The Retro-PES Corner

Down to the final 8 of WC 06!

We are down to the last 8 - 6 Heavy favourites including the last 2 World Champions France & Brazil who go head to head in an all star clash while the hosts Germany take on a golden generation of Argentinians!

Its nice what u ve done to upgrade the game, but speed is hectic.man, how can u play like this lol

Its nice what u ve done to upgrade the game, but speed is hectic.man, how can u play like this lol
I'm not sure what say to this, It's PES 6 - PS2 era PES, It's always been this speed haha.

PES 6 while slighty faster than PES 5 or PES 3, Still isn't actually as fast with the pad in your hands as it looks in the video. There's still a nicely captured sense of weight and inertia present on these games made on older technology that isn't has pronounced or as respected in later games.

6 is more prone to run faster due to newer hardware and OS compared to 5, weird enough, but it looks alright in the videos.
The turn speed is a bit too fast but that can be said about all the PS2 era titles, the ball speed looks correct especially the high long ones, thats a good indicator.

My ML looks slower but thats with a quite drastic speed reduction in the global stat edit.
The extreme would be the slow OF by smoke or whatever the patch was, it played weird, like the players were bambinis with way less weight but still dragged to the ground, with many more fouls on contact, so it is quite noticable when you edit.

Random question for PES 6 editors - is it possible to edit the appearance of ML youth players (Orellano, Bos, Shimizu etc.) using the in-game editor? If not, is there some magical way of doing this externally?

6 is more prone to run faster due to newer hardware and OS compared to 5, weird enough, but it looks alright in the videos.
The turn speed is a bit too fast but that can be said about all the PS2 era titles, the ball speed looks correct especially the high long ones, thats a good indicator.
Exactly.

Game speed in football games is always a contentious issue, Especially on modern consoles when these games look more realistic than ever yet developers are still constantly blurring the lines between simulation and arcade, this game being too slow or that game being to fast sometimes borders on being subjective, a lot of factors are involved from camera type influencing how fast you interpret something to the screen/device you're watching on.

PES has a history of looking fast yet feeling slower when you have the controller in your hands but to me; The notion of calling these retro games too fast & implying they're unplayable is humorous to me. This wasn't really something i recall being a major talking point or concern of players on boards back in the mid 2000's when we played them. They were universally well received for how well they replicated football for it's limitations, The games weren't about photo realistic reality, They were about interpreting the beautiful game and paying a faithful homage to it in the form of a game.

Random question for PES 6 editors - is it possible to edit the appearance of ML youth players (Orellano, Bos, Shimizu etc.) using the in-game editor? If not, is there some magical way of doing this externally?
In game it is impossible as they are hard-locked. Outside with an editor I think it is possible, @mattmid knows better for sure, the tools needed.
My common fear is, when you mes a lot with hard-codes staff on these games, a random crash may happen during ML.

In game it is impossible as they are hard-locked. Outside with an editor I think it is possible, @mattmid knows better for sure, the tools needed.
My common fear is, when you mes a lot with hard-codes staff on these games, a random crash may happen during ML.

Thanks for the reply. All I really want are the values that are used to create the ML youth player faces (Eye Type = 15, Position = +1, Angle = -2, etc.). If there's some way to just export that info to a spreadsheet then that's enough for what I need. I know @peterc10 has been doing great work on the editor ... perhaps he could provide some expertise?

Exactly.

Game speed in football games is always a contentious issue, Especially on modern consoles when these games look more realistic than ever yet developers are still constantly blurring the lines between simulation and arcade, this game being too slow or that game being to fast sometimes borders on being subjective, a lot of factors are involved from camera type influencing how fast you interpret something to the screen/device you're watching on.

PES has a history of looking fast yet feeling slower when you have the controller in your hands but to me; The notion of calling these retro games too fast & implying they're unplayable is humorous to me. This wasn't really something i recall being a major talking point or concern of players on boards back in the mid 2000's when we played them. They were universally well received for how well they replicated football for it's limitations, The games weren't about photo realistic reality, They were about interpreting the beautiful game and paying a faithful homage to it in the form of a game.

For me, it's the contextual speed of the ball that counts more than anything. See as the ball approaches your right back in PES 2019 and you fill up that power bar to play a first-time through pass diagonally to your left winger- can't happen in any retro PES. No ping pong. Does that prohibit you from going Guardiola, playing through the defence around the 18-yard box? Sometimes. But I'd rather sacrifice that for the challenge of having to build an attack with thought and patience.

Hi Sniglet, i know you can change the appearance of ML default players like Ordaz etc...

Using one of the PES editor’s on PC...
1. Open Option File (the main one that you intend to use)
2. Open Option File 2 (can be any Option File with the face you want to transfer across)
3. In ‘Transfers’ double click the player you want to change. So if you want to change Ordaz you double click him from ML Default Squad.
4. The select, i think, ‘Import’ from the bottom of Ordaz’ stats page.
5. This opens up ‘Option File 2’s’ database. Find the player that you want to paste over Ordaz.
6. Select wether you want to paste just stats, or appearance, or both.
7. Double click the player.
8. Then just change his name back to Ordaz.
9. Save, that should be it.

It definitely works for ML defaults, and i am sure it will work for the youth players. You just need to find them in the database.

Hope that helps :)

Hi Sniglet, i know you can change the appearance of ML default players like Ordaz etc...

2. Open Option File 2 (can be any Option File with the face you want to transfer across)
3. In ‘Transfers’ double click the player you want to change. So if you want to change Ordaz you double click him from ML Default Squad.
5. This opens up ‘Option File 2’s’ database. Find the player that you want to paste over Ordaz.

It definitely works for ML defaults, and i am sure it will work for the youth players. You just need to find them in the database.

I don’t know also if this adds anything to the useful info you gave to @sniglet , but I remember back in the days, I edited some of these type players, specifically I edited the height of Delios the Greek CB who comes with 1,60 height by default and I added CMF to Ioannidis a Greek default who could play only as DMF by default.

It works! Thanks for your help :)

I don’t know also if this adds anything to the useful info you gave to @sniglet , but I remember back in the days, I edited some of these type players, specifically I edited the height of Delios the Greek CB who comes with 1,60 height by default and I added CMF to Ioannidis a Greek default who could play only as DMF by default.

Yes you can definitely change their positions, stats, etc...

When I eventually get round to starting a new ML i will randomly change the ML Defaults age between 16-35. So Ordaz could become a teenager or about to retire. It will hopefully add a new dimension to the game.

It works! Thanks for your help :)

My pleasure :)

@sniglet @geeeeee That's interesting because you cannot change their ability stats through the editor - well you can of course, but what I mean is that they don't 'stick'. When you start a ML they are back to default. That's PES6 at least anyway. Must admit I never tried changing positions, that's interesting that that works.

Also, I can't remember what it was I tried now, but it was something on the youth option file to do with the young ML players and again it wouldn't 'stick'. Can't for the life of me think what I was trying now though.

Here are all the goals of the Champions League 2001 tournament I played with my nephew. Hope you like it.
Nice, That looks like a really cool patch, I'll have to try it though i won't have much nostalgia for the tournament as i didn't start watching football until 2004.

What software did you use for editing, More specifically what did you use to get that animated banner with the goal scorers name at the bottom?

I recommend you to watch old games to get nostalgic. :) One of my hobbies is watching old World Cup games, the best tournament was 1970 for me. I started watching football in 1994.

I used Movavi Video Editor 15 Business in this video. Me and my nephew are trying to play retro PES tournaments and create an alternative football history. We chose our teams and he won with Real Madrid this time.

I am so enjoying Euro 96 patch on PES 6 now - that was my second tournament I watched as a child and it brings so many memories (only second to WC1994, personally).

Not the biggest fan of PES 6 gameplay, but managed to squeeze the best ouf of it I think, applying the same settings I use for WE9LE: slower speed (0.91 in speeder) and -45 for player agility (except GK). Also applying Kingsley's ball physics. Now it's much more playable.

I recommend you to watch old games to get nostalgic. :) One of my hobbies is watching old World Cup games, the best tournament was 1970 for me. I started watching football in 1994.

I used Movavi Video Editor 15 Business in this video. Me and my nephew are trying to play retro PES tournaments and create an alternative football history. We chose our teams and he won with Real Madrid this time.
Oh, I watch old football clips all the time, especially International tournaments even if i didn't through them. The evolution of the presentation and the prestige of those World Cups and Euro's is fascinating.

I used do the same thing with my older brother, Recreating football tournaments playing as all the teams when i was younger, That's the main inspiration for my Retro PES World Cups on my YouTube. It's great to know i wasn't alone in doing this and a lot of classic PES players shared the same vision for entertainment in a Pre Online world. Simpler times.

Enjoy the tournaments with your Nephew, I'm sure they'll be priceless memories when he's older as are mine with my older brother. The best part of all is that your introducing him to a timeless classic from 2 generations ago. Most youngsters would turn their nose up at that because "it's old" and get pack to opening packs on the latest FIFA instead.

I am so enjoying Euro 96 patch on PES 6 now - that was my second tournament I watched as a child and it brings so many memories (only second to WC1994, personally).

Not the biggest fan of PES 6 gameplay, but managed to squeeze the best out of it I think, applying the same settings I use for WE9LE: slower speed (0.91 in speeder) and -45 for player agility (except GK). Also applying Kingsley's ball physics. Now it's much more playable.
I share the same sentiment as you, I think PES 5/WE9:LE are far superior and more grounded in recreating football than PES 6, But it still can't be understated how great and how popular it was and still is.

It really is amazing how different PES 5 & 6 are in terms of philosophy despite being a year apart. It's similar on the surface but it's far from a revision or a slight update, It is it's own entity.

Oh, I watch old football clips all the time, especially International tournaments even if i didn't through them. The evolution of the presentation and the prestige of those World Cups and Euro's is fascinating.

I used do the same thing with my older brother, Recreating football tournaments playing as all the teams when i was younger, That's the main inspiration for my Retro PES World Cups on my YouTube. It's great to know i wasn't alone in doing this and a lot of classic PES players shared the same vision for entertainment in a Pre Online world. Simpler times.

Enjoy the tournaments with your Nephew, I'm sure they'll be priceless memories when he's older as are mine with my older brother. The best part of all is that your introducing him to a timeless classic from 2 generations ago. Most youngsters would turn their nose up at that because "it's old" and get pack to opening packs on the latest FIFA instead.

I share the same sentiment as you, I think PES 5/WE9:LE are far superior and more grounded in recreating football than PES 6, But it still can't be understated how great and how popular it was and still is.

It really is amazing how different PES 5 & 6 are in terms of philosophy despite being a year apart. It's similar on the surface but it's far from a revision or a slight update, It is it's own entity.
Love watching old PL game on YouTube, especially from the 90s.

Premier League? Pah! :D Old First Division is where it's at. Now that's a pitch.

Lovely,look at the shorts,and the pitches!
Grew up with a TV show who televised first division games in the 70's (first game was broadcasted in 69) all live games too.
So cool seeing those games as a little boy

Loving the 2006 WC series. Do you know of a patch that covers USA 94? That was my first WC - would love to recreate it!

When you play a tournament with another person and you divide up the teams, it's difficult to play the group stage because in each group you must play one game against your own team and it really takes a lot of time to finish the tournament. That's why we always play in a knockout system and thanks to that we can finish a tournament in one afternoon, which is good because I don't really that much time to spare.

@sniglet @geeeeee That's interesting because you cannot change their ability stats through the editor - well you can of course, but what I mean is that they don't 'stick'. When you start a ML they are back to default. That's PES6 at least anyway. Must admit I never tried changing positions, that's interesting that that works.

Also, I can't remember what it was I tried now, but it was something on the youth option file to do with the young ML players and again it wouldn't 'stick'. Can't for the life of me think what I was trying now though.

I’m pretty sure that you can change the stats of the ML team in PES5 and 2008 because i globally adjusted the ‘Speed’ stats to slow the game down. But you are right the youth players’ stats are ‘hardwired’ definitely in 2008. After someone on this thread pointed it out I had to scrap the adjustments i was making.

Loving the 2006 WC series. Do you know of a patch that covers USA 94? That was my first WC - would love to recreate it!
There's a history of the World Cup patch that features some of the USA 94 teams & Stadiums but not all of them. I don't know if there's a dedicated patch to the tournament. Maybe @shahruddin3 will make one eventually as good patches have been as authentic as officially licensed games.

Thanks for the kind words on my WC series.

When you play a tournament with another person and you divide up the teams, it's difficult to play the group stage because in each group you must play one game against your own team and it really takes a lot of time to finish the tournament. That's why we always play in a knockout system and thanks to that we can finish a tournament in one afternoon, which is good because I don't really that much time to spare.
Yeah this is exactly what we used to do. You had to sacrifice the team that had the least chance of going through in that case.

I've been playing all group games & knockstages in my WC, It's a marathon at 64 games but it's a memorable journey!

Back
Top Bottom