The Retro-PES Corner

I
After my long PES break, i first started playing some PES2008 on PCSX2, but as always with this game, i grew tired of it because of the small amount of fouls, the easy cutbacks and the poor defensive positioning from the players leading to a too much arcadey experience IMO. It is actually a fun game, but for me it lacks the "solid" feel of the PES before PES6.

I dusted off my iso copy of WE8LE and it's been an amazing experience since then for so many reasons. It feels even better than PES3 for me now :

-The 1-touch mechanism is amazing. The technique stat is so much important. The clumsy defenders feel clumsy, having technically good players for goalkeeper and defenders is really helpful. You also can't ping-pong your way from defense to attack, unless you have very skilled players like Barcelona.
-The referees are IMO the best ever in the serie. The amount of fouls is the same as WE9LE, but referees actually give yellow and red cards accordingly.
-Shooting is very much improved from PES4. Much more powerful. On the other hand, the goalkeepers don't concede so easily the lobs.
-Playing against the CPU is hard. I've seen some very good team movements from the CPU. But the individuality is still awesome. Big teams are very scary and can crush you. Games against small teams can be sometimes a walk in the park, and other times a tight affair.
-Set pieces are very dangerous weapons, especially the free-kicks. Cristiano Ronaldo scored two free-kicks against me, and one was directed at the goalkeeper and not over the wall, it was very surprising, and my goalkeeper was caught off guard because of the effect put on the ball. Defenders actually go up on corners and free-kicks too, very useful when the defenders have good header and jump stats.
-In the others PES, i don't pay attention to the injury rating of the players, they are rare and usually do not last long. But this is completely different in this game, A players get sometimes injured and are not invicible. B players get injured fairly often. C players are a nightmare and can be out for as much as 50 weeks in the master league (maybe sometimes even more!)
-The game flow feels a lot like WE9LE with better attacking CPU and a bit less tight defenses.

The only problem i noticed until now is maybe the space left sometimes between the two center backs, but i'm sure it can be corrected with tweaked tactics, i will try to adapt some @Chenghis.Khan tactics.

Since the game is very hard to find in english (original is in japanese), here is a link for a patched game iso (no pc version sadly :(). I really recommend you to give it a try. Use simply the same settings and steps i gave a few pages earlier for PCSX2. I also posted the option file, because you must import the option file if you want to have the player names in english:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ht4twcgmjftbhzn/WE8LE+Mix+Patch.iso
http://www.mediafire.com/download/t643ujh66i5ikt7/WE8LEOPT.psu
If you're playing on PC which i figured you were since you mentioned the PCSX2 emulator, why don't you just play the PC version that's on this forum somewhere? It performs much better than the PS2 Emu, is patched in English and can be played at 4K resolution and is patched up to the heavens with Kits, Faces, Balls, Boots & Stadia?

EDIT
Sorry didn't realise you was talking about WE8LE, not WE9LE.

Hey guys, I wish to get a copy of WE9LE for PC. I used to have one from the online server for it here under install game https://we9le.wap.ovh/ but the game link no longer works for me as says dodgy but I don't think it is as I used it before...Can anyone PM a game link, I'll happily pay for the privilege!

Just answering my own question from earlier about PES 2008 (PS2) ML and classic players...

No, you don't have to buy/unlock classic players before starting a ML. Those you've bought/unlocked in the PES Shop appear at the next January transfer window as long as you have classic players included in your ML set up.

I'm assuming this goes for all PS2 PESes from PES 5 onwards.

@mattmid , matters mate, like my old PES 3 (greatest game of all time) loyalist pal @fmicablues7 , have had some real world life-changing issues.
I will not say more as you all know me and I like to always keep things fun and light-hearted.

No problem, really hope things are ok/improving for you then off the pitch as it were. As @miguelfcp says a retro corner is not a retro corner without a Dinner. :)

@miguelfcp i finally achieved to read all reviews, in your blog about retro-sports-games. Very nice reading, i have to say, especially about pro Beach Soccer, it accurately covered my opinion about the game and solved my mystery for renting it 3 times from a console club and un-installing it in the first 30 minutes.
Despite it was difficult to complete reading through my mobile phone. The last months i have also real-life "issues". Not so important as the rest guys to be honest. Just a laptop PC that started malfunctioning and a wife that took momentum of the chance and converted the desk i had my PC into a wardrobe closet!. :) So by now it is simply difficult to even approach my PC position to start fixing it. :(

Last edited:
Guys, has anyone got a WE7 copy with english traduction by fernando or a patched english game ? I mean the japanese WE7 released in summer 2003, not the international one. I tried it yesterday, it plays better than PES3 IMO, but japanese texts are annoying.

@slamsoze: Glad you enjoyed it mate. As for Pro Beach Soccer, it's really that type of game that needs to be played with a very open-minded and relaxed approach...I confess I usually get back to it only to see the players get possessed by the blue halo.

Skip to 13:03.
Man, we saw some weird sh*t back in the PS2 era...

@slamsoze: Glad you enjoyed it mate. As for Pro Beach Soccer, it's really that type of game that needs to be played with a very open-minded and relaxed approach...I confess I usually get back to it only to see the players get possessed by the blue halo.

@miguelfcp, sort of like Backyard Soccer (1998) Playstation 1:

Check now how sometimes, life turns things on from coincidence to almost drama!! :P I was ready to say about the beach soccer and futsal/street soccer 5on5 games, basically Pro Beach Soccer and FIFA street.Both games had a major flaw for my tasting.If they were simulation of mini-football with 90% normal physics and gameplay and 10% magix moments with crazy momentum tricks and power-ups like the blue saiyan-jin auras @miguelfcp showed before,they would be a decent alternative. Despite this both series gameplay is a bunch of Mumbo-Jumbo trickery where to achieve a simple pass you must do some scissors-feint-knuckle bull $hit.
And here comes todays crazy part.I wanted to post that the most accurate mini-soccer game i have played was Disney Sports Soccer,a tittle fro Nintendo Gamecube and Gameboy advance.It was part of a series of sports titles with Disney Characters, having football,basketball, baseball etc.
I tried only the GBA version, as i didn't own GameCube console and dedpite GBAs low graphics ability the game had a very good game play for a handheld console fun-game. It was not 90-10 football-Mumbo Jumbo but at least it was 50-50.You could make some build-up without doing exclusively magic tricks and sorcery.This fun child's game was more realistic as street football than the sim iterations of Pro Beach and FIFA street! !!
And here comes the big surprise.I checked google about this Disney Sports Soccer game as i was sure that it was published from Disney Interactive or EA games.But for big surprise ,guess who is the publisher and developer of this game...Yeah,yeah ladies as nd gentlemen! !!It is the Mtr-Fkn KONAMI!!!KONAMI for God's sake. ..How can this company be behing every groundbreaking game of decade 2000-2010 and after that they go lower and lower in reputation as we approach today!!!

Here is the Wikipedia page and i am pretty sure that the Gamecube version is light years better than the GBA i played.
FINALLY big shame on ea sports and the producer of Pro Beach,cause where they failed hard,KONAMI achieved something better using Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck instead of real people.Mickey Mouse ffs!!!

Update:Yes it is better on Gamecube.!Dear god , it is a hybrid of 5on5 mini football with game engine from ISS (KCEO) gameplay.

Last edited:
@slamsoze: I agree completely with your take on the foofery and faffery (I can't get enough of this saying thanks to you @WhoAteMeDinner) around 5vs5 football games...I remember playing FIFA Street on the PS3 and having a good time with it on the futsal mode/6vs6 field, but limited myself to not using the trick stick to achieve a somewhat realistic Futsal simulation, at least on my behalf, as the AI kept pulling off tricks anyway. It was fun and challenging, because without the tricks you have to pass the ball around cleverly to create even the slightest bit of space for a shot - just like in real-life futsal - on a very small pitch.
I still believe a fully-dedicated, decent futsal simulation would sell like hot cakes (particularly given the current environment where both FIFA and PES are completely stagnant/declining).

I was completely unaware of the existence of that game, good stuff! Sounds like a gem. Great ball physics, interesting AI behaviours, and...360 dribbling! Goddamnit. Was Konami actually allocating all of their efforts on a football game with Mickey Mouse instead of working on PES? It would've been the ultimate prank...

@slamsoze: I agree completely with your take on the foofery and faffery (I can't get enough of this saying thanks to you @WhoAteMeDinner) around 5vs5 football games...I remember playing FIFA Street on the PS3 and having a good time with it on the futsal mode/6vs6 field, but limited myself to not using the trick stick to achieve a somewhat realistic Futsal simulation, at least on my behalf, as the AI kept pulling off tricks anyway. It was fun and challenging, because without the tricks you have to pass the ball around cleverly to create even the slightest bit of space for a shot - just like in real-life futsal - on a very small pitch.
I still believe a fully-dedicated, decent futsal simulation would sell like hot cakes (particularly given the current environment where both FIFA and PES are completely stagnant/declining).

I was completely unaware of the existence of that game, good stuff! Sounds like a gem. Great ball physics, interesting AI behaviours, and...360 dribbling! Goddamnit. Was Konami actually allocating all of their efforts on a football game with Mickey Mouse instead of working on PES? It would've been the ultimate prank...
We have posted again in this topic about the ISS KCEO versions for N64 which had some differences from the PSX,or some iterations of pes2012/2013 for Wii or some previous for GameCube which were different from the versions we all played in the popular platforms PC/PS2/PS3. It seems that every time KONAMI teams up with NINTENDO they can produce interesting alternatives.Although they like to have introversion and controversy in most cases.The darkness of this team up , KONAMI+NINTENDO makes me fell like I watch the LoTR trilogy but in an alternative version that Sauron possesses The ring of Power since the first five minutes of the first movie!

great thread guys. I think alternating between retro and new pes may be the way to play pes - when one gets frustrating move to the other one.

I think a 2013/2018 would be the best combo for me. A 2011/2017 combo may also be good.

Need to get the x360 out at some point.

I was promoted in Serie A with my Riganpool :D. It was a relaxing ride, especially after I realized there was no need to arrive second, but the third place would have done as well. Schwarz (I swear this guy is the second coming of Batistuta) top scorer of D2. I also brought in Fatecha (gk) and Schmidt (defender/sweeper) from the youths. Schmidt is a beast of a defender but he works best as a sweeper. We'll see how good the a central defensive duo of a normal CB and a SW will work I guess.

Not much movement on the market in summer, btw. I appointed some new staff for the youth team, for the training and for the transfers, and promoted a good offensive jolly, korean guy from the youth team.. I also tried to make bids for Adebayor and Yaya Toure, but they all cost way more than I can afford.. so no big transfers, and that's actually nice that exactly as I remember, when you start with the minimum budget you actually can't make an all star team on year two.. not even close lol.

By the way Minanda retired and I'm without a passing midfielder for my 4 3 3. I lost against Genoa and draw against Inter so I looked at a solution.. and a very nostalgic one came on my radar between the target: De la Pena.. a guy who flopped in my Lazio in his golden years, but for some reason is still remembered fondly by us.. so I made a bid and he arrived for jut 2 millions or something. He's 35 years old and despite being very slow, still has a bunch of 90s in technical and passing stats.. so that's the perfect substitute for Minanda.

Guys, has anyone got a WE7 copy with english traduction by fernando or a patched english game ? I mean the japanese WE7 released in summer 2003, not the international one. I tried it yesterday, it plays better than PES3 IMO, but japanese texts are annoying.

Used to have it. I've searched like a crazy but I still can't find it :((. Will up it if I do.

@miguelfcp, thanks man, although I must say the foofery and faffery the likes of you, @mattmid , @slamsoze and @fmicablues7 do with retro PES game data and player stats is far superior to the KCEO (Konami Osaka) "professional" game studio work on Disney Sports Soccer as I notice that all the players on each team are identical and the commentary makes Brookers and Brackers bolloxology in PES seem an audio masterpiece in contrast. @slamsoze is quite right that if they restricted the trick moves guff to about ten per cent of the game time, then it would be half decent.
Disney have tried "soccer" games loads of times: ACME All-Stars on the Sega megadrive / genesis back in 1995 comes to mind too.

And finally @miguelfcp, why in "Pro Beach Soccer" (EA Sports, what a bunch of wank*rs :R1:R1:R1), did the "blue cloud" around your Portuguese countrymen make them play worse ? Was it smog or a gas leak ?

:COAT::COAT::COAT:

@WhoAteMeDinner: Konami is sleeping (not that we are surprised by that...) on us here. Get the Retro-PES Corner crowd together in a room, and in a few months we'd have the best PES game ever made.
EA Sports didn't create Pro Beach Soccer, I think it was Wanadoo. The blue cloud was supposed to give "superpowers" to the team that filled their "skill meter" beforehand. You get like 1-2 minutes of possessed players whose shots almost always go in, and keepers who defend nearly anything. It's like a deal with the devil, but in the end he crosses you and after those 2 minutes the skill meter is zeroed out. This game was so satanic that developers pulled the plug and never released a Pro Beach Soccer game ever again...

It's a long shot but did FIFA Street PS3 have manual passing and shooting options? I never played it but i assumed it was based of their FIFA engine last gen so would have a lot of carry overs from that franchise.

What’s up fellas, I’d appreciate your thoughts on this:

Which PES (excluding 18 and 19, because my PC can’t run them) offers the most sim like experience in that stats truely matter and you can really feel the difference between a world class player and a second division player?

I’ve played PES 5 and while it’s a great game and might well be the answer to this question I was hopping for one of the titles between 2010 - 2017. I’ve heard great things about both 2011 and 2013

Which PES (excluding 18 and 19, because my PC can’t run them) offers the most sim like experience in that stats truely matter and you can really feel the difference between a world class player and a second division player?

I’ve played PES 5 and while it’s a great game and might well be the answer to this question I was hopping for one of the titles between 2010 - 2017. I’ve heard great things about both 2011 and 2013

I'd recommend 2010. 2011 speed stats are less meaningful. The passing is also more manual in 2011, while still remaining somewhat stats-based. 2012 and 2013 are also stats-based games, but they removed some important stats from that point like acceleration, aggression, shot technique and some special abilities like PK taker, 1-1 Keeper, covering, marking, etc... Stats have such a minimal impact on PES 2014-2019, so i'd not recommend these.

@ballsinwater: If you liked PES5 you're going to adore PES3.

I often do this little test: pick out Vornander (or Sol Campbell/maybe Wes Morgan in more recent PES) and try to do something "out of his league" with the ball, like trying to dribble out opponents. I found that PES3 is one of the PES in which the game punishes you the most for these kind of stupid actions. Spend a second too much with the ball with a guy like Vornander and you'll be in trouble rightaway.

Also on PES3, you'll definitely feel the difference between facing a lower-level team or a team that has the likes of Michael Owen, Roberto Baggio...on PES5 it's easier to contain top-level offensive threats like those.

As for the more recent PES games, I don't play them, but given the rather mystical "Team Spirit" that overrides stats and skill in order to give an upper hand to the player who prays to the Gods the most, anyone looking for a semi-honest simulation at least won't be too pleased with those games.

@MafiaMurderBag: Good question, honestly I can't remember. It definitely used the engine of FIFA PS3, that I can tell you, it was basically a FIFA game adapted to a different "environment".

2011 (which I'm playing atm) is definitely giving me this sensation.

All the D2 fake teams, that are full of bad players, were kinda bland and without great individualities (except in the few case they had, or bought one). I was promoted in Serie A and honestly teams are giving me much more problems in this first matches, both as general strategies and as single players. For example here Zarate (who indeed was a best in that year):

who dribbled through my defense with ease as his traits and stats suggests. I swear to you this isn't something you usually see from your typical 65 overall forward in D2 :D.

Unluckily, 2011 has some good flaws: very clunky animations, a general spikiness and the infamous catch up bug, but if you can get past it it's a great chapter.

For the rest, 2010 and 2012 are also great suggestions.

I'd avoid 2013 tho, after many tries I've resigned myself: the cpu is indeed venomously mono dimensional, with all the teams playing a too direct football regardless of tactics and players (gotta give credit to @fmicablues7 who denounced it for first time ago). The more I was playing it, the more I realized it feels less like the last "old" chapter, and more like the true precursor of the modern games.. at least in regards of the AI, because for the rest it's still a very very good game with many great things. But for the kind of variety you're asking.. look elsewhere, imho.

@ballsinwater , PES 3 is definitely the way to go. My old pal @fmicablues7 and I discussed at length way back on this retro thread the amazing gameplay speed and ball physics of this game.
Like appointing "Big Sam" or Dave "Harry" Bassett for a big promotion championship push, you can't go wrong with PES 3 my son.

:LOVE::LOVE::LOVE:

@miguelfcp , your migness, have you played much of the PES 3 Master League save yet or has the foofery and faffery got in the way ?
:SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:

Be interested to know what version you are playing: PC, PSP or the glorious PS 2 original edition ? And have you applied the usual extremely tough squad and transfer restrictions on your game save ? The default only squad save would be pure torture in this game as there is no player development for most players.

Back
Top Bottom