The Retro-PES Corner

Thanx rock! Although even after listening to the video, it is still very difficult-to-impossible to pronounce it properly.
Despite this, each time i create them in any PES OF, i prefer to type them Crvena Zvezda which looks more 'cool" than just plain 'Red Star" which shows cliche! ;)

Thanx rock! Although even after listening to the video, it is still very difficult-to-impossible to pronounce it properly.
Despite this, each time i create them in any PES OF, i prefer to type them Crvena Zvezda which looks more 'cool" than just plain 'Red Star" which shows cliche! ;)
Yeah its a tough one.
Mainly pronounce it "Ser vena sves ta" all the "e"s as "e"s and not with "I"s,guess it's something an English speaking person would do.
Yeah I always go for Crvena instead of Red star

Interesting. I thought it might vary from country to country and club to club. Some terms lend themselves to acronyms (eg Fifa, Uefa) while others don't (eg BBC, ITV) depending on the number and placement of vowels.

There's not really much of note in Scottish football, in terms of pronunciation. Rangers FC is an interesting one, though, because it is in fact pronounced "cunts".

Interesting. I thought it might vary from country to country and club to club. Some terms lend themselves to acronyms (eg Fifa, Uefa) while others don't (eg BBC, ITV) depending on the number and placement of vowels.

There's not really much of note in Scottish football, in terms of pronunciation. Rangers FC is an interesting one, though, because it is in fact pronounced "cunts".
Both Glasgow clubs are a bit cunty aren't they?

Interesting pronunciation Flipper :LOL: In a similar fashion the correct pronunciation of Southampton is Scum.

I'm pleased to know I have been saying (guessed!) Crvena Svezda more or less correctly, but I'd always said the CSKA teams as initials as well as AEK (by the way @slamsoze I did wonder when I saw you put that the K stands for Constantinople, knowing of course that was the previous name of Istanbul.)

I think Polish is a bit of a nightmare for us British to pronounce what with all the czcz's and general lack of vowels, even the one's that appear straightforward such as Zaglebie Lubin I expect I am butchering in reality.

I think Polish is a bit of a nightmare for us British to pronounce what with all the czcz's and general lack of vowels, even the one's that appear straightforward such as Zaglebie Lubin I expect I am butchering in reality.

Obligatory Brzęczyszczykiewicz video (turn on EN subs)

No it is fucked up. The difference between Slavic and English/Anglosaxon/Anglospheric(??????) sounds is so massive that even after 20 years of learning English I just cannot pronounce things properly.

It just works both ways I guess!

Crvena Zvezda is hard even for Slavs, ex-Yugos sure hate their vowels. Trg, vrh, Crv...fam vowels exist for a reason.

Wouldn't know how to explain the pronunciaton myself, glad there's a video up there! 🐑

And ye, Crvena Zvezda > Red Star any time of the day!

Interesting pronunciation Flipper :LOL: In a similar fashion the correct pronunciation of Southampton is Scum.

I'm pleased to know I have been saying (guessed!) Crvena Svezda more or less correctly, but I'd always said the CSKA teams as initials as well as AEK (by the way @slamsoze I did wonder when I saw you put that the K stands for Constantinople, knowing of course that was the previous name of Istanbul.)

Υes, in greek language technically K=C pronouncing wise, when you want to speak the "Kay: for Kilo it is only K, there is no C as a character in the alphabet. So Constantinople = Konstantinople. Peter Crouch would be Peter Krouch.

As for the Polish yes they are the most difficult names for me too, generally languages with words with less vowels, seem difficult. Based on recent PES games, i would say the most difficult names are Polish and Thailand's names. Too long words, missing a lot consecutive vowels.

Also as for the abbrevations, is is easier when it is about Greek names, to make them Accronyms, cause greek letters have bigger names. For example AEK, if you spell it by initials, you just have to say "Ay-E-Kay".
If i would say by initials in Greek letters i would have to say 'Alpha-Epsilon-Kappa" , so just "AEK" by spell-as-you-read-it method is much shorter!! :P

Then for the foreign teams we usually adapt, like mentioned Che-Es-Ka, or AZ Alkmar= Ay-Zee-Alkmar. Or HSV= Ha-Es-Vau.

Speaking of names now, the most difficult for me is usually spot who are using their other abbreviation and who not, usually FC, CF, or the spanish-latin america teams that use UD, CD or net Deportivo/Deportiva. For example why Deportivo La Coruna is also know as Deportivo or Depor, but UD Las Palmas is not. Or why Leeds United FC can be met as LUFC, but Manchester United is usually Man United of Man-U. Or Arsenal can be AFC but Bournemouth is AFC Bournemouth ... Maybe teams should establish some more standard names or something.

For example it needed for me to reach PES 2015 and learn that LUFC is Leeds, while i was creating kits for them and watching the logo on the socks!! Since early 00's and the days of UEFA semi final, i only knew them as Leeds. Despite the Damn United 2009 movie, which i had already seen!!!!!

And an other question i recall. How do you pronounce PSG in your languages? In Greece, TV, newspapers, etc, we type it as PSG but we always call them full name Paris Saint Germain, or plain "Pari" (in french accent) . Nobody calls them Pee-Es-Gee.

Last edited:
Here it's Pee-Es-Gee. Occasionally I've heard commentators use the full name.

I'm not surprised you only knew them as Leeds as here we often shorten the full name. West Ham United is another perfect example as is Newcastle United. Tottenham are rarely followed by Hotspur when being talked about, in fact it's usually just Spurs, ironically of course from the dropped part of their name! Portsmouth is often referred to by the nickname of Pompey, the origin of which is to this day not certain, there are several explanations but no definitive factual answer.

I've often wondered that about the Deportivo thing, why some use it and others are only ever in the CD/UD etc.

there is no C as a character in the alphabet

This seems something of an oversight :D

Back to my easily pronounced Brighton ML on PS2 PES 2008.

I'm about to go into the last few games of season 10, starting with a Uefa Cup final vs Man Utd and then three league games vs mid-table teams which, if won, should see me edge Chelsea for the Premier League title.

It's been another classic ML season on this game. One oddity has been having to play Spartak Moscow SIX times over the season. I had them in the group stage of the Champions League qualifying round, then in the first group stage proper, then again over two legs in the Uefa cup.

I also went out of the FA cup after 'losing' a penalty shoot out in the semi final in which my crucial pen went in off a post, only to not be counted. Bah!

I'll take a domestic ML break to coincide with the end of the real season but I'll be back to this PS2 classic. I might do an international tournament over the next few weeks but I'll mainly be playing some non-footy game classic on the PS2... the greatest console of all time.

Last edited:
Guys, do you know how to mod ps2 isos ? I tried to import faces in pes 2008 ps2 iso, but when i rebuild with nero the iso, pcsx2 don't recognise the iso... Any ideas why ?

Guys, do you know how to mod ps2 isos ? I tried to import faces in pes 2008 ps2 iso, but when i rebuild with nero the iso, pcsx2 don't recognise the iso... Any ideas why ?
I often used DKZ Studio to replace AFS in the ISO without rebuilding. There's another way that involves Sony CD/DVD Generator but I haven't done it in some 15 years and I forgot how to do it

I often used DKZ Studio to replace AFS in the ISO without rebuilding. There's another way that involves Sony CD/DVD Generator but I haven't done it in some 15 years and I forgot how to do it
Oh, i didn't know that we could use DKZ Studio to replace directly the AFS. Can we replace for example a smaller 0_text.afs by a bigger 0_text.afs ? Because i can replace afs with apache2, but the afs must be the exact same size...

Oh, i didn't know that we could use DKZ Studio to replace directly the AFS. Can we replace for example a smaller 0_text.afs by a bigger 0_text.afs ? Because i can replace afs with apache2, but the afs must be the exact same size...
I haven't tried a larger 0_text, but my 0_text files were smaller than stock

Editing my own PS2 2013 option file now, for some arcade actions once in a while. Some duplicates keep showing up in ML (Emenike, Jetro Willems, Hal Robson-Kanu, R. Ibarra), I have to overwrite them into oblivion as null with 1 for all stats but they still show up in ML. Anyone can help?

2021-05-19 15_45_59-Window.jpg

Editing my own PS2 2013 option file now, for some arcade actions once in a while. Some duplicates keep showing up in ML (Emenike, Jetro Willems, Hal Robson-Kanu, R. Ibarra), I have to overwrite them into oblivion as null with 1 for all stats but they still show up in ML. Anyone can help?

View attachment 100914

That's a good point, I didn't check mine for duplicates, over and above what was in the editor*, and whether or not they disappear. One would assume they either disappear or they don't. Am I not right in saying there has often been duplicates that don't disappear, and overwriting is the only out? I want to say Seol Ki-hyeon and Claudio Reyna were troublesome over the years!

*Not sure if you have the editors, but a link just in case: https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/ps2-editors-and-option-files-pes-2010-2012.84651/#post-3615188.

That's a good point, I didn't check mine for duplicates, over and above what was in the editor*, and whether or not they disappear. One would assume they either disappear or they don't. Am I not right in saying there has often been duplicates that don't disappear, and overwriting is the only out? I want to say Seol Ki-hyeon and Claudio Reyna were troublesome over the years!

*Not sure if you have the editors, but a link just in case: https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/ps2-editors-and-option-files-pes-2010-2012.84651/#post-3615188.
Yes, there are some troublesome ones. I want to have the best ML experience with no dupes, only real players + ML originals/youths, so that's why I'm going the distance

Also, another issue with PS2 PES from 6 until the end that was 2014: dogshite turfs. On some turfs I can't see anything at all - looking at this corrugated cardboard of a pitch at Cuito Cuanavale/Vodacom Park
CLhE4wUWgAAnZcB.jpg

Anyone has a good, high visibility turf? I'll replace every turf in the game with one single turf to ensure visibility in all conditions

Also, another issue with PS2 PES from 6 until the end that was 2014: dogshite turfs. On some turfs I can't see anything at all - looking at this corrugated cardboard of a pitch at Cuito Cuanavale/Vodacom Park
CLhE4wUWgAAnZcB.jpg

Anyone has a good, high visibility turf? I'll replace every turf in the game with one single turf to ensure visibility in all conditions
This used to spoil so many games on PES 5 I remember. If you go back to PES2 , This stadium had an acceptable turf, So that tells you they've deliberately replaced it with an inferior one.

Someone literally made a cognitive decision to make it worse.... And nobody had the guts to intervene during development/playtesting and say this "pitch isn't feasable mate, take it out."

The intricacies of PS2 editing:
  • Everything should be written in ALL CAPS except for the things that Konami uses lowercase like unlicensed cups. Countries, licensed stadiums/leagues, Libertadores teams/players, fake players (the ones that you can't edit but meet in cup mode qualifiers) are hard coded in CAPS, so if you use lowercase for other things they clash jarringly
  • Some versions of PES Editor PS2 don't check for 15 characters limit in the player name field, so if you go over that you'll get memory corruption writing next to player names. Can't exit edit mode in game without fixing the corruptions

Last edited:
Back to my easily pronounced Brighton ML on PS2 PES 2008.

I'm about to go into the last few games of season 10, starting with a Uefa Cup final vs Man Utd and then three league games vs mid-table teams which, if won, should see me edge Chelsea for the Premier League title.

It's been another classic ML season on this game. One oddity has been having to play Spartak Moscow SIX times over the season. I had them in the group stage of the Champions League qualifying round, then in the first group stage proper, then again over two legs in the Uefa cup.

I also went out of the FA cup after 'losing' a penalty shoot out in the semi final in which my crucial pen went in off a post, only to not be counted. Bah!

I'll take a domestic ML break to coincide with the end of the real season but I'll be back to this PS2 classic. I might do an international tournament over the next few weeks but I'll mainly be playing some non-footy game classic on the PS2... the greatest console of all time.
Quick update on this and what turned out to be a very dramatic end to this latest season.

Won the Uefa Cup 1-0 vs Man Utd with a late goal from my player of the season, Barbarez.

The league went down to the final day with Chelsea, Liverpool and ourselves in with a chance of clinching the Premier League. Went 1-0 up vs relegated Birmingham City (I had by far the easiest fixture) but Brum only went and equalised through Dwight Yorke. Threw everything at them and, with time running out, it looked like I would have to rely on other results. Then a hopeful cross from the left by my winger, a scramble in the box, a deflection and...own goal! Brighton are champions after ten glorious seasons.

Just the Champions League left to win now but I'll be losing a few of my best players to the the self-imposed wage limit I use for contracts so no telling how next season will go. For now, a little break from PES 2008 (PS2) to relive other PS2 delights from the past.

What would you guys say is the WE/PES where AI-controlled great players will stand out the most?

(Warning: If you don't know or care about Captain Tsubasa you can ignore the rest xD)

As a big Captain Tsubasa fan, i've always been wanting to make an Captain Tsubasa patch for some PES game. There is a really well made one for PES 6, but it disappoints me to no end that in the game, AI-controlled great players don't really stand out, like, if you play against Tsubasa in the patch he will often just do straight runs till he loses the ball or do simple side passess over and over again, like if the bastard didn't knew he has 90+ in most offensive stats.

This takes out all the Captain Tsubasa feeling the patch should have. A big example is how in the patch if you try to recreate the match where Tsubasa scored 6 goals and made 4 assists he will struggle to make even one goal or assist, even if his stats are waay higher than all the opponents. Playing the patch online must be amazing because you can be creative with the top players, but as i said in single player it's just boring.

I've tried PES 21, but same problem there, great players don't stand out and the stats don't seem to matter. I remember trying PES 2013 and having the same problem, but i will try again. I'm actually trying to play every PES game from 2 onwards just to test this. So far PES 2, 3 and 6 failed the test.

I think i may end up having to make the patch for Fifa 14/16, because there you can at least mess with the sliders and try to recreate the Captain Tsubasa experience.

Last edited:
Every year from 2012 to 2014 Konami lost a few more license with each year :(
I started off with 2014, then 2013, then finally settled on 2012 PS2 to edit because it has the most national team licenses and there are licensed Boca/River

What would you guys say is the WE/PES where AI-controlled great players will stand out the most?

(Warning: If you don't know or care about Captain Tsubasa you can ignore the rest xD)

As a big Captain Tsubasa fan, i've always been wanting to make an Captain Tsubasa patch for some PES game. There is a really well made one for PES 6, but it disappoints me to no end that in the game, AI-controlled great players don't really stand out, like, if you play against Tsubasa in the patch he will often just do straight runs till he loses the ball or do simple side passess over and over again, like if the bastard didn't knew he has 90+ in most offensive stats.

This takes out all the Captain Tsubasa feeling the patch should have. A big example is how in the patch if you try to recreate the match where Tsubasa scored 6 goals and made 4 assists he will struggle to make even one goal or assist, even if his stats are waay higher than all the opponents. Playing the patch online must be amazing because you can be creative with the top players, but as i said in single player it's just boring.

I've tried PES 21, but same problem there, great players don't stand out and the stats don't seem to matter. I remember trying PES 2013 and having the same problem, but i will try again. I'm actually trying to play every PES game from 2 onwards just to test this. So far PES 2, 3 and 6 failed the test.

I think i may end up having to make the patch for Fifa 14/16, because there you can at least mess with the sliders and try to recreate the Captain Tsubasa experience.
Now this is what i like to see! Look at how AI Messi destroyed that defender there, that was very Messi-like.

That was an COM vs COM game btw. Saw you guys saying a few times here how the attacking AI is great in that game, maybe there's some truth to that.

The intricacies of PS2 editing:
  • Everything should be written in ALL CAPS except for the things that Konami uses lowercase like unlicensed cups. Countries, licensed stadiums/leagues, Libertadores teams/players, fake players (the ones that you can't edit but meet in cup mode qualifiers) are hard coded in CAPS, so if you use lowercase for other things they clash jarringly
  • Some versions of PES Editor PS2 don't check for 15 characters limit in the player name field, so if you go over that you'll get memory corruption writing next to player names. Can't exit edit mode in game without fixing the corruptions

Binning the SHOUTY NAMES was one of my main motivations for creating my option files. I removed them all, where possible. The clash with the SHOUTY NAMES you can't change is annoying, but the lesser of two evils for me!

There's an editor for PES 2014 that changes them all with a click of a button - if only they all had that!

Binning the SHOUTY NAMES was one of my main motivations for creating my option files. I removed them all, where possible. The clash with the SHOUTY NAMES you can't change is annoying, but the lesser of two evils for me!

There's an editor for PES 2014 that changes them all with a click of a button - if only they all had that!
Yes the all caps are a huge bug bear, I have no idea who looked at that convention and signed off on it thinking it looked cutting edge to sign in the next gen onwards from PES 2008.

Even modern FIFA's are in on it.

Yes the all caps are a huge bug bear, I have no idea who looked at that convention and signed off on it thinking it looked cutting edge to sign in the next gen onwards from PES 2008.

Even modern FIFA's are in on it.

It's particularly grating when it comes to your Celtic nations, and you see MCGINN, MCMANUS, MCDONALD, etc. Looks awful. Some names need that definition.

At least it wasn't as bad as it is now, when you read that you've just signed A. FOOTBALLER in your Master League news feed.

Back
Top Bottom