The Retro-PES Corner

I started a Premier League as Chelsea in WE10. This game is maybe my sweet spot after all (loads of individuality, teams play differently, a lot of random things happening during matches, great cpu dribblers are effective without compromising the physical play (unlike PES 2008-2014 on PS2)).

This is also maybe the PES/WE game with the most content ever in the PS2 era : 38 stadiums, including all the stadiums from the big teams from back then (Stamford Bridge/Anfield/Highbury/Old Trafford/Olympiastadion/Signal Iduna Park/Mestalla/Santiago Bernabeu/Camp Nou/San Siro/Stadio Olimpico/Stadio Delle Alpi/Parc des Princes/Stade Vélodrome/etc...), all the leagues from PES5 including the Bundesliga, International Challenge, Nippon Challenge, Kit-Mixing, Random Selection Match, PES6-like ML, the most complete Edit Mode from PS2 era.

I started a Premier League as Chelsea in WE10. This game is maybe my sweet spot after all (loads of individuality, teams play differently, a lot of random things happening during matches, great cpu dribblers are effective without compromising the physical play (unlike PES 2008-2014 on PS2)).

This is also maybe the PES/WE game with the most content ever in the PS2 era : 38 stadiums, including all the stadiums from the big teams from back then (Stamford Bridge/Anfield/Highbury/Old Trafford/Olympiastadion/Signal Iduna Park/Mestalla/Santiago Bernabeu/Camp Nou/San Siro/Stadio Olimpico/Stadio Delle Alpi/Parc des Princes/Stade Vélodrome/etc...), all the leagues from PES5 including the Bundesliga, International Challenge, Nippon Challenge, Kit-Mixing, Random Selection Match, PES6-like ML, the most complete Edit Mode from PS2 era.
Sorry for being uninforned, what is Nippon Challenge?
Googled and found some old topics from evoweb and pesgaming, but none explains what it is, in a beginner's level.

Googled and found some old topics from evoweb and pesgaming, but none explains what it is, in a beginner's level.

Well, it's basically the International Challenge Mode dedicated to the Japan national team. I never tried it, but it seems there are exclusive things compared to the International Challenge.

If i remember correctly it was World Cup qualifiers and World Cup with Japan national team. You could also choose your Japanese players every qualifying match and then make a final list of players when you qualified for the World Cup.

It was the same in Winning Eleven 2014 with a dlc.

Last edited:

How can the Winning Eleven editions of each PES game be so much different and better than PES games ?

How can the Winning Eleven editions of each PES game be so much different and better than PES games ?

I believe the asian market was considered as more "hardcore" than the european/american one by Konami. Basically, european and american people got the arcadey versions of Winning Eleven, simply named as PES. It was well documented on this forum and on pesgaming.com and pesfan.com that these games were superior to their european counterpart.

I believe the asian market was considered as more "hardcore" than the european/american one by Konami. Basically, european and american people got the arcadey versions of Winning Eleven, simply named as PES. It was well documented on this forum and on pesgaming.com and pesfan.com that these games were superior to their european counterpart.
Ahhh, but how could you ever describe PES 3 as arcadey ?
And it sound to me more like Japanese gamers were just given some of the content from the next PES edition six months earlier than us.

But that happens with everything made in Japan from rugs to robots.

Must give it a go.

Anyone got a download link?
Thanks

I'm doing the classic master League with pes 5.
I started from 2nd division, I had so much difficult to score with castolo, ordaz, huylens :shiver:
In january I bought kerzhakov and zokora, and they changed our destiny, especially the first one with his acceleration and his great 1 vs 1 finishing.
We were promoted in first division by the second position (osasuna won the league).
Now we will challenge barça, real, the best spanish teams and the portuguese ones.
I improved the team with Fernando Llorente, pisculichi, mertesacker, mahamadou diarra and buckley (south african lwf).
A 4-4-2 with muscles and speed. I hope it will be enough :D

I'm doing the classic master League with pes 5.
I started from 2nd division, I had so much difficult to score with castolo, ordaz, huylens :shiver:
In january I bought kerzhakov and zokora, and they changed our destiny, especially the first one with his acceleration and his great 1 vs 1 finishing.
We were promoted in first division by the second position (osasuna won the league).
Now we will challenge barça, real, the best spanish teams and the portuguese ones.
I improved the team with Fernando Llorente, pisculichi, mertesacker, mahamadou diarra and buckley (south african lwf).
A 4-4-2 with muscles and speed. I hope it will be enough :D

@Fabri55, muscles and speed, a man after my own heart.

PES nostalgia time....:CRY::CRY::CRY:

PES 2 ML twenty seasons long at least. (No WE, WE LE, WE crunchie alternatives back then boys).

Even way back then, the default stalwarts of Kelsen, Valeny, Nachtegal and Espinas were kept in the squad. But just like @Fabri55 in his PES 5 campaign. I liked the quick, strong and big lads in the team as in PES 2, the ball floated around the pitch like a wet sponge, so you needed massive forwards to stick the head on the ball or boot it like hell to get any shot velocity.
I had a wing forward called Ol' Odado and Giovanni Elber my striker and a huge defensive midfielder called Bogota with a left boot like a hammer. Arellano was as always my playmaker, pulling the strings all over the pitch.

Those were the days......

@WhoAteMeDinner: PSP-PES is my toilet-football experience already :PINKS: There's a retro-PES for each occasion hehe.
-----
New on the Retro Sports Club:

- The Lab
- Sympathy for the Devil - Spoiler alert: Konami's satanic...?!?
- Temple of the Underdog
- PES5 Underdog National Teams: Latvia

A word about the "Lab": if you read the article, you already know I'm pursuing the idea of writing scouting reports on retro-PES teams. I was inspired by the team guide section of the PES5 Piggyback guide, but want to take it a step further and analyse each team's roster, tactics and playing style in a detailed way - check out the PES5 Latvia National Team report to see what I mean. What I called the "Retro-PES Lab" will be a compilation of these scouting reports, on any team of any retro-PES game I wish to write about.

But as much as I love to write, I can only cover a small amount of teams, so if you like the concept, I challenge you all to contribute with scouting reports of yours as well, in order to build the ultimate retro-PES scouting "bible" and cover as many teams as possible.

Does anyone else remember the DMF player called Bogota I mentioned above from PES 2 ? Can't recall him in other PES editions and suspect he was just another PES fictional version of a Colombian or Bolivian real player of the time.

But which real player ? He was a total beast, could defend in front of the back four on his own almost.

:THINK::THINK::THINK:

@WhoAteMeDinner

Konami's secret code of naming players after Cities of their nationality perhaps :LOL:

Just found this.... seems it might be him?

AS ROMA (ABRUZZI)
===============================

Lima (Bogota)

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Govinho_Lima

@mattmid , matters mate. It could be him, but Bogota is capital of Colombia and Lima is capital of Peru and this Lima guy is from Brazil.

Konami maybe just made a totally fictional midfield hard man with a shot like a bullet.

But you are right that the PES 2 walkthrough guide on neoseeker has Lima with Bogota in brackets, so more random naming of real players to avoid paying a penny in licensing or image rights fees. Good old Konami.

Last edited:
@mattmid , matters mate. It could be him, but Bogota is capital of Colombia and Lima is capital of Peru and this Lima guy is from Brazil.

This was probably their exact thinking, exchange his 'capital' name for another. :LOL:

It does mention his physicality in his wikipedia entry as well, so I think it could well be him.

This was probably their exact thinking, exchange his 'capital' name for another. :LOL:

It does mention his physicality in his wikipedia entry as well, so I think it could well be him.

Yeh but he was also much bigger in PES 2 than the Lima guy. I agree though that it is probably him as Konami always changed loads of details to avoid licensing claims.

They were brilliant game makers when they were cheapskates. Then they fell in with the wrong crowd:
FIFA and UEFA.
:R1:R1:R1

Anybody keeps a good set of settings for 2013 Gameplay Tool? I'm enjoying it atm, the ability to have zero replay cutscenes is a godsend.

Started wc 98 recap with iss 2 and playing with 8 underdogs (Scotland, Austria, Saudi Arabia, Bulgaria, Belgium, Iran, Tunisia and Jamaica). Difficulty - Hard
Group stage :
Basically, a walk in the park, six group winners, Iran and Saudi Arabia were second best. Iran after losing to Germany 2-1 in final round, and Saudi were beaten by Denmark in first round (2-1), but in a decisive match, trashed France 4-0.
Some notable scores :
Belgium impressive group record : 3 wins, goal difference 15-1
31GsrTZ.png

Lu2s0UL.png
Heroic victory, Scotland-Brazil 1-0
Loxwsqa.png
Gayle&Slimane show
pic6YXy.png

iPAWUTT.png
Saudi Arabia-France 4-0, 3rd round
after 2 rounds
MB0mxYs.png

Knockout stage :
83kDiKy.png

zzT2LvS.png

CmdfhjG.png

8tr6Ups.png

Totally different story in a knockout stage, much, much harder matches, tougher opponents, game cheating you all over the place. Somehow i managed to get one team to the final, and it was Jamaica. On the other side, mighty Germany ( trashed Croatia 8-0 in QF ), with tournament top goalscorer, and captain, Oliver Bierhoff.

Can Jamaica provide biggest world cup upset of all time?

Thanks to me old pals @mattmid and @Titch for following me down the PES 2 fictional name / real player rabbit hole.

We concluded that Bogota was in fact a Brazilian defensive midfielder called Lima. And that explains why they called him after the capital of neither Brazil or Peru. :CONFUSE::CONFUSE::CONFUSE:
Konami's naming logic has always been a touch random: Oranges018 or calling Ronaldinho the imaginative Naldorinho. And then Alex became Alix.

Personally I loved them when they did not care a toss for official licensing of players, clubs or stadiums or went over lavish on the look of the game. They used to just make damn good football games on the pitch, and now they just make.....
:NONO::NONO::NONO:

Back
Top Bottom