The Retro-PES Corner

I am playing both, the latest months. PES 2019 is like an eye-candy. It looks beautiful, it feels beautiful the first minutes of the match, the feel of control , the ball weight, the body-mass, but when the TopPlayer difficulty machine kicks-in, it becomes the most one-dimensional PES i have played. It just forces you to play a tap-in/one-touch contest, where you just spam the :x: button, until you get inside the penalty area to press :square: and score in an almost empty net. As i think @Madmac79 said, "it is more like a handball game". Any other gameplay approach just fails, the referee is supreme-biased, the CPU can make you a fatality and you are charged as offensive foul, your fellow teammates will crash on you, the most slow CB will catch-up your Mbappe. It has anything that can make you want to throw a controller on your TV screen (DESPITE ALL THESE, i still playing as a stubborn bi@tch, even if i don't enjoy it as much as i want, i still hope to win something from all this!). The biggest issue is that no matter your OPR and your TS, it seems as you never progress. I can tell you now in my current save i am Livingston in SPL, i have a 5-win streak , and i barely enjoyed one or two of my wins.

PES 2018 is what it is. A good control game, with super smooth transitions animations and much varied AI. It still has its flaws, like Haribo-candy bodies in collisions, extremely accurate passes and backheels, a little bit faster tempo, more cartoonish lighting. But at least if you can by-pass its flaws, it feels better for a ML run, i cheats less than 19 and it has a feeling of progress. It also allows you more playstyle mentalities than only tap-in, tap-in, tap-in. I can say that in my second season in my ML save here, i really enjoy my team, no matter i lose or i win.

To be honest, the only reasons i have not abandoned completely 19 for 18, is that i spent much more hours editing in 19, i almost have build my OF from scratch by my-self, except some kits i download from acknowledged OF community creators, and the more teams, more squad capacity limit (max 40 players), which helps my creativity and allows me arrange better the Free Agents. On 2018 most of my clubs are suffering as i have already filled them with 32 players, the old cap.

Finally for some damn unknown reason, despite 2019 is 200% more physical than 2018, and more fouls happen in matches, i find defending in 2018 more reliable than 2019! Can't explain this, but as your only weapon in 2018 to defend is either block a passing path or get yourself between opponent and ball with super-cancel, it seems to work better than 2019, where you can push with your body, or shield the ball. Although 2019 has more physical possibilities is seems that when the CPU wants you dead, none of these random events will happens, shielding, body checking etc.

2019 seems to have all the good elements in its core, but in the same time they cannot function to produce a good gameplay experience. Something similar happened to 2018 vs 2017 , before 2018's last DataPack.

P.S.: Both games i am on PA1, 10 minutes, TopPLAYER. The common flaw that share 2018 with 2019 , is the Unplayable Superstar level in MasterLeague. You are not even close to playing against teams based on stats. On superstar on both games you are playing constantly a ruthless cheating machine, either it is SPAL or Manchester City.
That's my main issue Slam,the defending on 19,I hate it!
If that was as smooth and good as 18s defending,I'd probably playboy more

That's my main issue Slam,the defending on 19,I hate it!
If that was as smooth and good as 18s defending,I'd probably playboy more
What i saw as a pattern after the last DP, the only-wide-low cross tap-ins are over. Now the CPU tries some other ways, But its 75% goals now are, CPU opponent receives a lobbed-through pass with a world-class control of the ball, he moves diagonally inside your penalty box and smashes the ball on your nets.

The worst part is that, even if you can say that your defender reacts human-like when moving in XY axis, when he moves in diagonal axis , he can't even position him self right, like his ball awareness is broken. Even if you position him right with supercancel, he will do some stupid backsteps or some weird animations, like he got an arrow in the knee and he cannot stop, a simple ball passing by him. No matter how i try to defend, my player keep opening paths in diagonal attacks.

And of coure in Top PLAYER the same occasion does not apply for human player, when attacking diagonally against CPU. There the CPU magnetizes the ball.

What i saw as a pattern after the last DP, the only-wide-low cross tap-ins are over. Now the CPU tries some other ways, But its 75% goals now are, CPU opponent receives a lobbed-through pass with a world-class control of the ball, he moves diagonally inside your penalty box and smashes the ball on your nets.

The worst part is that, even if you can say that your defender reacts human-like when moving in XY axis, when he moves in diagonal axis , he can't even position him self right, like his ball awareness is broken. Even if you position him right with supercancel, he will do some stupid backsteps or some weird animations, like he got an arrow in the knee and he cannot stop, a simple ball passing by him. No matter how i try to defend, my player keep opening paths in diagonal attacks.

And of coure in Top PLAYER the same occasion does not apply for human player, when attacking diagonally against CPU. There the CPU magnetizes the ball.
Really buggy and frustrating gameplay.
I got tired of it quickly again.
Pretty physical on TP though,but the defending is so bad

Even on 18, gameplay is many times frustrating on SS, simply because cpu is like a machine of cheats, and ofc fouled in the penalty is not a foul for the ref, play continues and my player is hit in the face but no foul, i just hope pes 2020 doesn t have this kind of shite

Down to the final 8 of WC 06!

We are down to the last 8 - 6 Heavy favourites including the last 2 World Champions France & Brazil who go head to head in an all star clash while the hosts Germany take on a golden generation of Argentinians!

Lots of chances in the games last night, and plenty of terrible finishing too!

Griffiths has messaged me on the England WhatsApp and he said KitKat Chunkies are fine too. Just passing that along @mattmid.

Feel bad for Marseille. What a chance just after the Lyon goal to get back in it.

I'm happy with 3 points obviously, but if Parrott could finish a chance the game would have been over long before we scored. El Kapitan was buzzing after the match, Baturina cried in the shower for 20 minutes after breaking his scoring streak. Love the passion but he seems a little unbalanced.

@wildwind Role on Atalanta, should be a fun game!

@Flipper the Priest Well, you did want a challenge! :D Don't forget you can change team for the main league, especially if you've pulled all your hair out by then!

World Youth League

Sunday 9.30 and 10.00pm (uk)

Porto (3-0-1, 3rd) v Atalanta (4-0-0, 1st)

Torino (1-1-3, 5th) v Bayern Munich (0-2-2, 6th)

My ML run started with barcelona,this is the third match away to betis at benito villamarin, looking to extend the win ratio at that stadium after last season s big 4-1 win saw messi score his best goal in la liga, betis started so well with high pressure and got their reward, but it finished2-3 to barcelona xd

versus athletico de madrid at the wanda metropolitano, a great sunny day for a great showdown betweens these two, it always comes to a close scoreline between them, however athletico here started brilliantly and scored early, i had to march my way into that 1-2 away win to be honest, it was a tricky and cagey match all along, but managed to get the win in the end, love the deflection for jesus's equalizer
settings:
SS
pa1
basic shooting

Last edited:
versus athletico de madrid at the wanda metropolitano, a great sunny day for a great showdown betweens these two, it always comes to a close scoreline between them, however athletico here started brilliantly and scored early, i had to march my way into that 1-2 away win to be honest, it was a tricky and cagey match all along, but managed to get the win in the end, love the deflection for jesus's equalizer
In my current 2018 ML, second season, TP, i lost vs At. Madrid 0-1 in CL , then i had the classic PES consequence of League matches that the CPU does not let you win no matter what, i lost 2 in a row against PAOK, OLYMPIAKOS. After this, i won very easily Man. City in CL 2-0, i have in my group 2 wins against Alkmaar and Man. City and 1 loss against At. Madrid, being 1st in the first round.

I have basic CF G. Simeone who is really decent and as his sub i have loany Gabriel Jesus, where this dude cannot perform at all for me, or he is under-performing according to his stats, he does not play not even close to his OPR. I do not know if it is my playstyle that does not help him, or he is from this category of players that have high stats , but cannot show them in the pitch.

@jihado86 They threaten so much but seem to find a way not to win. They are starting to score regularly now though.

@rockstrongo No problem. Millico on fire! Great performance from Menga too, haven't really noticed him before now!

Game stats from last night's games...

Atalanta continue their impressive start putting 4 past a Porto team that was expected to give them a much harder game than it turned out to be. Atalanta continue to be absolutely ruthless in front of goal. Rinaldi came in for his first appearance of the season and simply stole the show with a sensational performance in midfield! So much so that captain Cortinovis was incredibly not even missed.

porata.JPG

There was a great match in Turin as for the second week running Bayern Munich traded goals with their opponents in another 2-2 draw. Zirkzee seems to be running into some good form which is a danger sign for any opponent. However they continue to ship goals at the other end which means they are still looking for their first win of the season. Torino battled really well and with two goals from the excellent Millico got a well deserved point.

torbay.JPG

Full Table after 5 games

table full.JPG

Sequences

Consecutive Wins
Atalanta 5
Dinamo Zagreb 3

Consecutive Defeats
Marseille 3

Consecutive Games Scored In
Atalanta 5
Dinamo Zagreb 4

Most Clean Sheets
Dinamo Zagreb 4
Lyon 3
Atalanta 2
FC Porto 2
Marseille 2

Consecutive Games without a Clean Sheet
Tottenham 5
Torino 4
Marseille 3
Bayern Munich 3

Consecutive Games without a Draw
Atalanta 5
Lyon 5
Porto 5
Dinamo Zagreb 4
Marseille 3

Consecutive Games without a Win
Tottenham 5
Marseille 5
Bayern Munich 5
Torino 4

Top Scorers
Atalanta 17

Lowest Scorers
Marseille 1

Most Conceded
Bayern Munich 9

Least Conceded
Atalanta 3
Dinamo Zagreb 3
Lyon 3

Biggest Win
FC Porto 0-4 Atalanta

Goals by Week (number of teams who scored)
Wk 1 - 7 (4)
Wk 2 - 13 (6)
Wk 3 - 6 (4)
Wk 4 - 12 (6)
Wk 5 - 10 (5)

Average Goals per Game so far

Last edited:
@jihado86 They threaten so much but seem to find a way not to win. They are starting to score regularly now though.

@rockstrongo No problem. Millico on fire! Great performance from Menga too, haven't really noticed him before now!

Game stats from last night's games...

Atalanta continue their impressive start putting 4 past a Porto team that was expected to give them a much harder game than it turned out to be. Atalanta continue to be absolutely ruthless in front of goal. Rinaldi came in for his first appearance of the season and simply stole the show with a sensational performance in midfield! So much so that captain Cortinovis was incredibly not even missed.

View attachment 18957

There was a great match in Turin as for the second week running Bayern Munich traded goals with their opponents in another 2-2 draw. Zirkzee seems to be running into some good form which is a danger sign for any opponent. However they continue to ship goals at the other end which means they are still looking for their first win of the season. Torino battled really well and with two goals from the excellent Millico got a well deserved point.

View attachment 18953

Full Table after 5 games

View attachment 18958

Sequences

Consecutive Wins
Atalanta 5
Dinamo Zagreb 3

Consecutive Defeats
Marseille 3

Consecutive Games Scored In
Atalanta 5
Dinamo Zagreb 4

Most Clean Sheets
Dinamo Zagreb 4
Lyon 3
Atalanta 2
FC Porto 2
Marseille 2

Consecutive Games without a Clean Sheet
Tottenham 5
Torino 4
Marseille 3
Bayern Munich 3

Consecutive Games without a Draw
Atalanta 5
Lyon 5
Porto 5
Dinamo Zagreb 4
Marseille 3

Consecutive Games without a Win
Tottenham 5
Marseille 5
Bayern Munich 5
Torino 4

Top Scorers
Atalanta 17

Lowest Scorers
Marseille 1

Most Conceded
Bayern Munich 9

Least Conceded
Atalanta 3
Dinamo Zagreb 3
Lyon 3

Biggest Win
FC Porto 0-4 Atalanta

Goals by Week (number of teams who scored)
Wk 1 - 7 (4)
Wk 2 - 13 (6)
Wk 3 - 6 (4)
Wk 4 - 12 (6)
Wk 5 - 10 (5)

Average Goals per Game so far

Rinaldi with a 39! Out of interest, what's the theoretical maximum of your player ratings system?

I'll get ToTW over to you tomorrow, will do what I can with the formation.

In my current 2018 ML, second season, TP, i lost vs At. Madrid 0-1 in CL , then i had the classic PES consequence of League matches that the CPU does not let you win no matter what, i lost 2 in a row against PAOK, OLYMPIAKOS. After this, i won very easily Man. City in CL 2-0, i have in my group 2 wins against Alkmaar and Man. City and 1 loss against At. Madrid, being 1st in the first round.

I have basic CF G. Simeone who is really decent and as his sub i have loany Gabriel Jesus, where this dude cannot perform at all for me, or he is under-performing according to his stats, he does not play not even close to his OPR. I do not know if it is my playstyle that does not help him, or he is from this category of players that have high stats , but cannot show them in the pitch.
For me gabriel jesus is my main man goalscoring machine, and his OPR just risen by 3 to 87 as CF, a must be in my starting 11

For me gabriel jesus is my main man goalscoring machine, and his OPR just risen by 3 to 87 as CF, a must be in my starting 11
Τhis is one of PES mysteries. In the older PES games i never couldn't master Ronaldinho. In the newer versions, i cannot control Messi, i can do very well with a player with similar stats and body-type, like Otavinho (Porto FC), or Piti pre-PES2017 (my personal Messi). Possibly Gabriel Jesus is one of these players.

@sniglet
I just took the top total scored so far by any player in each category and it comes out at 48.41pts. I would say probably around 53 would be an absolute maximum and probably very unlikely unless we get a player hitting 5 goals and 3 assists in a game from midfield.

The median score using every player who's played the full 90 minutes is 22.96, so that's a ballpark average figure for whether your player's had a good or bad game, depending how far over or under that he is (if he played the whole game) So that shows just what sort of game Rinaldi had!

Rinaldi had 2 goals, 22 complete passes, 7 interceptions and 7 shots!

The three lowest 90 minute scores to date are

F.Veira 15.16
Ben Fredj 15.41
Ben Fredj! 15.87

The top five are

Rinaldi 39.33
Kulusevski 34.20
Cortinovis 31.44
Tomaskovic 31.40
Girgi 31.08

Two others, Babbi 30.47 and Gyabuaa 30.29 have broken the 30 barrier so far. Or perhaps it should be called the Atalanta barrier! Tomaskovic in fine company there!

This is how the new Player Of The Season race looks with the new season points used for the whole of the season so far. Not a lot in it at the top

season points.JPG

Golden Boot Race

Despite Baturina drawing a blank this week he still holds on to top spot. Zirkzee, with 3 in 2 games has moved into second spot. Worth noting is that Atalanta have had 7 different scorers!

top scorers.JPG

Interceptions (or "You shall not pass")

Sportelli and Gyabuaa the stand out players here but worth noticing is the back four plus the DM combo of Pavlak/Tomek are compiling an average of almost 29 interceptions per game for Dinamo!

inter.JPG

Team Stats

Bayern are still the pass masters although Lyon are running them close now. FC Porto continue to bring up the rear and do so in 3 other categories as well. Dinamo Zagreb lead interceptions narrowly from Atalanta with Marseille in a close third. If only Marseille's attack could function as well as their defence.

Torino and Dinamo Zagreb battle it out for most bloodied knees given out, with Atalanta also moving into contention with a spate or recent suspensions. Dinamo are cleverly sharing their bookings around. Although if they all get booked in the same game there'll be a few players making debuts in the next one!

Atalanta as you would expect are well in front on shots on target. Marseille at the moment rarely bother the opponent's keeper. Tottenham are miles in front on crosses. If they can start finding someone with them then maybe they can turn their fortunes around. Marseille are bottom of this, which might explain the lack of shots on target too.

team stats.JPG

Selection news for this week

Despite 24 players now sitting on one booking nobody is suspended for this week!

Unavailable with continuing/new injuries

Skipp, Tottenham 6 wks
Bennett, Tottenham 1 wk

Petrungaro, Torino 4 wks

Aouachria, Marseille 1 wk
Ake, Marseille 1 wk

Rodet, Lyon 1 wk

Everyone else fit and available for selection.

Teams by Thursday please. :)

@sniglet
I just took the top total scored so far by any player in each category and it comes out at 48.41pts. I would say probably around 53 would be an absolute maximum and probably very unlikely unless we get a player hitting 5 goals and 3 assists in a game from midfield.

The median score using every player who's played the full 90 minutes is 22.96, so that's a ballpark average figure for whether your player's had a good or bad game, depending how far over or under that he is (if he played the whole game) So that shows just what sort of game Rinaldi had!

Rinaldi had 2 goals, 22 complete passes, 7 interceptions and 7 shots!

The three lowest 90 minute scores to date are

F.Veira 15.16
Ben Fredj 15.41
Ben Fredj! 15.87

The top five are

Rinaldi 39.33
Kulusevski 34.20
Cortinovis 31.44
Tomaskovic 31.40
Girgi 31.08

Two others, Babbi 30.47 and Gyabuaa 30.29 have broken the 30 barrier so far. Or perhaps it should be called the Atalanta barrier! Tomaskovic in fine company there!

Very interesting stuff, thanks for taking the time to type that out!

The next game may be a bit of a war, so I'm not expecting a full complement to choose from after Atalanta.

@sniglet Yeah, given the foul count of the two it could be a bit feisty in midfield. I wonder if we can get Ito in to referee :SHOCK: He hasn't turned up yet.

Oh yes and I meant to say Franjic set a new record for most touches in a game with 62!

Talking of that game I forgot to post this weeks fixtures

The big one is on Friday night (10pm if that works ok for you both)

Saturday sees a bottom of the table clash which could see a first win for Marseille or Tottenham Or will they conspire to draw!?

Meanwhile on Sunday a fully loaded with Twix's Griffiths will take on Ricky's Torino with the bang in form Millico. Afterwards Bayern will look to get their first win on the board against Porto. Given the two teams stats you would not expect Porto to see a lot of the ball in that one. However Bayern keep less clean sheets than the average three year old so we shall see.

fixtures.JPG

@sniglet Yeah, given the foul count of the two it could be a bit feisty in midfield. I wonder if we can get Ito in to referee :SHOCK: He hasn't turned up yet.

Oh yes and I meant to say Franjic set a new record for most touches in a game with 62!

Talking of that game I forgot to post this weeks fixtures

The big one is on Friday night (10pm if that works ok for you both)

Saturday sees a bottom of the table clash which could see a first win for Marseille or Tottenham Or will they conspire to draw!?

Meanwhile on Sunday a fully loaded with Twix's Griffiths will take on Ricky's Torino with the bang in form Millico. Afterwards Bayern will look to get their first win on the board against Porto. Given the two teams stats you would not expect Porto to see a lot of the ball in that one. However Bayern keep less clean sheets than the average three year old so we shall see.

View attachment 18973

Friday should be good for me, I'll confirm soon. 62 touches! I remember you saying it seems like he brought his own ball to the game and the stats certainly show that was true.

Back
Top Bottom