The Retro-PES Corner

Dunno if anyone remembers me from 1-2 weeks back. I posted long story of playing these old titles.. Anyway, managed to get PES6 working online and doing 1v1, 2v2 with buddy. It's a blast and brings back memories (+ some frustrations and harsh words ofc).. But the real reason why am I writing this is to tell you guys that you're wasting time. PC version of this game can't be compared to PS2. Inferior game mechanics, constant glitches, weird ball movement after first touch and input delay is basically what PC version is about. For ppl that always loved PES and didn't ever play it on console, I advise you to do so. It's far superrior game over there. Take care football lovers!
how are you playing online 2v2? I wanna play :) I've got PES6 on pc

I haven't played 2019 until today with friends. Holy crap what a horrible game it was, I thought FIFA was gonna take the cake this year but Konami managed to one-up EA.

* Body movement: it felt like players regardless of agility wear tons of lead ballasts around their body while flapping under the water.

* Animation: still bad since my last new gen PES which was 2015. GK save animations were very unrealistic.

* Technical issue: I don't know if it's a problem or I'm just not used to it but every single key press in 2019 felt very delayed (PS4 version)

* Defending: how are you supposed to cut passing lanes with players moving like snail without the dash button? X button is also useless, players just wing it in shoulder to shoulder battles.

Back to retro PES for me.

I dabble with '19 every now and again and the only way it feels rewarding to me is to play on full manual. It's the only way i can really feel satisfied like "I created something, I created that goal or I gave away possession that led to conceding" But there's elements of the game that i don't like in that it feels less like a "Recreation of Football in the form of a game" and more like a "Football - Game". There's elements that even playing against the AI on Regular difficulty, there's still that guaranteed counter attack feel when you giveaway possession, which i get it, happens on occasion in the real game but on '19, It's so frequent that it just feels like bending over and sighing "Here we go, just get it out your system then."

The philosophy of '19 seems to be an emphasis of turn and pass and run. It's more manageable offline and i can for the most part enjoy it but boy you take that game online and it just becomes "Call of PES" or "PES of Duty", whatever one you wanna quote.

What PES do you think has the most stand out individuality?

I was playing PES 3 last night (courtesy of the Wolfe Patch) and it seems that every player feels different to control, from every touch and nuance to shot style and speed, makes the game so enjoyable to play. Whereas now in 2019 it all just feels so samey.
PES 2013, by then Konami had perfected their index card system. I haven't played any football game with better representation of individuality.

Meanwhile, on my ML Default/newgen-only PES08 PS2 ML, Gutierrez is solidifying his status as the best ML Default I've ever had on any retro-PES game.

xyOrVS8.jpg

He'll be the first to play 300 matches for ML United, and is by far the club's top scorer - with an astounding 100 goal advantage over Ordaz.

Last edited:

I was playing PES 3 last night (courtesy of the Wolfe Patch) and it seems that every player feels different to control, from every touch and nuance to shot style and speed, makes the game so enjoyable to play. Whereas now in 2019 it all just feels so samey.
I think as the PS2 game's stats were mechanically built around the limitations of the engine, they were more pronounced and I think it was one of the era's where players actually behaved like their real life counter parts. You actually feared fast players like Henry getting on the ball, Dribblers like Saviola and hated defending corners against players like Koller.

So i'm suggesting they really nailed the nuances on all the PS2 PES games and it's no secret why individuality was so pronounced on PES 3, I think by the time they got to PES 5 & 6, they'd improved this philosophy even more.

PES 2013, by then Konami had perfected their index card system. I haven't played any football game with better representation of individuality.
I'm looking forward to playing more of PES 2013 but the little i have of it, Yes i can't argue with you there. It's really sad that once Konami started modernizing the game and making it play like footballing bliss by the time '13 is released, they threw it all away and started from scratch on the Fox Engine a year too early with '14.

It's like they was afraid of being criticized for releasing the same looking/playing game with '14 and thought it would affect sales so they pressured the devs to ship the Fox Engine PES in it's current build when it clearly was far from finished.

I'd have taken PES 2013.5 over what we got any day.

Well, PES 2013 can't be considered the best PES individuality-wise anyway because of the lack of acceleration and shot technique stats, which are fundamental stats to portray accurately a player individuality IMO.

I had Pes 06 on Pc and was blown away by Xbox 360 versions graphics when I got a glimpse of it on a shop back in 2006.

Funny how little the difference is actually. Even then, I was finally able to play Next gen Pes 06 [Pes 07 on Us] on pc today after 12 years.

There are still issues like sounds are bugged, minor graphical glitches. The keyboard controls are reversed since Xenia [x360 emulator] doesn't have button mapping functionality- basically forcing me to move players with left hand while I usually control players with arrow keys on right hand. Even then, it's Pes 06.

Don't know if it's possible to use option files on x360 pes 06 or whether Xenia even supports importing files at the moment. Maybe it will be possible in few years.

I haven't found anyway to import option files though. Maybe it doesn't have that feature after all. But another annyoing thing is that I can't find a way to transfer players or even change starting line up permanently. So I have to bring Ronaldo and Robinho to starting line up everytime I start a match with real madrid.

Here's a captured footage of me playing the game on emulator [Captured footage ended up being a stuttery mess even though actual gameplay was almost locked smooth 60 fps]:

Edit: But this game has 3D grass. 3D grass really changes the graphics of these sports games. Don't why why FiFA removed it on 7th consoles since FiFA 08 [EA did brought back 3D grass on 7th consoles since FiFA 17 but those games are trash], and PES started using fake 3D grass textures since Pes 10 [at least those still looked nice].

Last edited:

Exactly cheese head, exactly. @martyl2, you got it in one post mate. For me and my main man @fmicablues7 , PES 3 is genre defining and every later PES edition is just more pretty on the eye graphically and the gameplay never got close to PES 3.

And as someone with glasses that have lenses as thick as coffee jar bottoms, the NTSC 60 hrz 560 p look was just fine.

@martyl2: Thanks, appreciate it. And no, it's not sad at all, I've read it and it's a wonderful source for retro-PES gaming. It's not a coincidence that we call it "the retro-PES Bible" around here :DD. The guide explains everything about the game in a detailed way - what the player stats actually represent, team strategies, team guides...

Let us follow the word of the good book, the PES-retro bible, and not stray from the PES 5 manual word of god. For he who plays PES 3 to PES 6 will find all the spiritual and football guidance he needs. Whereas those who have strayed from the true path and taken up with "new testament".

Repent.

I own and read both PES 5 and 6 Piggyback guides. By now they are out of print and circulation for more than a decade, I don't think it's illegal or immoral to scan and upload them for archival purposes. What do you guys think?
No, of course it is ok. How else can we spread the word. And the guides included with console discs back in the day were just tiny forty page booklets.

@du0 I'd like to see the PES6 guide I've never seen that one. I didn't know there was one actually!

I wasn't aware until recently either, got it off Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1903511941

Have barely read it to be honest, but believe it has some useful info like how much form and tiredness can effect the player stats and so on (important because stats used to matter! :D ).

I think as the PS2 game's stats were mechanically built around the limitations of the engine, they were more pronounced and I think it was one of the era's where players actually behaved like their real life countery parts. You actually feared fast players like Henry getting on the ball, Dribblers like Saviola and hated defending corners against players like Koller.

So i'm suggesting they really nailed the nuances on all the PS2 PES games and it's no secret why individuality was so pronounced on PES 3, I think by the time they got to PES 5 & 6, they'd improved this philosophy even more.

I'm looking forward to playing more of PES 2013 but the little i have of it, Yes i can't argue with you there. It's really sad that once Konami started modernizing the game and making it play like footballing bliss by the time '13 is released, they threw it all away and started from scratch on the Fox Engine a year too early with '14.

It's like they was afraid of being criticized for releasing the same looking/playing game with '14 and thought it would affect sales so they pressured the devs to ship the Fox Engine PES in it's current build when it clearly was far from finished.

I'd have taken PES 2013.5 over what we got any day.
I think as the PS2 game's stats were mechanically built around the limitations of the engine, they were more pronounced and I think it was one of the era's where players actually behaved like their real life counter parts. You actually feared fast players like Henry getting on the ball, Dribblers like Saviola and hated defending corners against players like Koller.

I'd have taken PES 2013.5 over what we got any day

@MafiaMurderBag , as I am a true analogue dude in a digital world, and has eyesight that only needs 480p or 560p of graphics to be happy. I can only agree totally with your comments on PES 2 through to PES 6. And you have played almost all PES games. My last PES edition played was PES 2011.
The gameplay even in PES 6 directly reflects a player's stats and special abilities But unlike PES 3 or PES 2, you need to play nine or ten seasons to develop these stats fully.

Konami died for me about eight years ago. It is now just a FIFA-lite job.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom