The Retro-PES Corner

1s half

M.o.M L. Markovic. Though he was far from brilliant (laughably missed a superb chance to score early on) he got one assist and one goal in this one - what more can you ask? He sure showed some flashes of brilliance and ended up being the most decisive individual in this match.

Up: Radics and Tedic. Both midfielders showed how to patrol the middle of the pitch. Tedic was a bit more active offensively, often appearing in the box even, while Radics was the anchorman every team needs at the back.

Up: Djerlek. Talented, agile, and a superb free kick taker with that wonderful 3-1 goal. Djerlek is the perfect support for Markovic up front.

Down: Hungary's offense. Though Hungary even scored a goal, their offensive production was shockingly bad.

Last edited:
@miguelfcp
I almost missed Djerlek's goal I was too busy shouting at the referee about how on earth was that not a penalty!! What a header from Milo... ! Markovic showed what he's got in patches didn't he, even if his shot was awful on his left foot. Djerlek is my kind of player without a doubt.

@mattmid
Yeah that was incredible, I'm 99% sure it was a penalty! I believe Milo's goal will be feature in the tournament's top goals, what a strike!

@mattmid: I did try to build a 4-6-0 formation but the game wouldn't let me...:DD But did you guys - @Special4988 included as he's his manager - notice how he almost never tracked back? That's my trademark Midfield Target Man position :PIRATE: like Hamsun plays in my 08 PS2 ML save. I wanted him to be a striker with freedom to roam on midfield areas.

@rockstrongo: Damn, must get my Porto team in shape as well! This is the Tester League arms race, no one wants to look bad on the first-ever edition of our competition.

That reminds me Matt, we should organize a few friendlies later on in our pre-season period...

@WhoAteMeDinner, as a Retro-PES senator, will always get at least a VIP seat on every match.

@miguelfcp , @mattmid , @rockstrongo ,

Thanks so much for the kind words my friends Miggy, Matters and Rocko. Not in a position to play sadly right now. But will keep following the match reports and enthusiasm
that makes this forum within a forum we have for Retro things always fun and intetesting.

@WhoAteMeDinner

Thanks. No problem :) Hopefully you can join some time in the future but we know you'll be involved on the sidelines anyway. You can be the honorary President of MIMA. I just thought of that actually :LOL: Nice play on FIFA seeing as it's Miguel and Matt! Just don't schedule the first World Cup for Outer Mongolia or somewhere. ;)

@WhoAteMeDinner

Thanks. No problem :) Hopefully you can join some time in the future but we know you'll be involved on the sidelines anyway. You can be the honorary President of MIMA. I just thought of that actually :LOL: Nice play on FIFA seeing as it's Miguel and Matt! Just don't schedule the first World Cup for Outer Mongolia or somewhere. ;)

@mattmid ,
@mattmid: The word "mima" in Portuguese is one of the (many) forms of the verb "to spoil", it kind of means "to coddle" in our language. Our babies are our clubs and we spoil them :LMAO:

Coddle is a kind of bacon and vegetable low cost meal in Ireland. Both meanings are more palatable to than....

FIFA......:NONO::NONO::NONO:

Match Day #22

Belgium v Brazil

With Brazil having knocked out Netherlands and Belgium having swept aside Scotland with a clinical display of finishing this was billed as the tie of the round. Could it live up to the expectations?

Strap yourself into your favourite chair, sit back and find out. Also spare a thought for the two managers who will be kicking every ball with their players.

belbralineup.JPG

A scintillating first half with Cuypers again proving he is deadly in front of goal, giving Belgium a lead that didn't last too long before Lincoln finished nicely from an Antony cross. A little less lively during the second half, but never dull, and a goal never looked far away although it never came. Brazil had the most of the ball and probably the most of the danger but couldn't find a way through the Belgium defence. Extra time continued in a similar vein until Baiye crashed home Belgium's second. They proceeded to see the game, via a few nervy moments though. A great win for the Belgians!

M.o.M Baiye. An excellent all round performance in the midfield. Masangu got the plaudits in the first round and rightly so, but Baiye outdid him this time. Always in the midst of everything good going on for Belgium he then became Johnny on the spot to get what turned out to be the winner. That is making light of it a bit though because it was a fine bit of control from a ball that could have got away from him. Not today though, he killed it nicely before firing into the underside of the bar and in.

Up: Had they won then Antony may well have got the M.o.M award. He was dangerous throughout the game, making lots of runs and always threatening even if it didn't always work out. Had 6 shots and got himself an assist with a nice low ball into Lincoln for the equaliser.

Up: Cuypers. Although fairly quiet for some periods of the game, whenever the ball was around the Brazil box he was a constant danger. Another goal to take the lead for the Golden Boot and also fired in the shot that Baiye was able to finish off on the rebound.

Disappointment: Vinicius, who having literally failed to show up in the first round, might just as well have missed this one as well. The only thing he managed to achieve during the game was a booking for a petulant challenge as he showed his frustration. A performance that the PES papers gave 4.5 about summed his day up.

Round Up. A fine win over Brazil to back up their 4-0 1st Round win will surely see Belgium now as a real contender for this World Youth Cup. Others may yet have a say, including England Germany IF they get through and there's no guarantee of that in this tournament, but this Belgium side may take some beating. Particularly when you consider that their creative men Leoni and Openda, whilst not playing badly, have yet to hit top gear.

The only worry for the Belgium manager was the bookings of Masangu and Cuypers. Another booking could cost them a semi final spot should they get there and he would not want to have either of them missing.

Brazil, for there part, played well and bossed the possession but found a keeper in good form when they did get through and played with 10 men largely with Vinicius rarely any threat at all.

@mattmid: I'm halfway through but I just want to say that I'm sure Brazil will lose this one...
VO1FQbe.png

Engels is on Brazil's bench complaining to the manager: why can Marx play and I can't? Once again, the people is oppressed with such blatant inequality.

PS: Marx is playing on the...Right side! :LMAO:

@mattmid:
Yet another fantastic match. I was almost sure Baiye would have missed the 1-2! Both teams played like undeniable title contenders and it was very enjoyable to see Brazil play, kudos to MMB for his team's performance. However, when a man like Cuypers is up front, all bets are off.
Vinicius looked as if he cared more about joining Real Madrid's pre-season than playing this match...

@miguelfcp
:LOL: Karl as they call him. :) That was a great piece of control by Baiye! A very good game from both teams. Vinicius has become an enigma!

@miguelfcp Yes, good idea about a pre season friendly.

Right, we'll be starting the first matches on Fri-Sun 26-28

World Youth Cup finishes on the 22nd, so if the manager's can get a team-line up and tactics etc sorted for the Tuesday (23rd) then we can play a quick round of pre season friendlies on the Wednesday and then you can make any changes if you want to in time for Thursday evening for the first round of the league.

Would you prefer to play a pre season friendly against a random team in the file rather than one of the other league clubs? I think that's probably better so as we don't play each other before the league otherwise it kind of spoils it? Up to you guys though. If a random team let me know if you'd rather play against a top side, average one or a weaker team.

We're going to be running some stuff behind the scenes during the test league to test out our bit and pieces we have planned for the full continuous League to give us a chance to iron out anything that doesn't quite work or whatever and also fine tune some stuff.

When it comes to the proper League what we plan to do is let you choose which team you want to be from the Youth File - we're thinking we'll probably keep the teams we have here but you don't have to. Then as by the time this test league is over (at current manager levels, that'll be a 14 game season) the real 19/20 season will be underway. What we'll ask you to do is pick up to 20 first team players from your real life team's first team and then you can pick up to 12 youth players from that team from this World Youth File.

This way the test league is an ideal chance to get to know the youth players and to see which 12 you'd like to select. There may be the odd player who has moved clubs from the youth file by then but as long as they aren't with one of the other manager's teams we'll keep them with who they are with now. If any of the youth players happen to be in the first team squad by the time we start they can be included in the 20 and that'll give you an extra player to pick for your 12 youth players.

We'll get you to pick the first team players about a month from the end of the test league season so I can get started on making them. The youth players can wait until the end as they are of course already made.

Current List...

League Format : Manager's list

@mattmid Lyon
@miguelfcp Porto
@sniglet Dinamo Zagreb
@Special4988 Tottenham
@jihado86 Bayern Munich
@wildwind Atalanta
@rockstrongo Torino
@Flipper the Priest Marseille

@rockstrongo It really is, isn't it!

Now lads, I wanted a good performance but really there was no bloody need for that!

Capture.JPG

I'm pretty sure that's the highest CPU v CPU score I've ever seen played out.

@rockstrongo It really is, isn't it!

Now lads, I wanted a good performance but really there was no bloody need for that!

View attachment 17404

I'm pretty sure that's the highest CPU v CPU score I've ever seen played out.
That's brutal mate!
I'm going to do some testing early next week,only played myself Vs the cpu.
10 min TP difficulty?

Btw,playing with these youth teams are so much fun,really challenging when stats are so low compared to playing star players

@Flipper the Priest I've wondered about the difficulty actually, I've always played them on top player so I can't answer that. I'll have to check it out. I've usually played 15 or 20 minutes although did play some 30 mins with the Amador file and that was very good as well. It didn't seem to play any differently that I noticed time wise. I don't think 5/10 mins would work that well though. I'll try some different difficulty levels at some point and let you know if it's any different

Just wondering whether you'd had a chance to play around and test the settings?

@Flipper the Priest Ah no, I'd completely forgotten I was going to do that. I've got a bit of time tomorrow I'll give it a go. I'll set up a cup with Lyon playing the same team 3 times and change the difficulty level for each match, see if I spot any differences. Actually I might set it up and play the first one now. I've found that putting Full Auto on Att/Def is best as well as at least then the AI can react to it's situation better. In this round of the World Youth Cup Spain played from about 30 minutes onwards when they were 1-0 down on Red, all out attack. Right through to the final whistle!

@rockstrongo Top player, yes, but a 20 min match. Thanks, glad you like it, it's set up so you can play ML as well. You can take Hammarby all the way :) All the free agents are real as well. Hidden/Classic aren't but I never use that option in ML anyway.

@Flipper the Priest Ah no, I'd completely forgotten I was going to do that. I've got a bit of time tomorrow I'll give it a go. I'll set up a cup with Lyon playing the same team 3 times and change the difficulty level for each match, see if I spot any differences. Actually I might set it up and play the first one now. I've found that putting Full Auto on Att/Def is best as well as at least then the AI can react to it's situation better. In this round of the World Youth Cup Spain played from about 30 minutes onwards when they were 1-0 down on Red, all out attack. Right through to the final whistle!

@rockstrongo Top player, yes, but a 20 min match. Thanks, glad you like it, it's set up so you can play ML as well. You can take Hammarby all the way :) All the free agents are real as well. Hidden/Classic aren't but I never use that option in ML anyway.
Deffo keeping that option file for future ML.
20 min it is.
Yeah I'd probably have a decent side somewhere around season 15-16:)

Well just got home from work and was excited to watch the Brazil-Belgium game. Wow, it didn't disappoint! Brazil's formation was an interesting choice, obviously very attack minded. Seemed to really work in the 2nd half as we were unable to mount much of an attack then.

Gotta say Cuypers is a stud. I will be watching him in RL now because of this youth tournament. Leoni seemed to have a quieter game than last, but still got a nice assist to Cuypers goal. Very happy with our defense and for sure Baiye put in a monster performance.

Excited for the England-China match next!

@Special4988 It will be interesting to see how many of these youth players make it to the top over the next few years. Cuypers is on fire in this tournament. It was even his good shot for Baiye's rebound as well. I thought it was a really good quality game yesterday, Brazil got on top a bit second half but Belgium were always dangerous and defended very well too. The keeper looks very assured as well, came out and made a couple of nice catches from corners/crosses and dealt with the shots well particularly that one down by the near post where he was up really quick to smother the lose ball as well.

@miguelfcp They fielded the under 12's :DD

Round of 16 - Matchday #7 | England vs. China

aYi6wjv.png

The World Youth Cup 2019 keeps on upsetting the world of football with its surprising and exciting matchups. This time around, after shocking eliminations such as Portugal and France's, it was time for England - perhaps the strongest team of this competition - to say goodbye to the WYC after a loss against China - the worst team of the tournament.

China's manager Jihado surprised everyone (and probably revolutionized football itself in the process) with Wang, a winger, as the team's centreback on his rather dynamic and always unpredictable 3-5-2 formation. On the other side, Griffiths had the support of superstars like Foden, Hudson-Odoi and Sancho, but despite how promising this offense looked on paper, and though they did score two goals, they were expected to do much more than what they did today.

China, despite having much less scoring chances, were very incisive and took advantage of a tremendously irritating England's CB duo to be able to score and keep on fighting for a chance to win it. This victory shows the importance of making the most out of your chances, even if they were few as China's were.

The question everyone's afraid to ask right now: will China...win the title?

Stick around and watch.

M.o.M: Griffiths. His team did lose but the man did everything he could to bring a rather uninspired England to the quarter-finals. Scored twice and missed a few more chances to score; even if it wasn't a perfect exhibition, he was the star that shone the brightest out there. He'll be missed.

Up: Shao Tianfa. While he was on the pitch he certainly was the leader of China's midfield (as expected), providing an always intelligent, safe port for them to be able to keep possession.

Up: Ma Kunyue. Though he conceded two goals, he made some superb saves to prevent England to score any more, including a last-minute one-on-one chance that Jones couldn't finish because of Kunyue's extraordinary intervention.

Up: Oakley-Boothe. England's anchorman was the leader of the defensive unit and was seen anywhere and everywhere cleaning up the mess. One of the few Englishmen who did seem to care about winning this match.

Down: Sancho/Hudson-Odoi. What, these two played? When the manager decided to pull them off by the 60th minute, everyone applauded and felt relieved. Yet another couple of stars who just didn't show up for the WYC - their substitutes Greenwood and Jones were much more active and perhaps, in retrospective, should've been on the starting-11.

Down: Medley/Panzo. This partnership just didn't work out. Medley did have some important interceptions here and there (despite having a very upsetting tendency to clear the ball away mindlessly instead of building up play), while Panzo was just horrible.

Last edited:
One of the best matches of the tournament - perhaps the best one if drama and David vs. Goliath combined is your cup of tea.
I'm now waiting for manager Jihado to watch this, and I'll fulfill the promise I made him a while ago. I'm going to have a new Evo-web avatar...

Back
Top Bottom