship, the highs were all really high, and at times this felt like the best footy game i've ever played, but man the lows were something else, they were on the right track though, this trilogy of PES 2011, PES 2012 and PES 2013 was rock solid, if only they had kept Seabass in charge for the rest of that generation and made PES 2014 a continuation of this, keeping the Kei Masuda FOX Engine game in the oven for a little longer to release it in a more finished state, things could've been way different for the series's reputation, also i really wanted another game in this style, we only got three and that's a shame, there was a lot of untapped potential in this engine.

Indeed, it's one of the best PES games ever and i love it, also it's one of the worst PES ever and i can't stand it.

I loved the ball control, the passing, the randomness of the shooting and of the football in general, the fact that fouls were very prevalent, the new penalty kick system, the graphics, the soundtrack, the menus, the modes, having more control settings, the phenomenal new pitchside camera, the fact that there was an attempt at making defending more engaging.

The lows drove me insane though, mostly in the defending, i did appreciate the attempt made with the new defending system, but they took it a bit too far, every CPU player, on every difficulty, has the ball glued to their feet like Messi, so they either get past you or get fouled, and most free kicks for the CPU result in goals, i'd rather concede a penalty than a free kick or corner because my chances of stopping the goal are higher, also when they cross it's common for your centerbacks to just stand still for some reason, especially in open play. The running animation was still kind of bad and the default speed was way too fast, however changing it to -1 or -2 fixed the issue, so it's ok.

My solution for the last few times i played this game was what i usually do when a football game starts to get frustrating, switch to a lower difficulty setting, but play on FUMA to make up for it, also in this case there was also a switch to -1 speed, the flaws are still there and they're still a bit annoying, but the overall experience is much better, and the high points of this game are just way too good to miss out on just because of what annoys me about it, especially if i can make things a bit better by changing a couple of settings, also, pitchside camera, i have no idea why, but i love these lower cameras, when they have good visibility of course, and this one does.

PES 2012 was probably the closest i've ever had to a love-hate relationship, the highs were all really high, and at times this felt like the best footy game i've ever played, but man the lows were something else, they were on the right track though, this trilogy of PES 2011, PES 2012 and PES 2013 was rock solid, if only they had kept Seabass in charge for the rest of that generation and made PES 2014 a continuation of this, keeping the Kei Masuda FOX Engine game in the oven for a little longer to release it in a more finished state, things could've been way different for the series's reputation, also i really wanted another game in this style, we only got three and that's a shame, there was a lot of untapped potential in this engine.
Well before I read the rest of your post I knew one of your first complaints was going to be the CPU dribbling and yeah that was a culture shock when I returned to it last year. It seems more pronounced on higher difficulties so like you I dropped it down I think to professional and the CPU calms down with the ninja dribbling and it plays a bit more natural football. But yeah the CPU also barely passes the ball on higher difficulties too because, why would it need to, it just dribbles past your entire midfield and defence like a cartoon superhero and creates goal scoring opportunities with one player that way.

As for the CPU freekicks, yeah that's not only another flaw of higher difficulty settings but it seems to have became a chronic illness with the series from then on with AI scoring from set pieces effortlessly, It's actually more of an OMG moment when they DON'T score!

Reactions: MKC
this post was made by Yugoslavia gang

i wanna do something with vanilla PES 5. I kinda wanted to start a ML, no patches other than graphics/gameplay improvements, and just buy unlicensed players. Make myself nice kits by nico or adibas and mess with people.

PES 5 especially cool since there's a tool apparently that cuts ML earnings in half, a great challenge and really tempted to try it

Just can't decide who to pick, BabaCorp has only so many PES Points. PES United would be classic but Russia Rail is kinda cheap these days. Hmmmmmm 🐑 🐑

happy days!!
don't do this my modern games look like shit now :P

My issue with both 12+13,and I agree with @MKC and @MafiaMurderBag on your concerns,is the fact that top player in those games feel like a cheat machine, CPU being inhuman.
But stepping it up (last time I played 13) to SS made the game tougher,but less cheaty.
Had far more wins on that difficulty than on TP.

And stepping down to professional Difficulty has one drawback,the CPU controlled teams aren't that dominant playing each other.
Had a season on professional with Betis,and the top teams never really pulled away in the table.

Nevertheless,a great game indeed,a bit forgotten Vs 13 which most people hail.

Last edited:
Reactions: MKC
My issue with both 12+13,and I agree with @MKC and @MafiaMurderBag on your concerns,is the fact that top player in those games feel like a cheat machine, CPU being inhuman.
But stepping it up (last time I played 13) to SS made the game tougher,but less chesty.
Had far more wins on that difficulty than on TP.

And stepping down to professional Difficulty has one drawback,the CPU controlled players aren't that dominant playing each other.
Had a season on professional with Betis,and the top teams never really pulled away in the table.

Nevertheless,a great game indeed,a bit forgotten Vs 13 which most people hail.
Yeah I think a lot of people think 2013 is a polished version of 2012 and thus it would make 2012 inferior and it get's slept on.

I consider 2012 & 2013 the 7th generation of consoles versions of PES 5 & 6. Both on the same engine but they have 2 different flavours and appeal to two different demographics of football gamers.
The attention to details in WE7: injured players on the field have bandages on their legs
Love it, Love the way WE7/PES3 looks too. Probably the most cohesive looking PES on PS2 to be fair.

It's also another little feature that went missing in later games. The selfish side of me would love to see bandages on players after clashing heads, even if there's no blood as a compromise, with the physics engines we get nowadays would be interesting to see elbows and aerial clashes have an aesthetic consequence on a player.

Back
Top Bottom