The Retro-PES Corner

When you play a tournament with another person and you divide up the teams, it's difficult to play the group stage because in each group you must play one game against your own team and it really takes a lot of time to finish the tournament. That's why we always play in a knockout system and thanks to that we can finish a tournament in one afternoon, which is good because I don't really that much time to spare.
I posted in first pages of this topic, how me and my best mate used to play KONAMi cups like Mundial, group and knock out. Each player 16 teams.
During the damn matches between our own teams, we used to make the game 5 minutes, double speed match, both controllers down and nobody is moving until the match ends. There were some home rules, ie in group stage in the first two rounds you could assign two own goals if you wanted to give advantage to one of you two teams.
If it was the third/last round of the group stage, only one own-goal was allowed, because goal difference affects qualifiers etc.
With these it used to take about 12 hours of consecutive playtime, usually we used to play 6 hours the first day and 6 hours the second. It depends on how much teams each user has qualified to the knockout stage.
Of course nowadays, that I am 33 with family, this is impossible!

During the damn matches between our own teams, we used to make the game 5 minutes, double speed match, both controllers down and nobody is moving until the match ends. There were some home rules, ie in group stage in the first two rounds you could assign two own goals if you wanted to give advantage to one of you two teams.

We used to play as the away team in the first half then play as the home team in the second half. Or if a neutral venue just toss a coin for which half.

I think PES 5/WE9:LE are far superior and more grounded in recreating football than PES 6

ehh not sure on this, i had that period too, now im back to the feel that i had on release back then
so lets say it recreates it better (or some aspects better) but i dont think its a better game, the forced sidesteps, the crappy through balls, the passive AI, the ref is not balanced at all and thats the stuff that comes to mind first only

it plays like big club with lots of possession vs small club that has their pants full, pretty much all the time no matter what :LOL:
i think even pes 4 has it more balanced which would make 5 the most unbalanced of the bunch

I never ever play against the CPU, only when I'm practicing for the real thing (aka. upcoming RL tournament with my cousins or nephew :D )

For me PES 5 is better because of great defensive 1v1 play. Ever since PES 6 I can't play the damn defense 1v1.

I posted in first pages of this topic, how me and my best mate used to play KONAMi cups like Mundial, group and knock out. Each player 16 teams.
During the damn matches between our own teams, we used to make the game 5 minutes, double speed match, both controllers down and nobody is moving until the match ends.

That's actually an excellent idea! I wonder how I never thought about this. :D

The problem with group games for me (apart from time) is that two thirds of the tournament consist of less competitive matches and then suddenly the sudden death starts and it lasts for such a short time. It is different when you watch a World Cup - you choose which games to see and most people follow a few teams, not all of them. When you play it you must play every single game, even ones that aren't so interesting to you, or ones that don't have any impact on the tournament (for example, when your team has no chances to advance). Playing everything in a knock-out system is more satisfying for me because it's very exciting from the first moment to the last. Of course, in real life, teams are granted at least three games and I can understand why.

World Youth League Week 6

Atalanta (5-0-0, 1st) v Dinamo Zagreb (3-1-1, 3rd)

Premiere at 10.00pm tonight (uk)

Unbeaten Atalanta look to make it six in a row but face what could be one of their hardest games yet against Dinamo Zagreb, who themselves have been in fine form.

Last edited:
We used to play as the away team in the first half then play as the home team in the second half. Or if a neutral venue just toss a coin for which half.
@Meazza84 i will post latter about the pros and cons of group stage tournament, cause now i am driving to catch up the supermarket to buy for the house. :D

@mattmid our home rules system was built up after different stages as we played tourneys from 2004 to 2014.First of all since the beginning my and our most important concern, was to create a system as fair as possible for everyone . In the beginning about these games Own team VS Own team, we all agreed in our group that KONAMI should have included a SIM option, so these matches would be SIMed instantly and solve the problem for ever.And save our time.
So in the first year we started playing every match. In a game like this P1team1vsP1team2, P1 used to pick his favourite team and "force" P2 to play the other team. As you can imagine this created problems and arguments as the player 2 could take advantage, playing biased, or lacking motivation, or injuring players intentionally, taking red cards etc. We had a final like this ending 9-0 in Pes4 due to lack of interest. So we abandoned this.
Then we went to your solution P1vsCPU with different variations. To keep it short this, and CPUvsCPU system was rejected, cause in addition to the objections from some players about scripting, stupid AI decisions,etc, we had the ethical question: does this method showcase the best player in the tournament or is it based a lot on luck? Cause a cpuVScpu includes much machine intervention, so we tried to find a way to exclude the CPU factor and keep the human factor as much as possible. Even in a group stage wgere it is 1 game from 3, it is still the 33% of the group stage. In knockouts it is more serious . Imagine riching the final with two of your teams and winning the cup against CPU. It is boring for the others and unrewarding to you.
And finally one day in PES6 by accident, we started a match like this having forgotten the 5minutes duration. As we were bored and tired we decided to not restart and we just let bith controllers dowm and let the game pass. And there the final mechanism was born. P1vsP2, 5minutes,double speed, no one does inputs, only the first own goals (if needed). During the time we imoroved it by finding the balance on how much own goals are allowed to keep a balance among Human/Cpu/random luck/tournament objective and let the player do some squad rotation and rest the (digital) football-players. It helped also us, cause as boring as it is as a process, it helps you (the human player) take a breath and calm down for the next up-coming " battles "
But i still believe a simple SIM like the old FM engine would be the best solution.

Last edited:
@geeeeee AhI think that was what I was trying to do on the youth file that wouldn't work.

Yeh it is a pain. I’m in the process now of doing a complete new option file but without any of the classic players and teams unlocked. I am hoping that this makes for a more realistic experience and that those youth players don’t gradually appear in the game.

I think i am addicted to editing :P

A question that i have been meaning to ask for a while. Have any of you experienced the occasional team emblems appearing fuzzy in game after going from Pesfan editor to PS2? This is something that does not happen straight away and not all the time but it does happen. For example i edited Hull City a couple of weeks ago using pesfan editor and imported the emblem from a previous option file. I have edited many teams since but then i noticed their emblem was fuzzy. So i deleted the emblem and reimported (is that a word) it back and it is fine. But i know it will happen to another emblem in the coming weeks.

Any ideas?

The problem with group games for me (apart from time) is that two thirds of the tournament consist of less competitive matches and then suddenly the sudden death starts and it lasts for such a short time. It is different when you watch a World Cup - you choose which games to see and most people follow a few teams, not all of them. When you play it you must play every single game, even ones that aren't so interesting to you, or ones that don't have any impact on the tournament (for example, when your team has no chances to advance). Playing everything in a knock-out system is more satisfying for me because it's very exciting from the first moment to the last. Of course, in real life, teams are granted at least three games and I can understand why.

One thing that me and my brother do when we play a group competition is make the third place a qualifying place for the next competition we play. So the team that finishes bottom are out of the next comp regardless of who it is.

It keeps the excitement going in those 3rd v 4th placed matches when both teams cannot make it into the top 2.

Yeh it is a pain. I’m in the process now of doing a complete new option file but without any of the classic players and teams unlocked. I am hoping that this makes for a more realistic experience and that those youth players don’t gradually appear in the game.

I think i am addicted to editing :P

A question that i have been meaning to ask for a while. Have any of you experienced the occasional team emblems appearing fuzzy in game after going from Pesfan editor to PS2? This is something that does not happen straight away and not all the time but it does happen. For example i edited Hull City a couple of weeks ago using pesfan editor and imported the emblem from a previous option file. I have edited many teams since but then i noticed their emblem was fuzzy. So i deleted the emblem and reimported (is that a word) it back and it is fine. But i know it will happen to another emblem in the coming weeks.

Any ideas?

One thing that me and my brother do when we play a group competition is make the third place a qualifying place for the next competition we play. So the team that finishes bottom are out of the next comp regardless of who it is.

It keeps the excitement going in those 3rd v 4th placed matches when both teams cannot make it into the top 2.
I had a similar issue on PC in pes6 I was importing team emblems to the OF and each time the emblem of PANATHINAIKOS used to become pixelated by itself while it was clear pre import.
When i exported it back to desktop to examine it, it was still pixilated for some reason!! I pasted it side by side to the one i created ,which was technically the same file, but they were different, one clear, other pixelated.
The biggest mystery was that although all emblems had the same size and details, it didn't happen to all emblems but only on few of them!

Last edited:
I had a similar issue on PC in pes6 I was importing team emblems to the OF and each time the emblem of PANATHINAIKOS used to become pixelated by itself while it was clear pre import.
When i exported it back to desktop to examine it, it was still pixilated for some reason!! I pasted it side by side to the one i created ,which was technically the same file, but they were different, one clear one pixelated.
The biggest mystery was that although all emblems had the same size and details, it didn't happen to all emblems but only on few of them!

Yeh it’s strange. I’m sure it even happens when everything is imported to the PS2 and to begin with it is fine but after saving the game and loading it again eventually one of them becomes, like you said, pixilated. It used to happen to Arsenal quite a lot. It kind of reminds me of when you clean the car and then you get one of those dust clouds from the desert coming over europe to ruin it. It can still be used but its irritating when you see it :P

@wildwind @mattmid

Disappointing result for Dinamo last night. I felt like the game was close all the way through although, as usual, Atalanta were so clinical and without Baturina scoring worldies we don’t generally look like scoring. Once they had the first goal it was always going to be difficult and I wasn’t surprised when they scored a second at the end.

We really need to work on creating easier chances for our attacking players! Goal of the season contenders are all well and good but a few simple goals wouldn’t go amiss.

@wildwind @mattmid

Disappointing result for Dinamo last night. I felt like the game was close all the way through although, as usual, Atalanta were so clinical and without Baturina scoring worldies we don’t generally look like scoring. Once they had the first goal it was always going to be difficult and I wasn’t surprised when they scored a second at the end.

We really need to work on creating easier chances for our attacking players! Goal of the season contenders are all well and good but a few simple goals wouldn’t go amiss.

I thought it was a really tight game, Dinamo gave them very few chances but as usual a couple of clinical finishes and it's game over. Let's not forget their defence is as good as any as well, so once you were one down... I did wonder with that Resetar chance late on though, if that had fallen to Baturina maybe he'd have buried that and then with the kick off etc you might have just seen it out for the draw. By far the hardest game they've had so far though. That Dinamo back line are so quick to get to loose balls and strong in the air as well. Pavlak had 10 interceptions! But that late injury he got where he had to play on has resulted in him being injured for 3 weeks!

It kind of reminds me of when you clean the car and then you get one of those dust clouds from the desert coming over europe to ruin it. It can still be used but its irritating when you see it :P

Every time it rains now my car seems to be covered in sand/dust!

That's strange about the emblems! I only use PC but I can't recall it happening before but perhaps I've just never noticed.

I thought it was a really tight game, Dinamo gave them very few chances but as usual a couple of clinical finishes and it's game over. Let's not forget their defence is as good as any as well, so once you were one down... I did wonder with that Resetar chance late on though, if that had fallen to Baturina maybe he'd have buried that and then with the kick off etc you might have just seen it out for the draw. By far the hardest game they've had so far though. That Dinamo back line are so quick to get to loose balls and strong in the air as well. Pavlak had 10 interceptions! But that late injury he got where he had to play on has resulted in him being injured for 3 weeks!

Every time it rains now my car seems to be covered in sand/dust!

That's strange about the emblems! I only use PC but I can't recall it happening before but perhaps I've just never noticed.

Nooo, 3 weeks?! And yeah, I internally screamed when that late chance when just high and wide ...

Overall I was pleased enough with how we played against such a good team.

60 games later & there's just 4 games left. Here's the Semi finals & 3rd Place Play Off of my WC 06 Series.

Sweden have exceeded expectations byreaching the final four, They take on former World Champions France meanwhile Italy have been unstoppable but they'll take on a German side of which have been unpredictable, With the entire nation behind them in Munich.

That's definitively the toughness game ever. This defensive wall is very organised as facing Big Sam's Bolton. I don't think we can build up anything until we manage to score just before half time. I think you are unlucky on injury. Your star Marin get injury very early.

AI substitution make a very good choice. Normally Da Riva come in and will play on CM, then Kulu to move up to play LW. But this time Da Riva come in and play LW and Kulu keep on CM. At the end, he give his first assist to finish the game.

That's definitively the toughness game ever. This defensive wall is very organised as facing Big Sam's Bolton. I don't think we can build up anything until we manage to score just before half time. I think you are unlucky on injury. Your star Marin get injury very early.

AI substitution make a very good choice. Normally Da Riva come in and will play on CM, then Kulu to move up to play LW. But this time Da Riva come in and play LW and Kulu keep on CM. At the end, he give his first assist to finish the game.

Yes that's a good point. I thought to myself early on when Marin did a couple of dangerous things, ah he's finally on his game here today and then within a few minutes he was off injured (only 1 week for him by the way @sniglet)

Yeah I've been impressed with the AI subs on the whole. After the half way point I'm going to do a global increase of 5 stamina on SB and WB (registered positions only) as pes6 does seem to hit those hardest and they do account for quite a portion of the non tactical/injury subs in the league so far as they run out of energy quickest.

By the way I hadn't forgotten about a game tonight but I'm having a problem with the spurs v marseille video, keeping getting a corrupt error on it. Will try and grab some highlights out of it tomorrow at least. The final two games will be 9:30 and 10:00 tomorrow evening.

Random rant.

Was doing some casual game on Pes 2014. I wonder who the heck edited the stats on the base game! It's almost impossible to find a team without a good number of more than 75 overall players.. nor China national team, nor AFC Champions League ones.. the only way to try a really bad team is to start a ML with the defaults.. meh.

Other than that, nothing to say, for how meagre and bare bones is it, this game is always a pleasure to visit for so many reasons.. would have been a wonderful base, too bad Konami never believed in this game in any possible way.

Playing PES 3 last night (WE7) and even with the limited animations, directions etc, something about these older games just feel right - and thats all done to player individuality, getting the right player on the ball for the killer pass, or having the right striker in a good position to shoot etc...all simple stuff but executed perfectly. And the AI pressed very well and still offers a good challenge.

Hope PES 2020 can go someway to getting back to this philosophy.

I loved ML back in the day when you would sit through the stats of transfer targets thinking of the impact they would have on improving your squad.

Last edited:
Playing PES 3 last night (WE5) and even with the limited animations, directions etc, something about these older games just feel right - and thats all done to player individuality, getting the right player on the ball for the killer pass, or having the right striker in a good position to shoot etc...all simple stuff but executed perfectly. And the AI pressed very well and still offers a good challenge.

Hope PES 2020 can go someway to getting back to this philosophy.

I loved ML back in the day when you would sit through the stats of transfer targets thinking of the impact they would have on improving your squad.

Have we got a new member in the PES 3 club? For a few - myself included - it's the pick of the PS2 era.

Although is it not WE 7?

This is my first full season as a patched up retro PESser and I'm still unaccustomed to the wild wider world of patching. Perhaps our more seasoned members could tell me:

1. When can we expect a 2019/2020 patch?

2. Will it likely be in the form of PES 6? PES 5? Both? Others?

3. Is it likely to include myriad African/Asia/South American teams? I love that PES and indeed football is a global language but, for me, the more European the patch/OF the better!

Back
Top Bottom