The Retro-PES Corner

PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU PROCEED TO THE VIDEOS:

Hi guys ! Been a while but i've been lurking once in a while to see what you gents been doing. Haven't really been able to follow the series some of you have been putting out but its an amazing feeling to see something that i dearly love, ie retro PES and the retro pes corner, alive and kicking well. Long live RPC.

Now to the point, been playing pes 5 and 6 (mostly 6) on and off and for the past few years, i've been collecting saves on my save files. The videos for today are mostly goalie saves.

Info: The videos i'm about to put out have a flow to it with few written commentaries, its important that you click on them as they proceed. These are some of the finest goalie saves i've managed to capture throughout the years. I don't think you can find one with same quality even on YouTube (i've looked into it) or seen anywhere else (except if ive missed here ofcourse), defo not your run of the mill stuffs. There are saves, double saves, TRIPLE saves, reflex saves and blunder saves from your world class to the newbie goalies. So without further ado, lets begin:

1. The appetizer:

Commentary: 175cm Borges (which most of you recognize already) is one of the technically gifted goalies ingame (which you will see a lot of) here with a hopeless fling that is successfully blocked by (which i think is Ruskin), lucky enough to collect up the pieces. What's impressive is his lower body strength, the way in which he is able to launch himself for the initial attempt. He never skipped leg day i guess.

2. Double:

Commentary: The speed at which he is able to recover his wall side AND to make a double handed save (which suggests he wanted to catch it) is world class. In addition, the speed to be able to get up after lying flat on his back shows his incredible core strength. The second save shows his true genius (final replay). He is covering his near side with he left leg, while trying to cover his far side with his hands. With a bit of luck and a whole lot of heart, he makes a truly world class save.

3. Triple magnum opus (multiple angles):

Commentary: European night, one of the top teams in the world vs a 1st time team mostly with Jaric and Ruskins. Their fans ? Mostly middle class workers VS one of the biggest clubs in the world. But they've got Borges. The less said about this save the better. Just enjoy.

4. Hand of god:

Commentary: Who said hands can only be used to score goals ? If you notice, he adjusts his left hand mid flight to keep the ball out. The eye hand coordination is catlike.

Now now, before you accuse me of using only worldclass goalies in my games, here LOTHAR, another goalie with average height (yet taller than me :P) with the finest save of his career.

5. LOTHAR magic:

Commentary: A great team display by Streamer to cover his goalie, followed by a comedic clearance, all in all, total panic, but Lothar shows great tenacity to show he can hold out on his own. Displays like these instill confidence in the defense.

6. Ivarov the Borges fan:

Commentary: This guy is a bit of a meme in my club, and fans have been fully on board with it. But they know he is one of their own. He is a fan of the club himself, and a fan of Borges. He dreams of becoming like him someday. Here, he comes for the ball full of confidence, but spills it regardless, young and reckless. He thinks about going back to cover his line (ass more-like), but makes an instant judgement to punch it sideways. A good decision nonetheless- ''You'll get there someday, Ivarov'', says club legend Borges.

7. The future:

Commentary: ''Above is the reason why Ivarov is the future,'' club CEO says. So far, he has shown great potential, he has got the reflex to be the number one. All he needs to work on is his decision making and handling.

And so concludes this little episode of saves. I hope you enjoyed watching and reading this as much as i did creating it. This is me giving back to one of the community/games i dearly love. Very few games give me same joy and fun than PES does. I play ultimate team weekly and finish at least gold 2, but that game is just there to scratch my footy itch. Nothing comes close to my beloved pes, and will always have special place in my heart.

Thank you.

Last edited:
PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU PROCEED TO THE VIDEOS:

Hi guys ! Been a while but i've been lurking once in a while to see what you gents been doing. Haven't really been able to follow the series some of you have been putting out but its an amazing feeling to see something that i dearly love, ie retro PES and the retro pes corner, alive and kicking well. Long live RPC.

Now to the point, been playing pes 5 and 6 (mostly 6) on and off and for the past few years, i've been collecting saves on my save files. The videos for today are mostly goalie saves.

Info: The videos i'm about to put out have a flow to it with few written commentaries, its important that you click on them as they proceed. These are some of the finest goalie saves i've managed to capture throughout the years. I don't think you can find one with same quality even on YouTube (i've looked into it) or seen anywhere else (except if ive missed here ofcourse), defo not your run of the mill stuffs. There are saves, double saves, TRIPLE saves, reflex saves and blunder saves from your world class to the newbie goalies. So without further ado, lets begin:

1. The appetizer:

Commentary: 175cm Borges (which most of you recognize already) is one of the technically gifted goalies ingame (which you will see a lot of) here with a hopeless fling that is successfully blocked by (which i think is Ruskin), lucky enough to collect up the pieces. What's impressive is his lower body strength, the way in which he is able to launch himself for the initial attempt. He never skipped leg day i guess.

2. Double:

Commentary: The speed at which he is able to recover his wall side AND to make a double handed save (which suggests he wanted to catch it) is world class. In addition, the speed to be able to get up after lying flat on his back shows his incredible core strength. The second save shows his true genius (final replay). He is covering his near side with he left leg, while trying to cover his far side with his hands. With a bit of luck and a whole lot of heart, he makes a truly world class save.

3. Triple magnum opus (multiple angles):

Commentary: European night, one of the top teams in the world vs a 1st time team mostly with Jaric and Ruskins. Their fans ? Mostly middle class workers VS one of the biggest clubs in the world. But they've got Borges. The less said about this save the better. Just enjoy.

4. Hand of god:

Commentary: Who said hands can only be used to score goals ? If you notice, he adjusts his left hand mid flight to keep the ball out. The eye hand coordination is catlike.

Now now, before you accuse me of using only worldclass goalies in my games, here LOTHAR, another goalie with average height (yet taller than me :P) with the finest save of his career.

5. LOTHAR magic:

Commentary: A great team display by Streamer to cover his goalie, followed by a comedic clearance, all in all, total panic, but Lothar shows great tenacity to show he can hold out on his own. Displays like these instill confidence in the defense.

6. Ivarov the Borges fan:

Commentary: This guy is a bit of a meme in my club, and fans have been fully on board with it. But they know he is one of their own. He is a fan of the club himself, and a fan of Borges. He dreams of becoming like him someday. Here, he comes for the ball full of confidence, but spills it regardless, young and reckless. He thinks about going back to cover his line (ass more-like), but makes an instant judgement to punch it sideways. A good decision nonetheless- ''You'll get there someday, Ivarov'', says club legend Borges.

7. The future:

Commentary: ''Above is the reason why Ivarov is the future,'' club CEO says. So far, he has shown great potential, he has got the reflex to be the number one. All he needs to work on is his decision making and handling.

And so concludes this little episode of saves. I hope you enjoyed watching and reading this as much as i did creating it. This is me giving back to one of the community/games i dearly love. Very few games give me same joy and fun than PES does. I play ultimate team weekly and finish at least gold 2, but that game is just there to scratch my footy itch. Nothing comes close to my beloved pes, and will always have special place in my heart.

Thank you.

Great video. That triple save, especially, is wonderful.

Coming to think of it, you don't see a lot of Retro PES saves online. Obviously they're not as sexy as goals, and they're also that little bit more difficult to capture. But seeing clips like that give you an appreciation of just how varied they can be.

@Chilleverest Nice video. :) Number 3 is sensational, what a triple save.

Number 4 reminds me of this incredible save I posted in our Amador thread from a keeper with 48(!) for GK skill

I've seen this only a handful of times on PES 5 & 6, It always amazes me how they was able to programme something like that on the PS2, It seems to only affect goal keepers. Sometimes it happens when a striker is about to shoot and they'll do a little stutter/feint type animation but it just looks like slight hesitancy.

It's clearly not inverse kinetics, PES wouldn't incorporate those until 2011 but it's still a neat piece of coding where the goal keeper could just concede anyway because the game used the wrong animation of him sticking his arm up.

@Chilleverest
That tripple save 😍
@Cubii97
Every PES game I owned for PS2.
I even did it back on the Amiga on Goal! Or SWOS.
I used to take the PS2 to house parties and show them all the creations. If a player did something good and that person was present in the room, they would get cheered, and vice versa if they did something bad.
Regarding SWOS, I loved the fake Custom teams.
swos_original_custom_teams.png

Have you guys ever created your school team, friends etc... in RETRO PES? Just asking because i did and its very funny and good

Update NoTE: strongly suggest the TL;DR version in the end of the post! :)

Funny enough, I started doing this in FIFA 99 PC!! Over Hamburg (HSV). I was messing with the kit colors, basically as I did not know how RGB works, back then, Iade them either total black or total white, (same issue inKCEO ISS about RGB) First I created my self, editing over a player IIRC and then some friends from Junior High school.

In ISS pro Evo 2, PES 1 and 2 for PSX going to Senior High school, my family moved house to other side of the city, from east end to west end, and chamlnged school, so I had 22 players, 11 east side friends and 11 west side friends, old and new hood, over Greece NT. So every couch VS with my friend in my memory card, was Greece VS Greece. Needles to say that everyone was maximum rated in all stats and 2,10 or 2, 05 meters tall!! :)

Then I went to university, PES3 came to PC with more possibilities, so I created two separate clubs, west side friends and East side friends.

PES4 and PES5 continue the tradition and take a leap to realism and mature!!! :), I started giving everyone realistic stats, attributes, heights, weights (as long as it was possible)

PES 6 with the blank Bundesliga, Team A, Team B, etc.and happened a real revolution. New realistic-reworked stats, so my friends were not anymore better that any professional players in the game database, and a whole package of 4 teams to pick and play:

1.. East side friends - Junior High school
2.. West Side friends - Senior High school
3. University friends
4. Friends from my mom's home village (where I used to spent summer vacation in school).

The plan was to create one 5th team with people I hated in my life, that were enemies or caused me problems, although it was difficult to find 22 people that I considered enemies and matched the age criteria of PES, age 17~40.

Then I should find other 3 concept teams and have a package of 8 teams for a get to go Cup or competition.

But there were problems, like we were aging / grow up, it was difficult to find 2 GKs for every team, for example in one team, a friend of mine was both Striker and temporary GK as he did in real life, nobody wanted to play as GK!!

Then I had the problem that I should create multiple versions of myself, as I was pointing myself in the present stats wise, but the friends from my first school were l created from the past POV I had in my mind, when I was playing football with them in school, so I should have a version of myself1999-2001, a version of myself 2002-2004, and so on... And I was forced to place myself in university team, to be more loyal to real life, despite at that time, I had still stronger bonds with my friends from school, than my Co-students.

Then due to me inevitable growing up and being more mature and more attracted to start editing on more realistic concepts, like real season Option files, etc, the project was disbanded and I retired myself as a PES in-game player, from the age of 21yo.

TL;DR: yes I did, FIFA 99 PC, every iss and pes in PSX, and then PC again PES3 to PES6.

Last edited:
Have you guys ever created your school team, friends etc... in RETRO PES? Just asking because i did and its very funny and good

I actually put ‘myself’ in my option files as a kind of ‘copyright’ mark.

That way if someone downloads my file and uploads it somewhere else as their own and i come across it, i can say ‘hey punk how comes I am in your option file?’ Not sure if it will stand up in a court of law though :P

Also when i play my ML i like to see where i end up. In my latest ML, Crystal Palace bought me. Made me feel kinda nice inside:DD

Last edited:
I actually put ‘myself’ in my option files as a kind of ‘copyright’ mark.

That way if someone downloads my file and uploads it somewhere else as their own and i come across it, i can say ‘hey punk how comes I am in your option file?’ Not sure if it will stand up in a court of law though :P

Also when i play my ML i like to see where i end up. In my latest ML, Crystal Palace bought me. Made me feel kinda nice inside:DD

me too :D

No ML team would ever buy a player that bad though. :LOL:

I've never put myself into an OF but I do have one regular feature in my OF's that would stand out. Every player who isn't a GK always has 5 for GK Stat. As far as I know @Daro 's the only person who has ever noticed (or at least the only one who ever mentioned it!)

@Flipper the Priest how do you edit ISS2? I'm looking to find a way to edit ISS1 for both ML and friendly mode teams and embed the changes in my ISO if possible

Oh shit - I was going to share that, wasn't I! Will do it tonight or tomorrow.

The program is called Do the Evolution :
I've tried to find something similar for ISS PE1 but just can't. @Meazza84? There's a megapack of editing tools out there, which may have something for ISS PE1 on it, but it's huge. 6GB + I think. Haven't summoned the courage to download it!

I always found the Master Leagues on PES 5 & 6 really enjoyable and more rewarding, as the stats of your players would increase (or decrease) much quicker than todays ML versions when you're winning (or losing) matches.

You could build up your youngsters to a great rating in a season if you played them (when winning games), and also, I always remember buying Berbatov in his prime and his rating would get to about 95 overall after a good season (also with a winger called Joaquín). Great times :))

Todays ML versions just seem too slow with player rating development.

I liked you could have the option to turn it on or off too.
I forget, was it possible for players to develop in training mode in ML?

I seem to remember that this was a thing in PES5 but removed in 6, or maybe the other way around.

IIRC it was the same as "challenge training" mode with the different drills, you chose the players to participate and the growth depended on the score you got.

I liked you could have the option to turn it on or off too.
I seem to remember that this was a thing in PES5 but removed in 6, or maybe the other way around.

IIRC it was the same as "challenge training" mode with the different drills, you chose the players to participate and the growth depended on the score you got.

You can increase their stats by training in preseason but i noticed in my ML that the players can develop quite quick doing that. So I have decided to just let them develop naturally by playing matches as it brings more of a challenge.

You can increase their stats by training in preseason but i noticed in my ML that the players can develop quite quick doing that. So I have decided to just let them develop naturally by playing matches as it brings more of a challenge.
Yeah I tried not to boost the young players too much as they'd grow too fast, used it more to try to keep old/favourite players going a bit longer :P.

I did it once

I tried to be realistic in the stats
And it didn't go too well , because I finished last in D2 with the team , I think around 19 points? 😂
It was hilarious

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hO3j4Sh6HDUNoL5vBymNVHCMhYSmIlVZ?usp=sharing

that will give you all an idea of what im doing, should be finished it soon

I checked into the Faces file and there is a mistake, I think. Tiago was never a Porto player, he actually played for Braga and Benfica within your time frame for classic Porto 99-04. And maybe Hugo Almeida shouldn't be in 99-04 Porto team because he played only 1 game in 02/03, 7 games in 03/04 and 5 in 04/05. His big season for Porto was also his last, already in 05/06.

https://www.zerozero.pt/player.php?id=468
https://www.zerozero.pt/jogador.php?id=62&search=1

I checked into the Faces file and there is a mistake, I think. Tiago was never a Porto player, he actually played for Braga and Benfica within your time frame for classic Porto 99-04. And maybe Hugo Almeida shouldn't be in 99-04 Porto team because he played only 1 game in 02/03, 7 games in 03/04 and 5 in 04/05. His big season for Porto was also his last, already in 05/06.

https://www.zerozero.pt/player.php?id=468
https://www.zerozero.pt/jogador.php?id=62&search=1

theres always one :APPLAUD:

ISS Pro Evo 2 turns out to be a blast to play

It was built on very simple tenets: every action on the pitch has a consequence + there is a limit to everything. Stark contrast to the games of today (or even the football of today) where you can pretty much get away with doing dumb shit like skill moves all over the place and there are superhuman players like Ronaldo, Messi, Lewa, Haaland thanks to modern sport science

AI feels very realistic: it doesn't feel supernatural like the cheaty AIs of modern football games, but rather lifelike - for example if you lead they will become rushed especially towards the end of the match: lunges, rash tackles, very hurried attacks

The ball feels amazing when you hit it. The power bar and how it powers up for every situation actually makes sense in this game, it became unfathomable around PES 5/6 where you couldn't really know whether you were hitting the ball too weakly, too strongly, or just right

And I have a question: how do I set my default ML formation? Tired of having to load tactics every time I boot the game up

Very hard match against Liverpool in the 2011 CL quarter-finals. In the first game at Anfield we were better but Macco (not me, of course, Macco...) wasted a couple of chances one on one with Reina that would have warranted a deserved win.

The home leg was a tougher game, with first eleven players such as Jaric, Stein, Bos, Fouque, Libermann, and even the never tired Ruskin out for the match. But the game did kick off in a welcoming fashion, four minutes in and a penalty awarded after Ordaz went down in the box. The Spanish goalscoring machine failed at his job though, with Dudek, apparently quite a good keeper when it comes to stopping penalties, doing just that. Some critics might say that that's what you get when you almost always aim it for the middle expecting a rebound in the worst case scenario, noone can tell for sure... There were some opportunities for both sides thereafter, but it was Liverpool who loomed in dangerously around Benfica's box, taking advantage of a slow back-four consisting of the veterans Espimas and Ximelez on the wings, with Stremer and Schwarz in the center.

Eventually, the «reds» (the away ones) took the lead with 50 minutes in, Luis García found space thorugh the right and shot for goal. Ivarov was there to stop him, but his save merely deflected the ball onto Riise's run from the left, who finished accurately into an empty goal. The clock kept on ticking and inspiration remained to be found. Valeny and Ceciu were brought in to spare the exausted Ximelez and Iouga, who played as the anchor man in a three man midfield, quite lacking in endurance in this later stage of their careers. In also came Castolo to play as an improvised left winger, taking the place of an inconsequiental and ot of gas Burchet. In the last 10 minutes Benfica went full on attack and their efforts were rewarded when Castolo found space on his flank and crossed into the box where Ordaz was ready and waiting. A classy finish sent the game into extra-time.

After the 90 minutes, Benfica kept pressing high up and Liverpool struggled to create danger with Cissé wasting the most dangerous plays by the visitors. Despite some good chances, as the 120' mark was hit, the penalty shootout seemed like an inevitable outcome, but WE9's defensive recklessness rewarded Castolo with a tackle inside the box. Ordaz was the man who was supposed to take the ensuing penalty kick, but Castolo was feeling inspired and relieved the colleague from such a heavy responsability. The Brazilian converted with a powerful and precise shot to Dudek's right side, impossible for him or anyone to touch. And so it finished, with Benfica heading into the UCL semis where Real Madrid awaits, but not before the man of the match celebrated with his little dance.

Attachments

• ucl quarterf vs liverpool.jpg
    ucl quarterf vs liverpool.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom