The Retro-PES Corner

I finished my fourth season in the top flight with Sao Paulo. Although I didn't slip up too many times this year and only lost a single game (1-0 to Rhone), I nevertheless finished four points behind Barca, who won the league for the first time since 2006, drawing fewer games than me and losing only once (to me!). The league top scorer was Morientes of Atletico Madrid with 18. Madrid achieved their best league finish so far, 3rd, though they were a long way behind me, ten points or more. Also in the top six were Valencia, Rhone and PSG.

I did win the D1 cup though; having knocked out Barca at the quarter-final stage I went on to trounce Rhone in a surprisingly one-sided final, 6-0. I wasn't on great form and had drawn and lost against them in the league. Romario scored twice in this drubbing, making him the highest scorer with 5.

In the European Cup, I knocked Man Utd out at the QF stage with a single penalty in the first leg, much less exciting than our encounter in 2008. In the semis though I lost to Real Madrid; the first leg ended 3-1 at home, with Maradona hitting the woodwork three times before eventually getting a late goal. I had thrown away just such an advantage the previous season against Man Utd, and so it proved again as a Maradona hat trick and a Gravesen header resulted in a 4-0 defeat in Spain. Maradona scored a penalty and a free kick, both justly given by the ref, and the free kick was an absolute stormer. They went on to be defeated by AC Milan in the final, however. The Uefa Cup was won by Inter against Liverpool. Top scorer in the EC was Maradona with 6, and in the UEFA it was Nonda of Roma with 3 (they went out at the semi stage to Liverpool).

League A was won by AC Milan ahead of Man Utd. League B was won by PSV ahead of Bayern, and League D (I am in C) by Juve ahead of Real Madrid. The corresponding domestic cups were won by Chelsea, Bayern and Inter. League A is predominately English clubs, B and C are a mixture of all sorts of Europeans, and D is mainly Italians.

Despite me not having quite as good a season as last, I still performed quite well, and ended the season playing some decent football. I again set a new record number of goals scored for my team, with 66 this year. The title went down to the last game, and at half time things were looking very hopeful- Atletico were holding Barca 1-1 in Madrid, and I was 1-0 up against PSG after an early goal by Vélber. That would have won me the title on goal difference! But alas, Barca won in the end, and in any case I conceded a late goal when a cross was powerfully volleyed in by Bueno. Not bueno for me! I only conceded 11 goals all season, but there were a few games when I felt I had performed weakly, creating next to nothing and losing to struggling teams. Despite scoring more goals than ever, my main forwards (Marcio Amoroso and Grafite) didn't score as many as in previous years, Amoroso only achieving 11 and Grafite 6. Castolo only had two in the league and I think they were both penalties, though he had some good games. There was a broad smattering of goals through much of the side though, and my right back Cicinho scored 8, mainly from free kicks.

FC Utrecht went down this year having survived their maiden season in 2008. PES Utd joined them; early in the year they had seemed to be faring reasonably well in lower midtable, and it was their fellow promotees Sporting Lisbon who were at the bottom, but this pattern reversed itself over the last third of the campaign, and PES narrowly went down. Coming up to replace them are Aquitaine and Charlton Athletic.

Hey I'm curious to know how you actually made the leagues, like which team is in every league xd

By the way if you're interested, Rhone = Lyon

Aha, Lyon, thanks for the info. I had been too lazy to check, but wanted to get around to it. When creating a new ML in PES 5, you can edit the composition of each league IF you have unlocked the ability to do so in the 'PES Shop'. Until then, you are at the mercy of what the game gives you.

Aha, Lyon, thanks for the info. I had been too lazy to check, but wanted to get around to it. When creating a new ML in PES 5, you can edit the composition of each league IF you have unlocked the ability to do so in the 'PES Shop'. Until then, you are at the mercy of what the game gives you.

Yep I thought so after you said that like Real Madrid and Inter were in the same league, but what I meant is that I was curious to know which teams did you put in every league xd

Match Day 15 Fulham (10th) v Southend (13th).

Bottom of the table looks like this as we approach the midway point of the season.

12. Everton 13
13. Southend 12
14. Southampton 10
15. Leeds 9
16. Norwich 6

Going no where in this one until The Sargent steps up and saves us yet again (after I switched him to the left).

Guys, is there a good PES 3 or PES 4 patch with 2003-04 Champions league in it?

Maybe @MadbaLL knows?

to be honest, all i know is that best patches for pes 3 and pes 4/we8i are "pes world patch 2003-2004" and "vuelta del lobo". i don't think anyone bothered to make specific CL patch only back then. it was begining of pes pc modding :)

this is the closest to CL patch that i know: https://www.gamefront.com/games/pro-evolution-soccer-3/file/the-wolf-epl-cl-final-pes3-pc-patch

Yep I thought so after you said that like Real Madrid and Inter were in the same league, but what I meant is that I was curious to know which teams did you put in every league xd

Aha! I will try and take screenshots, I can't remember offhand. I can give you my own division right now:

Barcelona
Valencia
Atletico Madrid
PSG
Rhone/Lyon
Marseilles
FC Porto
Sporting Lisbon
Charlton Athletic
Aquitaine/Bordeaux
Borussia Dortmund
Sao Paolo (me!)
Fiorentina
Dynamo Kiev
Galatasaray
Monaco

@geeeeee; Sargent makes finishing look so easy!

Last edited:
kind of peaked too early on my norwich pes 4 ml, the second d1 season came to an end with a triple, got the double the season after with a loss vs arsenal in the cl final, now mid season and already looking for the next challenge, not sure what to do next, maybe go pes 5 on 10 min, more compact and harder to score, pobably more draws and hope for teams in the leagues that go on a run, sort of a different approach :THINK:

kind of peaked too early on my norwich pes 4 ml, the second d1 season came to an end with a triple, got the double the season after with a loss vs arsenal in the cl final, now mid season and already looking for the next challenge, not sure what to do next, maybe go pes 5 on 10 min, more compact and harder to score, pobably more draws and hope for teams in the leagues that go on a run, sort of a different approach :THINK:

Happened the same to me in my created club ML in PES 6, started in the second division and got instantly promoted, then in the first season in d1 I got the league+cup double (I remember even beating PSG 6-0 at the Parc des Princes in the last game of the season which I needed to win to win the league and I did it with style!), and in the third and final season I had already won the CL although the final was one of the toughest matches I've ever played, drawing 0-0 to Inter and winning 8-7 on penalties. After that I was already debuting in the CL group stages in the 2009 season when I got bored of it and decided to delete it.

I had made a f*ing destructive team within three seasons with the likes of: Birsa our captain and all-time goalscorer, Okaka, Ben-Hatira who was a dude from Hamburg that was introduced to the game thanks to the option file I had so I guess the creator wanted to make Ben-Hatira a beast since from all of my players he was the one with the best stats. Then I had Agüero, Ribery, Maxwell, Podolski who I signed in the 2009 season so I didn't play him much because some games after signing him I would delete the ML. I even had Oliver Kahn's regen but he still was not good enough so my main GK choice was someone from the same country as me: Hector Fabián Carini.

I agree with you when talking about PES 5, perhaps I don't like it that much because I haven't played it properly, since I always started a ML hoping it would be the same as PES 6 and when I saw it wasn't, I would get frustrated and delete the game. But, I think I could give that game another chance and play it more properly xd

i find it hard to keep and stay on a role-play because at some point it goes over the edge and becomes unrealistic and i rather play how a manager would in that situation and get immersed like that, instead of stick to some plan like not buy this or do not that and lose the immersion, not hard to find a balance there

ps here is my squad as of now 5th 6th season (forgot the first d2 no promotion one)

00.jpg
+ rommedahl and idrissou.

carini, barzagli, sneijder and torres are transfers going into the current 6th season, i think this is a reasonable squad and not too much, after all i got second on my first d1 season, what you guys think?

Last edited:

What about playing as one particular player each season? That might make it more of a challenge.

hm nah i dont think so, maybe one player for the whole career but then id rather play that on bal mode some later title

Here in this thread I've read a lot of great ideas and restrictions to follow in purpose of keeping the challenge in ML.
Personally, what I do is not buy any well-know star player (those with all 80'-90' stats), limit the maximum wage for new players, sign old players with declining progress curve or young players with low stats to develope. Also when the average ability in the player development sheet (jlwe-2008 and pes2008) exceeds some value (let's say 80) maybe It's a good moment to sell or trade it.
And for selling a player, if it's not vital for the team and the buyer it's above in the club ranking and pay the same value or more, then I take the deal.
There are a lot of things to try with some self control.

Anyway I'm starting another ML with @geeeeee's OF for PES 2008 with Wycombe Wanderers, one of the weakest teams of the EFL championship that I think I used to play back then in CM 01/02. So I have call the Default fellas to chase glory or get doom and oblivion for the team. Time will tell.
:))

Alright, I must say after playing PES 5 all day I can finally see its charm.

Since this game is so f*ing hard it feels even more rewarding whenever you win something, and I felt it today after winning a Konami Cup with Valencia. Not that much of an achievement but it still felt good.

I think the best thing I can do is start a ML in this game and give it another shot, without having too many hopes up like I did in PES 6.

Anyway I'm starting another ML with @geeeeee's OF for PES 2008 with Wycombe Wanderers, one of the weakest teams of the EFL championship that I think I used to play back then in CM 01/02. So I have call the Default fellas to chase glory or get doom and oblivion for the team. Time will tell.

If you want it realistic then to play as Wycombe you need to waste time at any opportunity, no match should finish until at least 98 minutes is on the clock. If the other team is creating a bit of momentum instruct one of your players to go down feigning injury to stop that in its track. :D

I think @geeeeee 's transfer 'rules' are a great way to keep the challenge going.

@geeeeee Sargent well on the way to becoming a Southend Legend!

He certainly is, along with Stan Collymore :)

Here in this thread I've read a lot of great ideas and restrictions to follow in purpose of keeping the challenge in ML.
Personally, what I do is not buy any well-know star player (those with all 80'-90' stats), limit the maximum wage for new players, sign old players with declining progress curve or young players with low stats to develope. Also when the average ability in the player development sheet (jlwe-2008 and pes2008) exceeds some value (let's say 80) maybe It's a good moment to sell or trade it.
And for selling a player, if it's not vital for the team and the buyer it's above in the club ranking and pay the same value or more, then I take the deal.
There are a lot of things to try with some self control.

Good to hear you are giving it a go. I am glad you were able to locate them in the file :P

Let us know how you get on? It would be good to see how Akinfenwa plays.

Another thing I do with my scouting for transfers to keep it more realistic is use the ’Comparison’ feature and pick players that are no more than 5 points above my player‘s most important stats for the position he plays.

For example say i am after a CB.

I set up a comparison with my best CB.

The stats i compare with other players are his...

Defence
Balance
Header
Jump

I go to Advance Search and set each of those stats at between...

‘equal‘ to ‘+5’

for example his Defence is 70 so i set it at 70-75.

and then I choose from the players that show up in the list. That way you are only improving the squad gradually.

Not sure what to do if it ever gets to the stage where I want to replace a world class player who is about to retire. Maybe do -5 to equal or something like that.

Hope that is not too confusing. :P

If you want it realistic then to play as Wycombe you need to waste time at any opportunity, no match should finish until at least 98 minutes is on the clock. If the other team is creating a bit of momentum instruct one of your players to go down feigning injury to stop that in its track. :D

I think @geeeeee 's transfer 'rules' are a great way to keep the challenge going.
He certainly is, along with Stan Collymore :)

Good to hear you are giving it a go. I am glad you were able to locate them in the file :P

Let us know how you get on? It would be good to see how Akinfenwa plays.

Another thing I do with my scouting for transfers to keep it more realistic is use the ’Comparison’ feature and pick players that are no more than 5 points above my player‘s most important stats for the position he plays.

For example say i am after a CB.

I set up a comparison with my best CB.

The stats i compare with other players are his...

Defence
Balance
Header
Jump

I go to Advance Search and set each of those stats at between...

‘equal‘ to ‘+5’

for example his Defence is 70 so i set it at 70-75.

and then I choose from the players that show up in the list. That way you are only improving the squad gradually.

Not sure what to do if it ever gets to the stage where I want to replace a world class player who is about to retire. Maybe do -5 to equal or something like that.

Hope that is not too confusing. :P

Interesting rules for transfers, anything that prevents us humans from quickly forming a super team is welcome.

So I chose Wycombe because they are currently the last team in EFL, but I have to do some research and sign some of their emblem players and maybe see some real life matches to avoid playing like them. :D

So I chose Wycombe because they are currently the last team in EFL, but I have to do some research and sign some of their emblem players and maybe see some real life matches to avoid playing like them.

I've seen their current 'style' live about 10 times playing against my team and I wouldn't recommend viewing their matches for entertainment purposes :)) It's funny though because it is a nice well run club and a nice set up. It's a friendly atmosphere at their ground and they are generally a smaller team doing really well. It's just on the pitch they're horrible to watch and play against. It works though so fair play to them!

Still having a great ML on PS2 PES 2008 but I've knocked the match time down from 15 to 10 minutes as I was creating too many chances. I've also implemented a 700point wage cap (down from 999) which means I'll be losing a few star players at the end of my current season. Keeps things interesting.

I've seen their current 'style' live about 10 times playing against my team and I wouldn't recommend viewing their matches for entertainment purposes :)) It's funny though because it is a nice well run club and a nice set up. It's a friendly atmosphere at their ground and they are generally a smaller team doing really well. It's just on the pitch they're horrible to watch and play against. It works though so fair play to them!

I thought you was talking about Spurs to begin with until you went on to say “its a nice well run club” :LOL:

I think the best thing I can do is start a ML in this game and give it another shot

i do the same here but in we9le with the WEplayWE OF by viktoristus, its sort of made for realistic ML experience, some of the "quality of life" improvements are staggering compared to pes 4 which makes me sad :D, like:
- do not need to map d-pad directions to analog stick to feel good with it it
- r2 shot
- let ball through and chase (hold sprint)
- can change radar colors
- can put (space) on cursor name so its empty
- camera tool
- agility stat reduction gets applied in ML
and many more

played some friendlies on default 3* 10 min to get the grips and its super hard to score, i forgot on which diff. i played the last time, probably 4*

i tried to edit my post and give him a shout additonally to mention with the @ function but he is not here anymore, probably got banned knowing the admins here :D

i do the same here but in we9le with the WEplayWE OF by viktoristus, its sort of made for realistic ML experience, some of the "quality of life" improvements are staggering compared to pes 4 which makes me sad :D, like:
- do not need to map d-pad directions to analog stick to feel good with it it
- r2 shot
- let ball through and chase (hold sprint)
- can change radar colors
- can put (space) on cursor name so its empty
- camera tool
- agility stat reduction gets applied in ML
and many more

played some friendlies on default 3* 10 min to get the grips and its super hard to score, i forgot on which diff. i played the last time, probably 4*

Hey, I am interested on that OF! If you have the chance could you send the link pls?

played friendlies for a few hours testing the difficulties, 3* is a bit easy to press, 6* leaves a bit too much space on the counter atleast the offensive teams, 4* and 5* are close, the latter i think a bit more defensive and agressive in tackling so ill go with that

Back
Top Bottom