The Retro-PES Corner

How comes, all the pes iterations for Nintendo consoles GameCube,Wii etc have some extras, which their respective versions for xbox360/ps3/pc/Xbox/ps2 do not include. Remember recently someone posted about dynamic stamina maybe in PES2010 and the smoother menus 13 had in Nintendo Wii.
Was this an agreement between the two Jap companies that allowed some extra creativity?

How comes, all the pes iterations for Nintendo consoles GameCube,Wii etc have some extras, which their respective versions for xbox360/ps3/pc/Xbox/ps2 do not include. Remember recently someone posted about dynamic stamina maybe in PES2010 and the smoother menus 13 had in Nintendo Wii.
Was this an agreement between the two Jap companies that allowed some extra creativity?
The 2013 Wii version felt smoother than the PS2 version in match as well. Konami people must have been Nintendo fanboys.

@MafiaMurderBag: Are you enjoying PES3? This one had a profound impact on this retro-journey of mine. Hadn't played it for more than a decade, then tried it and it blew my mind.

@MafiaMurderBag: Are you enjoying PES3? This one had a profound impact on this retro-journey of mine. Hadn't played it for more than a decade, then tried it and it blew my mind.

@miguelfcp, and on that subject miggy, how is the "Man for all Positions", the Portuguese playmaker, man-marker, right-back, central midfielder, defensive midfielder and most of all Capocannoniere (21 goals in my PES 6 Division 1 title win), doing for you these days ?

@WhoAteMeDinner: Sousa Cruyff? :PIRATE: I haven't played my PES08 ML for a few months, one would say ML United is hibernating right now :DD
My problem with Sousa is that I can't start him over Stein (alongside Gutierrez, my favourite player on this save, and one of the ML defaults I like the most), Van den Berg ("The Analytics' MVP", as he's had the best average match rating of our squad on every single one of the 8 years of the save!) or Hamsun, who got the "part" of Minanda when he retired, as I turned him from the striker that he is into an AMF. Both Stein and Hamsun are over 30 now, but still not declining their stats. I guess sooner or later they will do so, particularly Stein who I believe is 34, and Sousa will naturally take over as a starter. In the meanwhile, he remains our "12th player", always ready to play on any position.

How about you, have you been playing your PES3 ML or the PES6 one with your bombastic version of Sousa? Playing him as a striker was a stroke of genius, no one saw it coming. The idea did save my a** that time on my save when all of my strikers were either injured, suspended or on their National Teams; played Sousa as a CF and he got 2 goals and 1 assist or something like that.

It's interesting because when i started going through the retro games, i jumped around in no particular order, From 5/6 to 2013 to 2010 & '11, recently 2008 then finally PES 4 and lastly 3.

I expected 3 to be the most primitive of them all as working backwards from 4, i expected it to just be an inferior version of PES 4, but it's surprising how different you impression of these games are when you have them all at once for reference. They seem more like stand alone revisions that are more representative of a vision, an ideal of what a football game can be and what it should play like rather then annual tweaks and adjustments.

PES 3 felt more like a simulation then i remember it being, and in hindsight PES 4 felt like they wanted it to be a bit more frenetic and accessible. Part of the dopamine kick for me playing a "new" retro game is when you go, "woah, this FEELS different" and you have to relearn how to play it. You can't play PES 3 the same way you play PES 4 or 6. It's hard and you can't score at first but once you adjust and you break your dry spell, It's a rush!

The ball feels quite satisfying and the players are slower yet feel very responsive and smooth. But it teaches you that you can't go on runs with even the best players on this game and you're punished for not releasing the ball in a timely manner.

I need more time with it though as i'm still juggling about a dozen different games, not only football games and i finally upgraded to Windows 10 so i've been reinstalling everything and now some PES's wont run!

I had an issue with PES 3 where i could only play it in a window mode so i need to figure that out before i can go back in for more. Still, it's always a blast to go back to classic rosters. I played as Holland the other night and totally forgot that Davids had his own hair physics (which were strangely absent from future games) and that Van Der Meyde was a national prospect!

Depending what mood you are in you can choose between any of them because they are all different. I think 4 was a good balance between 5 and 6 but it's a shame the editing isn't as good.

Dunno if anyone remembers me from 1-2 weeks back. I posted long story of playing these old titles.. Anyway, managed to get PES6 working online and doing 1v1, 2v2 with buddy. It's a blast and brings back memories (+ some frustrations and harsh words ofc).. But the real reason why am I writing this is to tell you guys that you're wasting time. PC version of this game can't be compared to PS2. Inferior game mechanics, constant glitches, weird ball movement after first touch and input delay is basically what PC version is about. For ppl that always loved PES and didn't ever play it on console, I advise you to do so. It's far superrior game over there. Take care football lovers!

Dunno if anyone remembers me from 1-2 weeks back. I posted long story of playing these old titles.. Anyway, managed to get PES6 working online and doing 1v1, 2v2 with buddy. It's a blast and brings back memories (+ some frustrations and harsh words ofc).. But the real reason why am I writing this is to tell you guys that you're wasting time. PC version of this game can't be compared to PS2. Inferior game mechanics, constant glitches, weird ball movement after first touch and input delay is basically what PC version is about. For ppl that always loved PES and didn't ever play it on console, I advise you to do so. It's far superrior game over there. Take care football lovers!

@Titch , exactly cheesehead, exactly. Old Sly never lies and neither does the Dinner. I have been saying the same on here for ages. @rockstrongo , my Swedish main man went out and bought a Playstation 2 slimline remodel last year and dug up all his old PES Playtstation 2 discs for this reason. @miguelfcp, Miggy plays on the Playstation 2 as well.

The PC with all its inherent screen glitches, lag and as you said delayed input response just can't make the likes of PES 3 or PES 6 play with the speed, fluidity and instant controller response on-screen that is guaranteed with the Playstation 2 and I imagine is the same on Nintendo and Microsoft consoles.

The ball in PES 3 moves like a bullet and needs a console's dedicated gaming configuration to handle it.

Last edited:
Anybody knew about Football Kingdom? It's a Japan exclusive football game from Namco around WE6/7 time. From what I've seen on YouTube it looked way better than any football games back then.

Better game than PES 3 through 6.

Depending what mood you are in you can choose between any of them because they are all different. I think 4 was a good balance between 5 and 6 but it's a shame the editing isn't as good.
Oh god, how can i forget about the editing. I forgot to mention this when i was reminiscing about PES 4, leading into release of PES 4, again having to rely on magazines, they didn't really divulge much information about edit mode, so i had no idea about the limitations until launch day. I was a big edit mode junkie on PES 3 and especially loved how even though the game had fake kits, you could edit them with the real kit designs that Nike, Addidas & Puma were using at the time, so you could recreate France, Brazil, Arsenal 7 Man Utd kits accurately apart from the crests and sponsors. So logically, being a sequel, i was especially excited at the prospect of recreating my beloved Nike total 90 kits for Portugal and Holland with a faithful template and for the first time being able to add crests, kit manufacturers and sponsors to the kits. I would fantasize about delving straight into my edit mode on launch day and being greeted with the wealth of new options only...

...The edit mode had been nerfed! Not only was the current addidas and Nike kit templates nowhere to be seen, for some absolutely unknown fucking reason, we famously couldn't create kits with:
  • Stripes
  • Halves
  • Hoops
  • Chequers
And we got some weird textured shirts with hearts on it because Konami. This is only my second game in the franchise and my first introduction to the frustrating, mind boggling methods of madness and regression from Konami. They made up for it with PES 5's edit mode and even for the only time, a boot creator and then they fucked it up with PES 6 & 2008 on next gen.

But the real reason why am I writing this is to tell you guys that you're wasting time. PC version of this game can't be compared to PS2. Inferior game mechanics, constant glitches, weird ball movement after first touch and input delay is basically what PC version is about. For ppl that always loved PES and didn't ever play it on console, I advise you to do so. It's far superior game over there. Take care football lovers!

Are you sure that's not placebo or that your experiencing some kind of Mandela effect there? PES 6 on PC is literally the exact same code as the PS2 version if not superior due to the improved tech we can play it on now. Are you referring to online in which latency and input delay is kind of inevitable?

i mean, you've been playing pes 3 a lot lately, so i was thinking maybe you have made some edits to share?

Nothing special sadly. I'm working on some kind of "fantasy" OF. I just added some classic sets from PSD database (for example, 10-13 C. Ronaldo, 11-12 Messi, Ronaldinho 04-06, etc...). I can upload my option file if you want.

I discovered something really annoying (for me at least) in PES3. In the Master League, the CPU teams never change the free-kicks/penalties takers according to stats, it'll always be related to the same position. For example, I put Messi as a CF and taking free-kicks and penalties in the edit mode for Barcelona, and then i started a Master League and played against Barcelona (which bought Lukaku and put him in CF position), it was Lukaku taking free kicks, even though he has bad stats. It was frustrating because they had both Juninho and Beckham in the lineup :THINK:. That's a bit annoying.

It is not the first time i hear that. I think i'll test this assumption one day. I wouldn't be surprised that Konami fucked up a bit the PC version compared to the PS2 one.

@MafiaMurderBag do you still have any of your pes3 edits somewhere in your archives? :)

@fmicablues7 thanks, but i'm not really into fantasy and current players :) i though you might have some original season edits. ;)

p.s. for windows 10 issues with older pes games, try this: http://enbdev.com/download_convertor_dx8todx9.htm

that's why i still use win 7.
Sorry, i'm just using a patched WE7 from Sany's topic.

And yeah those DX9 Dll's are essential to play retro PES on modern systems. Funnily enough i upgraded to Win 10 over the weekend and of course the first thing i did was reinstall all my classic PES games and ironically, It's actually PES 5 & 6 that worked perfectly and ran first time on the new OS and actually the newer ones like '11 & '13 that i had to really mess about with to get working.

In PC you have kitserver speed adjustments to deal with that. I'm playing PES 3 on something like 0.9 to achieve realistic speed.
If it moves just as quickly and smoothly as console games with no lag or screen input delay.
Then mate, you have PC gaming nirvana. Foff and faff away dude.

Sorry, i'm just using a patched WE7 from Sany's topic.

And yeah those DX9 Dll's are essential to play retro PES on modern systems. Funnily enough i upgraded to Win 10 over the weekend and of course the first thing i did was reinstall all my classic PES games and ironically, It's actually PES 5 & 6 that worked perfectly and ran first time on the new OS and actually the newer ones like '11 & '13 that i had to really mess about with to get working.
Same as @MadbaLL im staying in win7 safe zone, after a bloody hell semester with win8.1 years ago. Until an other reliable OS like xp or 7, it is no win10 for me. Win7 for the win!! :) :)

Regarding technical issues with retro pes I have a 2014 Lenovo i5 low-end laptop without V-ram. I can play all pes up to 2010 on max settings, 2011 to 2017 I can play on medium or high up to 14, with settings enforcer (jenkeys tool) cause of the stupid KONAMi limiting in their settings after 11.
What impresses me more is that only in 12-13 I have some occasionally screen tearing which I don’t have in 15-16-17 for example! And what amazed me even more is how sources-hungry is the PES 3. I played the wendeta patch from Sany and I noticed while I had Fraps on, a huge FPS drop in celebrations cutscenes. How the heck did these Konami dudes achieved this back in 2003 to develop a game that drops a PC from ten years later!!!And I wondered why my old pc back in 2004 needed gpu upgrade to play it. :P

None of these things are present on the game I play. And its on Win10.

Yep, but for every forum member who says the PC is as good for gameplay fidelity, there is another who says it is not.
Fair to say that everyone's experience of a PC football game is based on a tonne of system specs differences and that just does not happen with consoles.

Played a bit of 2011 last night for the first time in a long while.

Still feels surreal playing this off the back of PS2 era PES. This was Konami's first attempt at modernizing the game, slickenign the presentation and giving the players a real light and nimble feeling and finally incorporating 360 dribbling and independent ball physics. I love the way this game looks and it seems to have such a smooth frame-rate, was it 60fps on PS3 can anyone remember?

Couple of things though, When your keeper scoops up the ball, you can't really control them the way you can on later games, for some reason, they're automated unless you want to throw it out. Secondly, you can change the game speed from 0 up to +2, but can't slow it down past 0. Lol wtf?

Also, who could forget this was Konami's debut of their motion blur fetish. Thankfully you could disable it on the PC.

Played a bit of 2011 last night for the first time in a long while.

Still feels surreal playing this off the back of PS2 era PES. This was Konami's first attempt at modernizing the game, slickenign the presentation and giving the players a real light and nimble feeling and finally incorporating 360 dribbling and independent ball physics. I love the way this game looks and it seems to have such a smooth frame-rate, was it 60fps on PS3 can anyone remember?

Couple of things though, When your keeper scoops up the ball, you can't really control them the way you can on later games, for some reason, they're automated unless you want to throw it out. Secondly, you can change the game speed from 0 up to +2, but can't slow it down past 0. Lol wtf?

Also, who could forget this was Konami's debut of their motion blur fetish. Thankfully you could disable it on the PC.

It looks amazing to be sure, but give me a PES edition from the Playstation 2 era any day.:COAT::COAT::COAT:

Looks nice. The catch up bug always put me off PES 11 somewhat, loved how you could customise menus and buy new wallpapers etc. Still playing plenty of PES 3 atm, never thought i'd be going back in PES's lol. So many PES's so little time :BYE:

@martyl2: God damn it, your last sentence says it all. A ML save here, a league file there, editing an OF on one game, then on another...even if I wanted to play modern-PES, I'd never have the time for it.

Are you sure that's not placebo or that your experiencing some kind of Mandela effect there? PES 6 on PC is literally the exact same code as the PS2 version if not superior due to the improved tech we can play it on now. Are you referring to online in which latency and input delay is kind of inevitable?

@MafiaMurderBag I played this game since ISS days. Even now after 10 years of almost not playing PES at all, can edit player's positions in formation with barely looking at a screen. :)
Don't think it's placebo or mandela effect. It just feels and plays quite weird.. And I get ppl that say they don't have any problems with the game, cause they've been only doing PC version in singleplayer all this time. But difference is there and anyone that spent some time on PS2 back in the day will feel noticable inferiorities while playing PC title.
Even the guy from pes6 servers few days ago told me this game on PC and PS2 is two different worlds, and that he gets what I'm saying. (just in online mode he have 2000-3000 matches, so he probably played some offline as well during last 13 years :D)

One thing I would say PC version did better is that it seems some 90% goal chances from ps2 are lot,lot harder to achieve here. When you have a great goalscorer shooting towards goal from a bit far penalty area, I'm used to see it in the net, as said at least 90% of times. But now those kind of goals I score in like.. 50%.

Although that's the really only thing I've liked about PC version.
Just to fulfil this "yin-yang", try that oldschool move and shoot free kicks by barely touching circle. (yeah, not square!) It works at distances from 16-20m. On ps2 I would suceed 3/10 times. In pc version I tried it 3 times, scored 3 goals. Just got lucky? Maybe..

For the reference, maybe I just didn't get to that kind of depths in game, but these two outcomes I've never experienced on PS2.. Saw them both in one night on PC.
https://www.twitch.tv/senseiofworms/clip/LittleHardGullCmonBruh?
https://www.twitch.tv/senseiofworms/clip/ConsiderateGiantTroutSwiftRage? (watch your ears, loud ending on this one)

Last edited:
@martyl2: God damn it, your last sentence says it all. A ML save here, a league file there, editing an OF on one game, then on another...even if I wanted to play modern-PES, I'd never have the time for it.

Keep up the good work on the site.
Reading your PES 4 review brought me back in time mate, its great to be able to play them in 2019 and still appreciate them for the great games they are.

Back
Top Bottom