The Retro-PES Corner

Bulgaria vs. South Korea broadcast

Man of the Match: Kim Young-Ho. The midfield was entirely his today. Offensively, he was always a safe port for the team to exploit at will, using his body to smartly hold off opponents and then carry on with the play. Defensively, he pretty much neutralized Bulgaria single-handedly.

Up: Yoo Gwi-Hyeon. It's fair to say he wasn't at all brilliant but on one of the few occasions he had, he scored.

Down: D. Mitkov. Bulgaria's manager Balaikov altered the team's formation (from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2) to make sure one of the most talented Bulgarians played alongside M. Petkov up front; however, Mitkov was totally disappointing and did not at all justify such a change.

Down: Lee Kang-In. We're still eagerly waiting to see when this superb talent is going to appear in his most potent form in this tournament, for though you still see some flashes of brilliance here and there, Lee is currently only a mere piece in Korea's finely tuned machine when he should actually be THE piece.

It’s funny how i have played quite a bit of FIFA19 this year and yet coming back to Retro PES gives me a better feeling when i score goals like this with Ordaz!

PS Ignore the Wimbledon sounds in the background :)
I miss Being able to stream and upload properly with the older games,it's so easy on PS/xb
But yes,older games,I'm playing Pes 5 right now is much more enjoyable

Bulgaria vs. South Korea broadcast

Man of the Match: Kim Young-Ho. The midfield was entirely his today. Offensively, he was always a safe port for the team to exploit at will, using his body to smartly hold off opponents and then carry on with the play. Defensively, he pretty much neutralized Bulgaria single-handedly.

Up: Yoo Gwi-Hyeon. It's fair to say he wasn't at all brilliant but on one of the few occasions he had, he scored.

Down: D. Mitkov. Bulgaria's manager Balaikov altered the team's formation (from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2) to make sure one of the most talented Bulgarians played alongside M. Petkov up front; however, Mitkov was totally disappointing and did not at all justify such a change.

Down: Lee Kang-In. We're still eagerly waiting to see when this superb talent is going to appear in his most potent form in this tournament, for though you still see some flashes of brilliance here and there, Lee is currently only a mere piece in Korea's finely tuned machine when he should actually be THE piece.

Crap, wasn't I supposed to be Korea? Losing track of this thread/forum/life.

Not to worry @Flipper the Priest , looks like the lads did you proud.

Quick update for everyone else's games in case of confusion...

Wednesday @miguelfcp Ireland v Belarus (CPU)

Thursday @mattmid Serbia v @cosmo Hungary

Friday @Special4988 Belgium v @MafiaMurderBag Brazil

Saturday @sniglet England v @jihado86 China

Sunday all CPU at this stage Switzerland v Germany

If anyone doesn't see it in time we'll just use last time's instructions

Ahh, we have to play Brazil!? Ahh I guess everyone can't draw a matchup like China... I am assuming Brazil is loaded with young talent like always?

@Special4988 They were taken to penalties by Netherlands in the first round although they didn't play Vinicius Jr who is at Real Madrid in that one. They do have some great talent but they are far from invincible, like everyone else it seems in this tournament. If I'd had to stick my neck out at the start and pick a winner I'd have gone for France and they went out to Switzerland! If Cuypers continues his goalscoring form you'll have every chance I think.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Private Dinner, is there any message you want me to pass on to the players? They're in need of some inspiration. Perhaps reminding them of the wonderful feats of the likes of Sousa or Arellano? Take a page off of Roberto Baggio's playbook?

@miguelfcp , thanks for asking Miggy. Sorry was not able to take part.
Perhaps the Boys in Green don't quite have an Arellano or Sousa, but they can sure be inspired by you and Robbie Keane.

(Oh and hardly needs mentioning for Ireland teams: set-pieces).

:CONFUSE::CONFUSE::CONFUSE:

Last edited:
Match Day #21

Ireland v Belarus

Both teams tinker with their teams. Cheevers comes in for Barry at Full back and there's a bit of a shuffle in a reorganised midfield with Nugent coming in at DM and Thompson dropping to the bench. Dangerman Parrott is not playing his usual CF role but fear not, he has not 'ceased to be' as he is now in an advanced AM role. McCauley and Caffrey, who moves forward from midfield take up the striking roles.

Belarus bring in Pashevich for Mokhnach at CB while Trubilo switches to wide midfield. Belarus will hope to get their strikers more involved this time. Yaromko, in particular is full of quality. Whether they can get him the service he requires in what will be a tough, packed Irish defensive line is another matter.

irevb.JPG

Match Day #21

Ireland v Belarus

It's fair to say the 1st Half passed by with little incident. A few half chances but mostly a tough midfield battle. Belarus put some nice moves together but as soon as they neared the Irish box they soon lost possession as they were closed down. In particular Coventry was doing a fine job nipping in to steal any loose passes. Highlights begin with the first half chances only.

Round Up

Belarus, Belarus, can you do the fandango? Apparently not. At least not in the final third at any rate. They had some sustained pressure in the second half but only two or three times got into dangerous positions and all late on. Yaromko finally got his chance at the death but Bazuno got back into position quickly and showed his quality with the second of two good saves in the match. Had Yaromko taken it first time outside the box then it's unlikely Bazuno would have had time to get across. In the end it was like a variation of a Dickens novel. A Tale of Two Free Kicks. Bazuno made an excellent save from Yaromko's. Smirnov at the other end couldn't reach Parrott's and as it hit the bar and dropped, the scramble could only lead to a sliced own goal as the defender slid in to desperately try to clear the ball under pressure. A win that Ireland just about deserved for having the steel at the back to thwart Belarus whenever they got in range. That late Yaromko chance couldn't have been complained about had it led to extra time but Ireland will feel they did enough to be worthy of the win.

M.o.M Coventry. Channelled his inner Stein superbly. Part of a three man interception machine in midfield with Coffey and Nugent, getting 9 of the 21 interceptions between them.

Worthy Mention: The whole Irish back line played well and Bazunu showed his worth in goal and why he is on the books at Man City, as he made two excellent and crucial saves to see his side to victory.

Disappointment: Yaromko. Starved of service again. Had an excellent free kick brilliantly saved by Bazuno but ultimately that late chance, despite another good Bazuno save, really should have been buried by a player of his quality.

Round Up: Half the quarter final teams have now been decided and who would have thought that any of Poland, Austria, South Korea and Ireland would have been amongst the names making them up? Poland have looked the most convincing with a fine performance against Spain, but Ireland and South Korea are proving very stubborn opponents to beat whilst Austria have a real goal threat in Ederhofer and a quality midfielder in Schmid who hasn't shown a thing so far in the tournament. If he finds some form as well who's to say they couldn't make it all the way as well.

@mattmid
Should I be ashamed of winning with a goal like that?
Yes.
Am I?
Nop! :PIRATE:

It wasn't brilliant and if it weren't for Bazunu, we wouldn't have gotten through for sure. Still, we were competitive enough and this 4-4-2 diamond formation did okay today, much better than I expected honestly. I'm yet to be fully convinced on Parrott as an AMF.

@miguelfcp

(Oh and hardly needs mentioning for Ireland teams: set-pieces).

:CONFUSE::CONFUSE::CONFUSE:

Thanks for the heads-up, it sure paid off! :COOL:

First training match for my Torino youth squad.
Heavy training camp up in the mountains,but the boys went home to Torino for a game Vs Atalanta at Delle Alpi.
IMG_20190710_161925.jpgFirst half was dominate by Atalanta,but made a few tactical changes at the half time and 2nd half was all mine,but we lacked firepower up front,so the game ended 0-0 (after Xtra time,we don't practice the pen system here in Northern Italy)
IMG_20190710_164002.jpg
Obviously won't be any giveaways on tactics etc,but I think I have a few aces up my sleeves in this squad.
Referee was clearly on Atalanta's payroll and a sharp protest or a few sturdy guys will turn up at The Azzuri in Bergamo within a few hours.

Heh can you believe i thought i would test if PSD was up and running.

After typing in the address bar the page loaded and i had a big smile on my face until i realised i had subconsciously typed in evoweb instead and it was this page that was loading :D

First training match for my Torino youth squad.
Heavy training camp up in the mountains,but the boys went home to Torino for a game Vs Atalanta at Delle Alpi.
View attachment 17324First half was dominate by Atalanta,but made a few tactical changes at the half time and 2nd half was all mine,but we lacked firepower up front,so the game ended 0-0 (after Xtra time,we don't practice the pen system here in Northern Italy)
View attachment 17326
Obviously won't be any giveaways on tactics etc,but I think I have a few aces up my sleeves in this squad.
Referee was clearly on Atalanta's payroll and a sharp protest or a few sturdy guys will turn up at The Azzuri in Bergamo within a few hours.

Those Torino shirts @rockstrongo , possibly the best kit in PES 6.
And on poor Torino having always been getting a raw deal in Italian football.

I wonder why, you know who again.....

:NONO::NONO::NONO:

To me Parrott looked to be one of the best players on the pitch in that game. I was surprised with his AMF role, but thought he played it quite well. Maybe I am biased because he will be on my Tottenham team ;)

@Special4988 It's a Portuguese and everyone being midfielder's thing :D Just kidding @miguelfcp :LOL: He did play well there. I also thought that game had the two best free kick's we've seen so far in the tournament. Bazuno is quite a prospect keeper, I wonder if he'll ever manage to remove Ederson though. I guess he's enough years younger than him to have a chance.

@mattmid: I did try to build a 4-6-0 formation but the game wouldn't let me...:DD But did you guys - @Special4988 included as he's his manager - notice how he almost never tracked back? That's my trademark Midfield Target Man position :PIRATE: like Hamsun plays in my 08 PS2 ML save. I wanted him to be a striker with freedom to roam on midfield areas.

@rockstrongo: Damn, must get my Porto team in shape as well! This is the Tester League arms race, no one wants to look bad on the first-ever edition of our competition.

That reminds me Matt, we should organize a few friendlies later on in our pre-season period...

@WhoAteMeDinner, as a Retro-PES senator, will always get at least a VIP seat on every match.

I'll be more switched on the next time.

Round of 16 - Matchday #5 - Serbia (@mattmid) vs. Hungary (@cosmo)

NiBPdWn.png

(Tune in to the match broadcast in a moment..)

Back
Top Bottom